Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? (45951 Views)

Yakubu Gowon And His Wife, Victoria In 1969 (Throwback Photo ) / Gowon Shakes Hands With Trudeau..in 1973 / Yakubu Gowon Shaking Hands With, Justin Trudeau Current Canadian Prime Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Najatu: 6:04pm On Oct 21, 2015
Our own system of denied youth from active part in governing process BC it was designed by dubious and greedy leaders in d past
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 21, 2015
Firefire:
Buhary is the biggest SCAM in the history of Africa.

Go and slap him nah.... all these shout and no action is getting tiring
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 21, 2015
[size=15pt]Like Fashola once stated "its not about the age but the age of ones ideas".... Age is not a criteria for development, if Trudeau is what Canada needs at this point, good for them. What Nigeria needs at this point is a leader we are sure to cleanse the system and that is what we got. Look at GEJ, he was young, a "PHD" holder but as GOOD AS A 10 YEAR OLD IN ASO ROCK.

Nigerians should stop being concerned with infinitesimal details and look at the rational bigger picture, we need to stop discussing matters like unlearned sentimental drunkards in a bar trying to argue matters that are meaningless to the socioeconomic good of any man, irritating to say the least.

What you should challenge in a leader is his ideas, policies and actions not his age, c'mon Nigeria Can we grow up?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by oluwafemi113(m): 6:08pm On Oct 21, 2015
Martins301:
The sad truth is majority of Nigerian youths have been extremely corrupted to the extent that electing them into top government position is suicide for the country. With the way things are, I dare to say that the youths will do worse if they get elected into government positions. If you doubt me, look at the level of rot in NANS, National Association of Nigerian Students, sample the opinion of "enligtened" youths on Nairaland. You will fear for the future of this country. Forget it. The only solution is revolution, complete and total annihilation of the rotten class of politicians.

The truth is bitter.....
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Yinkame123(m): 6:12pm On Oct 21, 2015
moscobabs:
In the picture below was Gen. Gowon in 1973 shaking hands with baby Trudeau, son to the then Prime minister of Canada Elliot Trudeau.

Fast forward to 2015, that baby is now voted as the Prime Minister of Canada..

Meanwhile a country close to Niger republic voted Gowon's former colleague and age mate..

Without Sentiment, Let discuss .

In as much as our politics still revolve around money, ethinicity and religion it will take the camel to pass through the eyes of the needle before what we termed as youth will occupied the seat of president in this nation. Have we asked ourselves how much in cash value will it take to procure election in Nigeria even from the local level. Which money bag in our country today will bring billions to support our so called youth to lead our nation? In most cases we sight example from countries where things are normal. Where the environment create opportunities that will make one to want to lead and will have the chance to lead without anyone looking at where you come from and what material things you possess.

Are the old war horses to blame for been the one that continue to rule us from donkey years? our constitution does not allowed independent candidate, hence you need a party to sponsor you. From the party level without telling ourselves lies, do we actually believe a party in Nigeria that have chances of winning an election will bring some toddlers that are still sucking their parent breast to lead the nation? Whenever we bring this issue up we tend to ask ourselves the hard question. Youths made of 60% of our population which kind of youth are we talking about?. Youth that are yet to know what they want from live? Youth that are yet to acquire the necessary skills and experience to even lead their immediate family talk less of a whole nation. Skill are learned, experience are acquired and environment played a vital role in the outcome of the two. From your post the young man was son of former prime minister of Canada which means he was born into political family which has given him the necessary skill, experience and exposure to lead. If the likes of Tinubu, Obasanjo, Ojukwu, Azikwe sponsored their children to become leader in this country aint we the same people that will scream blue murder that they are turning the nation to family affairs. In my humble opinion the situation in our country does still not present the opportunity for our so called youth to occupy higher position.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Cvesta(m): 6:13pm On Oct 21, 2015
Martins301:
The sad truth is majority of Nigerian youths have been extremely corrupted to the extent that electing them into top government position is suicide for the country. With the way things are, I dare to say that the youths will do worse if they get elected into government positions. If you doubt me, look at the level of rot in NANS, National Association of Nigerian Students, sample the opinion of "enligtened" youths on Nairaland. You will fear for the future of this country. Forget it. The only solution is revolution, complete and total annihilation of the rotten class of politicians.
You are the true son of your Father
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by nwolisar: 6:17pm On Oct 21, 2015
Without Sentiments how old is Bernie Sanders, Hilary Clinton, Ben Carson & Joe Biden (if he decides to contest). Honestly the age debate is stale already. Next?

