Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified (1905 Views)

Joshua Iginla Visits Holy Sepulchre Where Jesus Was Crucified & Buried (pics) / The Mystery And The Power Of Our Faith In God, Jesus Christ And The Holy Spirit / Ugandan Man Claiming To Be Jesus Christ, And His Nine Followers Arrested (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 8:01am On Oct 11, 2015
1 Corinthians 1:23
We preach Christ (the Messiah) crucified, [preaching which] to the Jews is a scandal and an offensive stumbling block [that springs a snare or trap], and to the Gentiles it is absurd and utterly unphilosophical nonsense.

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscious of nothing) among you except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified.

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

Many Christians today do not understand the message of the cross - Christ and him crucified. We're taught and being taught to live the Christian life AS IF Christ had not died and not being crucified. So, we're like the man who enters a store, purchase everything he needed but when it's payment time; he uses an invalid credit credit hoping to make payment and after many attempt, he became frustrated just to later found out when he got home that he'd been using an invalid credit or expired credit card.

Many, today still preach the the old testament AS IF it still valid and in force - to such, Christ had not gone to the cross. Many still teach\preach the old testament AS IF we still live under it INSTEAD OF teaching\preaching the old testament IN THE LIGHT AND REVELATION of Christ and His finished works. Many still teach\preach everything they read in the bible AS IF everything is suppose to be a Christian doctrine.

The cross of Christ is not what we religiously wear as a cross symbol on our neck neither is it just a picture of someone hanging on the tree nor picture of three trees as we're taught in our childhood - the cross of Christ is a message, preached by the Apostles (1 Corinthians 1:23) and is expected to be lived out as a Christian lifestyle (1 Corinthians 2:2). The cross of Christ is a great divider between the old and new covenant of God and it changes EVERYTHING because right on that cross, our Lord concluded, IT IS FINISHED!

1 Like

Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 8:01am On Oct 11, 2015
Does the cross of Christ changed anything? Absolutely YES! Take a look:

King James Bible
And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
Luke 18:18 - 22

In this scripture, Jesus gave "keeping the 10 commandments" as answers to having eternal life. This is BEFORE the cross and somehow it is valid because the old testament was still in force at this time. Unknown to many that still advocate adherence to the 10 commandments, Christ through the law had to buried the people under the law in order to redeem them from the law - a subject for another time. wink

King James Bible
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Acts 16:30-31

Here, the answer to same question asked in Luke 18 was, "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ". This is AFTER Christ had gone to the cross. There is absolute no one that I know of the still follow the requirement in Luke for salvation. What has changed? The Cross! Before the cross, it was obedience to the law. After the cross, it is obedience to the faith in Christ (and his finished works)
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 8:06am On Oct 11, 2015
...to be continue

I'll later be exploring\teaching some Christian virtue such as prayer, blessings\curses, faith, love, deliverance, repentance, forgiveness etc before and after the cross.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 11, 2015
If I may ask what is the point of this thread?
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by jiggaz(m): 8:14am On Oct 11, 2015
Excellent post. The Cross changed so many things for Christians, but its a pity that so many Christians are still laboring under the law out of ignorance. They keep mixing Christianity with Judaism.

2 Likes

Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 8:25am On Oct 11, 2015
starlingslimnet:
If I may ask what is the point of this thread?

^ ^ ^

For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscious of nothing) among you (Christians) except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified.

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Acts 26:18
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 11, 2015
Goshen360:

^ ^ ^

For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscious of nothing) among you (Christians) except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified.

