Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? (8279 Views)

Democracy Day Speech By Yemi Osinbajo, The Acting President / Bursted: Lies In Pmb Independence Day Speech. / Caption These 2 PMB's Independence Day Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 6:54pm On Oct 01, 2015
neocortex:

I am not a Zombie like you who rely on misleading
headline to score cheap points.

just answer these 2 questions that my 13 year old nephew will easily
provide answer:

1.) Is Nigeria the 9th most populous country ?
What

2.) What qualifies an agency to be a revenue generating agency ?

Those are the 2 questions Buhari and his advisers found too difficult
tackle.

I am not gifted to teach dumb people obvious things.

Let me try.

1. Nobody knows Nigeria's position as population census was done years ago. Some school of thought says 7th while some says 9th.

None can lay claim to accuracy as Mortality and birth rate is unknown since the last population census. Most things out there are simply speculations

2. Any agency adding to the bottom line of the federal Government is REVENUE GENERATING. They remit some amount of money from time to time.
CBN and NCC generates revenue too.
In 2012, Auditor general said CBN was the highest revenue generating agency for that year.
With revenue running into billions.
(One will think that is a very simple question for a graduate no wonder employment rate is very high)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 6:56pm On Oct 01, 2015
...and so I decided to open a thread where I objectively raised some salient points, backing same with relevant authorities when counter-arguments were put forward by some civil nairalanders. Having taken a calm look at most of the comments this thread has elicited, I can not but realize that some people are so pained that when ever they come across any thread not singing the praise of PMB, they trow caution to the wind and resort to name calling and making primordial arguments.

Well, for the sake of knowledge and the furtherance of same, I make bold to challenge any one who thinks he/she has what it takes to objectively water down any of the points so raised in this thread, to indicate and step forward.

Until that is done, I will allow y'all to be having the fun of your lives, while I observe from the back seat cheesy

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 6:58pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:
...and so I decided to open a thread where I objectively raised some salient points, backing same with relevant authorities when counter-arguments were put forward by some civil nairalanders. Having taken a calm look at most of the comments this thread has elicited, I can not but realize that some people are so pained that when ever they come across any thread not singing the praise of PMB, they trow caution to the wind and resort to name calling and making primordial arguments.

Well, for the sake of knowledge and the furtherance of same, I make bold to challenge any one who thinks he/she has what it takes to objectively water down any of the points so raised in this thread, to indicate and step forward.

Until that is done, I will allow y'all to be having the fun of your life, while I observe from the back seat cheesy

dammytosh:

1. Nobody knows Nigeria's position as population census was done years ago. Some school of thought says 7th while some says 9th.
None can lay claim to accuracy as Mortality and birth rate is unknown since the last population census. Most things out there are simply speculations

2. Any agency adding to the bottom line of the federal Government is REVENUE GENERATING. They remit some amount of money from time to time.
In 2012, Auditor general said CBN was the highest revenue generating agency for that year.
(One will think that is a very simple question for a graduate no wonder employment rate is very high)

You have ur answers you can deny it once again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by saint047(m): 7:01pm On Oct 01, 2015
Buhari's speech didn't tell us anything new - "I won the elections, Jonathan conceded, Boko Haram & IDPs, Power & NNPC, I sent the list"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by gsparks01(m): 7:12pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Until that is done, I will allow y'all to be having the fun of your life, while I observe from the back seat cheesy

and it seems that you're are just not interested in knowing that the speech had no error as you claim. It sure seems like you're the one who will stop at nothing in belittling and undermining the Buhari administration. You have work to do o! It's FOUR years

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 7:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
dammytosh:

You have ur answers you can deny it once again

Did you take out time to dig out the UN world population Report I cited? I hope you understand that even when there are conflicting opinions on any particular subject matter, opinions of international organizations like the UN are[b] HIGHLY[/b] regarded?

I never refuted the claim that the CBN and NCC do not have the capacity of generating funds internally, I however asked if they are STRICTLY, revenue generating agencies, bearing in mind their core functionalities.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by tuniski: 7:18pm On Oct 01, 2015
989900:
Why is the OP making a mockery of himself?

1. PMB didn't write that speech -- it was written by professionals in-the-know, do you know more than them?

2. They do generate revenue.

Put half the energy you put into this sham, into finding out how -- you'll be a better man for it.
nonsense it could have been u writing the speech. The observations were well on point. They were errors QED!

