Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,637 members, 7,813,107 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (667993 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 28, 2015
IlekeHD:

Yes, mo feran e gan.
Do you have list of Yoruba video game designers/writers/coders/creators?
Broke up with someone that thought video game was childish.......just for that reason alone. Ara oko ni some Nigerians when it comes to video games.....

Hmmmmmn Interestingly I know a couple of them especially back home but I don't have their biographies.Me sef for don show myself for here but I don't want to be deciphered tongue.Anyways I've worked on A-list titles that you've probably played.Can Aareonakakanfo get a round of applause? grin cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:01am On Nov 28, 2015
CabbieAC:
Hmmmmmn Interestingly I know a couple of them especially back home but I don't have their biographies.Me sef for don show myself for here but I don't want to be deciphered tongue.Anyways I've worked on A-list titles that you've probably played.Can Aareonakakanfo get a round of applause grin cheesy

Gist me with 2 of the titles....

When you say back home, do you mean Nigeria? If we have game designers in Nigeria, how come we haven't designed our own video games?

You sound quite reserved and old grin smiley .... I still can't envision you behind a game console....
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ilaje44(m): 7:04am On Nov 28, 2015
modath:

!!!

Alarina Moddy, o ko tile soro opelenge obinrin Egba ti o ni o fe fun mi mo. Bawo ni, se o ko ni black friday abi cyber monday package lati Egba fun baba agba yii ni?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 7:06am On Nov 28, 2015

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:06am On Nov 28, 2015
[size=18pt]Gamsole – Nigeria
[/size]

Founded by Abiola Elijah Olaniran, the Nigeria developer has one simple goal in mind – to make mobile games that are as much fun as possible. “Our goal is to make games that are fun to play; plain and simple. Each game offers a widely imaginative and irresistibly fun gameplay experience that appeals to gamers of all age groups.” And he has been doing something right, as he was recently named by Microsoft Nigeria as the highest paid app developer in the country at the Lagos iDEA launch. With five mobile games available, Olaniran said that they have enjoyed great success. “The uptake has been great, in a time period of three months, five of our games have gotten over 1-million downloads on the Windows Phone store alone.”
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2015
kaycid77:

!!

Reported....

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 7:14am On Nov 28, 2015
MayorofLagos:
Aare,

Here is the next stage on this website. We need to know our Obas. Please raise the point. Lets start from Jebba and work our way down to the coast. People should post pictures of their Obas and name his/her domain. It is optional to add a short history.

What ya think?
What is wrong with people of Ijebu-Igbo ? They'v been having a kingship dispute for the past +20years. They'v had no King ever since.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Funjosh(m): 7:14am On Nov 28, 2015
Am loving this cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 7:15am On Nov 28, 2015
IlekeHD:

Lord I love amazon...everything about amazon. grin grin

I love their UX/UI creativity/innovations...I often get inspired by their element codes when I'm designing.

I didn't know they ship to Nigeria....interesting.

@ bolded sucks..... can't you buy from Jumia/konga? Don't they have sales?

So you're going to be gone for a while? cry cry cry Ma miss yin .

Mi o ni one iota of idea about programming, coding etc,

Amazon just commenced shipping but you'd order something worth 50$ & tell you shipping is 70$ cheesy

Mi o lo si ibi kankan.. cheesy,
Eko ni ati fe lo ki awon ana mi, ki won le ri omo wa kekere......
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Funjosh(m): 7:17am On Nov 28, 2015
[s]
kaycid77:

shocked shocked cheesy...This is pure impunity.... failing your own Rules, even changing the Title will not change the content of this thread. The other SE threads were left ion Politics section because they were created before the rules were initiated. Anyway this is your site but when you make rules and break them just to satisfy your ppl then you lose the value and vision of this forum.... Now you just Rig this thread into Politics section by just changing the title and you did it just to satisfy ppl like ILEKEH and co but also tell them not to use this thread for chest-beating and Bigotry comment against the SS and SE...I visit this thread once in a while to see what SW have for us politically and developmentally but all you see is HISTORY and Culture news.... anyway cheers
[/s]

undecided ;-\ undecided
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:18am On Nov 28, 2015
[size=18pt]Nigeria’s Highest Paid Windows Game Developer Launches Competition for New Talent
[/size]

Award-winning Nigerian mobile games company, Gamsole, has launched a new competition offering US$4,000 in prizes and career opportunities for five talented illustrators. Founded by Abiola Olaniran, Nigeria’s highest paid Windows game developer, Gamsole creates games for the Windows phone platform, taking advantage of its fast growth and unsaturated gaming market.