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Acts 26:18
If you have a point say it if not stop quoting me.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Nobody: 8:28am On Oct 11, 2015
jiggaz:
Excellent post. The Cross changed so many things for Christians, but its a pity that so many Christians are still laboring under the law out of ignorance. They keep mixing Christianity with Judaism.
Even the cross has nothing to do with Christianity

1 Like

Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 8:29am On Oct 11, 2015
jiggaz:

You're most welcome my brother!
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 8:31am On Oct 11, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Even the cross has nothing to do with Christianity

shocked shocked shocked Don't worry, you'll understand with time.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Aizenosa(m): 9:33am On Oct 11, 2015
Op u sound confused are you sure you understand what Christ coming is all about at all, no part of the old testament is invalid anymore, instead Christ gave a new understanding for it a new way of living it. Abi have you forgotten that God's words never expire, abi are you saying GOD IS LIKE MAN THAT CHANGES HIS WORDS WHEN THEY DON'T SEEM TO FIT, Jesus said "I CAME NOT TO ABOLISH THE LAW BUT TO FULFILL IT".
It means it's still valid.
In the old testament sacrifices were meant to appease God but Christ came as the last sacrifice that through Him redemption be gotten and that salvation might be gained.
The disciples of Christ taught and they back up their preaching with old testament, sometimes they went as far as explaining the old testament to them.
The Old testament is not a bunch of stories jammed together, THEY ARE GOD'S WORDS SOME HAVE BEEN FULFILLED BEFORE THE COMING OF CHRIST, YET SOME WERE FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR TO A CERTAIN GROUP OF PEOPLE OF OLD, OTHERS ARE FOR YOU AND NEIGHBOR, YET OTHERS ARE TO TEACH YOU THE POWER AND MIGHT OF GOD, YET OTHERS ARE TO TEACH, LASTLY THE OLD TESTAMENT IS AN ACCOUNT OF HOW SALVATION CAME TO BE AND THE TRUE LOVE GOD HAS FOR MANKIND.

So op I hope u get the message, the whole bible (Old and New testament) teaches:
1. Most especially Love of God.
2. Road to Salvation.
3. Relationship between God and neighbor.
4. Lastly, how to live on earth.

1 Like

Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by GooseBaba: 3:15pm On Oct 11, 2015
Goshen360:

shocked shocked shocked Don't worry, you'll understand with time.

Hehehehe, Bros I hail ohhh.. The guy already understands fully. Anything else will be deliberate attempt to delude oneself.

Crucifixion was the order of the day used by the Romans, it did not start with Christ. So if Christ was hanged, the hang man's rope becomes a symbol of righteousness.. grin..the cross is a symbol of death. Just like a hang rope is a symbol of death. If you can elevate the cross to such righteous status what about the nails..? grin

Mind you he "died" on the cross just like the two thieves beside him. Clearly he died for his actions, just like the two criminals died for theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by GooseBaba: 3:39pm On Oct 11, 2015
Aizenosa:
Op u sound confused are you sure you understand what Christ coming is all about at all, no part of the old testament is invalid anymore, instead Christ gave a new understanding for it a new way of living it. Abi have you forgotten that God's words never expire, abi are you saying GOD IS LIKE MAN THAT CHANGES HIS WORDS WHEN THEY DON'T SEEM TO FIT, Jesus said "I CAME NOT TO ABOLISH THE LAW BUT TO FULFILL IT".
It means it's still valid.
In the old testament sacrifices were meant to appease God but Christ came as the last sacrifice that through Him redemption be gotten and that salvation might be gained.
The disciples of Christ taught and they back up their preaching with old testament, sometimes they went as far as explaining the old testament to them.
The Old testament is not a bunch of stories jammed together, THEY ARE GOD'S WORDS SOME HAVE BEEN FULFILLED BEFORE THE COMING OF CHRIST, YET SOME WERE FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR TO A CERTAIN GROUP OF PEOPLE OF OLD, OTHERS ARE FOR YOU AND NEIGHBOR, YET OTHERS ARE TO TEACH YOU THE POWER AND MIGHT OF GOD, YET OTHERS ARE TO TEACH, LASTLY THE OLD TESTAMENT IS AN ACCOUNT OF HOW SALVATION CAME TO BE AND THE TRUE LOVE GOD HAS FOR MANKIND.

So op I hope u get the message, the whole bible (Old and New testament) teaches:
1. Most especially Love of God.
2. Road to Salvation.
3. Relationship between God and neighbor.
4. Lastly, how to live on earth.

