Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,758 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. (5196 Views)

Faces Of The Failed Coup Plotters In Burundi (pics) / Faces Of The Innocent Victims Of Flight MH17 That Killed All 298 People. / Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 6:49pm On Apr 24, 2009
presido1:
This is not ma argument i suggest you go back and read my first post.

I never said it was your argument. Your argument was that since ONE person made a racist action, you believe it was a conspiration by a small group of people as you don't believe that one person could have acted alone, hence as this is a group of people (in your opinion), you believe the UK is racist.

Can you explain that logic?

presido1:

"They" in that context don't mean the whole of UK, "They" as in that caller is not alone.

Yes, I know you did not mean the whole of UK, but can you explain your logic of why you think it is virtually impossible that the protestor acted alone, as you claimed "they MUST have discussed it". The way you used that "they", it suggest you feel there is a significant number of people involved in the process before this ONE person made that complaint. Hence you transposed the racist behaviour of this "they" as that of a signicant amount of people in UK as a whole. Hence you labelled UK as racist by following it with suggestive insinuations.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Apr 24, 2009
Sagamite:

But I have never had any course for concern careerwise in the UK. NEVER!
I have also never had any course of concern career wise and I live in the US.

Sagamite:

Most black people in the UK just resort to claiming racism if things don't go their way here when they are not qualified for a job, they did not prepare well (this one normally happens to entry level african kids that know nothing about interviewing) and if they do not understand the advantage a profile gives you.
That is exactly what happens here.

Sagamite:

My guess is that in the states, there are a wide list of universities that are highly respected so people tend to hirer not using profile too much. But in the UK, their are only a handful of roughly 20 universities that are seen as exclusive, if you attend these Unis and have a good sugar mouth then you wouldn't find it too hard to get the job you want.

That is not the case here as I considered it too much money for not enough. I never dreamt of attending an Ivy League school, never been asked much of my GPA here, yet have never had any problem career wise. In fact, in my field I compete with home-trained professionals for jobs.

Sagamite:

Most black kids I see just make severe errors from the start by not attending universities that reflect their abilities or potentials and this is mainly due to their own choice. In the states too, I take it that black people that attend the lowly black colleges don't get to the top?

The exact same applies here. Majority of the black men in prison, though old, never attended college or wanted to.
The same problems you have with black communities out there apply here. There is no denying that a large number in the community continue to choose crime over advancement. If I had the answer to why, I would be a billionaire but I don’t. But it is obvious that as long as the current generation continues to neglect education and available opportunities to advance, the more they doom the next generation to the same.

In my opinion, this is very little to do with the system and more to do with the mentality of the majority in the community, though it is easier to continue blaming the system.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Moonstone(f): 7:26pm On Apr 24, 2009
I don't know why this is a surprise. They are all flipping racists in the UK. I like them cos they are racists under-G style. At least one man had the guts to call her instead of killing her. It could have been much worse. The girl should thank her stars that the man is not that deranged YET.

She is pretty though .
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 7:47pm On Apr 24, 2009
Moonstone:

I don't know why this is a surprise. They are all flipping racists in the UK. I like them cos they are racists under-G style. At least one man had the guts to call her instead of killing her. It could have been much worse. The girl should thank her stars that the man is not that deranged YET.

She is pretty though .

Madam, it is not in the UK that police baton-beat the crap out of a blackmen under video filming and gets away with it?
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 7:52pm On Apr 24, 2009
bawomolo:
she can't be 13 or else dam i might have to go to jail for this one grin grin

shocked shocked shocked

Sho!!! Are you straight? grin grin grin

There is no way she is 13, as she will not be allowed to enter a beauty contest like the one she won.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
The gal is 23.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 8:06pm On Apr 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That is not the case. I never dreamt of attending an Ivy League school, never been asked much of my GPA here, yet have never had any problem career wise. In fact, in my field I compete with home-trained professionals for jobs.

The UK is a less bouyant economy. If one does not attend certain institutions it is highly unlikely and close to zero chance that they will get the very plum jobs whether they are white or black. There is severe competition for the top jobs that are few (or at least far fewer than in the US).

In the UK, if you are home-trained, just hope the council or one-man business is hiring. There are volumes of overqualified foreigners (European and beyond) that are looking for the same roles you want, so ensure your profile is strong.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Moonstone(f): 8:12pm On Apr 24, 2009
Sagamite:

Madam, it is not in the UK that police baton-beat the crap out of a blackmen under video filming and gets away with it?
That's different. I won't be shocked if for one day, all the white men in London go to all the black people and burn them for no reason. Y'all are crazy like that.