The competition will be running until the 23rd November and entrants must submit a graphical concept for a game, including character design in different moods and positions. Gamsole will be offering a US$3 000 prize for the best illustrator, with the runner-up receiving US$1 000. “The top five will be offered permanent positions at Gamsole’s offices in Lagos, giving them the chance to own equity and be part of a high-growth, fast-paced startup,” says Abiola.

With a passion for mobile application and design, the computer science and mathematics graduate started his business two years ago. In just six months of launching games on the Windows Phone Store Abiola had over three million players worldwide who fell in love with the addictive gameplay experience, from China to Brazil.

“About 38% of mobile phone users all over the world consume games, second to the use of social networks. People never get tired of gaming. On an everyday basis, millions of people are experiencing little boring moments: the long queue at the supermarket, the traffic, a 13-hour flight. Apart from providing the entertainment factor for scenarios like this, mobile gaming also serves as a great tool for education.”

After being one of the first African startups to be awarded an innovation grant from Microsoft 4Afrika, Abiola’s games now top over nine million downloads. Popular games include Juicy Links and Cookie Jam.

“We want to focus on creating high-quality games for mobile and desktop with a distinct African flavor, for example, educational and African-themed are a great way to engage people in local stories and issues in a fun way. Excellent graphics are an essential component of game development and we require the best illustrators to take the company forward.”

Finding the right skills is a challenge facing many businesses, especially startups that can’t always compete with the salaries that larger corporations can afford. “There are so many benefits of being part of a smaller enterprise,” says Amrote Abdella, Director of Venture Capital and Startups at Microsoft. “Not everyone can be an entrepreneur, but startups offer young talent the chance to become part of the entrepreneurial process, helping grow the enterprise and being part of the strategic decision making process from early on. Startups offer creative freedom and a dynamic, high-energy environment.”

With the help of the Microsoft 4Afrika grant awarded in February this year, Gamsole has gone from strength to strength and with the additional five designers will have 12 employees by the end of the year with the view to adding more coders in 2015. Abiola is also exploring alternative opportunities for monetisation with advertising opportunities for brands that want to reach a young, tech-savvy audience.

“Prior to the grant we had engaged several investors, but couldn’t agree on the terms,” says Abiola. The 4Afrika grant meant we didn’t have to give up any equity and we were provided not only monetary, but technical support.”

Illustrators can enter the competition here and share entries with their friends who can vote. Submissions close on the 23rd November, and the winners are up to Gamsole’s discretion.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:22am On Nov 28, 2015
modath:

Mi o ni one iota of idea about programming, coding etc,

Amazon just commenced shipping but you'd order something worth 50$ & tell you shipping is 70$ cheesy

Mi o lo si ibi kankan.. cheesy,
Eko ni ati fe lo ki awon ana mi, ki won le ri omo wa kekere......

lmaooooo @ the bolded grin grin grin grin. Get their membership to get free shipping.

That's good. Mo need obirin ni ori tiredi yi lol....

Bekiafu in Eko o....that state get as e be tongue
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 7:26am On Nov 28, 2015
IlekeHD:

lmaooooo @ the bolded grin grin grin grin. Get their membership to get free shipping.

Emi gan omo igboro ni ori tarmac ! wink

No one can scare me away from here, baba baba won o too be, won ni fe fi ata gigun se mac powder.. tongue

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:28am On Nov 28, 2015
modath:

Emi gan omo igboro ni ori tarmac ! wink

No one can scare me away from here, baba baba won o too be, won ni fe fi ata gigun se mac powder.. tongue

lmaoooooo this is pure evil grin grin grin

I can just imagine adding pepper to someone's foundation as a revenge method.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ilaje44(m): 7:44am On Nov 28, 2015
IFELEKE:

Yes it does, faint though, the ilajes have more in common with the itsekiris and of course, they are Yoruba, they migrated from Ile Ife to the coastline of the present day Ondo State-according to oral and written history.
Okun O!