Ye ol Isreal...!! My guy it's either your god change mouth or the Romans who brought you the new testament were more powerful than your god.

If you believe the word of your god and that it never changes "Isaiah 43:10 " .. Then who is jesus. Why do you have to get salvation through him in order to get to Yahweh's kingdom..
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by haffaze777(m): 9:13pm On Oct 11, 2015
let me sit tight n enjoy dis people engaging themselves grin
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by plappville(f): 11:07pm On Oct 12, 2015
Mon frère ça va? I dont get ur point. Are you not aware Jude,Peter,John ,James just to name a few of Christ Apostles used the old testament as reference several times. This is sure after Christ crucifixion. I will just point out one case. For example, James upholds keeping God’s commands when he writes: “If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ you do well” (James 2:8; quoting Leviticus 19:18). He goes on to explain that we cannot pick and choose which of God’s commands to obey before concluding that we must speak and act “as those who will be judged by the law of liberty” (James 2:12).

James also tells us that simply saying we have faith and believe in God is useless—because even the demons acknowledge as much (James 2:19). He uses the Old Testament examples of Abraham and Rahab to show that our faith must be accompanied by actions—that faith without works is dead (James 2:17-26). How can we do away with the OT when the law of God did t say so? There is no how you use the NT without referring back to the old one. The both interprets each other. Christ saying it is finish does not say Condemn the Law. No. He just finish certains laws. Am not agree on the OP shall.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Nobody: 5:37am On Oct 13, 2015
plappville:
Mon frère ça va? I dont get ur point. Are you not aware Jude,Peter,John ,James just to name a few of Christ Apostles used the old testament as reference several times. This is sure after Christ crucifixion. I will just point out one case. For example, James upholds keeping God’s commands when he writes: “If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ you do well” (James 2:8; quoting Leviticus 19:18). He goes on to explain that we cannot pick and choose which of God’s commands to obey before concluding that we must speak and act “as those who will be judged by the law of liberty” (James 2:12).

James also tells us that simply saying we have faith and believe in God is useless—because even the demons acknowledge as much (James 2:19). He uses the Old Testament examples of Abraham and Rahab to show that our faith must be accompanied by actions—that faith without works is dead (James 2:17-26). How can we do away with the OT when the law of God did t say so? There is no how you use the NT without referring back to the old one. The both interprets each other. Christ saying it is finish does not say Condemn the Law. No. He just finish certains laws. Am not agree on the OP shall.

you fail to understand that the OT was fufilled in the new.

lemme solve your debacles bit by bit

I will just point out one case. For example, James upholds keeping God’s commands when he writes: “If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ you do well” (James 2:8; quoting Leviticus 19:18). He goes on to explain that we cannot pick and choose which of God’s commands to obey before concluding that we must speak and act “as those who will be judged by the law of liberty” (James 2:12).

Jesus himself explained this .A simple study will do.

Mat 22:34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
Mat 22:35 Then one of them, who was a lawyer, asked him a question, testing him, and saying,
Mat 22:36 Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

notice the highlighted.
Jesus simply said that the whole point of the law are those 2 things he listed above in the bolded.

James also tells us that simply saying we have faith and believe in God is useless—because even the demons acknowledge as much (James 2:19). He uses the Old Testament examples of Abraham and Rahab to show that our faith must be accompanied by actions—that faith without works is dead (James 2:17-26).

James 2:14 What does it profit, my brethren, though a man says he has faith, and has not works? can faith save him?
Jas 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jas 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be warmed and filled; yet you give them not those things which are needful to the body; what does it profit?
Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone.
Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, You have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

read this and tell me what you notice.
James was not talking about the same faith Paul was talking about.

How can we do away with the OT when the law of God did t say so?
firstly the OLD testament is done away with
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he says, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, says the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 8:13 In that he says, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and grows old is ready to vanish away.

