Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker (1774 Views)

Jude Idimogu: It's Too Late For Igbo To Pull Out Of Nigeria / Only Igbo Will Survive If Nigeria Breaks – Fayose / Buhari Is Making Appointments Without Tinubu's Knowledge- Lagos Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by sorepco(m): 11:58am On Oct 09, 2015
All we want is for you to represent your costituency well...leave sentiments aside

By Chinelo Obogo

JUDE Idimogu, is a lawmaker representing Oshodi/Isolo constituency 2 in the Lagos State House of Assembly. Though he hails from Imo State, he successfully won a seat in the House on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), defeating the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the keenly contested election. He speaks on how he copes as the first Igbo man to win a seat in the Lagos Assembly, his constituency projects and other national issues.

There are speculations that some mem- bers of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) in the Assembly plan to defect to the All Progressives Congress(APC), because they are apprehensive that they may not win a second term. How true is this?

It is good you called it speculations because we are eight PDP members in the Assembly and I have not noticed any indication from any of our members that they plan to defect. Even if anyone plans to do that, I personally think that it would be too early. However, it

is not business as usual because of the recent Supreme Court judgment barring political office holders from defecting to other parties unless their tenure ends. So defection would be impossible for now.

But the Supreme Court judgment gives a caveat in the sense that one can defect if there is crisis at the national level of a party, then one can defect….

The issue is that the APC is made up of three parties and I do not see anything special about the party. In the PDP right now, there is crisis, but it would definitely be resolved soon. In every association, there is bound to be crisis, but the thing that makes you stand out is your ability to resolve it.

Do you have any plans to defect?

I do not have any plans to defect anytime soon. I love the PDP because they made me what I am today. The party gave the platform to contest and I do not want to betray the trust they have put in me. When we talk about the future, we should bear in mind that people would always consider options that would favour them. But as it is, I remain loyal to the PDP.

What is the situation of the Lagos State PDP?

The house is not still in order for now but we are working towards it. It is not something that would be resolved in a few days. It would take a while, but we are working towards it. It is not easy being the ruling party for 16 years, and then all of a sudden, you find yourself in the opposition. It would take a lot of time to adjust because a lot of things went wrong. The future of the PDP is bright and I believe the crisis would be resolved soon. With sincerity, hard work and integrity especially from our leaders, we would shine again. We still have many of our leaders in the party, even though some have left. Our leaders have been meeting and we would get over the problems we are facing.

The issue of where the national chairman of the party would emerge is causing crisis in the PDP. As a stakeholder, are you also of the school of thought that the South West should produce the national chairman of the party?

From my own point of view, I feel that since the presidential candidate of the party is likely to come from the north, it should not also produce the chairman. There is nothing wrong in asking for it, but right now, we should consider the zones where PDP has a stronghold based on the last elections. All the zones are free to contest, but I feel that the PDP should zone the chairmanship to a zone that is predominantly PDP.

You are the first south easterner to win elections into the legislature in the South West. How challenging has it been?

Someone once said that after Nnamdi Azikiwe, I am the next Igbo person that has won elections into the legislature in the South West. My experience has been very fine, but it has put me under a lot of pressure. The expectations from me are very high especially from my constituents and those that voted me in. It is not easy to please everyone because so much is expected of you. At the same time, I am also happy that the high expectations are making me a better person and I have made a promise to my constituents that I won't disappoint them. The pressure has put me on my toes and I am enjoying the attention it is giving. My wife is Yoruba and I understand the language to an extent. However, I have tried to prevail on my colleagues to stop revert to the use of the English language during our Thursday sitting, though I have not moved a motion to that effect.

What steps are you taking to attract projects to your constituency?

You can see already that the governor has started rehabilitation in many of the bad roads in my constituency and he has promised to do more. I met him personally to draw his attention to the state of the roads and he promised to rehabilitate some of them. I am happy

that he is fulfilling his promise. Even if it's a palliative measure, I am happy that something is being done. Prior to my election, I have always been concerned about the state of

bad roads and one of my campaign promises was that I would do everything within my power to lobby for most of the bad roads to be constructed. Even though it's not within my purview to construct roads, I have consistently canvassed for the roads to be rehabilitated

and the press has also been of help in creating awareness on the state of the roads.