We have much more in common with the Ikales and Apois.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 7:55am On Nov 28, 2015
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
What is wrong with people of Ijebu-Igbo ? They'v been having a kingship dispute for the past +20years. They'v had no King ever since.

Ijebus are troublemakers by nature.
Read the screenshots above to see how they held the entire Yorubaland hostage to trade and free access to coastal waters.

Na eweso o eweso o dem go dey talk and small small they have circumscribed you with palava. On top of that you must pay them a fee if you want to get out of the trouble they got.you into.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 8:05am On Nov 28, 2015
CabbieAC:

Hmmmmmn Onreflection should know more about this

Nduchuks you wan help us?

Yes, it is true that I followed the national conference with great interest.

Yoruba got 80% of its demands at confab – Afenifere

Pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere, says the Yoruba nation is satisfied with the outcome of the just concluded National Conference, saying it got about 80 per cent of its demands.

The spokesperson for Afenifere, Mr. Yinka Odumakin, told our correspondent on Thursday, that the major demand of the South-West that was not met was regionalism, adding that if implemented, the conference report could help move Nigeria in the right direction.

He said, “We are 80 per cent satisfied with the outcome of the National Conference. You cannot go into any negotiation in a multi-ethnic country like Nigeria, and hope to come back with 100 per cent. Of all the items we took to the conference, perhaps the only one we could not get was regionalism.

“That was conceded for the sake of the minorities who said going back to regionalism will take them back to servitude. What they wanted was for their own autonomy to be guaranteed through states. We got the other things that we wanted. We got state police; we got states to have their own constitution; we got the immunity clause removed.

“We got more resources to the states from the federal. We delisted local government areas from the constitution and made it state affairs. We removed some items like mines from the exclusive list to the concurrent list. These are the ingredients of true federal agenda that Yoruba wants for Nigeria. By and large, we got 80 per cent of our demands.”

Odumakin added that in place of regionalism, the South-West also got the right of states to come together and have zonal commissions, to pursue common interests among them, and we got states to have their constitutions.

The Afenifere spokesperson said they are optimistic that the Federal Government would implement the outcome of the conference as the President promised.

When asked if he had confidence that the report of the conference would be implemented, he said, “People said they didn’t believe that the President could conduct the conference. Now that it has been successfully conducted, I want to be on the side of those who have hope that the Jonathan administration would implement the outcome of the conference.”

He advised the President to ensure that the report was fully implemented as a legacy of his administration.

Source: Punch Newspaper
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 28, 2015

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 8:19am On Nov 28, 2015
Whathaveidone:
Smh. I can't even say I dislike someone.

Mynd44 you can lengthen the ban.Na una sure pass wink

You think I have time to be sending multiple mails to you?

Ban this one too for like 30 years grin

Odabo

odabo to where?

Oga, reverse that keke napep and park very well next to modath.

Oya, what were you banned for?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 8:36am On Nov 28, 2015
IlekeHD:
[size=18pt]He [Afenifere] said, "We are 80 per cent satisfied with the outcome of the National Conference. You cannot go into any negotiation in a multi-ethnic country like Nigeria, and hope to come back with 100 per cent. Of all the items we took to the conference, perhaps the only one we could not get was regionalism".
[/size]

Interesting....... would like to know which regions declined regionialism....buch of leeches and tse-tse flies.

The answer comes easy IlekeHD. Northern hawks led the campaign against regionalism.
By the way, I did post excerpts of the document put together by Yoruba delegates; before NL experienced loss of data.

Afenifere Threatens Secession

"As the National Conference enters its plenary session Monday, the Afenifere has demanded for a regional autonomy to be granted the Yoruba in the Southwest or the Yoruba will secede from Nigeria.