2Co 3:6 Who also has made us able ministers of the new covenant; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8 How shall not the ministry of the Spirit be more glorious?
2Co 3:9 For if the ministry of condemnation be glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excels.
2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remains is glorious.
2Co 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
2Co 3:13 And not as Moses, who put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not steadfastly see the end of that which is abolished:
2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remains the same veil not taken away in the reading of the old covenant; which veil is done away in Christ.
2Co 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil is upon their hearts.
2Co 3:16 Nevertheless when one shall turn to the Lord, the veil shall be taken away.
2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Notice the comparison in these portion in quoted.

LIFE vs DEATH,
SPIRIT vs LETTER,
RIGHTEOUSNESS vs CONDEMNATION.

the law is done away with in Christ.

the law comes with condemnation and death and curses.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me[us] free from the law of sin and death.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continues not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them shall live in them.
Gal 3:13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree:

Christ fufilled the demands of the law with his death,He became a curse for us.he took our place.
he tasted death for all of us.

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

There is no how you use the NT without referring back to the old one. The both interprets each other. Christ saying it is finish does not say Condemn the Law. No. He just finish certains laws.
the books of the Old testament needs proper interpretation.Jesus explained to his disciples after his resurrection
Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Luk 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spoke unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
Luk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it was fit for Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem

The Epistles explains the OLD testament.
read through the epistles.
Hope we are clear!
cc Goshen360,Image123
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by plappville(f): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2015
If i May ask, do you have a bible containing both OT and NT or u ve only the NT? Apart from James used of the OT i stated early, The apostle Peter a leader among the apostles also played a major role in the early Church. Peter’s only preserved letters are his two epistles, 1 and 2 Peter.

What do these letters tell us about how Peter viewed the OT and God’s law? While the subject of law-keeping nowhere comes up directly in Peter’s epistles, what he does write makes his views crystal clear.

He repeats God’s command in Leviticus 11:44, telling us to “be holy in all your conduct, because it is written [in the OT], ‘Be holy, for I am holy’ ” (1 Peter 1:15-16). Peter quotin Isaiah 40:8, he reminds us tht “the word of the Lord endures forever” (1 Peter 1:25).

He compares the Church to a new temple being built for God (1 Peter 2:5) and describes Church members as a new priesthood dedicated to serving God (1 Peter 2:5-9). He refers to Sarah, Abraham and Noah (1 Peter 3:6-20) to illustrate various points in his letter. In his first epistle, he quotes from the OT several times as the authority for what he is saying.

In his second epistle, written shortly before his death (2 Peter 1:14-15; compare John 21:18-19), Peter reminds us tht the OT prophets spoke (and wrote) under the inspiration of God’s Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:20-21).

He speaks of the fearful judgment God brings on mankind for sin, using as examples the sin filled world of Noah’s day and the degenerate cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, which God exterminated as “an example to those who afterward wuld live ungodly” (2 Peter 2:5-6).

He also uses the prophet Balaam as an example of the disobedience to God’s. The OT is always a reference for us. Like i said Before. Sure there are some laws Christ put a stop to like. The Sacrificial law. He became the Lamb and our priest.

Why yet the apostles like Peter Paul and other still make reference to the OT? undecided
It is very easy to say yes i love God with all my heart and i love my neighbour.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by plappville(f): 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2015

Why then the apostles still refer to it?
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by plappville(f): 4:06pm On Oct 13, 2015
GooseBaba:

Hehehehe, Bros I hail ohhh.. The guy already understands fully. Anything else will be deliberate attempt to delude oneself.

Crucifixion was the order of the day used by the Romans, it did not start with Christ. So if Christ was hanged, the hang man's rope becomes a symbol of righteousness.. grin..the cross is a symbol of death. Just like a hang rope is a symbol of death. If you can elevate the cross to such righteous status what about the nails..? grin

Mind you he "died" on the cross just like the two thieves beside him. Clearly he died for his actions, just like the two criminals died for theirs.

There was bomb blast in Turkey on Saturday ...what were you doing here? tongue
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 4:31pm On Oct 13, 2015
plappville:

Why then the apostles still refer to it?

