Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,722 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War (26394 Views)

Soludo Backs Buhari’s Emergency Bill, Proposes N19trn ‘Anti-Recession’ Blueprint / Witches Association Backs Buhari’s Anti-Corruption War -vanguard / Chinedu Nebo Backs Buhari’s Anti-graft War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by stanleychimezie(f): 11:25pm On Oct 12, 2015
A former Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has expressed support for President Muhammadu Buhari’s effort at tackling corruption, saying graft remains Nigeria’s biggest impediment to achieving Sustainable Development Goals.

Speaking on September 30 as a guest lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania, United States, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said the president was confronting corruption “head on” and was setting the example that would directly help root out corruption in other sectors of the government.

“The new president of the country who is just taking office has made it the central plan of his administration to fight corruption to root it out, and he sets about restructuring some of the key agencies where things are happening, setting example,” the former minister said at the 2015 Holts Lecture of the Pennsylvania University Law School.
“I think with that when you see example in one place, it sends the message about what should happen in other places. I think this is being confronted head on. And I think and hope that with what is going on and what we tried to do in the previous administration, bringing more transparency to way of doing business.
Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said with “the example being set by the president” she was hopeful Nigeria will get rid of corruption.

The former minister discussed Sustainable Development Goals, SDGs, and how illicit financial flow could impede the post 2015 development agenda, especially in developing countries like Nigeria.

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said although funds needed for SDGs are huge, blocking illicit financial flow could help free up the needed funds.

Eighty per cent of the SDGs are infrastructural goals which require $6 trillion in funding for the next 15 years, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said.

She said current global funding for infrastructures stood at $1.7 trillion, and 60 per cent of the SDGs and their funding are to be borne by developing countries – justifying why corruption must be confronted.

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said as minister, she made efforts to improve transparency and fight corruption in the government, but regretted allegations of corruption directed at her after leaving office.
She also hinted that her decision to join the Goodluck Jonathan government — after serving in the Obasanjo government – may have been mistaken.

“When the opportunity came to go for it for the second time, I went, perhaps unwisely, but I went because no one will fight this corruption for us, we have to do it ourselves….,” she said. “But having left government, I have come under attack with people saying she’s done this or that, trying to join you in the group of the corrupt.”

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala commented on Mr. Buhari assigning the petroleum ministry to himself.

“I think the president has the prerogative to do a lot of things, and this is not the first time in our country. President Obasanjo was also the president of Petroleum Resources in his time. I am not saying this is the best way or best practice but I am just saying for our circumstances it is not the first time,” she said.

“If that will bring more clarity, more openness, more transparency to the way the oil sector is done no problem, it’s ok. But if it will not, we have to ask questions.”

She lamented the failure of the Nigerian National Assembly to pass the Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, a failure she blamed on vested interests.
“This bill has the power to transform the entire petroleum industry where there is a lot of corruption,” she said. “And with that we would have commercialized the oil company (NNPC), made it open up its books but the heavy lobbying by both the domestic vested interests and the international vested interests blocked this.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/191420-okonjo-iweala-backs-buhari-on-corruption-war-says-president-leading-by-example.html

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by benedictnsi(m): 11:26pm On Oct 12, 2015
That's good.....

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by ERODEDEAST(f): 11:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
keep making jest of.him

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Bevista: 11:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
She also hinted that her decision to join the
Goodluck Jonathan government — after serving in the Obasanjo government – may have been mistaken.

“When the opportunity came to go for it for the second time, I went, perhaps unwisely, but I went because no one will fight this corruption for us, we have to do it ourselves….,” she said.
I sense a woman who regrets being identified with Jonathan. This is a subtle but clear indictment of the inept & corrupt GEJ administration.

While I do appreciate her candor in admitting her failure and speaking glowingly about PMB, I'm curious to know why politicians & public officials suddenly become Patriotic when they lose the patronage & glamour of office - case in point, Edwin Clarke & NOI.