The Yoruba group at a news conference to unveil the Publication of “Regional Autonomy or Nothing” at the Gani Fawehinmi Park, Ojota in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria Monday said it was displeased that many of its demands at the conference had been thrown away as the Northern group had ganged up to defeat autonomy for the regions.

Speaking at the news conference on Monday, General Secretary, Afenifere Renewal Group, ARG, Ayo Afolabi, said as the nation was going through trying period, one would have expected that “we all should seize any opportunity to build consensus and reclaim the country from wrong-footed ideas and practices that brought Nigeria to this sorry state where it is difficult to imagine a better future.

“We are therefore baffled at the take-it-or-Ieave-it attitude of delegates from other ethnic nationalities, particularly the Northern delegates who circulated a document full of fallacies few weeks ago. Those fallacies have now been exposed by the facts and figures contained in the publication we are unveiling today.”

Afolabi said it was inconceivable that northern leaders were the ones leading the campaign against devolution of power and restructuring of government, saying that if any region needed a stronger federating unit with greater capacity to provide education, health, security, wealth creation and other social amenities, it was the North where strong links exist between the level of poverty and conscription of innocent youths into extremist tendencies.

“It appears Northern leaders are not concerned, and indeed have no plan for the teeming youth from the region, as long as they are able to continue clinging to their hold on power. However, we are never in doubt that regionalism is the most viable instrument for a stronger and united Nigeria.”

He stated that the Yoruba people demanded a regional government with its own constitution and unfettered political and fiscal autonomy, except on issues it agreed to cede to the federal government, adding that the South West Region must include all Yoruba people outside the imposed artificial boundaries in Edo, Delta, Kogi and Kwara States.

Afolabi said the Yoruba people demanded a negotiated legislative exclusive, concurrent and residual list as well as a unicameral legislature at the centre as details of the Regional legislature shall be clearly set out in the constitution.
“We demand a parliamentary form of government at the centre and the right to self determination on and up to the right to secede. We demand a just and equitable taxation system that will treat the federating units with equality and better coordination at the federal level in order to eliminate the current rentier syndrome.

“We demand Fiscal Federalism and Resource Control: a system whereby a substantial part of the proceeds accruable from every federating unit will be retained and an agreed percentage contributed to the centre by the federating units for the responsibility of the Federal Government and the establishment of Regional Police,” he said.

Afenifere also demanded a new people‘s constitution, saying that the resolutions and conclusions of the 2014 National Conference shall lead to an autonomous Constitution, that is a home-grown and all inclusive draft that shall be submitted to the Nigerian electorate voting in a Referendum
The group further demanded a special status for Lagos as the economic nerve centre of Nigeria and the West African sub-Region.

“We are not enforcing our demands on others. They are free to explore whatever suits them while we should be free to organise our governance the way it suits us. For us Yoruba people, we demand Regional Autonomy for the South West Region within a united Nigeria. Yoruba people will effectively communicate to all other ethnic nationalities an understanding of the aims and objectives of the Yoruba people,” Afolabi added."

Source: PM News

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 8:37am On Nov 28, 2015
OnReflection:

Yes, it is true that I followed the national conference with great interest.

Source: Punch Newspaper
Yorubas got NOTHING out of the last Confab. Odumakin is just trying to sound politically correct. We know that the Confab itself was more or less like a campaign tool for Jonathan's re-election bid. After Odumakin, Gani Adams and some Yoruba delegates were 'dollarized' at the Confab, they all became PDP's exponent in the south west.

Some Yoruba delegate were demanding for special status(only God knows what that means), some were arguing for the creation of additional states. They never reached a consensus. The Lamido of Adamawa was the only one who was bold enough to demand that Nigeria grant his domain the permission to go join their Adamawa kinsfolk in Cameroon. Yoruba delegates had no wherewithal to make such extreme suggestion. Chief Bisi Adegbuyi, a delegate from Ogun state was one of the few who fervently and vehemently made a case for regionalsim in the South West

All in all, the last Confab was a waste of time and resources. It was everything far from a genuine, legitimate and constitutionally backed national dialogue. It was a wasteful Jamboree which served as an avenue for jonathan to bribe and get the support of some 'regional elder state men'
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 8:40am On Nov 28, 2015
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
Yorubas got NOTHING out of the last Confab. Odumakin is just trying to sound politically correct. We know that the Confab itself was more or less like a campaign tool for Jonathan's re-election bid. After Odumakin, Gani Adams and some Yoruba delegates were 'dollarized' at the Confab, they all became PDP's exponent in the south west.

