Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

USA Visit Visa Part 2 - Travel (193) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Visit Visa Part 2 (1534218 Views)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (541) (Go Down)

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by FabioRomani: 10:56pm On Jul 16, 2016
Please what does burden of proof mean? Sorry if my question sounds silly but I honestly don't know, even if I always hear it.
LadyGuinivere:

Shebi this trip is for vacation shikena? Soo which intent do you intend to tell them about. This visit is simply for what u got the visa for.
As for when you actually want to birth,you should get your Burden of proof ready then.
As for sending a notification of intent then, IMO the letter is now worthles because Nigerans have turned it to pure water with all the lie ie. People still get turned back despite it .
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by LadyGuinivere: 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2016
FabioRomani:
Please what does burden of proof mean? Sorry if my question sounds silly but I honestly don't know, even if I always hear it.
Anything/ any real evidence /proof to establish any thing you are saying to the vo.
Mbok burden of proof na birthing visa gist. Enter keke 50 naira go that side and search for 'phema burden of proof' or use google. U will see documents listed
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by vickero: 7:31am On Jul 17, 2016
Good morning guys.I have been here at different times for advice ,the most recent was when I came for advice on what to do when it was discovered that some guys used my company name to secure visas and hence,I have been under some sort of investigation.iRyan,ladyGuinivere,Simababe,Tzetzefly and seyewest would remmember.Anyways I got a call from the embassy after almost 8months on Thursday.The lady a Nigerian called and asked if I was the father of so so and I said yes.She told me that from there records she observed that I was asked to bring our unused and expired visas for sighting.I told her yes that it was true and that i had brought the visa's and I mentioned the investigators name that sighted the visas when I brought it.I also went ahead to tell her that its been about 8months they held my families passport and I was actually contemplating to come to the embassy soon.She said I need not cos they will contact
me.Say about one hour later she called back asked where is my wife and also asked where is my son.I told her they were both in Abuja and I was in PH at the time cos she also asked where I was too.She asked when I wld be able to come arrd,I told her if she wants me to come arrd immediately that I can.She said I shld take my time and finally said I can come and pick our passports (note not visas) between Monday and Friday,that wld not be arrd on Tuesday and gave me her name and extension.Guys I am confused here,I am thinking in my head all this days what decision they have arrived at.But in my head no clue.Please I need anybody with similar experience in the house to shed some light ooo.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by Kbanti: 10:50am On Jul 17, 2016
Hello house,i need your candid opinion,i have an expired passport that contain my travel history,i mistakenly forgot it in calabar, i have interview tomorrow in Abuja,how can this likely affect my chance? There is n way i can get it across before 6:30am
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by nefertitiram: 11:29am On Jul 17, 2016
Kbanti:
Hello house,i need your candid opinion,i have an
expired passport that contain my travel history,i
mistakenly forgot it in calabar, i have interview
tomorrow in Abuja,how can this likely affect my
chance? There is n way i can get it across before
6:30am

Someone can take it to the airport for you and courier it through any airline going to Abuja. Will cost u up to 4k. You can pick it up ds afternoon or evening. Act fast

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by pyx: 4:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
Hello house, a friend was denied last year base on reasons known to him because the agent made some entry without his knowledge But now he is ready re apply. The challenges now are.
1. How to retrieve his previous information using his application number because the agent did not telll him detail about it
2. How to change the email address because the agent was in charge of all correspondence hence denying him access to info.
Please kindly give any ideas to resolve this ASAP.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by vickero: 5:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
vickero:
Good morning guys.I have been here at different times for advice ,the most recent was when I came for advice on what to do when it was discovered that some guys used my company name to secure visas and hence,I have been under some sort of investigation.iRyan,ladyGuinivere,Simababe,Tzetzefly and seyewest would remmember.Anyways I got a call from the embassy after almost 8months on Thursday.The lady a Nigerian called and asked if I was the father of so so and I said yes.She told me that from there records she observed that I was asked to bring our unused and expired visas for sighting.I told her yes that it was true and that i had brought the visa's and I mentioned the investigators name that sighted the visas when I brought it.I also went ahead to tell her that its been about 8months they held my families passport and I was actually contemplating to come to the embassy soon.She said I need not cos they will contact
me.Say about one hour later she called back asked where is my wife and also asked where is my son.I told her they were both in Abuja and I was in PH at the time cos she also asked where I was too.She asked when I wld be able to come arrd,I told her if she wants me to come arrd immediately that I can.She said I shld take my time and finally said I can come and pick our passports (note not visas) between Monday and Friday,that wld not be arrd on Tuesday and gave me her name and extension.Guys I am confused here,I am thinking in my head all this days what decision they have arrived at.But in my head no clue.Please I need anybody with similar experience in the house to shed some light ooo.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by LadyGuinivere: 7:12pm On Jul 17, 2016
[quote author=vickero post=47636767][/quote]
Sorry about your situation.
If somebody has any experience they will reply. At this point reposting the same post is spamming.
IMO, anything anybody says now will b speculation and of no value whatsoever. You have been told to come collect your passport. So go and pick it. After that you can now know the way forward
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by simababe(f): 8:30pm On Jul 17, 2016
@vickero, go pick your visa with faith. You deserve it.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by ekpotek: 9:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
@vickero To allow an embassy to withhold your passport for 8 months says a lot. Certainly you are not a frequent traveller. Just hope for the best. It's either you get the visa or denied.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by shewa12345: 9:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
Hi Guys,

