Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,035 members, 7,825,256 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... (46674 Views)

4 Steps To Getting An Amazing Job As A Graduate With 3rd Class Or Pass Grade / Man Who Graduated With First Class From UK University Cries Out For Job. Photos / Are You A Graduate With Second Class Or Hnd Ceriificate...here Is My Mail.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by ril19(m): 8:10am On Oct 25, 2015
But First Class n Two-1 Is Not Meant For All Persons Naa. Afterall All Fingers Aren't Equal.

2 Likes

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by spanishkid(m): 8:13am On Oct 25, 2015
What's so special about a degree? The problem with most graduates there days is that they rely on their Bsc. A Bsc is like a primary six result today cos virtually anyone can get it. Try taking some professional courses to supplement your degree or go for a Master's degree if you have the means. It's not the end of the world.

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Tonydoo: 8:15am On Oct 25, 2015
Here's my 2 cents.

Learn a skill bro and develop yourself up to the point that you are so good at it. These days, only creative jobs can suffice for those with lower grades than 2:1. Learn, unlearn and re learn.

When you are very skillful, recruiters will look beyond the grade, all their minds will be cast on is: "The guy is good, he can give us what we want". But when all you have to offfer is no different from what they can see on your CV, then there is a lot more work to be done.

For a start, you can pick up Graphics Design, Web Development, Photography or Animation. This thing works. Just don't deter. Be determined to learn a skill in 2 months or 3. And when you hit up that interview the next time, they gotta be in hot pepper.

Written by Multi Faceted Nigerian Designer/Photographer: Tonydoo Visuals.
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by SirAlfred(m): 8:17am On Oct 25, 2015
Are you telling the house that you couldn't secure 3.5 and above after spending 4 or 5 years at the university? What were you doing in school then? Actually, it is hard today to get job with such result and it does not mean that you will not get. The reason why it will be hard is because of too many graduates having 2:1 in the system. All I can say or tell you is to press forward, then you will get one. Another thing you can do is to have an edge over those that came out with 2:1 by obtaining your M.Sc. and other certifications like PMP, NIM, ISPON and surely, you will get there. This is my simple suggestion.

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 25, 2015
forget it. just try and be an entrepreneur.

it might be hard at first shalll
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Kingspin(m): 8:18am On Oct 25, 2015
Thats why student buys certificate more these days.
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by j4sure(m): 8:20am On Oct 25, 2015
forget the cert and get a skill that is where d money is jare
Tbliss12:
Its so pathetic and demoralizing that we leave in a country where certificate is the most sort after by our indigenous firms and even foreign firms. I sat down after going through NYSC and My parents are already looking at me in 3D as regards what's next.

I submitted my spiral bind C.V but the Secretary of that firm quickly glanced through my details but was disappointed to see 2:2 (3.32 CGPA) which stated in it and told me straight-up that I shouldn't be expecting a call!! I was pissed off, do u mean 3.32 CGPA is a poor result? I just went out and up till now after 3month no call from them.

The question is where are we going in this country? Two(2) factors all companies display while placing recruitment adverts; Your Age (24yrs nd below) and supposed good grade (1st class or 2:1). Now tell me are graduates with 2:2 really that lazy while in school? The Answer is simply 'NO' so many factors are really involved, I've seen a brilliant guy in school who felt sick on the day of his set last papers which sucked his GP heavily.

If you've got your 1st class or 2:1 and you are gainfully employed in a cool company with good pay lucky you and I wish you all the best, for those still looking out for a good job the lord shall answer "OUR" prayers but doing something with your saved Allawee is not a bad idea anyway!!

Happy Weekend!!