Some Yoruba delegate were demanding for special status(only God knows what that means), some were arguing for the creation of additional states. They never reached a consensus. The Lamido of Adamawa was the only one who was bold enough to demand that Nigeria grant his domain the permission to go join their Adamawa kinsfolk in Cameroon. Yoruba delegates had no wherewithal to make such extreme suggestion. Chief Bisi Adegbuyi, a delegate from Ogun state was one of the few who fervently and vehemently made a case for regionalsim in the South West

All in all, the last Confab was a waste of time and resources. It was everything far from a genuine , legitimate and constitutionally backed national dialogue. It was a wasteful Jamboree which served as an avenue for jonathan to bribe and get the support of some 'regional elder state men'

I am afraid I beg to disagree. See my earlier post...

Katsumoto:
OnReflection

Thanks for that. It would appear that the groundwork has been done already. All that remains is for the appropriate reps/senators to politic to bring this to actualization in their respective states.

Do the following resolutions not speak to our yearning for regionalism?

5.12 POLITICAL RESTRUCTURING AND FORMS OF GOVERNMENT

1. FEDERALISM
Conference agreed that Federalism denotes a political arrangement in which a country is made up of component parts otherwise called Federating Units. Thus in a Federation, political powers are constitutionally shared between the central government and the federating units. These powers basically, represent the functions of each tier of the federation.

Conference also noted the inherent advantages of a federal system of government in a heterogenous society such as ours. These
include:

- the sustenance of unity in diversity;
- expanded opportunities for the various peoples, including minority groups, to participate in the governance of the country; thus minimizing the fears of domination and/or marginalization among minority groups. It also and promotes broad-based development

Consequently, Conference unanimously resolved as follows:

1. Nigeria shall retain a Federal system of Government;
2. The core elements of the Federation shall be as follows:
i. A Federal (Central) Government with States as the federating units; and
ii. Without prejudice to States constituting the federating units, States that wish to merge may do so in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

Provided that:
(a) A two-thirds majority of all members in each of the Houses of Assembly of each of the States, in which such merger is proposed,
support by resolution, the merger;
(b) a Referendum is conducted in each of the States proposing to merge with 75% of the eligible voters in each of those States approving the
merger;
(c) the National Assembly, by resolution passed by a simple majority of membership, approves of the merger; and
(d) States that decide to merge shall also reserve the right to demerge following the same procedure and processes for merger.

2. REGIONALISM
At independence in 1960, Nigeria had three regions and by 1964 had added a fourth region. All four were autonomous but subordinated
only to the Federal Constitution. Then came the military in 1966 when aspects of the Federal Constitution were suspended leading to the
creation of 12 states, (six in the north and six in the south) in answer to political exigencies including the protection of minority rights;

More states were created to satisfy the yearnings of various ethnic nationalities which fear domination by some others. Nigeria now has 36 States plus the Federal Capital Territory. In spite of this subsisting arrangement, there continues to be demands for the creation
of more States.

After extensive consideration of Regionalism/Zones, Conference decided as follows:
(i) The States shall be the federating units; and
(ii)Any group of States may create a self-funding Zonal Commission to promote economic development, good governance, equity, peace and security in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

So why are all Yoruba chieftains in the current government oblivious to this document?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 8:41am On Nov 28, 2015
Kats,

I have been unable to locate the submissions made by our kindred from Kogi. At any rate, these were superseded by the conference resolutions copied in below.