I was going to respond in details to your quest but my brother above had done much work but I'll later add more. You are still looking at the OT being quoted in the NT as a STANDALONE scriptures instead, see these quoting from OT in the NT as the Apostles explaining those scriptures IN THE LIGHT OF THE FINISHED WORKS OF CHRIST OR IN THE REVELATION OF CHRIST.

Berean Literal Bible
And having begun from Moses and from all the Prophets, He interpreted to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
Luke 24:27

So, with this understanding to us in this age\time\dispensation, how should be study the OT (I never said we shouldn't read or study the OT no more), we should stop reading\studying the OT as if Christ HAD NOT gone to the cross; we should study it in the revelation, understanding and light of the finished works of Christ.

I will explain more when I treat the Christian virtues in the OP using some OT examples and NT ways in the finished works of Christ as taught my the Apostles
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 13, 2015
plappville:
If i May ask, do you have a bible containing both OT and NT or u ve only the NT? Apart from James used of the OT i stated early, The apostle Peter a leader among the apostles also played a major role in the early Church. Peter’s only preserved letters are his two epistles, 1 and 2 Peter.

What do these letters tell us about how Peter viewed the OT and God’s law? While the subject of law-keeping nowhere comes up directly in Peter’s epistles, what he does write makes his views crystal clear.

He repeats God’s command in Leviticus 11:44, telling us to “be holy in all your conduct, because it is written [in the OT], ‘Be holy, for I am holy’ ” (1 Peter 1:15-16). Peter quotin Isaiah 40:8, he reminds us tht “the word of the Lord endures forever” (1 Peter 1:25).

He compares the Church to a new temple being built for God (1 Peter 2:5) and describes Church members as a new priesthood dedicated to serving God (1 Peter 2:5-9). He refers to Sarah, Abraham and Noah (1 Peter 3:6-20) to illustrate various points in his letter. In his first epistle, he quotes from the OT several times as the authority for what he is saying.

In his second epistle, written shortly before his death (2 Peter 1:14-15; compare John 21:18-19), Peter reminds us tht the OT prophets spoke (and wrote) under the inspiration of God’s Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:20-21).

He speaks of the fearful judgment God brings on mankind for sin, using as examples the sin filled world of Noah’s day and the degenerate cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, which God exterminated as “an example to those who afterward wuld live ungodly” (2 Peter 2:5-6).

He also uses the prophet Balaam as an example of the disobedience to God’s. The OT is always a reference for us. Like i said Before. Sure there are some laws Christ put a stop to like. The Sacrificial law. He became the Lamb and our priest.

Why yet the apostles like Peter Paul and other still make reference to the OT? undecided
It is very easy to say yes i love God with all my heart and i love my neighbour.

https://www.nairaland.com/2407672/rhema-logos

go this link. I did a quick explanation of the fufillment of the OT in Christ.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 5:27pm On Oct 13, 2015
Goshen360:
...to be continue

I'll later be exploring\teaching some Christian virtue such as prayer, blessings\curses, faith, love, deliverance, repentance, forgiveness etc before and after the cross.

Today, I'll be doing the prayer in the OT way (before the cross) vs prayer in the NT way (after the cross). Many Christians are still being frustrated because they pray so much but don't get answers and as such, they conclude God doesn't answer prayers or give up praying. This is because, the system of praying before the cross is invalid in the praying system after the cross - many are still using praying to ask God to do something he had already done instead of using praying to receive what is already done.

Before the cross, pray used to be asking God to do something for one but after the cross, prayer is believing and receiving what is done. After the cross, prayer is not asking God to do same thing he had already done over and over again but praying what he already did, believing and receiving it. Prayer is good and still very much valid in the NT but someone can take what is good and turn into a religious exercise and exercise in futility. Let us take few examples:

King James Bible
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
1 Chronicles 4:10

The prayer of Jabez to a NT believer under the blood of Christ is such an example of an exercise in futility though valid under that covenant, hence we read God granted him his requested. Today, many still believing and praying such prayers instead of receiving the blessings already available to them IN CHRIST or as a result of Christ's finished work. And God looking at them saying, you're asking me to do what I have already done? Much of the prayers after the cross is for God to open the eyes of understanding of believers to the revelation knowledge of what is already available for them in Christ via the finished works of Christ.