They don't pretend here. There, they act like they are okay with everything and this is what happens when one of y'all tries to break through the glass ceiling.
It's not here that naija boys get stabbed to death. Y'all are just so violent. At least they use guns and others. To stab a man to death is just painful
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by ElRazur: 8:33pm On Apr 24, 2009
^ lol I would rather have a few knife killings happening over in the UK, than have a gun rampage every now and then.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 8:51pm On Apr 24, 2009
Moonstone:

That's different. I won't be shocked if for one day, all the white men in London go to all the black people and burn them for no reason. Y'all are crazy like that.

They don't pretend here. There, they act like they are okay with everything and this is what happens when one of y'all tries to break through the glass ceiling.
It's not here that naija boys get stabbed to death. Y'all are just so violent. At least they use guns and others. To stab a man to death is just painful

Madam, come off it. White men going to attack black men is rare, dem no get fear?

And the stabbing you are talking of is, by far, majority black-on-black. It is rare to hear of white kid stabbing a black kid, but it is not surprising to hear vice versa.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
The US is the opposite. Indian, Chinese and European immigrants have a chance to equally compete for jobs here. Majority of companies here would rather hire a skilled black man who can do the job than his white counterpart who is not driven.

The problem with many in the black Americans community here is that they feel ENTITLED and so cry foul when they are overlooked for their skilled counterparts. It is in the interest of companies to hire people who are skilled for available jobs and so I do not see how the system is to blame for their lack of drive to better compete.

I have been working in this business for some years now and I can count the number of black Americans I have actually met. Now I have met a whole lot more Africans doing just as well and even better, in the same field. Why isn’t the same system supposedly punishing those in the African American communities, as some claim, not punishing the Africans in much the same way?

America is still the best place for any black man in this world.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Apr 24, 2009
ElRazur:

^ lol I would rather have a few knife killings happening over in the UK, than have a gun rampage every now and then.

If you have ever lived in any major city in America, you would be quick to note that majority of the crime is black on black. The gun rampage you see on tv does not compare to daily violence that happens in black populated areas in one week. Every city I have been to, I have had to regard with dread, any largely black area. It seems the best, no matter where you go.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by LadyT(f): 11:24pm On Apr 24, 2009
Sagamite:

Kobo and co,

I disagree but will not argue too much because I have not lived in the States.

But I have never had any course for concern careerwise in the UK. NEVER!

Most black people in the UK just resort to claiming racism if things don't go their way here when they are not qualified for a job, they did not prepare well (this one normally happens to entry level african kids that know nothing about interviewing) and if they do not understand the advantage a profile gives you.

My guess is that in the states, there are a wide list of universities that are highly respected so people tend to hirer not using profile too much. But in the UK, their are only a handful of roughly 20 universities that are seen as exclusive, if you attend these Unis and have a good sugar mouth then you wouldn't find it too hard to get the job you want.

Most black kids I see just make severe errors from the start by not attending universities that reflect their abilities or potentials and this is mainly due to their own choice. In the states too, I take it that black people that attend the lowly black colleges don't get to the top?

I have had reasonably fast career because I have the right profile. Racism never crosses my mind when looking for a job, there was one that I was the one selected out of 400 applicants despite telling the interviewers I had absolutely no clue about aspects of the job. And I am not one of those that mimicks some stupid and ridiculous Oyinbo accent. I have also been practising "Proudly Nigerian" well before the attitude became popular in the mid 2000s.

I believe (before Obama was even selected) if any of the 3 major parties of UK had selected a quality black person (like Obama) as their candidate for PM, British people would have voted fot the person massively. The problem there is that black people in the UK rarely even bother to get involved in politics and the ones that do are not really exceptional (imagine, David Lammy is the best ever). And also the UK PM selection is highly old boy network linked, this is not racism, it is just deep profiling. If the numerous African kids that attend the super private schools (like Eton) had stayed and joined politics in the UK, they would have had an equal chance now.

Very well said and written
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by LadyT(f): 11:27pm On Apr 24, 2009
JJYOU:

there are more tribalists in naija than you have racists in britain.

[size=22pt]WINNER BEST POST OF THE WEEK[/size].  many thanks

Thanks hun LOL

@StephenP  I think shes 23 not 13 shes in medical school apparantly.  Can I also point out shes actually mixed race not black.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by tpiah: 3:27am On Apr 25, 2009
Sagamite:

Madam, come off it. White men going to attack black men is rare, dem no get fear?

fear of what exactly?

read your history books.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by sleekp1: 1:19pm On Apr 25, 2009
The baby fine o
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by rdokoye: 9:40pm On May 05, 2009
Sagamite:

The UK is a less bouyant economy. If one does not attend certain institutions it is highly unlikely and close to zero chance that they will get the very plum jobs whether they are white or black. There is severe competition for the top jobs that are few (or at least far fewer than in the US).