5.10.2 INTERNAL BOUNDARIES
1. There is need for the Federal Government to embark on full scale sensitization program to address the challenges faced on the resolution of internal boundary disputes. Lack of political will on the part of some State Governments to support the implementation of the agreed boundary resolutions has hindered the success of the process;

2. Traditional institutions have key role to play in ensuring peaceful coexistence between border dwellers. They command respect and at such must be involved in the facilitation of the peace process;

3. On the issue of resource control, sole claims of resources that straddle interstate boundaries by one community or State have also created problems in the management of boundaries in Nigeria. In this regard it is hereby recommended that joint exploitation of cross-border resources be pursued;

4. A policy for equitable sharing of straddling resources between affected States and Local Government Areas, and Communities should be evolved and applied;

5. National Boundary Commission being an agency of the Federal Government charged with the responsibility of defining and determining the limits of the boundary should be strengthened and adequately funded to enable it discharge its responsibilities effectively and timely;

6. The National Boundary Commission’s mandate should be broadened to include recommendations on boundary adjustments where necessary and be given powers to implement its decisions, working in collaboration with the relevant authorities of States of the Federation; and

7. The Federal Government should ensure that approved boundaries are enforced.

5.10.3 ADJUSTMENT OF INTERNAL BOUNDARIES
1. Conference agreed that all stringent conditions should be removed from the Constitution so as to give effective implementation to the result of settlement of disputes over boundaries, and in response to credible application by communities for boundary adjustment;

2. In particular, Conference agreed that Section 8(2) of the Constitution should be expunged and replaced with the following provisions;

3. The boundary of any existing State(s) and Local Governments and shall be adjusted by the National Boundary Commission, which shall act upon receiving an application from the area requesting boundary adjustment, provided that:
i. the application is supported by relevant stakeholders from/representing the communities in the area demanding;
ii. the area concerned is geographically contiguous with the state to which the area will be adjusted;
iii. The proposal for adjustment is approved by a simple majority in a plebiscite conducted for residents of communities situated in
the area to be adjusted, provided that the receiving state agrees to accommodate the adjustment; and
iv. A National Boundary Tribunal should be established to adjudicate on boundary disputes.

5.10.4 In concluding its deliberations on Land Tenure Matters and National Boundaries, Conference observed that:
i. proper land management is essential for guaranteeing citizens’ and communities’ access to shelter, employment and for achieving food security
and other social conditions necessary for decent living. At the same time, land resources should constitute an important source of revenues for States of the Federation and other sub-national public authorities. Improvement of public revenues could enhance our common drive towards socio-economic development, including the provision of enabling public infrastructures. However, the achievement of these goals is hampered by the existing land management framework, which is governed by the Land Use (Decree) Act. The Act, which contains inconsistencies, has not been properly implemented. Moreover, the insertion of the Act in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has made its amendment impossible;

ii. Issues of proper delineation and delimitation of internal and external boundaries are important. The elimination of extra-rigid stipulations for
adjustment of internal boundaries, which have been drawn following colonial era frames, could have profound implications for security and the attainment of developmental objectives and social justice for individuals and communities, and the Nigerian nation at large; and

iii. While there is a general consensus in Nigeria on the imperative of reforming the current weak and contradictory land and boundary governance
frameworks, access to land is an issue of rights, and that land administration should recognise the importance of strengthening the federating States as building blocks of a united Nigeria.

Whatever we think of Jonathan's hurriedly assembled conference, it actually did provide a framework for regionalism-lite.
Why aren't we pressuring the party at the centre to follow through with those recommendations, as advised by Afenifere? sad

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 8:42am On Nov 28, 2015
IlekeHD:

Which state is you telling her bekiaful
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 9:00am On Nov 28, 2015
OnReflection:

I am afraid I beg to disagree. See my earlier post...

Do the following resolutions not speak to our yearning for regionalism?

So why are all Yoruba chieftains in the current government oblivious to this document?
Egbon mi
If i am not mistaken, that document is/was known as the YORUBA AGENDA. It was the outcome and consensus reached at the meeting held at Sir Olaniwun Ajayi's house in Isara-Remo Ogun state before the commencement of the Confb itself. All the Yoruba delegate agreed to push for regionalsim but when they got to the conference they started singing different tunes.

A Yoruba delegate, Olasupo Sasore, argued against regionalism, he said they wanted speacial status in his own state and not regionalism. Some Yoruba delegates under the umbrella of MURIC argued that the Yoruba Agenda was anti-Moslem and that it favoured Yoruba christians alone.

