Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War (26407 Views)

Soludo Backs Buhari’s Emergency Bill, Proposes N19trn ‘Anti-Recession’ Blueprint / Witches Association Backs Buhari’s Anti-Corruption War -vanguard / Chinedu Nebo Backs Buhari’s Anti-graft War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by mickeymimi: 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2015
She supports Buhari and believe he is working......
“The new president of the country who is just taking office has made it the central plan of his administration to fight corruption to root it out, and he sets about restructuring some of the key agencies where things are happening, setting example,”

Regrets:.........
“When the opportunity came to go for it for the second time, I went, perhaps unwisely, but I went because no one will fight this corruption for us, we have to do it ourselves….,” she said.

She said she is not part of the corruption:...........
“But having left government, I have come under attack with people saying she’s done this or that, trying to join you in the group of the corrupt.”

She admitted there is a lot of corruption in the Petroleum Industry:......
She lamented the failure of the Nigerian National Assembly to pass the Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, a failure she blamed on vested interests.
“This bill has the power to transform the entire petroleum industry where there is a lot of corruption,” she said"
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by kinibigdeal(m): 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2015
Bevista:
I sense a woman who regrets being identified with Jonathan. This is a subtle but clear indictment of the inept & corrupt GEJ administration.

While I do appreciate her candor in admitting her failure and speaking glowingly about PMB, I'm curious to know why politicians & public officials suddenly become Patriotic when they lose the patronage & glamour of office - case in point, Edwin Clarke & NOI.

All friends now deserting the Cluless one, even madam gele who was leader of the Musketeers. Failure is an orphan indeed!

As for the obdurate ones still clinging on to the shadow of their "Hero", this is a wakeup call - your role models are deserting you in droves. Even those who swam like Olympic champions in the corruption-ridden government of Jonathan are now towing the path of honour and praising President Buhari’s anti-corruption agenda. Soon you lot will left clutching at nothing - even GEJ will leave you people soon to join the CHANGE train.

This current government is just a continuum of the past administration. More worst than the previous. We now have saints like Audu, Ameachi, Sylva, Ndume(Bokoharam sponsor), Bukola Saraki, Tinubu, Lai mohammed(Contracts infringement in Osun state), Atiku ...and on and on.....each time I see this saints in this government, I question some youth intellects
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by sweetgala(m): 4:26pm On Oct 13, 2015
modath:

NOI didn't throw Diezani under a bus, gist is that she detests Diezani with every fibre of her soul cos of her thieving ways...

Have you ever mistakenly seen Diezani & NOI chummy in pic? That they just barely exchange glances at FEC.

Say what you may about madam gele, she is not a THIEF, she is just a guilty of being an unrepentant textbook imperialist economist who didn't let her environment dictate the direction of economic policies ..

SE people didn't ruin Jona, he ruined himself, he is the easiest of marks... are the SW obas SE too,?did they not ride his **** hard? In plain english, he was an ode...

I totally agree with you, Madam NOI was not corrupt , most likely didn't steal a penny, maybe at worst she enjoyed a few executive perks. He crime in my eyes are her western friendly policies, if not for other people around Jonathan who advised otherwise ; Zimbabwe AU leadership and S. Africa adamant , Nigeria and the rest of Africa would have signed the EU trade deal.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by BlackBaron: 4:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
For the unbelievers the video has been on YouTube 'Holt Lecture - NOI' for about a week or 2...

Jo was one of the biggest 'corruption enablers' ever seen in the post 1999 years.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by JuanDeDios: 4:49pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

What does NOI mean by this? I don't think this is fair.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by motilolami(m): 4:49pm On Oct 13, 2015
I count this as OJU AYE
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by saintandsinnerz: 4:50pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

There is nothing unfair in what she said. Perhaps you didn't understand what she was implying. If you read the follow up comment then you will know she was just showing regret on how Nigerians have accused her of corruption, hence it was unwise of her to come for the second time to serve Nigerians knowing fully well how the first appointment went. This is what I infered from that statement nothing more. Just read it again

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by forkadict(m): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2015
Edwin Clark, NOI, Stella Oduah all crucifying the pitiable, corrupt thief GEJ.

Next up is Dieziani 'Grand Thief' Madueke.

Naija, I hail thee!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by MayorofLagos(m): 4:53pm On Oct 13, 2015
socialmediaman:

My earlier comment was an indictment of NOI. I was a critic of hers without taking away some of her achievements! I didn't say she wasn't guilty, I said she was used, she became complicit because morals was absent in GEJ's government. Yes she's probably guilty of corruption, But NO, I don't think she came into government to steal like many others.