In terms of constituency projects, things would definitely take shape very soon. Things are slow now probably because a cabinet is yet to be constituted. When that is done, things would start taking shape and every constituency would have the opportunity to present their needs.

Have you been able to embark on any personal constituency projects?

I have already started some projects like offering free computer trainings. The first batch of grandaunts would complete their course on the 26th of this month and the second would start shortly after the graguation. I have a lot in my heart to do but at the same time, I also have to match it with my resources. One of the issues that is of utmost concern to me is street trading street especially at night. While I am thinking of how to handle it, I am also considering the effect its banning would have on the community. I am also concerned about the issue of youth unemployment and how to reduce it.

I promised my constituents that we would have quarterly town hall meetings where we can always brainstorm and think of the way forward. During these meetings, constituents and stakeholders would be invited and I would interface with them to know what their needs are and how to solve them.

http://odili.net/news/source/2015/oct/7/506.html
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 09, 2015
Ndi ofe.mmanu!

2 Likes

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Tolatutu: 12:02pm On Oct 09, 2015
So his wife is Yoruba
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Abbeyme: 12:04pm On Oct 09, 2015
I prefer a story than a conversation
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Ghost01(m): 12:09pm On Oct 09, 2015
Nice. But he has to learn to communicate effectively in Yoruba sha, instead of clamouring for the Assembly to revert back to using the English language during Thursday plenary sessions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by ibedun: 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2015
Clown! Which one requires your attention. Eko ile or Aba?

Flat/head so they should revert to English for your sake? See insult. If he likes English he should go and speak that in his ancestral land. Efulefu. Seeking relevance. Bode George should be stoned for letting this happen.

11 Likes

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by sinkhole: 12:22pm On Oct 09, 2015
Why does he want them to revert to english on Thursdays? He said he could understand a good bit of Yoruba language, he could develop that bit further or better still record the Thursday session and have his wife interprete for him latter!

3 Likes

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by sorepco(m): 12:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
but why the insults....i hate tribalists on my threads. please i want young and bright nigerians to interact on issues instead of insulting one another. there is time for insults....i believe i tend more to intellectuality than tribalism. if you lack intellect dont interact here

obum88:
Ndi ofe.mmanu!
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by sorepco(m): 12:53pm On Oct 09, 2015
what do you mean?? so because more than 60% of super eagles players are igbo inclined , the coach should instruct in igbo? i dont like certain divisive mentality, man.

Ghost01:
Nice. But he has to learn to communicate effectively in Yoruba sha, instead of clamouring for the Assembly to revert back to using the English language during Thursday plenary sessions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by warrior01: 12:54pm On Oct 09, 2015
Yoruba people are really hospitable. Ask me why?
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by BlackrulesDworld(m): 1:00pm On Oct 09, 2015
If you ain't comfortable resign the door is always open.

2 Likes

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by MayorofLagos(m): 1:04pm On Oct 09, 2015
Ghost01:

In effect he is saying the assembly uses Yoruba to conduct business except on Thursday they use English he wants them to not revert and use Yoruba throughout. He did not give reason why they use English on Thursday.
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 09, 2015
sorepco:
but why the insults....i hate tribalists on my threads. please i want young and bright nigerians to interact on issues instead of insulting one another. there is time for insults....i believe i tend more to intellectuality than tribalism. if you lack intellect dont interact here

Who says ndi ofe.mmanu is a insult
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Ghost01(m): 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2015
sorepco:
what do you mean?? so because more than 60% of super eagles players are igbo inclined , the coach should instruct in igbo? i dont like certain divisive mentality, man.

So with all your education, the most suitable example that you think to compare this with is the Super Eagles? The Assembly in question is the Lagos State assembly; the football team you're referring to is the Super Eagles of Nigeria. You cannot say that because foreigners are more than indigenes in Qatar, the state should drop Arabic in favour of another language. It wouldn't make sense. Salaam!