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by meforyou1(m): 7:20pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Did you take out time to dig out the UN world population Report I cited? I hope you understand that even when there are conflicting opinions on any particular subject matter, opinions of international organizations like the UN are[b] HIGHLY[/b] regarded?

I never refuted the claim that the CBN and NCC do not have the capacity of generating funds internally, I however asked if they are STRICTLY, revenue generating agencies, bearing in mind their core functionalities.
CBN and NCC are revenue generating agencies. Take it like that

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 01, 2015
engrhorla:

Yea, it did!

We are on the same page boss!

Cheers Bro

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by lilyayo(m): 7:38pm On Oct 01, 2015
like seriously u jus making a mockery of urself bro everything the president said is correct I guess u didnt do a thorough research before coming out here to make noise

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by neocortex: 7:52pm On Oct 01, 2015
dammytosh:

I am not gifted to teach dumb people obvious things.

Let me try.

You didn't disappoint me one bit,
you are not different form other trolls on Nairaland.

I asked you two simple questions but you ended up beating about the bush
just to sound smart.

There is hardly any important topic in the world that does not have some level
of controversy surrounding them , that doesn't preclude smart people from making
wise decisions on such.

You can wallow in your ignorance for all I care.
Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by neocortex: 8:01pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Until that is done, I will allow y'all to be having the fun of your lives, while I observe from the back seat cheesy

Don't be surprised because many are paid trolls and part
of their job is to shout down any opposing voice of reason.
No need being deterred by such thuggish behaviors.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Are you a Narcissist? You better check yourself out because you have been schooled to the depth in previous posts on this thread.
Please don't keep on wasting our time with "much ado about nothing"

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Sheikwonder(m): 8:26pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Why are you dragging yourself further down this quagmire of ignominy?

The President referred to the audit of CBN & NCC as OTHER revenue generating agencies as against the NNPC and co. which provide the oil revenue and are being audited.

Are you this impervious to reason?
What can you possibly stand to gain by towing this line of irrationality?

Do the CBN & NCC generate revenue? Yes!
So stop parading your ignorance and just accept that you erred.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Enice(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

so the word STRICTLY is what makes the President embarrassing to the international community? You insult your president because NCC and CBN are not strictly revenue generating agencies?

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by meforyou1(m): 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2015
Enice:
so the word STRICTLY is what makes the President embarrassing to the international community? You insult your president because NCC and CBN are not strictly revenue generating agencies?
I am a Jonathanian, but I like people to make criticisms with facts and knowledge. Is there any department or agency of the government tasked with strictly generating revenue for the government? Fact is CBN and NCC generates revenue for the government.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Dannyset(m): 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2015
OnReflection:

Since the FGN thinks otherwise, would it not make sense to apprise yourself with more up to date information? cool

Source: NNPC, CBN, NIMASA, FCT, others hold back govt’s N8.8tr, says report

By the way, according to the UN, the population figure of 183,408,000 - which situates Nigeria in seventh place - is a projected one.

You don't know some people don't know the meaning of population projection.
If this thread was taken to FP, this OP would have received the disgrace of his life. He just goofed all round the place.

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by OKUCHI11(m): 9:07pm On Oct 01, 2015
dammytosh:

GEJ spoke excellently well ?

Where is your shop ?

Cos asking for your school will be an embarrassment.
so u know that school did nt help any 1 ........hmmm ....com my shop com learn or u will serve me for seven years me with ur certificate ...cos I can see the anguish of unemployment in you

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by 3kay945(m): 9:51pm On Oct 01, 2015
likata:
the only time he does not make error is when he grants interview with bbc hause

Though PMB is my man but your comment still amuse me. cheesy cheesy
Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by wirinet(m): 9:56pm On Oct 01, 2015
evilspirit:

GSM licences were sold for 285 million dollars while GLO got his own for 200 million

Yes GSM licence was sold for $285 million each . Econet and MTN were able to beat the deadline for payment, but Adenuga's CTL was unable to meet the deadline so they had to forfeit their $20 milliondeposit. Less than a year latter Adenuga through his new company Globacom paid $200 million dollars for national carrier license, meaning he can operate all telecommunication services including international gateway and not just GSM

References - http://naijagists.com/mike-adenuga-biography-the-richest-man-in-nigeria/

edit: I mistakenly wrote the Globacom bought the national carrier license for $1BILLION, it was actually $200 million. Apologies for the mix up.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 10:20pm On Oct 01, 2015
For the records, did any one here watch Nancy Iloh's "Money Show" that featured a former deputy Governor of the CBN today on AIT?

