Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. (6236 Views)

Who Inherits Mr John's Property? / How Do You Handle Your Deceased Friends On Facebook? / Is Marrying Your Deceased Wifes Sister Lawful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ezebrain: 9:45pm On Oct 11, 2015
Please, does anyone have true knowlegde of the igbo customary law regarding inheritance, especially on the side of the youngest son?

I heard that the youngest son in the igbo family is the one to inherit all the deceased mother's property.

Let me be clear, i am from Imo state, i am the youngest son in my family; a family of three males and five females. My parents are late and my mother owned a big shop at the market which my sister gained access to because she was the only one closest to my mother. She is currently collecting the rent bill, though she does not depend on the shop, for she has her own well ballanced source of income.

Despite my financial problems, this my wicked sister does not want her kobo to fall on my lap, she decides to play favour only on the side of her husband. However, i do not care for her money. I only care for my inheritance.

Now, i'm being urged by people around me to go for the shop.

Should i sue her? Am i to go to her with my family elders?
I need your advise please!
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by jamex93(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2015
I knw nothing about dis

But y not u try to get ur own money
Forget about wat ur mother left for u
If claiming it will cause problem in ur family

6 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Mortiple(m): 10:03pm On Oct 11, 2015
Bioligical daughters of the deceased woman inherit her clothings, jewelries, kitchen wares and other personal effects.

Note: buildings (if she had any) are exclusive rights of her male children as women do not inherit building in classic Igbo culture.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ronald4lif(m): 10:10pm On Oct 11, 2015
Don't know about Imo but in my hometown in Anambra the last male-child is the one who inherits the property and every acquisition of their mum. I'm guessing it should be same in Imo as Igbos have a common tradition in many visages.

4 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ronald4lif(m): 10:19pm On Oct 11, 2015
jamex93:
I knw nothing about dis

But y not u try to get ur own money

Forget about wat ur mother left for u

If claiming it will cause problem in ur family

Everyone mustn't make their money themselves, some become rich through inheritance or need bequest as a climbing ladder to success even as everyone mustn't be rich, so the idea of telling someone to go make their own money as if there's a tree to pluck it from is naive and an uninformed perception. You don't know their struggle and their life journey.

If confirmed the mum's inheritance is his and the sister has inherited it he has every right and sense of responsibility to reclaim what is his or at least they can come to a common ground where certain acquisition can be split among all the siblings. The sister doesn't have the right to claim it alone.

6 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 11, 2015
Very good topic, someone who knows should come oh, the little i know about the culture, women don't own properties. Every thing a woman has if married is her husband's, so when she dies her properties go to the husband or son
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by eyinjuege: 11:51pm On Oct 11, 2015
Hope you and your sister are able to resolve this amicably.
But so sorry to digress, I have a quick question, I think the first son inherits the father's property? and takes care of it as he deems fit, the last son from the posts I've read here is entitled to the late mom's property, but what of the middle born son(s)? Don't they get to inherit anything?
Sorry once again for the digression.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by tpiander: 11:53pm On Oct 11, 2015
google it.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 12, 2015
The last son inherits the mother's property. My mother willed her own to our last son and nobody disputed that cause it's a known tradition

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by tonychristopher: 12:32am On Oct 12, 2015
ronald4lif:
Don't know about Imo but in my hometown in Anambra the last male-child is the one who inherits the property and every acquisition of their mum. I'm guessing it should be same in Imo as Igbos have a common tradition in many visages.

The ada inherits the clothes and ornament with jewels
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by tonychristopher: 12:35am On Oct 12, 2015
ezebrain:
Please, does anyone have true knowlegde of the igbo customary law regarding inheritance, especially on the side of the youngest son?

I heard that the youngest son in the igbo family is the one to inherit all the deceased mother's property.

Let me be clear, i am from Imo state, i am the youngest son in my family; a family of three males and five females. My parents are late and my mother owned a big shop at the market which my sister gained access to because she was the only one closest to my mother. She is currently collecting the rent bill, though she does not depend on the shop, for she has her own well ballanced source of income.

Despite my financial problems, this my wicked sister does not want her kobo to fall on my lap, she decides to play favour only on the side of her husband. However, i do not care for her money. I only care for my inheritance.

Now, i'm being urged by people around me to go for the shop.

Should i sue her? Am i to go to her with my family elders?
I need your advise please!

This is wrong and not traditional

,..run and call umunna. Make some noisy but don't cause trouble

1 Like

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Pidggin(f): 12:45am On Oct 12, 2015
ronald4lif:

This culture is anti-women sha.

The first male inherits all the father's property, the last male inherit all the mother's property grin grin obviously your culture doesn't value females @ all.

3 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by drmikeadams(m): 1:00am On Oct 12, 2015
Speak wit ur elderly ones first ,know their opinion..
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by cococandy(f): 5:22am On Oct 12, 2015
You guys should are settle amicably. Culture or no culture the person more in need should get more as you're all her kids.
If the person more in need is you, then find a way to appeal to your sis to let go of greed and give some to you.

