Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,235 members, 7,839,246 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Ekiti Inec Boss Quits, Resignation Not Accepted: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Inec Boss Quits, Resignation Not Accepted: (1165 Views)

Prof Mohamood Yusuf: Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The New INEC Boss / Ekiti Inec Resident Commissioner Resignation Letter / Ekiti: INEC Commisioner Resigns; Okiro Declares Her Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti Inec Boss Quits, Resignation Not Accepted: by Olayinkaoj(m): 9:13am On Apr 29, 2009
‘My conscience as a Christian can’t allow me to go on’

Mrs. Olusola Ayoka Adebayo

Ekiti State Resident Electoral Commissioner Mrs Olusola Ayoka Adebayo yesterday threw in the towel. She resigned her appointment.

Mrs. Adebayo served her notice of resignation yesterday on President Umaru Yar’Adua. She sent a copy to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Maurice Iwu.

In the letter, dated April 28, 2009, Mrs. Adebayo said it was unfortunate that the circumstances of the rerun governorship poll that ought to be a model had been changed half-way.

She said she quit because she would never do anything against her conscience.

The 74-year old Commissioner said she resigned with a "heavy heart".

The letter reads: "It is with heavy heart that I am writing to inform you of my resignation as the Resident Electoral Commissioner for Ekiti State.

"In accordance with the rule of law, the on-going election in Ekiti was supposed to be the election that will enhance the image of INEC, electoral process in our dear country Nigeria and the whole black race.

"Unfortunately, the circumstances changed in the middle of the process; therefore, my conscience as a Christian cannot allow me to further participate in the process.

"I thank you and my great country Nigeria for giving me the rare opportunity to serve."

The resignation of Mrs. Adebayo confirmed The Nation’s exclusive report on Monday that she had been under pressure to declare ex-Governor Segun Oni the elected governor.

She had told the Chairman of the Ekiti State Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA), Dr. Samuel Omoyeni: "They want me to announce fake results. I can’t; at my age; for how much?"

Her resignation is said to have jolted the Presidency where some officials had been working at cross-purposes with the President.

A source said: "Yar’Adua is unwavering in his commitment to ensuring a free and fair poll in Ekiti State. The President has resisted pressure in the last four days to interfere with the electoral process.

"Some hawks in the Presidency and PDP chieftains wanted Oni to be declared winner but they could not get the support of the President.

"Even when he met with the Chairman of INEC and others at the Villa on Monday night, Yar’Adua insisted that only a transparent process could enhance the nation’s democracy.

"But this resignation letter has caused disquiet in the Presidency. The government is already thinking of a way out."

At INEC, a source said: "The resignation has upset the INEC chairman because the whole thing borders on the integrity of the commission.

"We are all sad indeed because the resignation will rub off on all of us.

"INEC has two options out of the stalemate. It could either cancel the elections or conclude the poll as directed by the President.

"But in the interim, after due consultations, a new REC has to be appointed for Ekiti State."

It was, however, gathered that INEC is also in a fix because it cannot form a quorum to take a decision on Ekiti poll.

The dilemma of INEC followed the depletion of its commissioners from 13 to five.

Only five commissioners have been in charge of the electoral commission in the last seven months.

It was learnt that the five-year tenure of eight of the 13 commissioners expired in 2008 and they have to quit office.

The national commissioners who have left since August are: Ekpenyong Nsa, Mohammed Abubakar, Esther Sallah, Setley Dadze, Mohammed Bello, Senator Olorunnibe Farunkanmi and Ishmael Igabani.

The five who are there now are: Prof. Maurice Iwu(Chairman), Victor Chukwuani, Phillip Umeadi Jr., Solomon Soyebi and Dr. Mohammed Jumare. The eighth slot is yet to be filled.

Jumare’s tenure expired on April 28, leaving only four commissioners at INEC.

A top management source in INEC, who spoke in confidence, said: "We have a serious crisis at hand because this electoral commission is not fully constituted. We have five commissioners left and they do not represent the six geopolitical zones as constitutionally required.

"Apart from the chairman, we used to have two commissioners representing each of the six geopolitical zones.

"So far, three of the five surviving commissioners are from the South-East, one from the South-West, and the other from the North-West. There are no commissioners representing the North-Central, North-East and South-South.

"Although five commissioners are required to form a quorum and ratify any decision at the commission, Jumare’s tenure has already expired.

"With the expiration of Jumare’s tenure, only Iwu and three commissioners will be left to manage INEC. These four commissioners cannot take any decision because they won’t be able to form a quorum.

"Any aggrieved party in Ekiti State can go to court to challenge INEC’s decision based on lack of quorum. And before you know it, we will sink deeper into this stalemate."
Re: Ekiti Inec Boss Quits, Resignation Not Accepted: by RICHIEBOI1(m): 9:26am On Apr 29, 2009
PDP thought it would be business as usual in ekiti state they are in for a shocker. the resident electoral commissioner resigning at the time of election how embarrasing. this is a closely monitored election lets see how they will rig this one grin
Re: Ekiti Inec Boss Quits, Resignation Not Accepted: by SkyBlue1: 9:33am On Apr 29, 2009
RICHIE BOI:

PDP thought it would be business as usual in ekiti state they are in for a shocker. the resident electoral commissioner resigning at the time of election how embarrasing. this is a closely monitored election lets see how they will rig this one grin

I concur, that is why in another thread it was being stressed that monitoring of elections is vital in Nigeria for fighting electoral practises. When I mean monitoring I mean the sort that went on in Ekiti whereby we were all hearing and seeing what is going on. Imagine if this was a presidential election, this whole issue would have been swallowed up with focus being on all states, now that the focus is just on one state see what such scrutiny can achieve. Imagine presidential electrions being held with such scrutiny for each state. Let us see how PDP will rig this election and retain any moral ground in Ekiti state.
Re: Ekiti Inec Boss Quits, Resignation Not Accepted: by chidichris(m): 3:34pm On Apr 29, 2009
who is rejecting her resignation? we are expecting more of this. working is not by force. she is saying; I NO DEY DO AGAINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

unfortunately, we have a set of shameless imbeciles as leaders. why forcing the woman?

prof iwu shld follow suit. we want to wake up to the news that yar adua has resigned.
God will surely answer the prayers of his children . they will either resigned peacefully or by fire.

PAPA GOD, PLEASE VISIT OUR LEADER BY FIRE.

(1) (Reply)

‘‘governor Gbenga Daniel Is Planning To Kill Me" A Former A.g. In Ogun State. / Nigerian Billionaire Enters Battle For Arsenal / Olisa Agbakoba : Constitutional Interpretation Of Zoning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.