Bros, if you really followed the Confab, you would know that the peformance of south west delegates was utterly disgraceful and embarracing

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 9:02am On Nov 28, 2015
REGIONAL AUTONOMY…OR NOTHING!

Note: The complete document spans 90 pages.

1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by angiography(m): 9:18am On Nov 28, 2015
OnReflection:
Kats,

I have been unable to locate the submissions made by our kindred from Kogi. At any rate, these were superseded by the conference resolutions copied in below.

Whatever we think of Jonathan's hurriedly assembled conference, it actually did provide a framework for regionalism-lite.
Why aren't we pressuring the party at the centre to follow through with those recommendations, as advised by Afenifere? sad
Sir, don't you think we partnering with the Ndigbos can give us the necessary strength in number needed to make this sail through??

I beg to submit that Afenifere didn't get anything tangible in the national conference (I agree with ffkfuckedbianca)....

But I saw the ohanaeze report as a very clear and cogent standpoint....

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 9:23am On Nov 28, 2015
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
Egbon mi
If i am not mistaken, that document is/was known as the YORUBA AGENDA. It was the outcome and consensus reached at the meeting held at Sir Olaniwun Ajayi's house in Isara-Remo Ogun state before the commencement of the Confb itself. All the Yoruba delegate agreed to push for regionalsim but when they got to the conference they started singing different tunes.

A Yoruba delegate, Olasupo Sasore, argued against regionalism, he said they wanted speacial status in his own state and not regionalism. Some Yoruba delegates under the umbrella of MURIC argued that the Yoruba Agenda was anti-Moslem and that it favoured Yoruba christians alone.

Bros, if you really followed the Confab, you would know that the peformance of south west delegates was utterly disgraceful and embarracing

Ogagun FFKfuckedBIANCA cool,

I did follow the conference through its entire duration.
Yes, it is true that the Lagosian delegates threw a curveball of their own.
Yes, it is true that the MURIC folks put a stake in the ground around some indeterminate Islamic agenda.
Yes, it is true that adherents of Yoruba Traditional Religion (YTR) threatened fire and brimstone at their exclusion - and rightly so, I might add.

But it was a conference after all... Tempers were expected to bubble to the surface. Refuseniks were to be accommodated from even our own ranks.

Come on now; don't tell me you did not see the fisticuffs which characterised the South-South summit?
Aside from the North which travelled mobb deep with a one-shop agenda, no other geographical zone attended the conference without home-grown detractors, fifth columnists, jesters,...etc.

I will tell what saddens me now, though: our insouciance, inaction, and inertia.
For reasons that I find pretty hard to fathom, a lot of us appear to have gone to sleep again - content that our interest is somehow protected because Yoruba politicians are once again visible at the centre. And expectedly, those who are most guilty of this charge are APC affiliates on NL and elsewhere. sad

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 9:30am On Nov 28, 2015
angiography:

Sir, don't you think we partnering with the Ndigbos can give us the necessary strength in number needed to make this sail through??

I beg to submit that Afenifere didn't get anything tangible in the national conference (I agree with ffkfuckedbianca)....

But I saw the ohanaeze report as a very clear and cogent standpoint....

I harbour the same concern too, as you would note from my subsequent post.

Katsumoto:

Excellent question

Simple answer - Because Yoruba chieftains can't put the Yoruba interests above their selfish interests.

Merging of states would solve this issue of bloated civil services.
Why can't Ogun merge Lagos, Oyo with Osun, and Ondo with Ekiti?

Have three big states with more autonomous LGs for outreach to citizens?

Like you, I believe this is the way to go.
But wait a minute...I think we may have to leave Lagos out of the equation to begin with. The combo of Lagos-based politicians who fear being subsumed and E-siders that only pay lip service to regionalism, are likely to rail against any attempt to merge with Ogun state.

(b) a Referendum is conducted in each of the States proposing to merge with 75% of the eligible voters in each of those States approving the merger;

Nah, we need to demonstrate the benefits of a merger with our interior states first - lest we end up with some semblance of the much derided Sene-Gambia union.

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.