Paraphrasing her opening remarks, "I was taken aback when the President did mention the CBN as a revenue generating agency..."
Then she quickly asked the guest (former CBN duputy governor) for his thoughts on that. Although the guest smartly didn't categorically state that the President erred, he did point out that the CBN strickly speaking, isn't a revenue generating agency.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make use of google or any other similar online search engines, y'all that are learned enough should take further pleasure in cross checking my source.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by ideykwum: 10:34pm On Oct 01, 2015
Good criticism!

Tomjazzy2:
Having painstakenly taken a very calm perusal at the draft copy of President Buhari's independence day speech, I can not but begin to wonder who drafted the speech of this importance.

The said speech is regrettebly fraught with some collosal errors, and I make bold to say here, has caused us an international embarassment.

In the second paragraph for instance, the President opined that Nigeria is the "ninth most populous nation" in the world.

Any one who knows elementary government do not need to consult an oracle before realizing that Nigeria is infact, the 7th most populous Nation in the world.

Furthermore, in the 17th paragraph, another laughable error was made, when the President said "...I have ordered a complete audit of our other revenue generating agencies, mainly CBN, FIRS, Customs, NCC..."

Apart from FIRS and Customs mentioned above, surely, neither the CBN nor the NCC qualify as a revenue generating agency. To be sure, both agencies are strickly speaking, regulatory agencies.

Or has the scope of those agencies been reviewed to include generating revenue for the country?

If the President have severally been discribed as some one who takes his time in anything he does, one who pays attention to every detail, then this speech leaves much to be desired.

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by mapet: 10:37pm On Oct 01, 2015
wirinet:

You refused to discus further on NCC, so i assume you admit you did not look critically at the fallacious academic work that says NCC is not a revenue generating agency. Even at the begining of GSM introduction in Nigera, NCC sold GSM licenses for more than $600million. Glo alone bought the 2nd National carrier license for 1billion dollars.

I left out the CBN delibrately because the CBN is more complex. It is not strictly a revenue generating agency as its function is primarily to act as a Banker to the federal government, But ECN101 would tell you that CBNs all over the world also acts as banker to the private banks ie commercial, investment and all other banks. Now are you telling me CBN provides banking services to Banks for free?

You are just looking for excuses to insult your president (yes, your president), and you look for the most stupid excuse to do so.

About the discrepancies in the populations figures, you should know that Nigeria's population figures is in dispute. Even the website you provides says;

The figures were not termed official like the others, it is just an educated guess. So you are just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Besides a Nigerian president (on a day like October 1st) WILL only rely on the CURRENT and OFFICIAL census figures and not some random website or supposed UN figures

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by mapet: 10:47pm On Oct 01, 2015
engrhorla:

According to Wikipedia which I just checked, Nigeria is d 7th most populous country in d world..

However, leave op alone. He's having fun

...and you don't know tha wikipedia is;
1. Not a certified reference source
2. an open source that anybody updates

Do you quote wikipedia in your school projects?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by mapet: 11:05pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

@OP
1. I'm trying to place your gaffe here. Is it the case of educated ignorance, blatant arrogance, ridiculous ignorance or crass immaturity.

2. There is absolutely nothing wrong in punching holes in PMB's speech. If the motive is altruistic (as it is obviously not), then it will serve to enlighten our collective development. Unfortunately your heading itself gave you away, what international embarrassment?

3. It will seem to me you have unfortunately overrated your intellectual capabilities. Not that you don't have them, but humility can lighten it up many at times. You'll have appeared smarter, If you've approached this from a POV of opening up a debate. You claim to have painstakingly reviewed the speech, yet you demonstrate shortcomings that belie your "painstakingness". I mean quoting referencing that are not certified, not understanding contexts and getting into the complicated mess of what should and should not be revenue generating agency?

3 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by mikolo80: 11:09pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:
Having painstakenly taken a very calm perusal at the draft copy of President Buhari's independence day speech, I can not but begin to wonder who drafted the speech of this importance.