All friends now deserting the Cluless one, even madam gele who was leader of the Musketeers. Failure is an orphan indeed!

As for the obdurate ones still clinging on to the shadow of their "Hero", this is a wakeup call - your role models are deserting you in droves. Even those who swam like Olympic champions in the corruption-ridden government of Jonathan are now towing the path of honour and praising President Buhari’s anti-corruption agenda. Soon you lot will be left clutching at nothing - even GEJ will leave you people soon to join the CHANGE train.

140 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Baawaa(m): 11:32pm On Oct 12, 2015
Okonjo Iweala,Jonathan's mother Buhari's daughter shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
“When the opportunity came to go for it for the second time, I went, perhaps unwisely, but I went because no one will fight this corruption for us, we have to do it ourselves….,”
What does NOI mean by this? I don't think this is fair.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by realborn(m): 11:34pm On Oct 12, 2015
Two key acknowledgements deduced from the article:

1. She affirmed that once the leader takes decisive actions in deference to one sector, the message is felt across others - "body language"

2. She hinted that her returning to the government the second time may have been 'unwisely'. Somehow smirked of innate regrets with how she has been associated with an alleged overtly corrupt government of the time.

My thoughts:

I think it is only those who have decided to remain completely obdurate and adamant with their views that will not give an iota of support for the ongoing efforts of this government to abate corruption.

I strongly believe that in 4 years, the questions our friends of other nationalities will be asking us will change from "how come a feckless hat wearing leader is governing over intelligent Nigerians" to "wow, you guys are so lucky with the President you have. We wish we are as lucky as you"

wink

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by omowolewa: 11:40pm On Oct 12, 2015
If anti corruption war is all about Buhari, then we are moving nowhere. The uprightness of Lot couldn't save Sodom.

Let's have. System that will naturally purge corruption out of Nigeria.
Now that we have gotten a right person.....

17 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Mogidi: 11:41pm On Oct 12, 2015
This is only savinggracereporters take on what NOI said, even premiumtimes is quoting savinggracereporters.

Copyright Saving Grace Reporters.
Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to
www.savinggracereporters.com as the source.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Bevista: 12:08am On Oct 13, 2015
omowolewa:
If anti corruption war is all about Buhari, then we are moving nowhere. The uprightness of Lot couldn't save Sodom.

Let's have. System that will naturally purge corruption out of Nigeria.
Now that we have gotten a right person.....
Systems don't suddenly appear or handed down from heaven. You need disciplined and Patriotic leaders to build strong systems and institutions.

This is exactly what PMB is doing. He appears slow to the Wailers, but when you Build To Last, then you need to be painstaking, detailed and methodical in your approach.

"Impatience is not a virtue. Order is more vital than speed" - PMB (October 1st, 2015)

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by BrosPeter: 12:25am On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Take this news with a pinch of salt.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Chylo(m): 12:49am On Oct 13, 2015
BrosPeter:

Take this news with a pinch of salt.

Pinch of sugar nko? Wailing wailers will never change.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by azzima(m): 12:58am On Oct 13, 2015
The other day,it was Ebonyi governor, yesterday it was Stella Odua, today it's madam "One Chance".They are falling back in line one by one. Ibos just dont understand the word "loyalty". Gej is now understanding how transient life is. The drummers are packing their equipments small small to go to the new celebrant 's house. Sad!!

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by MayorofLagos(m): 1:43am On Oct 13, 2015
Hhmm... NOI just threw DIEZANI under the bus.

These people at first thought Buhari was joking onvhis resolve to probe corrupt leaders that ruined the economy.

SE people ruined GEJ's government and as we can see the only people liningvup to worship Buhari since inauguration are the 5%ters. No surprise!

What does NOI want, a pardon?

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by v4victor: 2:19am On Oct 13, 2015
Methinks she's just stating the obvious. But she should be ready to answer when EFFC comes knocking cus madam Alison didn't "do it" alone

8 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by omenka(m): 2:27am On Oct 13, 2015
Savinggracereporters

I'd rather pass.

