Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? (8285 Views)

Democracy Day Speech By Yemi Osinbajo, The Acting President / Bursted: Lies In Pmb Independence Day Speech. / Caption These 2 PMB's Independence Day Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Sheikwonder(m): 3:48pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Smh

If we are to go by your logic, then such other agencies like the Police, FRSCN, etc, qualify as revenue generating agencies, since they also issue and collect fines too undecided

Don't do this to yourself,know when you're beaten.

The Police,FRSC etc are all part of the Civil Service.The Civil Service is an organisation that assists the political executives in the formation,implementation & execution of government policies.

Because the primary duty of government is to protect her people,the Police is set up to enforce this policy by maintaining law & order.

Do they generate revenue?Absolutely YES! Money seized from money launderers,drug smugglers etc. are revenue which finds it's way into government coffers.The CBN and NCC also generate funds through sales of treasury bills & licensing respectively.But,that is not their primary objective.

So speaking technically,the President in that regard was not wrong.

I hope that clears that.

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dialfa: 4:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:
in as much as I would like to berate the President for not taking note of those errors during his routine review, I think using such derogatory words on him is a misnomer and unacceptable bro. He is our President smiley

He is your president.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by obailala(m): 4:19pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:
Having painstakenly taken a very calm perusal at the draft copy of President Buhari's independence day speech, I can not but begin to wonder who drafted the speech of this importance.

The said speech is regrettebly fraught with some collosal errors, and I make bold to say here, has caused us an international embarassment.

In the second paragraph for instance, the President opined that Nigeria is the "ninth most populous nation" in the world.

Any one who knows elementary government do not need to consult an oracle before realizing that Nigeria is infact, the 7th most populous Nation in the world.

Furthermore, in the 17th paragraph, another laughable error was made, when the President said "...I have ordered a complete audit of our other revenue generating agencies, mainly CBN, FIRS, Customs, NCC..."

Apart from FIRS and Customs mentioned above, surely, neither the CBN nor the NCC qualify as a revenue generating agency. To be sure, both agencies are strickly speaking, regulatory agencies.

Or has the scope of those agencies been reviewed to include generating revenue for the country?

If the President have severally been discribed as some one who takes his time in anything he does, one who pays attention to every detail, then this speech leaves much to be desired.

You are not even a quarter as smart as you think you are and you have just opened a thread to expose your ignorance. I would have just ignored your gibberish and moved on, but there are many like you out there who may innocently not be knowledgeable in these things and who may innocently read your erroneous assumptions and be misled by its content.

Nigeria being the 9th or 7th most populous country in the world is debatable, and I'm sure the people writing those speeches are not nobodies. Secondly, the CBN and NCC are massive revenue generators for the government. A little extra diligence on google would have saved you this trouble.

4 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by PointB: 4:22pm On Oct 01, 2015
HungerBAD:
Interesting Critique.

But, what advice or deed have you contributed to Nigeria that can make her great? You guys just bunch together in one corner and look for faults.

Now proffer one sensible way forward.

That's his prerogative. On the other hand, the duara dullard has plethora of special advisers, and if he prefers Ministers whose job it is to[i] proffer sensible way forward[/i].

The Op raised a valid concern though, what the point of 'thoroughness' when end product is fraught with several of same or similar defect as previous ones?

Buhari doesn't seem to know what he's doing, and those around him are proving nothing but bunch of incompetent sods!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by obailala(m): 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

That's his prerogative. On the other hand, the duara dullard has plethora of special advisers, and if he prefers Ministers whose job it is to[i] proffer sensible way forward[/i].

The Op raised a valid concern though, what the point of 'thoroughness' when end product is fraught with several of same or similar defect as previous ones?

Buhari doesn't seem to know what he's doing, and those around him are proving nothing but bunch of incompetent sods!
So you agree with what the Op has stated?
Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by PointB: 4:40pm On Oct 01, 2015
obailala:
So you agree with what the Op has stated?

Put in another context, why did it take the duara dullard ages to make a list of ministerial nominees, only to have it replete with same old and tired politicians with substantial corruption cases etc dangling around them? Yet, we are to accept that a thorough job was done. Thorough must have a new meaning!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by obailala(m): 4:44pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

PointB:

Put in another context, why did it take the duara dullard ages to make a list of ministerial nominees, only to have it replete with same old and tired politicians with substantial corruption cases etc dangling around them? Yet, we are to accept that a thorough job was done. Thorough must have a new meaning!
Are you okay?