She was used How dare you repeat that!! Used

You just berated her accomplisments at WorlBank with this second input. NOI lacked principles, which is a common trait amongst her ethnic stock.

She was not the only minister under Jonathan, why is she the one out here snitching and indicting those with whom she joined hands to ruin the country?

If she can volunteer this much without being probed, i wonder how much EFCC will get out of her when she is invited in and her probe begins.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by 989900: 4:55pm On Oct 13, 2015
azzima:
The other day,it was Ebonyi governor, yesterday it was Stella Odua, today it's madam "One Chance".They are falling back in line one by one. Ibos just dont understand the word "loyalty". Gej is now understanding how transient life is. The drummers are packing their equipments small small to go to the new celebrant 's house. Sad!!

cheesy cheesy
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Ilekeh(f): 4:57pm On Oct 13, 2015
Ephemmm:
In the Wailers' voice - she is an hypocrite.

or

This is another handiwork of Tinubu tongue tongue tongue

Forgetting that no matter how long lie has traveled, truth will overcome it within few minutes.

An hypocrite.

Ok.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by 989900: 4:59pm On Oct 13, 2015
socialmediaman:

This is a sober reflection. She regrets joining the GEJ Government because she found herself encircled in the web of corruption, having to cover up and make excuses for the corrupt practices of your hero and his powerful cabals. This brought disdain for her eventually from Nigerians and that's her regret! That woman could have lifted this nation with her economic prowess had she served in a government as the present where accountability and prudence is the watch word. Look at Kaichukwu now being a potential icon if he does a great job in Nigeria's oil industry.

Lesson: Never involve yourself with unrepentant criminals like PDP cabals, free yourself from their claws while you still have a chance. The only thing they know is how to cheat and to do this successfully, they deploy the best brains like Okonjo Iweala by buying their conscience with money.

Your head dey there!

1 carton of Origin . . .
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by 989900: 5:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
aresa:

That was a very gross and unambiguous indictment of the administration she was part of and GEJ in particular...

Fortunately, she left out the part she played. We know today that the NNPC lost billions of dollars not because our own money manager, finance minister and economic coordinator kept tab or was paying attention to our earnings and savings, it was because SLS did. She admitted that $10 billion was missing so what if SLS wasn't aware and didn't speak up, would she have said anything?

Is she saying she didn't know anything about all the zero due process and illegal funds she released and also the billions we lost because she was granting import waivers to cronies left and right?

They do this to look sane and clean after the fact, but unfortunately for them, they are still part of the odious and corrupt history they left behind..

The rest of Nigeria have moved on, even Jonathan's own Ijaw people have moved on and in many cases even questioning and ridiculing Jonathan's presidency and corrupt and incompetent. The folks you are talking about sadly are not interested in Nigeria, her progress and or unity, their only concern and love for GEJ is based on their primitive and pedestrian tribal, selfish, self centered and bigoted ways.

They too tribally distracted and necessarily and dangerously paranoid to function and lovingly co exist with the rest of Nigeria..

She would be found guilty of either connivance, compliance, or incompetence.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by saintandsinnerz: 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2015
aresa:

That was a very gross and unambiguous indictment of the administration she was part of and GEJ in particular...

Fortunately, she left out the part she played. We know today that the NNPC lost billions of dollars not because our own money manager, finance minister and economic coordinator kept tab or was paying attention to our earnings and savings, it was because SLS did. She admitted that $10 billion was missing so what if SLS wasn't aware and didn't speak up, would she have said anything?

Is she saying she didn't know anything about all the zero due process and illegal funds she released and also the billions we lost because she was granting import waivers to cronies left and right?

They do this to look sane and clean after the fact, but unfortunately for them, they are still part of the odious and corrupt history they left behind..

The rest of Nigeria have moved on, even Jonathan's own Ijaw people have moved on and in many cases even questioning and ridiculing Jonathan's presidency and corrupt and incompetent. The folks you are talking about sadly are not interested in Nigeria, her progress and or unity, their only concern and love for GEJ is based on their primitive and pedestrian tribal, selfish, self centered and bigoted ways.

