Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,004 members, 7,821,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. (6314 Views)

Who Inherits Mr John's Property? / How Do You Handle Your Deceased Friends On Facebook? / Is Marrying Your Deceased Wifes Sister Lawful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by bukatyne(f): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2015
What is the son is the first and the last? Aka only son?
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by Agbaletu: 9:04pm On Oct 12, 2015
Durinsday:

Today, they can inherit it if there is a will written by their father to them; though with some opposition from the men of the family. It depends on the level of enlightenment. If it were before and also in some very conservative areas now, they would very likely lose the land to their father's brothers but gain other property. Not fair though
What if the mother owns the properties?
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by ezebrain: 9:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
Fellow nairalanders, i am greatful for your contributions especially Durinsday and 001ng who have given it in full details. The informations i got here together with the ones i got from my closer associates confirms that i have a traditional and judicial right over my mum's shop.

But, one funny thing here is that my elder brother, the first son, seems to be desiring to own the shop because he deemed me too weak to stand for my right. He even said he will forcefuly obtain the documents of the shop from my sister and keep it for himself.

Now, i have decided to go to this my elder brother and boldly ask him to accompany me to my sister's house, for her to offer me the shop's document. If any of them fail me in this, i will immedietly prepare a law-suit. Perhaps that will be the best way to solve it amicably. I do not want to go to those dubious easily corrupted villagers who called themselves umunna!
Re: Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. by 001ng: 8:03am On Oct 13, 2015
ezebrain:
Fellow nairalanders, i am greatful for your contributions especially Durinsday and 001ng who have given it in full details. The informations i got here together with the ones i got from my closer associates confirms that i have a traditional and judicial right over my mum's shop.

But, one funny thing here is that my elder brother, the first son, seems to be desiring to own the shop because he deemed me too weak to stand for my right. He even said he will forcefuly obtain the documents of the shop from my sister and keep it for himself.

Now, i have decided to go to this my elder brother and boldly ask him to accompany me to my sister's house, for her to offer me the shop's document. If any of them fail me in this, i will immedietly prepare a law-suit. Perhaps that will be the best way to solve it amicably. I do not want to go to those dubious easily corrupted villagers who called themselves umunna!
My brother, you must be in good terms with your umunna. It's necessary, it's not an option. They will stand by you if your sister refused to let go. They will melt out punishment to her if she disagree.

You have to locate your dad immediate brothers and liaise with them if you are comfortable with them. But firstly you must start within your family , if she doesn't want to release them to you, then you can involve your mom siblings, she is hard, you can involve your dad siblings, if she is still hard then umunna will come in.
God help you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is It Like To Have A Brother? / I Need Advise On What To Do. I'm Tired!!! / Equality In Not Always Justice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.