8 Likes

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Sweetguy25: 5:10pm On Oct 09, 2015
Yoruba people no too get wahala sha. One love from your neighbor from the eastside
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by sorepco(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2015
you are taking it outta contest. i was generalizing it and not being specific. it was just objective!!! the fact is it makes no sense at all as no Nigerian constitution--either state or federal--is written in the local parlance.....who am i to question the decision of the house of assembly members? but i think they erred in that decision...you read the laws in english and you communicate or interpret it in yoruba? a lot gets lost in translation; i suppose?

Ghost01:
So with all your education, the most suitable example that you think to compare this with is the Super Eagles? The Assembly in question is the Lagos State assembly; the football team you're referring to is the Super Eagles of Nigeria. You cannot say that because foreigners are more than indigenes in Qatar, the state should drop Arabic in favour of another language. It wouldn't make sense. Salaam!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by hakeem4(m): 11:04am On Oct 10, 2015
Annoyed

1 Like

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by BALLOSKI: 11:17am On Oct 10, 2015
So?
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by modath(f): 11:23am On Oct 10, 2015
@sorepco,

Why did you create this thread (i.e , THE TITLE) in a way that is guaranteed to reduce it to tribal discourse & then claim to hate tribalists on your thread?

You should have known by now that 90% of the folks on this board dont bother to read before commenting, especially when it is a highly contentious issue.

They only glean through the title & dig in...

I read through & saw a place where he mentioned having a yoruba wife & the governor being responsive to the agitation of his constituency which is a total departure from the impression the title gives...

He isn't under pressure, he is just trying to adjust in an unfamiliar environment...

You can edit & make it less controversial...
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by sorepco(m): 1:48pm On Oct 10, 2015
i uderstand your point my friend...but you see, i did not write the essay or did the interview...so ifelt changing or adding anything will make it mine; which is plagiarism. maybe i am being naive, but why alter something you did not write yourself?

modath:
@sorepco,

Why did you create this thread (i.e , THE TITLE) in a way that is guaranteed to reduce it to tribal discourse & then claim to hate tribalists on your thread?

You should have known by now that 90% of the folks on this board dont bother to read before commenting, especially when it is a highly contentious issue.

They only glean through the title & dig in...

I read through & saw a place where he mentioned having a yoruba wife & the governor being responsive to the agitation of his constituency which is a total departure from the impression the title gives...

He isn't under pressure, he is just trying to adjust in an unfamiliar environment...

You can edit & make it less controversial...

Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by modath(f): 1:52pm On Oct 10, 2015
sorepco:
i uderstand your point my friend...but you see, i did not write the essay or did the interview...so ifelt changing or adding anything will make it mine; which is plagiarism. maybe i am being naive, but why alter something you did not write yourself?

You don't get me, you may mean well but on this board, intention counts for nothing...perception does..
Re: As Only Igbo In Lagos Assembly, I'munder Pressure -idimogu, Lawmaker by Ghost01(m): 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2015
sorepco:
you are taking it outta contest. i was generalizing it and not being specific. it was just objective!!! the fact is it makes no sense at all as no Nigerian constitution--either state or federal--is written in the local parlance.....who am i to question the decision of the house of assembly members? but i think they erred in that decision...you read the laws in english and you communicate or interpret it in yoruba? a lot gets lost in translation; i suppose?

The state government in Nigeria has its own sphere of jurisdiction: it is empowered to make laws like this one. Besides, the function of the State House of Assembly is to make laws for the state, in line with the dictates of the constitution, and not to interpret it. And the Nigerian constitution also guarantees (at least in theory) the sustenance of the cultures and traditions of the various ethnic nations in the country, as long as they don't contradict the laws of the land. Or why do you think the traditional rulers (and institutions), customary courts, etc were recognised in the constitution?

Moves are today being made by the government of the various states to keep the language(s) spoken by the people of the respective states alive. The right step in the right direction, if you ask me.

(1) (Reply)

Islam Does Not Allow Weapons, Explosive Or Bombs? – Sultan / Letter To National Assembly: Dino Melaye Fires Shot At Obasanjo / Ogun State At 40, "This Governor, OGD, Touched Our Lives"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.