Edit:

With, www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/191420-okonjo-iweala-backs-buhari-on-corruption-war-says-president-leading-by-example.html , I think it is safe to comment.

Frankly, what more is there to say?? This woman who was referred to as the de-facto president/ prime minister in the last admin has come out to "condemn" and "distance" herself from the rot that was Jonathan's admin while eulogising President Buhari's efforts at eradicating this monstrous malaise which was in retrospect worshipped, pampered, condoned and encouraged.

I fail time and time again I trying to rationalise some of Jonathan's pronouncements regarding corruption, like his goatandyamtheory, "stealing is not corruption", "corruption is exaggerated", "how much did Jim Nwobodo stole (sic)", and his knack for granting state pardon to the biggest criminals in the land. He even came out at some point to shamelessly admit he's scared of exposing corrupt individuals www.nairaland.com/1444394/president-jonathan-shamelessly-admits-hes .

We are yet to hear the last of these recent revelations from his closest allies whom to me partook either covertly or overtly in ruining this nation especially in the last 5years. First it was Edwin Clerk, then Stella Uduah and now the Big Fish, NOI- the same woman that used her propaganda NOIpoll to churn out fictitious figures and indices regarding the strength of our economy- she never saw anything wrong!! Now she wants us to believe "it was a mistake she made taking up the job of Finance Minister under Jonathan".

What a shameless bunch of people.

Whatever it is, whether they throw Jonathan under the bus or under the tires of a Boeing 747 jet, they are not gonna be spared the hammer if found guilty by any competent court.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by v4victor: 2:28am On Oct 13, 2015
azzima:
The other day,it was Ebonyi governor, yesterday it was Stella Odua, today it's madam "One Chance".They are falling back in line one by one. Ibos just dont understand the word "loyalty". Gej is now understanding how transient life is. The drummers are packing their equipments small small to go to the new celebrant 's house. Sad!!

Typical. You had to go down the tribal line again.
You no dey tire?

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by socialmediaman: 2:51am On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

This is a sober reflection. She regrets joining the GEJ Government because she found herself encircled in the web of corruption, having to cover up and make excuses for the corrupt practices of your hero and his powerful cabals. This brought disdain for her eventually from Nigerians and that's her regret! That woman could have lifted this nation with her economic prowess had she served in a government as the present where accountability and prudence is the watch word. Look at Kaichukwu now being a potential icon if he does a great job in Nigeria's oil industry.

Lesson: Never involve yourself with unrepentant criminals like PDP cabals, free yourself from their claws while you still have a chance. The only thing they know is how to cheat and to do this successfully, they deploy the best brains like Okonjo Iweala by buying their conscience with money.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Pavore9: 2:58am On Oct 13, 2015
Sober reflection......
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by aresa: 3:35am On Oct 13, 2015
Bevista:
I sense a woman who regrets being identified with Jonathan. This is a subtle but clear indictment of the inept GEJ administration.

That was a very gross and unambiguous indictment of the administration she was part of and GEJ in particular...

Fortunately, she left out the part she played. We know today that the NNPC lost billions of dollars not because our own money manager, finance minister and economic coordinator kept tab or was paying attention to our earnings and savings, it was because SLS did. She admitted that $10 billion was missing so what if SLS wasn't aware and didn't speak up, would she have said anything?

Is she saying she didn't know anything about all the zero due process and illegal funds she released and also the billions we lost because she was granting import waivers to cronies left and right?

While I do appreciate her candor in admitting her failure and speaking glowingly about PMB, I'm curious to know why politicians & public officials suddenly become Patriotic when they lose the patronage & glamour of office - case in point, Edwin Clarke & NOI.

They do this to look sane and clean after the fact, but unfortunately for them, they are still part of the odious and corrupt history they left behind..

As for the obdurate ones still holding on to the shadow of their "Hero", this is a wakeup call. Your role models are deserting you in droves and joining the path of progress. Soon, you'll be left clutching at nothing.