Culturally in my place, first daughters inherit their mom's properties. Unfortunately in the older days, that didn't include houses or lands as women rarely ever owned such then, so has it became assumed that such props only include jewelry and clothing (like that's all a woman should ever own undecided. SMH)
But with things changing, more women are working harder and acquiring properties for themselves since they can't inherit from their fathers. In such cases, if you still want to follow tradition, then those things belonging to your mom are rightfully the first daughter's to inherit. Abi you no be man? And should expect to inherit from your dad since you will continue his lineage not your moms. No be so?

Pls settle amicably with your sis. If you follow gra gra way,you may not get anything at all if they (she and her husband) have more connections than you since your mom didn't leave a will.

2 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Ladywest: 8:59am On Oct 12, 2015
Find out why she does not want to let go of the shop. You might not understand what happened between she and your mum in the business or purchase of the shop. I am igbo when i was a single i started a business for my mum which I stock every month and also was in charge of doing the weekly market runs for the business. Despite the fact that i waa working at that time I got so involved in the business cos she wasn't strong enough to cope with the hassles of the business yet I didn't want her to be idle.
The business flourished even after I got married. So do you expect my brother to come iome and tell me that tradition says he owns my mother's property including the shop. Anyways he won't even dare o's peso no dey reap where him no sow. So be wise and even out why she is behaving like that you might not know how much she has invested into the business or shop.

May God help you and give you wisdom on how to go about it.

6 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Durinsday: 10:31am On Oct 12, 2015
In Imo, Orlu area this is the tradition:

1. Father's Property:First son inherits his father's house and compound where he died, including the Obi in that compound. Any other lands owned are shared among the other male children equally with the first son taking his share first. In most cases since the Father's compound is traditionally large, the first son may waive his right to take his share of the other lands first in order for the other sons to have some larger portions. The First son is at will also to give his fathers house to his brother if he the first son is already living in his own plot and there is land scarcity. He is not bound to do this but just to accommodate his kin. This has caused some problems in some families

2. Mother's Property: Daughters inherit all their mother's personal effects like jewelry, kitchen utensils, clothing, vehicles, money, artifacts etc. The first daughter or Ada is in charge of sharing these with her sisters whereby she is entitled to take the shares first. For house and landed property owned by the mother, it is the inheritance of the last son.

Now the daughters have other inheritances that are continuous. At any time they come to their home, they are entitled to harvest from their mother's farm land. The place their mother was farming before she died. This farm land may be the inheritance of one of the sons but once their is no house built on it, the daughters would first have the portion to farm and then cut a farming portion to any of their brother's wives in need if farm land.

The daughters own all economic trees owned by their mother. They can tend to them and sell the proceeds.

The daughters sons can be given land inheritance to live if the daughters marriage is threatened and/or the father disowns them. This is normally done by the girls father if he is alive. A beloved grandson of any of the daughters can inherit or receive gifts of land from his grandfather and it is binding.It is mandatory for the brothers to accommodate their sister in the case of failed marriage even though huge efforts are made to avoid this situation. Also on every visit of a daughter from her marital home, she can take any crop item or harvest she likes from her brothers. Gifts are given to a daughter as courtesy by her brothers.

In this case, love is always better than war. Call your immediate family together, understand the situation to know if your sister's investment is in that shop. Calm the situation and politely refer to your inheritance. You can work out ownership as yours and then share the rent. The love of family is greater than any inheritance

3 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ronald4lif(m): 10:45am On Oct 12, 2015
Pidggin:

The first male inherits all the father's property, the last male inherit all the mother's property grin grin obviously your culture doesn't value females @ all.

Gotta agree but is what obtainable in your hometown any different?
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Pidggin(f): 1:13pm On Oct 12, 2015
ronald4lif:

Gotta agree but is what obtainable in your hometown any different?

It is, women even inherit from their fathers. I am from a state in Niger-Delta where a first child regardless of gender is entitled to a large chunk of either parent inheritance. Women own properties where I come from.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ronald4lif(m): 1:34pm On Oct 12, 2015
Pidggin:

It is, women even inherit from their fathers. I am from a state in Niger-Delta where a first child regardless of gender is entitled to a large chunk of either parent inheritance. Women own properties where I come from.

Okay, so who among the kids inherit their mum's property?
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 12, 2015
Pidggin:

No our culture values women oooo. We are sent forth during our weddings with goodies depending on what the family can afford; some give houses, furniture, cars, lands and household items even financial aid to start your home afterall your husband's inheritance is your to manage. Get the drift.

1 Like

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Agbaletu: 2:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
Durinsday:
In Imo, Orlu area this is the tradition:

1. Father's Property:First son inherits his father's house and compound where he died, including the Obi in that compound. Any other lands owned are shared among the other male children equally with the first son taking his share first. In most cases since the Father's compound is traditionally large, the first son may waive his right to take his share of the other lands first in order for the other sons to have some larger portions. The First son is at will also to give his fathers house to his brother if he the first son is already living in his own plot and there is land scarcity. He is not bound to do this but just to accommodate his kin. This has caused some problems in some families

2. Mother's Property: Daughters inherit all their mother's personal effects like jewelry, kitchen utensils, clothing, vehicles, money, artifacts etc. The first daughter or Ada is in charge of sharing these with her sisters whereby she is entitled to take the shares first. For house and landed property owned by the mother, it is the inheritance of the last son.