Where is the connection between your 2 statements and the question I asked?... Why are you sounding like a nagging that can't even define what her grievance is? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by PointB: 4:47pm On Oct 01, 2015
obailala:

Are you okay?

Where is the connection between your 2 statements and the question I asked?... Why are you sounding like a nagging that can't even define what her grievance is? undecided

You don't see the connection between two despite my emphasis on 'thoroughness' ? I must have overestimated your intelligence. My bad!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by obailala(m): 4:58pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

You don't see the connection between two despite my emphasis on 'thoroughness' ? I must have overestimated your intelligence. My bad!
I simply asked you if you agreed with the insinuations of the Op about the president's speech being wrong. Instead of answering the simple question, you proceeded to yap about lateness / thoroughness in appointing ministers.

Who exactly needs to be more thorough here?... Maybe if you spent 45 seconds to read through the responses on this thread, you wouldn't be making such quick conclusions based on the Op's erroneous assumptions.

5 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by snakie86: 5:09pm On Oct 01, 2015
obailala:

I simply asked you if you agreed with the insinuations of the Op about the president's speech being wrong. Instead of answering the simple question, you proceeded to yap about lateness / thoroughness in appointing ministers.

Who exactly needs to be more thorough here?... Maybe if you spent 45 seconds to read through the responses on this thread, you wouldn't be making such quick conclusions based on the Op's erroneous assumptions.

Abeg forget abt @pointB....even d op dat started this don run away commot 4 d thread

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by PointB: 5:17pm On Oct 01, 2015
obailala:

If the President have severally been discribed as some one who takes his time in anything he does, one who pays attention to every detail, then this speech leaves much to be desired.

The above is the Op's final conclusion.

That much I agree. The speech leaves much to be desired especially as it's content is very much a banal rehash of old rhetoric.

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by obailala(m): 5:26pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

The above is the Op's final conclusion.

That much I agree. The speech leaves much to be desired especially as it's content is very much a banal rehash of old rhetoric.
The speech was concise and straight to the point... shortest independent day speech ever. I'm sure you would agree with me that we need more action and not speeches?... The speech was perfect!

As for the 2 points the Op pointed out, the Op was wrong, there are no mistakes in the speech. Even the Op has been educated and he has abandoned the thread.

3 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by PedroJP(m): 5:27pm On Oct 01, 2015
989900:
Why is the OP making a mockery of himself?

1. PMB didn't write that speech -- it was written by professionals in-the-know, do you know more than them?

2. They do generate revenue.

so professionals are now ur infallible gods and idols ? To you, u can never correct a prof and u can never stand on what u believe against a prof. Don't counter me, try and understand wat u wrote there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 01, 2015
The op has been schooled

3 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by PointB: 5:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
obailala:
The speech was concise and straight to the point... shortest independent day speech ever. I'm sure you would agree with me that we need more action and not speeches?... I do not need long speeches, his speech was perfect.

As for the 2 points the Op pointed out, the Op was wrong, there are no mistakes in the speech.

Concise, straight to the point and short is not same as refreshing, inspiring, with bold ideas. If this speech is your idea of perfection, I'm afraid mediocrity will find a comfortable resting place in your corner!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by obailala(m): 5:48pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

Concise, straight to the point and short is not same as[i] refreshing, inspiring, with bold ideas[/i]. If this speech is your idea of perfection, I'm afraid mediocrity will find a comfortable resting place in your corner!
Well I'm sorry, for me and many Nigerians, there's nothing wrong with the speech; it was a mere independent day speech and not some revolutionary announcement. If you think the speech should have been more bloated with 'stellar' ideas, then maybe you should bring up those ideas here for discussion and some way somehow, someone on this forum who's connected will get your bright ideas to the knowledge of the authorities. This administration is eager to impress, so I'm sure they would welcome such fresh ideas.

4 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by PointB: 6:05pm On Oct 01, 2015
obailala:
Well I'm sorry, for me and many Nigerians, there's nothing wrong with the speech; it was a mere independent day speech and not some revolutionary announcement. If you think the speech should have been more bloated with 'stellar' ideas, then maybe you should bring up those ideas here for discussion and some way somehow, someone on this forum who's connected will get your bright ideas to the knowledge of the authorities. This administration is eager to impress, so I'm sure they would welcome such fresh ideas.

