Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die (70524 Views)

4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin / 13 Nigerian Foods That Are Better When Eaten Together / 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Zeus777: 11:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
nifton:

Guy abeg free dat Igbo mata make this 1daful thread no take -ve dimemsion.
#No offense.
dont mind that oga tonychrisopher his E tribalism fights appear to know no bounds.But on a serious note the igbos hv got some very nice delicacies. But op u messed up big time cus while u where showin us isiewu u said it was nkwobi... I am a gr8 fan of Isiewu. Though am unapologetically Yoruba but as far as am concerned isiewu shytes on all other Nigerian food combined cheesy
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by hakinze00(m): 11:24pm On Oct 07, 2015
Op na only igbo food full the list jare,what about eba with edikikang,yam pepper soup that calabar does,Amala with efo riro etc,i agree with most of ur listing but not all,at least i ve eaten 1,2,3,4,7,8, and 9
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Rick9(m): 11:39pm On Oct 07, 2015
buygala:
JOLOF RICE NKO?

Or is op reporting live from Uzbekistan, his birthplace? undecided

To talk about Nigerian foods and not talk about Jolof Rice is sinful, sacrilegious, repugnant, and infinitely abhorrent angry

Mehn I tire for this OP oh.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Solomonodimegwu(m): 12:01am On Oct 08, 2015
midolian:
so where are you now?
MALI lol!
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by ebukaOtika(m): 12:02am On Oct 08, 2015
Ukwa (African Bread friut)no dey dis list fa ... Op if u chop dis one eh .... U go sabi road to Spain from Benin Bypass
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 12:31am On Oct 08, 2015
For those interested, you should also try. These:
1- beniseed soup with bushmeat and pounded cassava mixed with sweet potato. It is a Tiv delicacy from benue state Nigeria.
2- Ukpo ogede (plantain moi-moi); a delicacy in Enugu state and some parts of Imo state. The taste is next to none.
3- Miyar aleho with Tuwon dawa and kunun tsaki. A hausa meal that would tickle your taste buds.
4- Gbugba Fia (okra peppersoup); an ijaw soup made with okra, meat, peppers and seafood. The soup is stretchy and someworth watery, it goes down well with fufu.
5- Ofe Ujuju (Veronica comforter soup); this soup belongs to the Ika speaking people of Delta state. This soup is demolished with akpu and the taste is out of this world.
6- Ewa Agoyin (agoyin beans); this food is very popular in Lagos and Ogun states. The beans porridge is cooked and hawked by mostly beninois women. Your Ewa agoyin won't be a treat without agege bread. I eat this at alausa ikeja whenever I visit naija.
7- kunun geda; this is a hausa delicacy. Groundnut and rice are made into light pap and it tastes nice with milk and sugar.
8- Ijebu Garri, Fried fish/meat; one trial will convince you.
9- Suya; be it ram suya, beef suya, Chicken suya, whichever, you ll be in for a good time.
10- Banga soup and Starch; those wen chop this one no fit carry last.
11- goat meat peppersoup; what an indescribable feeling!
12- Kilishi; majorly made by the Hausas, but consumed by all. Meat is thinly sliced, battered in spices, sun-dried for days and then put in an earthen oven to finish off. If you are in abuja, the best place to buy kilishi is shagalinku (area 11 near NTA), Yahooza (garki 2), Mallam Abdul (behind Area 2 shopping complex, near the post office). In Kaduna, Malali has many spots. In Yola, Jimeta is the place to go.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 12:33am On Oct 08, 2015
midolian:
hun! shocked ..what are the best meals over there, kashybaby? grin

In Singapore...chicken rice, chilli crab, roast pork, Peking duck, deep fried Buffalo frog, cream of mushroom...mostly Chinese food... grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by illiad: 12:36am On Oct 08, 2015
Funjosh:
Op needs to. Travell round Nigeris then you will know that most of the food you posted are mere junks tongue

Lol

See frustration
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Revolva(m): 12:39am On Oct 08, 2015
grin grin grin grin where is Amala na....where is Amala na where is Amala na where is Amala na where is Amala na where is Amala na where is Amala na where is Amala na where is Amala na
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 08, 2015
[quote author=mekonglobal post=38766205][/quote]
lol
thank God u no piss

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 1:50am On Oct 08, 2015
KashyBaby:

