Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File (1465 Views)

Army Captain Ordered Us To Steal Saraki’s Money- Arrested DSS Official Confesses / DSS Agents Stole Saraki's Money - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Orders IG To Reduce Policemen Attached To Dignitaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by Rawani: 8:28am On Oct 13, 2015
By Soni Daniel, Regional Editor, North

Indications emerged, yesterday, that the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and that of the Inspector General of Police might have disagreed on what to do with former Kwara Governor, Dr. Bukola Saraki, on his alleged use of fronts to withdraw the sum of N6 billion from the accounts of a company, Joy Petroleum, domiciled in Intercontinental Bank, now Access.

Initially, the Office of the IG had approached a Federal High Court in Abuja on April 26, 2012 to press charges against the former governor for conspiracy, forgery and stealing after claiming to have initiated a comprehensive investigation into a petition sent to it by Joy Petroleum that it was being denied access by the bank following the illegal change of signatory to the account by unknown persons.

But in a legal advice to the IG on the move to prosecute Saraki and others named by the petitioner, the Attorney General advised against taking any action against Saraki and his aides over the bank issue, since from the records available to his office, the former governor had not committed any offence to warrant such trial.

In the legal document, which Vanguard sighted last night, dated 9thOctober 2012, with reference Number DPP/ADV: 061/12, and signed by the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Mrs. O.O. Fatunde, the AGF Office, noted that it would be improper to hold Saraki liable for the internal actions of the then Intercontinental Bank.
The AGF Office said: “It would therefore be improper and unjust in the circumstance to hold Dr. Saraki , Mr. Pinheiro or indeed the companies criminally liable for the internal actions and decisions of the bank and its officials bordering on exercise of discretion.

“Every customer of a bank (corporate or individual) has the right to apply for a loan on the most favourable terms possible. This alone does not constitute any offence under any law because it is within the discretion of the bank to grant or refuse such loan application.

“Dr. Saraki and Pinheiro are alleged to be connected with the grant of the loans as promoter and director respectively of the companies. By virtue of Section 18 of the Act, a director or any other partner or officer of a company can only be held responsible in that capacity for the actions of the company if the company is guilty of an offence under the Act.

“Since the company in this case cannot be held to have committed any offence under Section 15( 1) (a), it follows that Dr. Saraki and Mr. Pinheiro cannot also be held criminally responsible only on account of having acted as promoter and director of the companies in connection with the said loan,” the DPP advised.

However in a new twist that is likely to upturn the whole investigation and pave the way for the prosecution of the former governor, the Attorney General has written a different letter to the IG to hand over the case file to him for further action.
In the new letter, which Vanguard obtained last night, the AGF in insisting that his office needed to carry out further review of the case file before any further action is taken on the matter.

In a memo with reference No. DPP/ADV: 061/12/91 and addressed to the Inspector General of Police with particular attention to the Commissioner of Police Special Fraud Unit, and signed by Haruna Isa Alabi, Deputy Director of Public Prosecution, the AGF said his office wanted the case file to be able to ascertain whether the evidence presented against Saraki and others was borne out of mere suspicion or was capable of sustaining a conviction before trial.

Saraki has said that there was no infraction of any law in the matter, which his companies obtained loans and paid back to the banks through agreed terms of settlement.

But the former IG, Mohammed Abubakar, who initiated the trial of Saraki, had alleged among other things that the former governor made the bank to lose funds by using his fronts while serving as governor to engage in money laundering.

SOURCE:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/fg-orders-ig-to-hand-over-saraki-money-laundering-case-file/

[img]http://cdn2.vanguardngr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/200x286xBukola-Saraki-200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-4dKVixoG4.webp[/img]
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by Rawani: 8:28am On Oct 13, 2015
There are many ways to bell a cat.

Saraki has clearly gotten the message, and is now falling in line. All of sudden his spokesman Dino is offering to negotiate the Senate rule on senatorial backing for proposed ministers, and all that arrogant posturing pre-CCT is now deflated.

However while an obedient Saraki is more valuable than a wounded Saraki, the man must fully account for his fraudulent asset declaration among other allegations, in our national interest; this is not about wailers or masturbators.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by benedictnsi(m): 8:30am On Oct 13, 2015
I don't know why I just like this Saraki irrespective or........ Wah Eva

Someone just quoted me and said it's because I love CORRUPTION grin
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by importexpert(m): 8:30am On Oct 13, 2015
nice post
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by dustmalik: 8:31am On Oct 13, 2015
This news is old. This was back in March.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by Rawani: 8:37am On Oct 13, 2015
dustmalik:
This news is old. This was back in March.

It was posted on NL this morning without source or editing, so the edited and referenced version was posted.

https://www.nairaland.com/2661894/fg-orders-ig-hand-over#38930473

Thanks for the observation.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by braine(m): 8:39am On Oct 13, 2015
Okay.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by giantstrides(m): 8:42am On Oct 13, 2015
benedictnsi:
I don't know why I just like this Saraki irrespective or........ Wah Eva

Maybe because corruption is ingrained inside you, you have been seeing corruption everywhere so you are used to it .
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by macpetrus(m): 8:42am On Oct 13, 2015
drama upon Drama
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by benedictnsi(m): 8:46am On Oct 13, 2015
giantstrides:

Maybe because corruption is ingrained inside you, you have been seeing corruption everywhere so you are used to it .

Lol bros..... I know you just wanted to yarb me...... But the truth is that you just got me laughing gringringrin You are funny

Isiaki
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by marv1: 8:53am On Oct 13, 2015
We are watching u o. All these politicians they have some in common.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by IbokUtoroh(m): 9:06am On Oct 13, 2015
SUMMARY: APC FIGHTS APC.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 13, 2015
Read before commenting.

These news is March 14th, 2015. It is Jonathan govt news.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 13, 2015
IbokUtoroh:
SUMMARY: APC FIGHTS APC.

Read before commenting.

it was PDP vs APC
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by Nobody: 9:14am On Oct 13, 2015
importexpert:
nice post

Read before commenting.

Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by sammyj: 9:21am On Oct 13, 2015
ok
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by giantstrides(m): 10:02am On Oct 13, 2015
benedictnsi:

Lol bros..... I know you just wanted to yarb me...... But the truth is that you just got me laughing gringringrin You are funny

Isiaki

Bros, I no dey yarb you o, I just dey talk how Nigeria don turn our perspection of corrupt people, in saner climes, we are supposed to loathe them for what they turned the country into, but here we admire them and how skilled they are in stealing wealth.

Everyone is guilty.
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by IbokUtoroh(m): 10:08am On Oct 13, 2015
atbu1983:

Read before commenting.
it was PDP vs APC

does it change d fact that saraki APC is fighting APC?
Re: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File by Ephemmm: 11:15am On Oct 13, 2015
Just to checkmate his power in the screening exercise.

(1) (Reply)

Kogi Election: “partisan” Attorney General May Have Misled INEC — Judge / Thousands Of Shiites Hold Prayers In Bauchi For The Release Of El-Zakzaky (pics) / Bishop Kukah Speaks Out On Biafra And Zaria Massacre.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.