2 Likes

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by jeroton: 6:22pm On Oct 21, 2015
All these wailers should just wait for 2019 to vote for young person or contest Insted of coming here to cry as if young person didn't contest in the last election. and if you look at at those hypocrites none of them voted for the youngest person in the last election. Bunch of loosers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by ALISMILE(m): 6:23pm On Oct 21, 2015
moscobabs:
In the picture below was Gen. Gowon in 1973 shaking hands with baby Trudeau, son to the then Prime minister of Canada Elliot Trudeau.

Meanwhile a country close to Niger republic voted Gowon's former colleague and age mate..

u will agree wit me that u re very brainless because if somttin like dis was to happen in Nig, such that a former presidents son becomes the president, u will be one of d 1st monkeys to shout nepotism or born to rule busheeeeeet! I still prefer baba to him!

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by ALISMILE(m): 6:25pm On Oct 21, 2015
jeroton:
All these wailers should just wait for 2019 to vote for young person or contest Insted of coming here to cry as if young person didn't contest in the last election. and if you look at at those hypocrites none of them voted for the youngest person in the last election. Bunch of loosers.
tthank u very much!

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Kjking(m): 6:27pm On Oct 21, 2015
hypocrites!!!! these are still the same youths here on nairaland that will be Jumping and shouting APC!!!!!!!! PDP!!!!!!!!!! see them
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by abatically(m): 6:28pm On Oct 21, 2015
Martins301:

Gbam. True talk.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by ooshinibos: 6:28pm On Oct 21, 2015
it is the Nigerian MENTALITY we should talk about , it is our thinking that's give us the leaders we deserve ...if our thinking changes terrible leader irrespective of the age will not be able to lead us astray..right now , majority of our leader think like a Nigerian .
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by ISpiksDaTroof: 6:29pm On Oct 21, 2015
kettykin:
So a 42 year old man is now the prime minister and head of government of one of the biggest economies in the world while some fraudsters with their change gimmicks has fooled Nigerians into electing a 70 year old ex military personnel to be their president.
Who was this "old man" contesting against? Was his opponent fit to even be Head Herder of a Goat Farm ?
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by erumena(m): 6:30pm On Oct 21, 2015
kettykin:
So a 42 year old man is now the prime minister and head of government of one of the biggest economies in the world while some fraudsters with their change gimmicks has fooled Nigerians into electing a 70 year old ex military personnel to be their president.

Canada didn't have a party like PDP who ruled for 16 years with nothing to show for it, nor have corrupt Leaders who cares not for the Country but themselves. Canada is a civilized Country that follow due process and smooth transfer of power. We needed a Buhari to wrest power from PDP so we can start afresh!
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by ooshinibos: 6:32pm On Oct 21, 2015
moscobabs:

Nigeria is not for the young ones , all the good young ones have left and live in Europe or America .... he remaining young ones are greedy as hell and busy listening to afro beat and watching nollywood

2 Likes

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by holocron: 6:37pm On Oct 21, 2015
TIMEISWISDOM:
Such my brother is the pathetic case of Africa whose failed leaders either hold onto power or continues to rotate it within few failed individuals.

only a failed leader holds onto power or wants more of it else if a leader has given his all, it is very easy for such a leader to relinquish power .History tells me this

I thought you should be saying this about trudeau who's father was prime minister before him. You call that genuine democracy? We African s should be confident and formulate our own unique political systems like china ( and the west themselves) has done and not follow the west sheepishly. Every country is unique. There is no one size fits all formular for political and economic advancement.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 21, 2015
Their own case is different. They're not struggling with power supply, thieving of billions of dollars, antiquated railway system, etc. In fact, let Buhari be 95 years old, he should carry on; scores of millions of Nigerians are behind him!!!

By God's grace, he will stupendously succeed!

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by TIMEISWISDOM(m): 6:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
holocron:

I thought you should be saying this about trudeau who's father was prime minister before him. You call that genuine democracy? We African s should be confident and formulate our own unique political systems like china ( and the west themselves) has done and not follow the west sheepishly. Every country is unique. There is no one size fits all formular for political and economic advancement.
What was his father's contributions to his success?
Do you know that he won from an opposition party and wasn't even a favourite prior to the polls.
But he succeeded in communicating his ideas and was voted in by the masses.
The case is Nigeria is where we complain our leaders have failed us and still vote the same set of people into power.
It is only a fool that does the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.
Our fathers has failed us woefuly, we should try out another section of our society in leadership.

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by ccaramel(f): 6:49pm On Oct 21, 2015
Ilekeh:
Was this a democratic movement? Why is the son of a prime minister now a prime minister?

I sense nepotism.