The rest of Nigeria have moved on, even Jonathan's own Ijaw people have moved on and in many cases even questioning and ridiculing Jonathan's presidency and corrupt and incompetent. The folks you are talking about sadly are not interested in Nigeria, her progress and or unity, their only concern and love for GEJ is based on their primitive and pedestrian tribal, selfish, self centered and bigoted ways.

They too tribally distracted and necessarily and dangerously paranoid to function and lovingly co exist with the rest of Nigeria..

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Nobody: 3:41am On Oct 13, 2015
Soft landing
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Nobody: 3:42am On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

but regretted allegations of corruption directed at her after leaving office.

To my understanding, she means that she shouldn't have taken the appointment if she knew that the people won't appreciate her efforts rather they're making allegations and counter allegations to damage her reputation

But she accepted the appointment anyway because according to her ' we have to fight corruption ourselves'

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by princemillla(m): 3:46am On Oct 13, 2015
Madam are you shivering already, kindly wait for your turn now...

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by BALLOSKI: 3:51am On Oct 13, 2015
Does she have a choice?

we all know gej fought corruption with technology( a made in China technology that's not common in our market).

Thief!

15 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by kahal29: 3:54am On Oct 13, 2015

8 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by kahal29: 3:56am On Oct 13, 2015
stanleychimezie:

A former Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has expressed support for President Muhammadu Buhari’s effort at tackling corruption, saying graft remains Nigeria’s biggest impediment to achieving Sustainable Development Goals.

Speaking on September 30 as a guest
lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania, United States, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said the president was confronting corruption “head
on” and was setting the example that would directly help root out corruption in other sectors of the government.

“The new president of the country who is just taking office has made it the central plan of his administration to fight corruption to root it out, and he sets about restructuring some of the key agencies where things are happening, setting example,” the former minister said at the 2015 Holts Lecture of the Pennsylvania
University Law School.

“I think with that when you see example in one place, it sends the message about what should happen in other places. I think this is being confronted head on. And I think and
hope that with what is going on and what we tried to do in the previous administration, bringing more transparency to way of doing
business.

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said with “the example being set by the president” she was hopeful Nigeria will get rid of corruption.

The former minister discussed Sustainable Development Goals, SDGs, and how illicit financial flow could impede the post 2015
development agenda, especially in developing countries like Nigeria.

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said although funds needed for SDGs are huge, blocking illicit financial flow could help free up the needed funds.

Eighty per cent of the SDGs are infrastructural goals which require $6 trillion in funding for the next 15 years, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said.

She said current global funding for
infrastructures stood at $1.7 trillion, and 60 percent of the SDGs and their funding are to be borne by developing countries – justifying why corruption must be confronted.

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said as minister, she made efforts to improve transparency and fight corruption in the government, but regretted allegations of corruption directed at her after leaving office.

She also hinted that her decision to join the
Goodluck Jonathan government — after serving in the Obasanjo government – may have been mistaken.

“When the opportunity came to go for it for the second time, I went, perhaps unwisely, but I went because no one will fight this corruption for us, we have to do it ourselves….,” she said.

“But having left government, I have come under attack with people saying she’s done this or that, trying to join you in the group of the corrupt.”

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala commented on Mr. Buhari assigning the petroleum ministry to himself.

“I think the president has the prerogative to do a lot of things, and this is not the first time in our country. President Obasanjo was also the president of Petroleum Resources in his time. I am not saying this is the best way or best practice but I am just saying for our
circumstances it is not the first time,” she said.

“If that will bring more clarity, more openness, more transparency to the way the oil sector is done no problem, it’s ok. But if it will not, we have to ask questions.”

She lamented the failure of the Nigerian
National Assembly to pass the Petroleum
Industry Bill, PIB, a failure she blamed on vested interests.

“This bill has the power to transform the entire petroleum industry where there is a lot of corruption,” she said.