They too tribally distracted and necessarily and dangerously paranoid to function and lovingly co exist with the rest of Nigeria..
Stop being a coward! If you cannot name the tribe you are referring to in your diatribe, I suggest you shut up rather than speaking in innuendos! It's only cowards that speak like that
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by ADUBA1(m): 5:08pm On Oct 13, 2015
I m suprise at how chauvinistic APC fans has become. NOI never implied dt GEJ govt was corrupt. She only regretted coming back to serve a very ungrateful nation, who never appreciated her effort but called her all kinds of names. She even implied dt d previous govt tried their best and dt she will like PMB to continue d fight. She went further to give a solution to curbing corruption in d petroleum sector in d form of PIB and dt it pained her dt PIB was not past becomes of external and internal forces.

I will advice we read news with open and not biased mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by saintandsinnerz: 5:09pm On Oct 13, 2015
AuntySusan:

but regretted allegations of corruption directed at her after leaving office.

To my understanding, she means that she shouldn't have taken the appointment if she knew that the people won't appreciate her efforts rather they're making allegations and counter allegations to damage her reputation

But she accepted the appointment anyway because according to her ' we have to fight corruption ourselves'
My brother thank you for your understanding! I was quite astonished that people cannot deduce what she meant by that statement. You clearly captured it. You are good in comprehension and inderences!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 13, 2015
realborn:
Two key acknowledgements deduced from the article:

1. She affirmed that once the leader takes decisive actions in deference to one sector, the message is felt across others - "body language"

2. She hinted that her returning to the government the second time may have been 'unwisely'. Somehow smirked of innate regrets with how she has been associated with an alleged overtly corrupt government of the time.

My thoughts:

I think it is only those who have decided to remain completely obdurate and adamant with their views that will not give an iota of support for the ongoing efforts of this government to abate corruption.

I strongly believe that in 4 years, the questions our friends of other nationalities will be asking us will change from "how come a feckless hat wearing leader is governing over intelligent Nigerians" to "wow, you guys are so lucky with the President you have. We wish we are as lucky as you"

wink

It is a mistaken idea to think that corruption is being fought in Nigeria. Where are the special courts and the saint lawers/judges who will try corrupt leaders? How many of those people who Buhari ordered the seizure of their properties have been arrested and tried? Who are the corrupt people and where are they? Watch as the noise about corruption fight gradually fades. By the way, I think deeply and see things beyond the surface. To think that Buhari has gained Okonjo's support just because of that piece is a mistake. Don't you see that she has probably won your heart over and made you drop whatever negative thought you may have heard against her? Buhari might also feel same way, that's one thing she has achieved with that speech. Besides, not mature person will speak ill of his president in public. I do not see those words as coming from the heart.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by realborn(m): 5:24pm On Oct 13, 2015
onlinebizinfo:

It is a mistaken idea to think that corruption is being fought in Nigeria. Where are the special courts and the saint lawers/judges who will try corrupt leaders? How many of those people who Buhari ordered the seizure of their properties have been arrested and tried? Who are the corrupt people and where are they? Watch as the noise about corruption fight gradually fades. By the way, I think deeply and see things beyond the surface. To think that Buhari has gained Okonjo's support just because of that piece is a mistake. Don't you see that she has probably won your heart over and made you drop whatever negative thought you may have heard against her? Buhari might also feel same way, that's one thing she has achieved with that speech. Besides, not mature person will speak ill of his president in public. I do not see those words as coming from the heart.

Well said.

In my opinion, there are two views to this fight against corruption. The first being addressing corruption in past governments; and the second abating the culture of corruption impunity to forestall monumental corrupt practices moving forward.

I think the former will be tough with the ethno-political sentiments being whipped by the electorate. I am however certain quite a number of past corrupt public officers will be punished.

I strongly believe the latter can be achieved with the attitude of the incumbent President in deference to tolerance for zero corruption.

Lastly, I am not sympathetic towards Okonjo. If the anti-graft agencies deem her culpable, she must dance to the tune. The summary of my understanding of her lecture is that the media awashed Prime Minister under Jonathan has alluded to the existence of a "group of the corrupt" in the last administration. This is a good reference for those who are hell bent on defending corrupt officials of the last government.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by kokoA(m): 5:25pm On Oct 13, 2015
omowolewa:
If anti corruption war is all about Buhari, then we are moving nowhere. The uprightness of Lot couldn't save Sodom.

Let's have. System that will naturally purge corruption out of Nigeria.
Now that we have gotten a right person.....
Systems are not made in heaven. People create the right system, that's why I love the personality of Buhari. Everybody (including PDP) have agreed that he is allergic to corruption so all he needs is to bring people of like minds together to formulate those policies that will give right to the system you talked about. I believe we (nigerians) did the right thing by electing someone who is generally accepted to be incorruptible. All wee need now is to watch and see how he leads us for the next 4 years.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by realborn(m): 5:31pm On Oct 13, 2015
holyfather:

realborn,you strike me as you are same person as bevista or you're both serving the same master.