I am a masters student in the US and my fiance intends visiting me sometime in August. We have his visa appointment already fixed for early August. Now thing is, we spoke with an agent and she said using me as the reason for coming will be detrimental to his application as they will think he intends to just come here, get married and not return. So, we have decided to use his cousin that stays in Maryland. He has sent his invitation letter, utility bills and all other things that would be required for the process.

Another thing is, my fiance also wants to come here for his masters next year and he has commenced discussion with one of these new ivy league universities and they have also sent a formal letter of invitation to come check out the school and speak with the Director. Guys, what do you think his chances are?

A short profile:
-Applying for a B visa (3weeks)
-Works with a consulting firm here in Nigeria
-Earns between 350 - 450k

What other ties with Nigeria do you think he should provide? I really want his application air tight. Should he mention me as his reason for visiting as well (maybe attaching pictures, call logs, chats, etc)?

I need advice.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by FabioRomani: 11:13pm On Jul 17, 2016
Let ur fiance apply himself (don't go through any agent), attend d interview and tell d VO the reason why he wants to go the US truthfully. He will be given a visa. Secondly forget about d invitation letter, utility bills, call logs, pictures etc, d VOs dont look at any document except ur passport for b1b2 visas. If ur fiance earns between 350-400k, why does he want to quit his job for a school degree? Am just wondering

shewa12345:
Hi Guys,

I am a masters student in the US and my fiance intends visiting me sometime in August. We have his visa appointment already fixed for early August. Now thing is, we spoke with an agent and she said using me as the reason for coming will be detrimental to his application as they will think he intends to just come here, get married and not return. So, we have decided to use his cousin that stays in Maryland. He has sent his invitation letter, utility bills and all other things that would be required for the process.

Another thing is, my fiance also wants to come here for his masters next year and he has commenced discussion with one of these new ivy league universities and they have also sent a formal letter of invitation to come check out the school and speak with the Director. Guys, what do you think his chances are?

A short profile:
-Applying for a B visa (3weeks)
-Works with a consulting firm here in Nigeria
-Earns between 350 - 450k

What other ties with Nigeria do you think he should provide? I really want his application air tight. Should he mention me as his reason for visiting as well (maybe attaching pictures, call logs, chats, etc)?

I need advice.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by 9jaStar: 1:47am On Jul 18, 2016
I would just like to share the transcript of a friend who went for her interview in Lagos on Friday.
Profile: single lady, mid-20s, journalist, virgin passport, salary <N150K,
Not quite exact words but will do

VO: Good morning. Passport please
Friend: Good morning (hands over passport)

VO: What are you going to do in the United States
Friend: I am attending the annual convention of (names organization) with the support of Bleep foundation. I'll be there for about 10 days then. . .
(VO is interrupted by someone and spends a few minutes attending to the colleague. Then resumes with my friend)

VO: I'm sorry. You were saying?
Friend: (Repeats first part then continues). I will be there for 10 days then I'm going to Brazil to cover the Olympic Games for my office

VO: What can you tell me about Bleep Foundation
Friend: Gives a pretty good breakdown of what the organization does and how they fund training and education.

VO: You have a Namibia visa on your passport but you didn't travel
Friend: Yes. I was to go cover a tournament there, but I suffered a personal issue a day before my trip and could not travel anymore.