Tbliss12

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 25, 2015
Jagabanthelion:
Enough of this 2.2 rubbish. If uve got a 2.2 and u are not confident enough of yourself,then go into your room,lock yourself up and cry at least 5hours per day till u regain your confidence. A firm denied u an opportunity because of your grade,dat now means everybody with d same grade shd join u and cry? Do u know how many 2.2s I know are gainfully employed and doing well,driving jeeps,without using connections to get the job? I also know many 2.1s tired of staying at home jobless. I know some big companies who only ask for your certificate after handing u their offer letter. They just document it. Notore Petrochemicals is an example. I will advise u to takeout the 2.2grade from your CV,so that u can bypass those coys who disqualify people at d sight of 2.2. Just put "Second class honours" its enough. If u are called for test,go there n prove your mettle. Apart frm Shell,Chevron,(d very top players),bakerhughes,halliburton etc and some Dragnet organised tests that insist on 2.1,most coys accept 2.2,provided u do well in their tests n interviews. Start small,get d experience n apply for any experienced position with your 2.2,n get to see yourself at d top. Its just time that distinguishes grades. Experienced jobs don't ask for 2.1 or 2.2,research it yourself. Get over d stigma u have placed on yourself and get busy. Apply for all jobs,in your field and let the company decide if u are eligible or not. Dnt disqualify yourself by yourself.Its not your duty,but that of the company. Peace.

God bless you.
I got my 1st job when I was serving
Have worked in several organizations
I Have never been asked what class of degree I graduated with
pls

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Joeace3000(m): 8:22am On Oct 25, 2015
Nigerians!!!! Stop chasing jobs and create jobs for yourself, friends and families....Stop running after these people.

If you are a student, young school leaver searching for jobs, or you are tired of switching jobs or have no skill at all and want to develop skills that can fetch you money today, then visit my my Nairaland fiverr free training thread where you can come in to learn how to join fiverr and offer 5 Hot, In-demand Services as well as developing the skills needed not only to make money monthly working online on fiverr but offline as a workplace skill you can start a business with or use to boost your resume and job chances. Ain't that cool?

The thread is a well explained step by step guide along with images to help you grasp what you need to do. to help you get started today

There are very easy ways of making it through the internet, you just have to find the safest and surest way, and this one beckons. follow me now...

The Nairaland Fiverr Free Training Thread
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by baba11(m): 8:22am On Oct 25, 2015
Jagabanthelion:
Enough of this 2.2 rubbish. If uve got a 2.2 and u are not confident enough of yourself,then go into your room,lock yourself up and cry at least 5hours per day till u regain your confidence. A firm denied u an opportunity because of your grade,dat now means everybody with d same grade shd join u and cry? Do u know how many 2.2s I know are gainfully employed and doing well,driving jeeps,without using connections to get the job? I also know many 2.1s tired of staying at home jobless. I know some big companies who only ask for your certificate after handing u their offer letter. They just document it. Notore Petrochemicals is an example. I will advise u to takeout the 2.2grade from your CV,so that u can bypass those coys who disqualify people at d sight of 2.2. Just put "Second class honours" its enough. If u are called for test,go there n prove your mettle. Apart frm Shell,Chevron,(d very top players),bakerhughes,halliburton etc and some Dragnet organised tests that insist on 2.1,most coys accept 2.2,provided u do well in their tests n interviews. Start small,get d experience n apply for any experienced position with your 2.2,n get to see yourself at d top. Its just time that distinguishes grades. Experienced jobs don't ask for 2.1 or 2.2,research it yourself. Get over d stigma u have placed on yourself and get busy. Apply for all jobs,in your field and let the company decide if u are eligible or not. Dnt disqualify yourself by yourself.Its not your duty,but that of the company. Peace.
I love this!

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Setaje(f): 8:23am On Oct 25, 2015
The first person to get a job almost immediately in my class finished wiv 3rd class. I can't forget how she cried when we were about finishing. She felt like she was a failure. After nysc. She got a very good job in a very big coy. The thing is she wasn't a brilliant student but she was very intelligent. Brilliant students know everything about the course they read. Intelligent students are very vast in knowledge. Most times u ask a 1st class or 2'1 students about something else and they have no idea. But ask them anything about that very course and u will see how brilliant they are. The girl is very confident, she has a lot of knowledge about things but she couldn't just do well in Psychology.

The girl has risen to head HR in the company. Saw her in the papers one time. I knew right there, to ensure equity, put everybody in a level playing ground when doing recruitment and u will be surprised how well 2'2 and 3rd class will perform. But it is not the company's fault. The main issue is population explosion. How can they cope when they want to take 10 people and more than one million will apply. The best way is to put a clause.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by drey076(m): 8:25am On Oct 25, 2015
The department I finished from in Obafemi Awolowo University, we are about 250. No first class, 20 had 2:1, the rest are other grades. So what is the hope of other grade?
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by duality(m): 8:28am On Oct 25, 2015
go to all our campuses and see people buying marks coz of 2-1 and 1-1; both in cash and kind.

would have graduated with a 4.somthing if i were an undergraduate now. I thank God all that didn't matter . I'm better placed many after.
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by okoomoge2(m): 8:30am On Oct 25, 2015
Having a first class or 2:1 does not really mean you will be a high flier in your chosen
career.