Not at all. We obviously both serve God I guess...
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by eeewise(m): 5:48pm On Oct 13, 2015

To my understanding, she means that she shouldn't have taken the appointment if she knew that the people won't appreciate her efforts rather they're making allegations and counter allegations to damage her reputation

But she accepted the appointment anyway because according to her ' we have to fight corruption ourselves'
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by nelandrewz(m): 6:11pm On Oct 13, 2015
Kudos! U've spoken well.

aresa:

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by malikisah: 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2015
omowolewa:
If anti corruption war is all about Buhari, then we are moving nowhere. The uprightness of Lot couldn't save Sodom.

Let's have. System that will naturally purge corruption out of Nigeria.
Now that we have gotten a right person.....
heading there actually
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by malikisah: 6:35pm On Oct 13, 2015
omenka:
Thanks a lot. smiley

It is becoming all the more obvious those who imagine Jonathan deserves some monument erected in the middle of Abuja for his unparalleled leadership achievements and a Nobel Prize are simply those ethnic and religious bigots that are sorely bitter over his defeat by someone who "doesn't share such common identity with them."

Most of them are very poor mentally and materially and have indeed been the greatest victims of horrendous acts of the ruling class (just like the illiterate who lashed out at me for criticising Jonathan the other day, forgetting he has a "tell tale" dp on this profile).

Some of them, as seen here, are trying so hard to twist what NOI said because it doesn't conform to their twisted principle of "he-is-our-brother-liness". But she has said what she has said and we understand every single word.

I won't be surprised to see the Asaris and Briggs of this world take the last admin, and indeed Jonathan, to the cleaners tomorrow- that man was a total disaster!

Lalasticlala, had yesterday been friday, I'd have understood why this thread isn't on the fp yet. Shooo!!! Which kind sleep u com dey sleep today
very correct
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:07pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

What you think she is saying. I recall that I once disclosed that she is writing a book to explain the UNWISE part. you will be shocked to note that the leaders you are defending will repudiate everything that you may wish to justify. it is natural. it is elitism.

I replied Whynotthetruth thus:
Whynotthetruth:

By the way, where do you think NOI is and what do you think she is doing? she is writing a book to tell the world that she is not responsible for the the documented crimes you are here claiming are nonexistent. Don't ask me how I know.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by maasoap(m): 7:12pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

grin
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by tgbaba(m): 7:22pm On Oct 13, 2015
aresa:

hmmm okodoro oro re walahitalahisumubilahilasiwatalai.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by FEMISUGAR: 7:36pm On Oct 13, 2015
FOR YOUR URGENT SUGAR MUMMIES AND DADDIES CONNECTION, CALL +2347017399204 FOR MORE INFO ON HOW TO GET CONNECTED OR VISIT www.sugarcaneworld..com.ng FOR FURTHER INFO.

ITS FOR REAL,LEGIT AND YOUR SECURITY IS GUARANTEED
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:41pm On Oct 13, 2015
AuntySusan:

When you put your understanding in the context of her praise for PMB the reason for her regret becomes evident. The people being prosecuted and which she endorsed were her colleagues. Isn't it regrettable for her to serve alongside those criminal suspects and she FINANCED their wanton plunder?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by advocates: 8:03pm On Oct 13, 2015
Her commentary didn't outrightly inferred that the Gej government was corrupt but tagged her decision to join the government as unwise because of the corruption accusation pointed at her.

However, and more surprisingly is her inability to detect and arrest the unprecedented corrupt practices of money laundry that perpetuated the very government she served. It takes a certain Sanusi to unearth this monstrous cancer, a job she 'unwisely accepted' (an economic lord) to discharged.

The question is whether she succeeded in her ministerial quest to tame the corruption she accepted to fight or failed in her missionary journey to salvaged the country from the nemesis of corruption. The former is more glaring that we can attest to.

All this saving face is simply an act to retain her international reputations which to many of us is nothing but a celebration of mediocrity that has added nothing meaningful to our economy.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by bashydemy(m): 8:44pm On Oct 13, 2015
hahaha the fear of PMB....

Bami Loke (Buhari) Edari jimi ke, GEJ lo sope stealing is not corruption.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mbaka Is Not In Our Custody — DSS / President Jonathan's Portrait Disappears In Kano Offices / Military Destroy 6 Buffur Camps Of Boko Haram Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.