Hehehe, perhaps you didn't read me well the first time.
PointB:

That's his prerogative.[size=18pt] On the other hand, the duara dullard has plethora of special advisers, and if he prefers Ministers whose job it is to proffer sensible way forward.
[/size]

There it, big and bold.

I can't think for the dullard, he's got paid goons to do that. It's not my fault they are mediocre!

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by omolami: 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2015
When someone without secondary school leaving certificate govern a country, what do you expect?

3 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by engrhorla(m): 6:16pm On Oct 01, 2015
byrron:

Top 20 Most Populous Countries in the World in 2015
http://www.richestlifestyle.com/most-populous-countries-in-the-world/

Thought i should back up the comment above with some facts by providing the link above as well as enhancing the course of education on this forum.

According to Wikipedia which I just checked, Nigeria is d 7th most populous country in d world..

However, leave op alone. He's having fun
Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 01, 2015
engrhorla:

According to Wikipedia which I just checked, Nigeria is d 7th most populous country in d world..

However, leave op alone. He's having fun

I am confused, didn't the link i provided corroborate with what the OP said along with the Wikipedia you wrote about?

Whats your point?

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by neocortex: 6:29pm On Oct 01, 2015
I am not surprised , PMB can't comprehend the speech let alone
detect the errors in it.

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by engrhorla(m): 6:30pm On Oct 01, 2015
byrron:

I am confused, didn't the link i provided corroborate with what the OP said along with the Wikipedia you wrote about?

Whats your point?

Yea, it did!

We are on the same page boss!
Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 6:30pm On Oct 01, 2015
OKUCHI11:
thank u sir4 this informative analysis.....
Gej spoke excellently well but he is still regarded as a president with the low self esteem.....even university lecturers could not obey HIS ORDER......, he could nt control his own wife.....so who GOOD SPEECH COM HELP......FAULT FINDERS WILL ALWAYS FIND FAULT
GEJ spoke excellently well ?

Where is your shop ?

Cos asking for your school will be an embarrassment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
neocortex:
I am not surprised , PMB can't comprehend the speech let alone
detect the errors in it.

You read the headline and jumped on the queue of stupeedity.

Read facts that shows both u and the poster require brain transplant

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:33pm On Oct 01, 2015
Op, you're wrong. Why not concern yourself with the lie of Jonathan in his 2012 Independence Anniversary's blunder? He lied that in the ranking of the Transperency International (TI), Nigeria ranked second, after the US, in the first against corruption. Go read the reaction of the TI.

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 6:34pm On Oct 01, 2015
omolami:
When someone without secondary school leaving certificate govern a country, what do you expect?

We expect eediots that graduate without common sense to type thrash without investigating.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 6:36pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

There it, big and bold.

I can't think for the dullard, he's got paid goons to do that. It's not my fault they are mediocre!

What made them mediocres ?

1mbeciles like you will not even check facts before disgracing yourselves on a public forum.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by meforyou1(m): 6:36pm On Oct 01, 2015
Why are people so ignorant?
CBN is a revenue generating agency.
When u provide banking services, don't you generate revenue? Is it a charity organisation?

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 6:38pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

None of the concerns were valid. Except to lazy thinkers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Timothybonyi(m): 6:39pm On Oct 01, 2015

[/quote]

is that the right spelling for 'discribed' mr corrector?
You self check your grammar.
It is described and not discribed. Ok?

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by neocortex: 6:39pm On Oct 01, 2015
dammytosh:

You read the headline and jumped on the queue of stupeedity.

Read facts that shows both u and the poster require brain transplant

I am not a Zombie like you who rely on misleading
headline to score cheap points.

just answer these 2 questions that my 13 year old nephew will easily
provide answer:

1.) Is Nigeria the 9th most populous country ?

2.) What qualifies an agency to be a revenue generating agency ?

Those are the 2 questions Buhari and his advisers found too difficult to
tackle.

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by obailala(m): 6:50pm On Oct 01, 2015
PointB:

There it, big and bold.

Well, well, well! about the speech being mediocre, that's just your subjective opinion, the opinion of one unknown man, and the last time I checked, your opinion doesn't really matter in the bigger scheme of things Mr Smart... does it?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kwara State Governor dumps APC And Defects To PDP / Ugwuanyi’s Wife Donates Cervical Cancer Screening Machines / NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.