Now the daughters have other inheritances that are continuous. At any time they come to their home, they are entitled to harvest from their mother's farm land. The place their mother was farming before she died. This farm land may be the inheritance of one of the sons but once their is no house built on it, the daughters would first have the portion to farm and then cut a farming portion to any of their brother's wives in need if farm land.

The daughters own all economic trees owned by their mother. They can tend to them and sell the proceeds.

The daughters sons can be given land inheritance to live if the daughters marriage is threatened and/or the father disowns them. This is normally done by the girls father if he is alive. A beloved grandson of any of the daughters can inherit or receive gifts of land from his grandfather and it is binding.It is mandatory for the brothers to accommodate their sister in the case of failed marriage even though huge efforts are made to avoid this situation. Also on every visit of a daughter from her marital home, she can take any crop item or harvest she likes from her brothers. Gifts are given to a daughter as courtesy by her brothers.

In this case, love is always better than war. Call your immediate family together, understand the situation to know if your sister's investment is in that shop. Calm the situation and politely refer to your inheritance. You can work out ownership as yours and then share the rent. The love of family is greater than any inheritance

In case the mother has 3 daughters and no son, how are they going to share the inheritance like houses and land?
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Pidggin(f): 4:48pm On Oct 12, 2015
ronald4lif:

Okay, so who among the kids inherit their mum's property?

It's her choice, most choose to cheer it among all their kids.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by 001ng: 4:49pm On Oct 12, 2015
In Ideato to where I come from, the first son owns the compound where the father lived before joining the ancestors. Other lands and properties are shared between his male children, where the first son will take the best land and his brothers will take accordingly.
Now when it comes to the mother. In the original igbo setting, husband gives his wives land to farm while he was alive and he built house for his wives too. When she dies, the first daughter has exclusive rights over the jewellery, clothes and other little things except the house and land given to the mother by the father.
This land is an exclusive right of the last son. He shares it with no body. But in the case that the woman is very wealthy, the last son is expected to give something to his siblings.
But in my culture, it's assumed that the woman is weak and the last son is weak too, so, to help the weak last son, you give him exclusive right to the mother properties.

My own mother is still alive but she has transferred all her properties to my name and even the ones dad gave her too is my name now.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Pidggin(f): 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2015
LadyFiona:
No our culture values women oooo. We are sent forth during our weddings with goodies depending on what the family can afford; some give houses, furniture, cars, lands and household items even financial aid to start your home afterall your husband's inheritance is your to manage. Get the drift.

Okay, I get it, but I heard a wife is not usually entitled to her husband's property(I might be wrong tho).

This reminds me of one of my friends from Anambra state, her siblings bought a car and furnished her husband's house when she got married early this year, I guess it works out well afterall
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Oct 12, 2015
Pidggin:

Okay, I get it, but I heard a wife is not usually entitled to her husband's property(I might be wrong tho).

This reminds me of one of my friends from Anambra state, her siblings bought a car and furnished her husband's house when she got married early this year, I guess it works out well afterall
These happens to weak women.

3 Likes

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ijedallar: 6:56pm On Oct 12, 2015
it's your right to inherite you late mother's property but my advice from the story is that you should go through the elders of the family and resolve it peacefully.but if I may ask must you depend on your inherited property for you to make it? better wake up my dear and hustle your way out.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Pidggin(f): 7:05pm On Oct 12, 2015
LadyFiona:
These happens to weak women.

Okay, i get it.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by OmoAlata1(f): 7:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
What happens in a situation where the mother has no sons? or the father has no sons? who does the properties go to?
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ezebrain: 8:03pm On Oct 12, 2015
001ng:

My own mother is still alive but she has transferred all her property to my name and even the ones dad gave her too is my name now.

Are you the youngest son?
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Durinsday: 8:18pm On Oct 12, 2015
Agbaletu:

In case the mother has 3 daughters and no son, how are they going to share the inheritance like houses and land?

Today, they can inherit it if there is a will written by their father to them; though with some opposition from the men of the family. It depends on the level of enlightenment. If it were before and also in some very conservative areas now, they would very likely lose the land to their father's brothers but gain other property. Not fair though
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by 001ng: 8:52pm On Oct 12, 2015
ezebrain:

Are you the youngest son?
I answered that question in my comment.

Lemme answer again, yes, I'm the last son.
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by bukatyne(f): 8:57pm On Oct 12, 2015
Pidggin:

Very funny

Why don't the women inherit the mother's property?

Whatever sha

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married and Engaged Members Thread / A Nairalander Paid For My School Fees / Another Mother & Daughter Lesbian Couple come out of Closet (+Picure)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.