Yep. He won fair and square in a very fair election. His father was PM years ago....so doesn't really count. He's been active in Canadian politics with various positions.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by JuanDeDios: 6:50pm On Oct 21, 2015
moscobabs:

Bro not about Buhari but about Nigeria, do not be sentimental.
He isn't being sentimental. Age is not the issue. Your position is purely emotional.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Athanatos(m): 6:52pm On Oct 21, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt] The greatest mistake we made in nigeria is not allowing the flaming sword of uthman dan fodio to sanctify the south
Nigeria will never have peace untill the flaming sword of uthman danfodio touched the atlantic ocean and the religion of peace soak up the heart of all nigerians so that we can see ourself as brothers.

[/size]

Are you well at all?

Just asking.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by EMMNIG: 7:03pm On Oct 21, 2015
Nigeria is indeed worse than a zoo, can't imagine how and why such an old, mediocre, uneloquent, unfit, stack illiterate called Buhari should be the president of Nigeria. Are cursed. can someone rise up for Nigeria
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by YoowPeeRochas(m): 7:07pm On Oct 21, 2015
The last time I checked, Nigeria had nothing whatsoever in common with Canada!(Take it or not, Oyibo sense and maturity in Politics can't be equated with that of young Nigerians*fact*) Shebi na here wey you ,as a youth, go devote your time gossiping and replying threads on #MadeMen u go become the leader of ur tomorrow ni.... #OmoAleJatiJati.. Go and work on your future now, youths!!! I don ball out 2 go affect my today as against my 2moro! PEACE... I Lov #PMB/PYO.

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by jeroton: 7:11pm On Oct 21, 2015
EMMNIG:
Nigeria is indeed worse than a zoo, can't imagine how and why such an old, mediocre, uneloquent, unfit, stack illiterate called Buhari should be the president of Nigeria. Are cursed. can someone rise up for Nigeria
yes, you should rise up for Nigeria in 2019 let's see how good you are
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by kunzaar83(m): 7:16pm On Oct 21, 2015
kettykin:
wailing wailers una go wail till 2023 when Baba Buhari g retire we go come give Rt Hon Dogara Yakubu Dogara him too go rule for 8years grin grin
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Oduduwaboy(m): 7:18pm On Oct 21, 2015
Why are fools like you alive sef? How old was Ronald Reagan when he became american president in 1984 and he led America to win the cold war? mtcheee!
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by FANE4Naija: 7:21pm On Oct 21, 2015
Adminisher:

You are just deceiving yourself. Buhari is a first class brain with proven leadership skills. You guys are too empty to realise what leadership is. Trudeau needs just 30 % leadership skills and 70 % inter-institutional stakeholder management skills. You can be a good place PM or President in the developed countries without leadership skills. Donto even try that in the third world. The man Buhari replaced was not a leader. Pure and simple. Now we have a steady hand. China had Deng Xia O Ping for all the reforms that made that country great . The man was 81 years. The current leader of Iran is in his 70s and he has made his country self sufficient. Mandela, Ronald Reagan etc.c were in their 70s. An old lion is far better than a young sheep. Lion is to lead, Sheep is to follow. Please stop the low IQ talk about modern young brain ..my our are just showing that you went to a Nigerian university

I can't thank you enough.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by BabaO2: 7:24pm On Oct 21, 2015
moscobabs:

What of if John McCain (79) is the president of America which was almost, I wonder what would have been your model for a country like Nigeria's leadership?. Stop speaking and sponsoring rubbbish all the time
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by FANE4Naija: 7:30pm On Oct 21, 2015
Martins301:

You see, your logic was on point until that last statement.
I'd advise that we go back to history.
A series of revolution was carried out in this country by 'Youth' between 1966-67. They carried out a near total annihilation of the rotten politicians then. Almost 50years now, I am sad to say that we are no better because of does youthful action or "Revolution" as you'd like to call it.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by babadee1(m): 7:47pm On Oct 21, 2015
Better a competent old man than an incompetent young one. Age is not a relevant issue when you're talking about good governance.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by edward1984(m): 8:03pm On Oct 21, 2015
FastShipping:

Why don't you buy a nomination form for a 34-40 year old of your choice and fund his campaign to become president? Nobody can force any young man to contest. If you want to serve, go ahead and contest and not all this rubbish talk of "not giving younger ones a chance".

Mr Fastshipping, I have seen lots of your comments on NL and your works too and I really admire. so please keep it that way. You should respect others political view not using words like "rubbish talk[b]", That not mature.[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UN Reopens Abuja Building Eight Years After Boko Haram Bombing (Pics) / Jonathan: I’ll Become Peace Ambassador After Leaving Office / Operation Awatse: Military Bombs Militants In Fatola. Scores Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.