VO: Are you married?
Friend: No

VO: Do you have kids?
Friend: No

VO (does their normal typing thing for a couple of minutes): Pick up your visa at so and so date

And that was it.

It's not my interview, that's why I have not provided some information. But I believe I have provided enough to make a good transcript that will help.

My friend had a letter from the Foundation sponsoring the US trip. Had a letter from her office backing her Olympic trip including Olympic Accreditation letter. VO neither asked, nor looked at any of those documents

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by Bass450: 7:33am On Jul 18, 2016
Lag or abuja?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by LadyGuinivere: 9:07am On Jul 18, 2016
Thanks 9jastar for giving me a point of reference to show people that single / no travl history folks can get visas.
If only it will make people stop misrepresenting

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by xtremedboss: 9:20am On Jul 18, 2016
Good morning nairalanders.. Thank God for His favour & Grace. I got my B1/B2 visa approved on Friday at the Lagos office. I have been preparing for my interview for over a month. Thank God for all the hints I got from nairalanders, you all are the best. My interview was really short & shocking for me.

Here's my transcript.

VO: Good morning Sir.
Me: Good morning Sir. (I said this with a little smile as the VO was looking rather relaxed and welcoming)
VO: Your passport please.
I handed it over.
VO: So why are you visiting the US (as he was typing actively)
ME: I am hoping to attend the ****** annual meeting (avoiding using the word *conference*) holding this year in October, in *city* & *state*. As a member & a presenter.
VO: what are you presenting at the meeting?
ME: I did a project on ******** and the results were quite alarming.
VO: what was your finding?
ME: that the percentage of bla bla bla did ***** (I said a lot here making use of a lot of medical terms as a pharmacist) then he cuts in...
VO: how did you know about the association?
Me: while I was carrying out my undergrad project, my supervisor had a friend Prof. **** of **** department in the US, who's also a member of the association. He was informed of my project and advices that I forward it to the association for it to be published in the association's journal. ***then he cuts in.
VO: So has it been published.
Me: Not yet but hopefully, I'll present at the meeting (avoiding the word conference again).
VO: You work at ******, as what?
Me: I am a pharmacist at the institution's medical center (actually I'm serving as a corper but didn't say that)
VO: how long will you be visiting?
Me: 7 days
VO: have you ever travelled before?
Me: No (with a straight and innocent face)
VO: are you married?
Me: No (the 2 young men that went before me claimed to be engaged and preparing to get married in December. The VO said to the second guy "whys everyone getting married in December. They were both denied prolly cos he thought they were telling lies)
VO: reaches for the white sheet (at this point, I couldn't hear a word)
I just said thank you very much and walked away like a professional that I was portraying.

Note: I dressed really formal with a twist of fashion. Dark blue perfectly sized blazer, dark grey pants, sky blue shirt and wine colored tied with blue & Grey stripes.

Now, here's what I modified. I added the professor part to make it seem like I have a "friend" member & not just internet thing.
I used the word meeting to make it look like an event of few people so I'd sound more relevant to the occurrence of the event.
I'm actually not presenting as my abstract wasn't approved because someone else is presenting something similar.
I didn't say I was a corper, I only mentioned where I was working which is a federal institution. Job security won't allow you quit a federal job for America.
And most importantly I filled my DS-160 myself. So I knew everything there.
I tried to sound really professional as I used my medical terms & still made sense to him as he listened.

Above all, pray to God for grace. Anything is possible. Believe in God. While I was on the queue, I was saying silent prayers not chatting with people around.

Once again. I thank God & the wonderful people of nairaland for making the resources available. That's why I'm donating my own bit.

12 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by amalab30(m): 9:54am On Jul 18, 2016
You are really favored. I pray for your favour too. You have also been a good reader more so, a good advice taker. Thank God for you. Thank u for sharing this, thanks to the moderators also.

xtremedboss:
Good morning nairalanders.. Thank God for His favour & Grace. I got my B1/B2 visa approved on Friday at the Lagos office. I have been preparing for my interview for over a month. Thank God for all the hints I got from nairalanders, you all are the best. My interview was really short & shocking for me.

Here's my transcript.