“And with that we would have commercialized the oil company (NNPC), made it open up its books but the heavy lobbying by both the domestic vested interests and the international vested interests blocked this.”

http://savinggracereporters.com/headline/okonjo-iweala-backs-buhari-on-corruption-war-4/

Op you can add this link to your source it sounds more credible:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/191420-okonjo-iweala-backs-buhari-on-corruption-war-says-president-leading-by-example.html

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by BALLOSKI: 4:06am On Oct 13, 2015

Trying to save face? Ok! When BUHARI is done with you , you will be stripped of the honours given to you by those in the west who sent you to destroy our economy.

She's just a textbook economist who never came up with an idea that could help our economy at home , instead, she kept borrowing all her economic policies from America. Are we Americans? I guess that's why she failed and the song she had to sing all along was "rebasing of our economy" just to show she's clueless just like her boss.

Who celebrates rebasing of economy as an achievement?

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by Adminisher: 4:21am On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Goodluck Jonathan was not a man who should have been made President. Let us face facts. Even if you hate "Hausa" people, dislike welfarist economic policy, are scared of Muslims etc.c the fact still remains that a better material should have been presented by PDP.
Leaders are born and made. This guy did not show the sacrificing, courageous, self disciplining qualities until shortly before and after the elections. Sadly it was too late.

12 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by onismate: 4:35am On Oct 13, 2015
NOI is just being diplomatic in her words. She's smart and intelligent. You don't expect her to act like Gov. shetima of birni state who went on CNN to condemn GEJ during the chibok saga. NOI is better than that.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by modath(f): 5:07am On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Same thing Edwin Clark said.

Jona may have (OR NOT) been a good man with basic good intentions but he was not an effective & competent president...

& NOI is in the best position to know this... cool

12 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by modath(f): 5:20am On Oct 13, 2015
MayorofLagos:
Hhmm... NOI just threw DIEZANI under the bus.

These people at first thought Buhari was joking onvhis resolve to probe corrupt leaders that ruined the economy.

SE people ruined GEJ's government and as we can see the only people liningvup to worship Buhari since inauguration are the 5%ters. No surprise!

What does NOI want, a pardon?

NOI didn't throw Diezani under a bus, gist is that she detests Diezani with every fibre of her soul cos of her thieving ways...

Have you ever mistakenly seen Diezani & NOI chummy in pic? That they just barely exchange glances at FEC.

Say what you may about madam gele, she is not a THIEF, she is just a guilty of being an unrepentant textbook imperialist economist who didn't let her environment dictate the direction of economic policies ..

SE people didn't ruin Jona, he ruined himself, he is the easiest of marks... are the SW obas SE too,?did they not ride his **** hard? In plain english, he was an ode...

12 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Backs Buhari On Corruption War by omenka(m): 6:13am On Oct 13, 2015
kahal29:

Maybe this one sounds better:

Thanks a lot. smiley

It is becoming all the more obvious those who imagine Jonathan deserves some monument erected in the middle of Abuja for his unparalleled leadership achievements and a Nobel Prize are simply those ethnic and religious bigots that are sorely bitter over his defeat by someone who "doesn't share such common identity with them."

Most of them are very poor mentally and materially and have indeed been the greatest victims of horrendous acts of the ruling class (just like the illiterate who lashed out at me for criticising Jonathan the other day, forgetting he has a "tell tale" dp on this profile).

Some of them, as seen here, are trying so hard to twist what NOI said because it doesn't conform to their twisted principle of "he-is-our-brother-liness". But she has said what she has said and we understand every single word.

I won't be surprised to see the Asaris and Briggs of this world take the last admin, and indeed Jonathan, to the cleaners tomorrow- that man was a total disaster!

Lalasticlala, had yesterday been friday, I'd have understood why this thread isn't on the fp yet. Shooo!!! Which kind sleep u com dey sleep today

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Throwback Picture Of Governor Kashim Shettima / My Kids Are In School, They Did Not Send Any Message On IG - Dino Melaye / Aregbesola Commences Salary Payment, Cuts Pay Of Political Office Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.