Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS (62094 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Onitsha For The Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival- PICTURES / 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / Ijebuland's Ojude Oba Festival 2015 (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by chino11(m): 10:49am On Oct 13, 2015
We call the shots as the freeborn Kikikikikikikikiki

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Ihuomadinihu: 10:49am On Oct 13, 2015
LMAO! When non Igbos opined that Biafra would have been chaotic,i thought it was blasphemous but i can see it's clear and evident.
Why would a group of people sit down and argue about the greatest kings in Igboland,when majority of igbos do not recognize their kingships?
Pls for goodness sake, Obi of Onitsha does not represent the Igbo culture as his fame and influence stops at the Onitsha axis. He is only a custodian of the Umuezechima Onitsha culture not the entire Igbo culture.
Igbo people are vast and diverse and we do not recognize a central monarch or ruler in Igboland. It's very silly to single out a king and claim he is an Igbo king!
Most Igbo community do not recognize both Onitsha and Nri, so what's the hassel about.
Unu kwanwere owe unu ugwu!
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by XBLadez: 10:51am On Oct 13, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
LMAO! When non Igbos opined that Biafra would have been chaotic,i thought it was blasphemous but i can see it's clear and evident.
Why would a group of people sit down and argue about the greatest kings in Igboland,when majority of igbos do not recognize their kingships?
Pls for goodness sake, Obi of Onitsha does not represent the Igbo culture as his fame and influence stops at the Onitsha axis. He is only a custodian of the Umuezechima Onitsha culture not the entire Igbo culture.
Igbo people are vast and diverse and we do not recognize a central monarch or ruler in Igboland. It's very silly to single out a king and claim he is an Igbo king!
Most Igbo community do not recognize both Onitsha and Nri, so what's the hassel about.
Unu kwanwere owe unu ugwu!
Tell that to the useless, chest-beating old fool, Chino11 grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Ihuomadinihu: 10:58am On Oct 13, 2015
chino11:
Obi of Onitsha is your king and you people are his slaves Kikikikikikikikiki

[s][/s]
Point has already been made! Any other statement outside these facts are just childish tantrums.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by VolturiLord: 11:09am On Oct 13, 2015
Lemme attempt to straighten out some few details missing in the various arguments so far.

1. Influence doesn't always connote power, especially in this situation. The influence of the Obi of Onitsha isn't cultural or even traditional, but rather granted by his status as a big shot before ascending the throne and also by the status of Onitsha as a centre for commerce. This can be likened to the case of the Alaafin of Oyo and the late Ooni of Ife, one could say the Late Ooni was more wealthy and thus influential than the Alaafin of Oyo, but that didn't make him more powerful. Power is granted by right of history and tradition. Even as a non- Igbo, it is glaring clear to me that the Obi of Onitsha is neither the most powerful traditional ruler in the East, nor is he the custodian of the Igbo culture, even if he might be termed to be the most influential. Hosting or receiving highly regarded personalities as guests in you Kingdom doesn't bestow that position to anyone. Culture and tradition does that instead. Let us not be moved by inconsequential rubble, but rather sift through the silts of history and sands of time to get the real gist.

2. No traditional ruler in the East is historically nor culturally enabled to be classed with the Sultan of Sokoto, Oba of Benin and the Ooni of Ife/Alaafin of Oyo. This is as a result of what some Nairalanders had explained prior. The Sultan of Sokoto is the embodiment of Islam in Nigeria, in matters of culture and religion, his word is law. Such also is the case of the other tradional rulers I mentioned before. They are worshipped as decendants of supernatural beings who made and shaped the earth. These kings are thought to hold absolute power over their subjects and are revered likewise The igbos on the other hand are more pragmatic. They do not recognise a central monarch and apart from the Obi of Onitsha and Agbor, whose thrones were inspired by (and pay homage to) the Throne of Benin, the Igbos have always regarded their traditional leaders with a healthy dose of skepticism and wariness which I must commend, as it reduces cases of abuse of power. As they say, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is neither an attempt at ethnic or any other forms of bigotry, I'm just following a rational train of thought, so please, present your counter arguments logically also.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair / The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.