VO: Good morning Sir.
Me: Good morning Sir. (I said this with a little smile as the VO was looking rather relaxed and welcoming)
VO: Your passport please.
I handed it over.
VO: So why are you visiting the US (as he was typing actively)
ME: I am hoping to attend the ****** annual meeting (avoiding using the word *conference*) holding this year in October, in *city* & *state*. As a member & a presenter.
VO: what are you presenting at the meeting?
ME: I did a project on ******** and the results were quite alarming.
VO: what was your finding?
ME: that the percentage of bla bla bla did ***** (I said a lot here making use of a lot of medical terms as a pharmacist) then he cuts in...
VO: how did you know about the association?
Me: while I was carrying out my undergrad project, my supervisor had a friend Prof. **** of **** department in the US, who's also a member of the association. He was informed of my project and advices that I forward it to the association for it to be published in the association's journal. ***then he cuts in.
VO: So has it been published.
Me: Not yet but hopefully, I'll present at the meeting (avoiding the word conference again).
VO: You work at ******, as what?
Me: I am a pharmacist at the institution's medical center (actually I'm serving as a corper but didn't say that)
VO: how long will you be visiting?
Me: 7 days
VO: have you ever travelled before?
Me: No (with a straight and innocent face)
VO: are you married?
Me: No (the 2 young men that went before me claimed to be engaged and preparing to get married in December. The VO said to the second guy "whys everyone getting married in December. They were both denied prolly cos he thought they were telling lies)
VO: reaches for the white sheet (at this point, I couldn't hear a word)
I just said thank you very much and walked away like a professional that I was portraying.

Note: I dressed really formal with a twist of fashion. Dark blue perfectly sized blazer, dark grey pants, sky blue shirt and wine colored tied with blue & Grey stripes.

Now, here's what I modified. I added the professor part to make it seem like I have a "friend" member & not just internet thing.
I used the word meeting to make it look like an event of few people so I'd sound more relevant to the occurrence of the event.
I'm actually not presenting as my abstract wasn't approved because someone else is presenting something similar.
I didn't say I was a corper, I only mentioned where I was working which is a federal institution. Job security won't allow you quit a federal job for America.
And most importantly I filled my DS-160 myself. So I knew everything there.
I tried to sound really professional as I used my medical terms & still made sense to him as he listened.

Above all, pray to God for grace. Anything is possible. Believe in God. While I was on the queue, I was saying silent prayers not chatting with people around.

Once again. I thank God & the wonderful people of nairaland for making the resources available. That's why I'm donating my own bit.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by Bass450: 10:31am On Jul 18, 2016
US Visa fee 46,400
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by 9jaStar: 10:44am On Jul 18, 2016
LadyGuinivere:
Thanks 9jastar for giving me a point of reference to show people that single / no travl history folks can get visas.

It beats me why people think that they must spend their well-earned money accumulating travel history just so they can get US visas. If you really need or want to travel to those countries, whether it's for business or pleasure, fine. But if you don't, why waste money?

While VOs might sometimes misjudge intentions to return (considering the volume of interviews they have to deal with, that's hardly surprising), they usually get it right most of the time.

So if there's a genuine reason for travelling (and vacation is a genuine reason), and you show sufficient ties to home, odds are strongly in favor of success.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by amalab30(m): 10:46am On Jul 18, 2016
Bass450:
US Visa fee 46,400

Whush day? *no typo*
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by chima1978: 10:59am On Jul 18, 2016
Hello, everyone. I had questions regarding getting a US visa and a friend of mine recommended this site to ask my question. I hope someone will be able to answer it/them.

My travel history is, I have been going to the UK for holidays ever since I was a child. I went to the US in '96 for College, came back in 2000. Traveled some more to the UK. Then went for my Masters there (UK), lived there from 2009 to 2013. While there in 2009, I applied for a visit visa while in London to go visit my sister in the US. I was rejected. If I remember correctly, it was my economic situation. Which I understood cause I was working part time at a pharmacy.

Presently, I am back in Nigeria, since 2013 and my economic situation is much better. I'm working at a reputable company, earning gross 280K per month.

I want to go for my annual leave in December. A friend of mine that lives in the US will be going with me on holiday to Las Vegas.

I'm not married and have no children.

What do you guys think from your own POV? Good or bad?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by 9jaStar: 11:00am On Jul 18, 2016
LadyGuinivere:

Btw, I sort of 'coached' her for this interview because she was really nervous. Reason being that for various reasons, I knew she would not abscond or misuse her visa. I'd also recommended her to the Foundation for the grant, so before the coaching, I warned her that if she even thought about absconding, I'd personally make it my mission to find her and deport her myself!