The said speech is regrettebly fraught with some collosal errors, and I make bold to say here, has caused us an international embarassment.

In the second paragraph for instance, the President opined that Nigeria is the "ninth most populous nation" in the world.

Any one who knows elementary government do not need to consult an oracle before realizing that Nigeria is infact, the 7th most populous Nation in the world.

my google says 8th most populous
how would you feel if i called you an embarrassment for information you no know how dem(oyinnbo) take generateke silverback wen koji de hook
yet you're beating chest li

Furthermore, in the 17th paragraph, another laughable error was made, when the President said "...I have ordered a complete audit of our other revenue generating agencies, mainly CBN, FIRS, Customs, NCC..."

Apart from FIRS and Customs mentioned above, surely, neither the CBN nor the NCC qualify as a revenue generating agency. To be sure, both agencies are strickly speaking, regulatory agencies.

define revenue generating
anywhere you pay money
mtn et al pay for licenses
fines
mast approval
same with cbn from banks
so you see how unintellient you look now when all you needed was to do some elementary thinking outside your closed dense box

Or has the scope of those agencies been reviewed to include generating revenue for the country?

If the President have severally been discribed as some one who takes his time in anything he does, one who pays attention to every detail, then this speech leaves much to be desired.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by NewNigeriaMind: 11:35pm On Oct 01, 2015
The creator of this thread just didn't understand the meaning of terms used in finance.

So for clarity purposes, there are no errors in the speech.

1 the population of Nigeria as it stands cannot be accurately ascertained. But if you are quoting a source for academic purposes, pls leave out the wiki. It will do you a lot of good in the future if you can note this point.

2. For those that might not know, the CBN and NCC are in fact revenue generating agencies. Get their annual budgets, these agencies have revenue projections and other income.

Now people, pls let's forgive the guy.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Neverquit(f): 11:52pm On Oct 01, 2015
First of all grin grin grin grin...I can't get enough of that emoji.

I am neither for nor against Buhari, I am for good governance. I could care less the person responsible for enacting that change.

That being said, let us be objective in our criticism of the government. Let's be open minded.

If we made errors, let's be willing to make and accept corrections.

Op, you goofed.

When I read your post, it got me thinking that Buhari goofed, then I read the counter arguments. The counter arguments made me realized that I also goofed because I didn't do my own research. I eventually did.

Please y'all, don't let your blatant hatred for this government to cloud your judgment.

Let us be objective.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Hannysmilez(f): 12:36am On Oct 02, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

First of all you started the name calling. I do not know if Nigeria is the 7th or 9th most populous nation but what I do know is this.
Buhari is OUR President,wether we call him a dullard or an illetrate doesn't change it.
Secondly,we are Africans and Im sure we were taught 2respect our elders. That man is someone's father,uncle,grandpa nd husband,he is 72 for crying out loud whereas im nt sure ure 50 yet. Give honor to whom it's due. At least not goin to school is the reason for his dumbness. Patience Jonathan has a Doctorate degree or so I heard and what do we have to show for it, "...all the blood you are sharing in 'Borunu'?!?"

2 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by 989900: 12:55am On Oct 02, 2015
tuniski:
nonsense it could have been u writing the speech. The observations were well on point. They were errors QED!

What observations are on point?

And what are the errors?

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by IceDude(m): 1:04am On Oct 02, 2015
Boss13:

Buhari has said he is only going to run for a single tenure so why spend so much negative energy trying to convince people to hate him. Channel this wasted energies in contributing to make this country great
Single tenure ke? Am sure Robert Mugabe said the same thing before i was born

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by leofab(f): 1:12am On Oct 02, 2015
snakie86:

I can't help but laugh about how knoledgeable you are.....if cbn and ncc doesnt generate revenue aside their regulatory functions then what do they do?
I guess u dont know that they collect fines and charges on behalf of the FG.....CBN sells treasury bills and forex, the income they get is what?
So far internet is now cheap doesnt mean we can right rubbish or shouldnt take our time to research very well before spitting out.
Atleast google can help u with the financials of these organizations to know how much they generate as income/profit on a yearly basis
so NPF should be listed as an IGR source also?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arrest And Interrogate Senator Ibikunle Amosun Now - CPPM / Video of ondo state / Breaking: Kwankwanso Steps Down For Tinubu, To Join APC On Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.