Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,633 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

The Nigerian Youths : Leaders Or Ladders? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Youths : Leaders Or Ladders? (815 Views)

Arewa Youths To FFK: Stop Insulting Buhari, Northern Leaders Or Face Our Wrath / NIGERIA YOUTHS: Leaders Of Tomorrow? / Youths, Leaders Of Tomorrow Indeed! Check Out This Hilarious Mathematician (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Youths : Leaders Or Ladders? by Timbaks(m): 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2015
THE NIGERIAN YOUTHS: LEADERS OR LADDERS?
By Timothy Didam Bakut

Recently, I took an analytical throw back down memory lane at the events and advents of power and its crisis in Nigeria and it wasn't a jolly experience for me I must confess. Hence, it is with heart felt dismay that I have decided to put down this words to the chagrin of my general constituency - The Nigerian Youth. To be very honest, it was a really pathetic retrospective experience for me as I found out that our leaders are taking us for a very long ride in today's Nigeria.

The truth is that the youths in today's Nigeria have failed to travel back through the annals of history partly due to laziness or a passionless sense of complacency. To that effect, our elites and political leaders have chosen to reduce our roles, from " The Leaders of Tomorrow and The Modern day Nigeria to their Ladders for Clinching to Political Power and changing each other from their Respective Positions"

In fact, when one challenges today's youth to wake up and be alive to his/her responsibilities they tell you that the youths have failed or that they lack the requisite experiences to lead in a modern day Nigeria. Now that is what find so pathetic. Where and how would they amass the experience if they are not incorporated into the affairs of the country? That the youths in Nigeria have gradually accepted the background roles of spectators, when their counterparts across the world have since assumed the roles of leadership and are partaking in governance and policies that shape their various countries is really saddening. The question is when will the time be right for us to assume our rightful place? When these old and recycled elites and political leaders have become extinct or weak and too tired to function again?

In the course of my backward review at the leadership roles played by the Nigerian youths in the past, I found out that it is the same youths that emerged in the 70s that we still depend on in this millenium, what a shame! A rundown of their ages will reveal to us that we have really been on a sabatical leave in the land of no where for too long.

Today, President Muhammadu Buhari at 72, is our president and he was head of state some 30 years ago at the age of 42. Senator David Mark was the Miltary governor of Niger state in 1984 at 36 and subsequently a minister of communications in 1987 at 39, is still a senator in todays Nigeria. Audu Ogbeh, who was minister of Communications at 32 is still due to be screened for minister over 30 years later. The list is endless when you consider the past military heads of states like the Gowons, Obasanjo, IBB etc. and their cabinets.

Generally, virtually all the leaders we have had in the past were at maximum, in their forties but the same people have reduced our youths to their ladders for ascension to power today. When will the Nigerian youths arise and shine their lights for the emancipation of our country from the shackles of these gerontocrats? Freedom is never given freely, one must bargain for what he wants.

It is obvious that we voted a government into power but failed to bargain for positions for ourselves into the the government to help in driving home the policies that are friendly for salvaging the youths from the arms of poverty and unemployment. How long shall we continue to wallow in the shadows of ourselves while others decide what is right for us? I think the time is ripe for us to assume full responsibilities and participate in the governance of our dear and beloved Nigeria.

May God continue to protect and help us!
Re: The Nigerian Youths : Leaders Or Ladders? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 07, 2015
Believe me op, i didn't read that long epistles.
Re: The Nigerian Youths : Leaders Or Ladders? by holocron: 6:54pm On Oct 07, 2015
Youth today cant be like their fathers who were specially groomed/trained to lead

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: 8 Year Old Nigerian Boy Left Nigeria After Parents Were Killed By BH / I Want To Draw Blood With My New Book β€” Soyinka / Alleged False Assets, N70m Bribe: These β€˜re Fabrications Against Me – Orubebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.