In Singapore...chicken rice, chilli crab, roast pork, Peking duck, deep fried Buffalo frog, cream of mushroom...mostly Chinese food... grin
hun? shocked shocked shocked
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 2:17am On Oct 08, 2015
midolian:
hun? shocked shocked shocked

Why?
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Nobody: 2:30am On Oct 08, 2015
midolian:
There’s a wide range of Nigerian foods available today. The wide variety of ethnic communities found in Nigeria means that the nation located in West Africa has a varied and rich culinary tradition. Like other West African countries, most Nigerian Foods uses spices and herbs in combination with palm oil or groundnut oil in order to create deeply flavoured sauces and soups often made very hot with chili peppers. There are some staples and ingredients that cross the country’s state borders and there are lots ofNigerian foodsthat are not mentioned here but these are some of the foods we recommend you try when next you visit Nigeria. Nigerian foods consists mainly of rice, yam, cassava, plantain and beans just to name a few.

These are prepared and eaten with the various soups and sometimes stew recipes. Some Nigerian foods can also be prepared in jollof or porridge form.

1.) Agidi Jollof

This delicious Nigerian food comes with a soft bone inside otherwise known as (Okpukpu Agidi) . It is a very light food that can serve for either lunch or dinner and can also serve as a snack. It is usually wrapped in a leaf known as Uma leaf but you can also put it in a plastic container, or even aluminium foil. It’s a low-cost food, all that is needed is just a few ingredients to prepare, This is a must eat food for every Nigerian home.

2.) Pap (Akamu or Ogi)

Made from corn, this traditional food, when combined with Akara, Fried plantain or Fried Yam tastes so great. It is also a very nice and nutritious baby food. Evaporated milk added to Akamu, gives you a great taste.

3.) Nkwobi

This is a super Nigerian delicacy simply prepared by mixing a well cooked cow foot or cow head with a spicy palm oil paste. Usually served in exclusive restaurants. It goes very well with any kind of drink.

4.) Tuwo Shinkafa

This food has its origin from the northern part of Nigeria It is prepared with a special quality of soft rice. It goes down well with Northern Nigerian soups and some other Nigerian soups as well.

5.) Nigerian Groundnut soup (peanut soup)

This is a very great substitute for Egusi soup and both share the same method of preparation. Some of the ingredients you need are: peeled groundnut, assorted fish and meat, palm oil, fluted pumpkin leaves, crayfish, salt and pepper.

6.) Ji Abubo (Yam and Vegetable Sauce)

This is known mostly with the Igbo’s. One of the most delicious delicacies in Igbo land.

7.) Boli (Roasted plantain)

This can come in two ways; the ripe and the unripe, whichever you chose, the taste is great.

8.) Plantain porridge

For this particular food, its preparation is fast and easy but that doesn’t cancel the fact that it is very rich in iron especially with the unripe one. It goes better with dried fish, or if you like, meat. Vegetable is a must for this delicacy.

9.) Abacha (African Salad)

Just as the name implies, it is a purely African Salad. Though most people still see it as a complete meal on its own, it is good to be taken as an in-between meal. Abacha is made from cassava.

10.) Ugba (Oil bean)

Oh my! Ask an Igbo about this, he will tell you a better story than I would ever do!

http://buzznigeria.com/nigerian-foods/
http://buzznigeria.com/nigerian-foods/2/

Lalasticlala

Add yours pls..let's know the missing delicacies.

WTF is Agidi Jollof Mothafvcker, please call it the proper name! It is called MOI MOI and i belief it is a Yoruba food!!!! Show some respect... Agidi jollof ko! Mtchewwwwwww

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by ebukaOtika(m): 3:35am On Oct 08, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Only Yoruba people drink garri with fried fish....lol

The head to be frank,,,,,,Ori eja as dey call it.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by nifton(m): 5:48am On Oct 08, 2015
Zeus777:
dont mind that oga tonychrisopher his E tribalism fights appear to know no bounds.But on a serious note the igbos hv got some very nice delicacies. But op u messed up big time cus while u where showin us isiewu u said it was nkwobi... I am a gr8 fan of Isiewu. Though am unapologetically Yoruba but as far as am concerned isiewu shytes on all other Nigerian food combined cheesy
I know 1st hand that the Igbos have lots of delicacies cuz I' m one, but all this trichotomy makes no sense.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by chiibekee(f): 6:14am On Oct 08, 2015
Clinton594:

Otu I si atapiri okwu gi a di m uto nke ukwuu. Chukwu okike gozierem gi, ezigbo nwada.