Highlights from prayer of Jabez vs praying after the cross:

...Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast...

God said to you, who are in Christ and who Christ died for, I have already blessed you. This is God's Grace - this is, you're getting what you don't deserve just because you're in Christ.

New International Version
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. Ephesians 1:3

...and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil...

Jabez used prayer to ask God to be with him and keep him from evil. But after the cross, to you in Christ and who Christ died for, he said this:

American King James Version
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as you have: for he (God) has said, I will never leave you, nor forsake you.
Hebrews 13:5

When the righteous pray the prayer of a righteous man, you give access to heaven to bring to you, what is already available for you in Christ but when the righteous in Christ continue to pray the ineffectual fervent prayer of a righteous man, heaven stand still. The cross has changed everything! Start praying after the pattern of the cross (in the finished works) of Christ and get results!
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by GooseBaba: 7:13pm On Oct 13, 2015
plappville:

There was bomb blast in Turkey on Saturday ...what were you doing here? tongue

Aunty, Leave matteeer.., I was posting on NL.... undecided
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Ubenedictus(m): 12:13am On Oct 14, 2015
Hehehe,

someone ask me the other why the most frequent depiction of Jesus i've gat is one that shows him crucified.

I remember quoting the passage above, i preach Christ and him crucified. There is no better depiction of my belief than a crucifix, it is the summary of d Christian faith. At that point where many sees disgrace and shame, where many Christian would rather no see depicted, there I see the power of God, his victory in my life over sin and satan and his superabundant salvation.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by plappville(f): 8:04am On Oct 14, 2015
Goshen360:

I was going to respond in details to your quest but my brother above had done much work but I'll later add more. You are still looking at the OT being quoted in the NT as a STANDALONE scriptures instead, see these quoting from OT in the NT as the Apostles explaining those scriptures IN THE LIGHT OF THE FINISHED WORKS OF CHRIST OR IN THE REVELATION OF CHRIST.

Berean Literal Bible
And having begun from Moses and from all the Prophets, He interpreted to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
Luke 24:27

So, with this understanding to us in this age\time\dispensation, how should be study the OT (I never said we shouldn't read or study the OT no more), we should stop reading\studying the OT as if Christ HAD NOT gone to the cross; we should study it in the revelation, understanding and light of the finished works of Christ.

I will explain more when I treat the Christian virtues in the OP using some OT examples and NT ways in the finished works of Christ as taught my the Apostles

Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Anas09: 11:04am On Oct 14, 2015
@sportsmaster.
You opened my eyes now to something I really need abt prayer. EVERYTHING is NO READY And AVAILABLE. Whatsoeveryoudesirewhenyoupraybelieveandyoushallhaveit.
Stop asking rigorously for what has already been given, just take it.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Image123(m): 6:43pm On Oct 14, 2015
sportsmaster:

lemme solve your debacles bit by bit

Jesus himself explained this .A simple study will do.

Mat 22:34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
Mat 22:35 Then one of them, who was a lawyer, asked him a question, testing him, and saying,
Mat 22:36 Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

notice the highlighted.
Jesus simply said that the whole point of the law are those 2 things he listed above in the bolded.

James 2:14 What does it profit, my brethren, though a man says he has faith, and has not works? can faith save him?
Jas 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jas 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be warmed and filled; yet you give them not those things which are needful to the body; what does it profit?
Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone.
Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, You have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

read this and tell me what you notice.
James was not talking about the same faith Paul was talking about.

firstly the OLD testament is done away with
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he says, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, says the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 8:13 In that he says, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and grows old is ready to vanish away.