In the UK, if you are home-trained, just hope the council or one-man business is hiring. There are volumes of overqualified foreigners (European and beyond) that are looking for the same roles you want, so ensure your profile is strong.

How long have you lived in England?
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by rdokoye: 9:45pm On May 05, 2009
Sagamite:

Well it’s not as common anymore, but it used to happen fairly regularly in the past.

The way you speak of England…like someone who’s just arrived.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 11:20pm On May 09, 2009
rdokoye:

How long have you lived in England?

About 15 years.

rdokoye:

Well it’s not as common anymore, but it used to happen fairly regularly in the past.

The way you speak of England…like someone who’s just arrived.

I was speaking of USA, check carefully.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by bluespice(f): 12:19pm On May 12, 2009
LadyT:

Very well said and written
seconded

the truth is irrespective of where we go, as long as racists are at the helm of affairs, they'll continue to show their hateful natures around;
and if that then happens in a place more than another, its not sufficient then to say that the place as a whole or the entire people that live in such a place are racists.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Thor(m): 12:25pm On May 12, 2009
So much hate in the world, especially on this forum, whatever happens for whatever reason it seems to be the fashion to slate the US and European nations and generally slag off white people.

I think the real racism and lack of understanding is far closer to home, if not on your doorstep. sad sad sad
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by bluespice(f): 12:47pm On May 12, 2009
closer i tell ya thor

its in their blackened hearts lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by tpiah: 4:51pm On May 12, 2009
who died and made this evil looking Thor king of wherever he's claiming?
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by spikedcylinder: 5:41pm On May 12, 2009
And in regards to this girl's looks, on an average day I see at least 20 girls finer than her on the streets. To me she is so average I can not go steady with her. I wonder how they select beauty queens nowadays.

Care to explain the bolded, Sagamite?
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Kobojunkie: 4:25am On May 13, 2009
bluespice:

closer i tell ya thor

its in their blackened hearts lipsrsealed

roflmao!!!
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Thor(m): 8:22am On May 13, 2009
tpiah:

who died and made this evil looking Thor king of wherever he's claiming?

You and your boyfriend can kneel down before me a worship my feet  grin grin grin

Even though you are not worthy  angry

or your boyfriend kiss kiss
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 8:31pm On May 15, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Care to explain the bolded, Sagamite?

I can go there if she is also keen but I don't see myself staying there on long-term as my eyes will definitely see something better every week.

Basically, she no worwor and is quite OK-looking but she is not hot enough in my view, so can't be my Ms or Mrs.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by spikedcylinder: 2:04pm On May 19, 2009
Sagamite:

I can go there if she is also keen but I don't see myself staying there on long-term as my eyes will definitely see something better every week.

Basically, she no worwor and is quite OK-looking but she is not hot enough in my view, so can't be my Ms or Mrs.

Your mouth like Ms and Mrs, berra go and get glasses! angry tongue
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Sagamite(m): 6:47pm On May 19, 2009
The girl is not "that", talkless of "all that".

Not in the leagues in anyway. Honestly, I wouldn't look at her twice.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Bastage: 11:24am On May 20, 2009
Go to London.
You will see blacks and whites drinking together in bars. Groups of guys on a night out are often made up of both races. No problems.

The only people both groups don't get on with are the Pakistanis. They have segregated themselves from UK society and nobody trusts them.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
She is not even black but bi-racial. Imagine what a hollabaloo it would have been if it were someone with Mercy Johnson's complexion and shape that would have won. Na war!! grin grin

LOL it's fcking Europe. What is the surprise all about?

Bastage:

Go to London.
You will see blacks and whites drinking together in bars. Groups of guys on a night out are often made up of both races. No problems.

The only people both groups don't get on with are the Pakistanis. They have segregated themselves from UK society and nobody trusts them.

Typical. "Us against them". "We blacks dont like how whites treat us but lets ally with whites and make another group of color play the n*iggers for a change". The Pakistanis are smart for going there to take care of business on their own.
Re: Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest. by babsjnr(m): 12:05pm On Dec 18, 2011
Uk racists dey be coward dey no fit confront you for public places. Nah for website or true phone conversation dey they shit, Dey fear nigga face 2 face

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Putin Threatens World War 3, Says Russia Could Invade Europe Within Two Days / Russia Orders Obama: Tell World About Aliens, Or We Will. / Congratulations Mr. Biden, The Difference Is Clear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.