So we spent a whole day with me as VO. First time, she was so nervous and almost cried when I said 'Sorry, you do not qualify for a visa at this time. This paper will explain why.'

After a few more attempts, we were good to go.

My main advise was this: the VO has hundreds of interviews to go through and only has about 5 minutes to hear and assess you. He/she is not telepathic. Answer every question (especially the first couple of Qs) with as much relevant detail as you can, without being wordy so that everything else will basically be a follow up question.

It's no guarantee you will be issued a visa, but at least it makes adjudication a lot easier for both VO and applicant.

5 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by seyewest(m): 11:59am On Jul 18, 2016
@vickero I think I remember the issue way back then, I can tell you that this is what happened it's either those guys who used your info behind your back confessed and they exonerated you from any of the dealing or the U.S Embassy has new every evidence to nail you and blacklist you from entering U.S and some countries due to what you've done. If your hand is clean you have no problem (Your problem maybe tie to something else against the U.S) All the same go with your family and lawyer to the embassy and get your passport with full reason and explanation why you have to wait for 8 months before getting your international passport.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by Abaluntu(m): 5:13pm On Jul 18, 2016
Found this page early May: paid my visa fee late may. Had my interview today with my wife and kid and we got out visa. No agent input: no lies: just plain straight truths: we were asked a few questions here and there: no visa was checked: not even our previous travel visas on the old passport(new passports are fresh: no single stamp). I can't thank you people moderating and commenting here enough. Transcript later when I am settled. But the lesson I learnt on this page and at the consulate today is : always say the truth: it's much more easier to be comfortable and bold when you are saying the truth.
Cheers!!

9 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by worry359(m): 6:11pm On Jul 18, 2016
Abaluntu:
Found this page early May: paid my visa fee late may. Had my interview today with my wife and kid and we got out visa. No agent input: no lies: just plain straight truths: we were asked a few questions here and there: no visa was checked: not even our previous travel visas on the old passport(new passports are fresh: no single stamp). I can't thank you people moderating and commenting here enough. Transcript later when I am settled. But the lesson I learnt on this page and at the consulate today is :[size=14pt] always say the truth: it's much more easier to be comfortable and bold when you are saying the truth.
Cheers!!
[/size]

That is the lesson we try to get through to everybody. grin grin
Unfortunately some think they must improve the story!

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by Bass450: 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2016
Was it in lag or abuja?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by Heyofrizzle(m): 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2016
pyx:
Hello house, a friend was denied last year base on reasons known to him because the agent made some entry without his knowledge But now he is ready re apply. The challenges now are.
1. How to retrieve his previous information using his application number because the agent did not telll him detail about it
2. How to change the email address because the agent was in charge of all correspondence hence denying him access to info.
Please kindly give any ideas to resolve this ASAP.

Ha! This one is strong!!! You need the previous details to apply if not he might fumble.
No comment lipsrsealed
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by AZUH: 12:39am On Jul 19, 2016
@ladyg you should just let @9jastar enjoy his trip . Anyone can apply for a visa and get it . His job was used as strong ties . I remember advising a young man to register his business and pay his taxes as at when due 'that cud be used as strong ties for him . But they think I was stupid .
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by 9jaStar: 2:05am On Jul 19, 2016
AZUH:
@ladyg you should just let @9jastar enjoy his trip . Anyone can apply for a visa and get it . His job was used as strong ties . I remember advising a young man to register his business and pay his taxes as at when due 'that cud be used as strong ties for him . But they think I was stupid .

Bros, I don't understand

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by LadyGuinivere: 5:16am On Jul 19, 2016
AZUH:
I thank God 9jastar replied you before I did
I don't understand you either.
Did u understand either his post or mine?
Did he say he was the one that got a visa?
Did he mention a fake company or taxes?
I fear for Nigeria o! Reading comprehension no dey school again?
Ngwanu 9jastar biko enjoy your friend's visa! I no hol' you o! grin

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by simababe(f): 5:26am On Jul 19, 2016
@vickero, any news. Still waiting for your good news

@ladyg, azuh must av tot 9jastar was being sarcastic with "I dnt undastand". @azuh, go back and read her msg well. She meant one can alwayz get a visa with or without travel history or marriage.

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (541)

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.