Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,065 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. (23362 Views)

World’s First Floating City To Emerge In The Pacific Ocean By 2020 / Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean / Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 03, 2015
ferdspiration:
what is Op?

Original poster

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by IykeWest: 7:44am On Nov 03, 2015
The gold sitting at the bottom of d oceans can't be mined cos we can't reach it,even in a submarine cos the water pressure will crush u to bits,and will def crush a submarine, doubt it? Browse it! tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by lawflec(m): 7:45am On Nov 03, 2015
Thanks op.... Can u update as soon as possible.. Secondly, Gold account for what percentage of the GDPA of Ghana and south Africa. I ve not gotten the EXACT figure for a while now..

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by ferdspiration: 7:45am On Nov 03, 2015
brandymcmb:

Original poster
hahaha,i thought fp is front page abi is it fake poster??
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by IykeWest: 7:46am On Nov 03, 2015
[quote author=ferdspiration post=39630949]hahaha,i thought fp is front page abi is it fake poster?? grin
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by SIRTee15: 7:56am On Nov 03, 2015
Explorers:
37. Mining doesn't make poor countries rich.

Nations where the most mining takes place are also some of the poorest countries in the world. In these countries, national governments are helping mining companies to get the minerals they want. The small amount of money that poor countries get from mining companies is taken by international banks, not local people. Fourteen Majority World countries get at least a third of their export revenues from minerals. Their external debts are 1.4 times greater than their Gross National Product (GNP).

are u sure?
what about australia, botswana, south africa, canada.
the above countries benefit massively from their mining industry.
i think its all about management and sound economic policies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 03, 2015
op, well done, you try.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by vRendoh(m): 8:14am On Nov 03, 2015
cool cool cool
Good presentation! We need more of this posts. WE must wake up from the singing, dancing, eating and love making syndrome.

3 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by maryhaam(f): 8:19am On Nov 03, 2015
This is educative,nice one
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by millhouse: 8:22am On Nov 03, 2015
Money matter
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by mheey(f): 8:42am On Nov 03, 2015
Proudly Geologist

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by shizzy7(f): 8:48am On Nov 03, 2015
juman:
This is one industry the useless "leaders" have never explored.
They shouldn't explore it because the rich will get super richer,, the poor will get dirt poorer.....

We haven't recovered from the "Resource Curse" caused by the black Gold they've been exploring for decades...
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by czarr(m): 8:57am On Nov 03, 2015
Educative and informative, op. Well done grin
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Archmage(m): 9:03am On Nov 03, 2015
I love this thread!
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 03, 2015
Please moderators, lilian esoro and ubi has married, please dont bring their topic again. I am tired. This is the type of topic you should be bringing to the front page

12 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 03, 2015
Even a state in the US has more oil reserve than Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Pdizzle(m): 9:19am On Nov 03, 2015
Explorers:
37. Mining doesn't make poor countries rich.

Nations where the most mining takes place are also some of the poorest countries in the world. In these countries, national governments are helping mining companies to get the minerals they want. The small amount of money that poor countries get from mining companies is taken by international banks, not local people. Fourteen Majority World countries get at least a third of their export revenues from minerals. Their external debts are 1.4 times greater than their Gross National Product (GNP).

Resource curse.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by ben1daEbiri(m): 9:25am On Nov 03, 2015
IykeWest:
The gold sitting at the bottom of d oceans can't be mined cos we can't reach it,even in a submarine cos the water pressure will crush u to bits,and will def crush a submarine, doubt it? Browse it! tongue
but do you also know that submersibles have been used to tour titanic's sink site which are thousands of feet below sea level,atmospheric pressure can not in any way be compared to the pressure below sea level but i believed with time,that wouldn't be a factor,the bigger challange would be illumination:light cannot travel deep in the sea....timing is everything,i'm not sure if einstein,galileo etc think space travel was possible but today,we can go to the moon (and very soon,people would seek to travel for holidays) with ease,in the nearest future,mining in the sea will become an achieved milestone!

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Moriarty01: 9:42am On Nov 03, 2015
Pdizzle:

Resource curse.

yeah. resource curse
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by CCsurplus007(m): 9:48am On Nov 03, 2015
Explorers:
10 billion tons of gold sits underneath the sea bed, it is destined to sit here however as there is no way to access it.

I may disagree there have been recent advances in ocean and deep sea mining even mining in the artic. However, environmental concerns have restricted their exploration and exploitation .
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:17am On Nov 03, 2015
samsard:
Wow, truly fascinating. Imagine the amount of gold stored away, versus the one beneath the ocean that we can't access. Nice work, Explorers.

But once you are able to access it, it becomes 'worthless'.

I heard that diamonds, too, are aplenty. They are hoarded to create artificial scarcity.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by shumuel(m): 10:28am On Nov 03, 2015
hmmm, just gat to comment Explorers you are really exploring
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by IykeWest: 10:35am On Nov 03, 2015
ben1daEbiri:
but do you also know that submersibles have been used to tour titanic's sink site which are thousands of feet below sea level,atmospheric pressure can not in any way be compared to the pressure below sea level but i believed with time,that wouldn't be a factor,the bigger challange would be illumination:light cannot travel deep in the sea....timing is everything,i'm not sure if einstein,galileo etc think space travel was possible but today,we can go to the moon (and very soon,people would seek to travel for holidays) with ease,in the nearest future,mining in the sea will become an achieved milestone!
I Pray so bro. Hopefully I'll be alive to mine dem golds myself grin
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Lobolintin(m): 10:39am On Nov 03, 2015
Hmmmmmmm.......
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by donsteady(m): 10:57am On Nov 03, 2015
Explorers:
35. The last time Olympic gold medals were entirely of gold was in 1912.
The Olympic gold medals awarded in 1912 were made entirely from gold. Currently, the gold medals just must be covered in six grams of gold.
Honestly before now, i thought the medal is 100% gold, is not fair to be giving just 6 grams of gold after all the training and sleepless night. the poor will always be poor. too bad. How about the Golden boot? maybe 15 grams of gold i guess
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by holocron: 11:20am On Nov 03, 2015
Explorers:
32. Portability: Oil rigs, unlike their predecessors from the early days of oil drilling, are quite portable, and can be transported from one drilling site to the next. The tall derrick located on the oil rigs contains the drilling pipe and bits necessary to pierce the bedrock in search of oil. When the oil rig has pumped all of the available oil from the location, the well is sealed and the pipe equipment is hauled back onto the rig. A large ship or tug boat(s) then tows the rig to its next destination.

Correction please. The offshore rig only drills and moves away. It does not pump out oil from the ground. A production platform, well heads and pipelines are used for the actual oil extraction.

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Kingsasian(m): 11:31am On Nov 03, 2015
IykeWest:
of course.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Kingsasian(m): 11:36am On Nov 03, 2015
holocron:

Correction please. The offshore rig only drills and moves away. It does not pump out oil from the ground. A production platform, well heads and pipelines are used for the actual oil extraction.
that is a fellow SPE member talking.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Spidermon: 12:02pm On Nov 03, 2015
Nice thread. Unlike the tonto dike kinda bull that has taken over NL's frontpage recently

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2015
ferdspiration:
hahaha,i thought fp is front page abi is it fake poster??

Lol u ain't serious

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Egbema Power Plant In Pics / The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered / Free Invitations to GMail, Orkut and Yahoo 360 are available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.