Obi na-ato m rikpo rikpo mgbe obula m huru nwa'afo ka o na-atabiri okwu Igbo ka o na-ede edemede na bekee
onyenweanyi goziekwaaram gi.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by chiibekee(f): 6:19am On Oct 08, 2015
godman01:

You are free to die now according to the Op.
the thing is that the OP have not eaten anything at all. This ones are just appetizers to me. I have soo many dishes I want to taste before then.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by subbieD(f): 7:05am On Oct 08, 2015
Teeboy22:

Food food grin

grin
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by joseph1832(m): 7:05am On Oct 08, 2015
montezz:

muahhh! i love dat response jhur. aminat508 u can be his e-wife yl i hook up with him in d world. abi joseph1832?
Yes ke. Why not if not. All join.

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by gabbrri(m): 7:36am On Oct 08, 2015
Lucky me av eaten all of them to the fullest especialy nkobi haha
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Lawsimon(m): 7:50am On Oct 08, 2015
chimkaire:
...we Lagooners can get it at Oshodi-isale. Coming from Gbagada to Oshodi Isale, before Access bank, enter the market gate by the right, an Igbo woman is somewhere on the right after like 10 shops. You can get ugba aragha, mmanu eketeke from her, equally cool cool cool cool cool
oh unfortunately, I don't reside in Lagos.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by tonychristopher: 8:12am On Oct 08, 2015
midolian:
but the favourite food of an igbo man/woman is garri.

...And point of correction..50%

No it's akpu and garri with onugbu soup for anambra for IMO it is ofe Owerri for delta Igbo and anambra it is nsala for abia it is achara

Then we use various African salad to garnish it
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by Agimor(m): 8:19am On Oct 08, 2015
This list is incomplete without owho and starch.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by canDy4eva(f): 8:40am On Oct 08, 2015
Flashh:

For Christ sake who is this fool? undecided
"foolish fool" if I may add! Must ppl talk sef?
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by lexy2920(m): 9:38am On Oct 08, 2015
After plenty rice and dodo am still hungry because of this trend
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by enigmatique(m): 9:57am On Oct 08, 2015
midolian:
in fact we eat it much more than you guys do. We call it "eni zowa"..meaning soup made from beans. It goes well with tuwon shinkafa(tuwo rice).. ..although I have tasted it and it tastes really great, we don't mix it with ewedu...that's like "soup riot" to "some" of us cheesy cheesy
Soup riot?!! ::DDcheesy For where? Ask anyone from Oyo Alaafin, Ogbomoso, Ibadan, Oke Ogun and so on and they will lick their lips before replying. But do you people eat ewedu at all? If so, our two tribes must be more closely related than I could ever have previously imagined(except that Sango's mother is said 2 have been a Nupe dame).
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by godman01(m): 10:32am On Oct 08, 2015
chiibekee:
the thing is that the OP have not eaten anything at all. This ones are just appetizers to me. I have soo many dishes I want to taste before then.
That's serious, if I'm to score myself maybe it will be 2/10.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by midolian(m): 11:21am On Oct 08, 2015
enigmatique:

Soup riot?!! ::DDcheesy For where? Ask anyone from Oyo Alaafin, Ogbomoso, Ibadan, Oke Ogun and so on and they will lick their lips before replying. But do you people eat ewedu at all? If so, our two tribes must be more closely related than I could ever have previously imagined(except that Sango's mother is said 2 have been a Nupe dame).
lol..no mind me. We eat ewedu a whole lot too. I can eat ewedu with anything sef.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by fuckerholic(m): 11:51am On Oct 08, 2015
For the fact there is no calabar food there, I know you never start. When you start tell me.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by tchiwinnie: 1:39pm On Oct 08, 2015
ayoolanr:

WTF is Agidi Jollof Mothafvcker, please call it the proper name! It is called MOI MOI and i belief it is a Yoruba food!!!! Show some respect... Agidi jollof ko! Mtchewwwwwww
Agidi jollof is not moimoi o. Agidi jollof is agidi jollof.
Re: 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die by chiibekee(f): 2:04pm On Oct 08, 2015
godman01:
That's serious, if I'm to score myself maybe it will be 2/10.
exactly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aju Mbaise For Flat Tummy / Man Spotted Eating 20 Tubers Of Pounded Yam Alone (shocking Photo) / See The #100 Tomatoes I Bought Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.