2Co 3:6 Who also has made us able ministers of the new covenant; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8 How shall not the ministry of the Spirit be more glorious?
2Co 3:9 For if the ministry of condemnation be glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excels.
2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remains is glorious.
2Co 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
2Co 3:13 And not as Moses, who put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not steadfastly see the end of that which is abolished:
2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remains the same veil not taken away in the reading of the old covenant; which veil is done away in Christ.
2Co 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil is upon their hearts.
2Co 3:16 Nevertheless when one shall turn to the Lord, the veil shall be taken away.
2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Notice the comparison in these portion in quoted.

LIFE vs DEATH,
SPIRIT vs LETTER,
RIGHTEOUSNESS vs CONDEMNATION.

the law is done away with in Christ.

the law comes with condemnation and death and curses.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me[us] free from the law of sin and death.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continues not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them shall live in them.
Gal 3:13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree:

Christ fufilled the demands of the law with his death,He became a curse for us.he took our place.
he tasted death for all of us.

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

the books of the Old testament needs proper interpretation.Jesus explained to his disciples after his resurrection
Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Luk 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spoke unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
Luk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it was fit for Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem

The Epistles explains the OLD testament.
read through the epistles.
Hope we are clear!
cc Goshen360,Image123

i think you are both saying the same thing differently. The Old Testament Bible is the Word of God and is forever settled and relevant. The Old COVENANT with Israel as been replaced by the New COVENANT/agreement in Jesus Christ.
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 14, 2015
Anas09:
@sportsmaster.
You opened my eyes now to something I really need abt prayer. EVERYTHING is NO READY And AVAILABLE.
Whatsoever you desire when you pray believe and you shall have it
Stop asking rigorously for what has already been given, just take it.

All Glory to God grin
Re: Before Or After The Cross: Christ And Him Crucified by Goshen360(m): 7:30am On Nov 08, 2015
Goshen360:
...to be continue

BLESSINGS vs CURSES - 1

Today in the body of Christ, many preachers without the understanding, knowledge and revelation of the finished works of Christ still stand on the pulpit and preach\teach generational curse to people who Christ was already cursed for their sake. The doctrine of double punishment was never promoted by Christ nor the Apostles. Let us go into the word and see what the word has to say concerning blessings and curses before the cross and after Christ had gone to the cross.

...visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation...

cc: Exodus 20v5, 34v7, Numbers 14v18, Deut. 5v9.

All the above scripture are scripture BEFORE the cross and under an old covenant only with Israel. First of all, it will be unjust to the nature of God under a new covenant to use the terms and agreement of an old covenant to operate in a new. Second, God never through the Apostles taught double punishment to the church as it was with the above scriptures to the national Israel. Three, on the contrary, the new covenant says a different thing because, Christ had thereafter gone to the Christ. So, the Christian life should not be an experience as if Christ had not gone to the cross.

...And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more...

cc: Hebrews 8v12, 10v17

Before the cross, God said he will visit the iniquities of the fathers on their children unto the 4th generation but after the cross, the Grace of God showed up and overtook the old covenant\sayings of God, because of the sacrifice of Christ on the cross. Now, God said, He will not....meaning never will it happen! Friends, God is no longer punishing your father's sin\iniquity on you because you are now in Christ. Christ had been cursed in your stead and as such, the sayings in Exodus 20v5, 34v7, Numbers 14v18, Deut. 5v9 are no longer valid on you who are in Christ.

Christ redeemed you, Christians from the curses of Exodus 20v5, 34v7, Numbers 14v18, Deut. 5v9 by becoming a curse himself for you - Galatians 3:13 and he did this so that he can return to you to the blessings of Abraham coming upon you being a Gentile Christian - Galatians 3v14. There's one thing that a man will do that will end his entire seed in curse and there one thing that a man will do that will place his whole seed in blessings. Life in Christ is a brand new life and because you are in Christ, Christ had done that one thing that had put in forever in blessings. You are no longer cursed neither are you a product of generational curses anymore - Glory to God!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Occult Power Live Demonstration (video) / Christians Think Pastor Is Eating Their Tithe Money / Is God Biaz (christiandom)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.