Intelligence is completely different from brilliance. Like the op said a lot of factors
contributes to some student finishing with 3.3/3.49. This does not mean the student(s) are not intelligent.

What I have found out is that the HR of most companies use 2:1/1st Class as a first pass filter to reduce applications.

Also, going for masters immediately after graduating from University does not really mean you will add a lot of value to your employer when employed. Few years of experience ( early career) make you know your strength and weakness, then you tailor as suit! Masters after understanding the big picture of your career and industry.

Shell, Exxon, Halliburton, Baker Hughes of the old, have good graduate development programmes to mold and sharpen graduate to the brand they want.

Nigerian is heading for disaster if something is not done to stop this anomaly of 2:1/first class. Student cram / pay for 2:1 at higher institution. Few first class are very intelligent most have academic brillance.

Your ability to think on your feet;
Your ability to think outside of the box;
Your courage to champion untested theory;
Your ability to be a game changer;
You ability to think and act as the the chief engineer even as a young graduate; will go a long to determine how far you will go with your career! Degrees will only get you in the door but staying there and being visible requires a lot more !!!

Ciao

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by maryhaam(f): 8:30am On Oct 25, 2015
FriedPlantain:
[b]I hate when 2.2 and third class graduates come online and b1tch-cry every damn time, reading the OP 's post that reeks of low self-worth even annoys me more.

A lot of second class lower and third class graduates are getting good jobs daily in this country, if they all come online complaining and heaping blames on the companies that discriminated against them because of their grade, they won't be where they are right now.

What you need to do now is to work on your CV, remove your CGPA from that CV and remove the "second class lower" you have their as well. If your CGPA is not up to 4.00, it is not advisable to have it on CV and except you are applying for a government job, use "Second class (honours) instead of 'second class lower"

I always try as much as possible to advise third class and 2:2 graduates to boost their chance of securing a job by going for professional courses and if possible getting necessary internship experience.

I' m also a 2:2 graduate but rather than letting my average grade weigh me down, I registered for ICAN during my service year. Today, I'm a chartered accountant, gainfully employed and earning relatively good pay.

Friedplantain
[/b]
waoh,friedplantain is serious for the first time*runz off*

4 Likes

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by nkemjacob2(m): 8:32am On Oct 25, 2015
Make una go find businss do, this firm sabi frustrate people. Na because say job no dey dem dey behave like that..... If not them for they BEG people make dem come work
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Jarus(m): 8:36am On Oct 25, 2015
Tbliss12:
Its so pathetic and demoralizing that we leave in a country where certificate is the most sort after by our indigenous firms and even foreign firms. I sat down after going through NYSC and My parents are already looking at me in 3D as regards what's next.

I submitted my spiral bind C.V but the Secretary of that firm quickly glanced through my details but was disappointed to see 2:2 (3.32 CGPA) which stated in it and told me straight-up that I shouldn't be expecting a call!! I was pissed off, do u mean 3.32 CGPA is a poor result? I just went out and up till now after 3month no call from them.

The question is where are we going in this country? Two(2) factors all companies display while placing recruitment adverts; Your Age (24yrs nd below) and supposed good grade (1st class or 2:1). Now tell me are graduates with 2:2 really that lazy while in school? The Answer is simply 'NO' so many factors are really involved, I've seen a brilliant guy in school who felt sick on the day of his set last papers which sucked his GP heavily.

If you've got your 1st class or 2:1 and you are gainfully employed in a cool company with good pay lucky you and I wish you all the best, for those still looking out for a good job the lord shall answer "OUR" prayers but doing something with your saved Allawee is not a bad idea anyway!!

Happy Weekend!!

Tbliss12

I'm worried about the bolded.

9 Likes

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Teefaj: 8:41am On Oct 25, 2015
"...the country we LEAVE in... '' now I see why u had a 2.2. A graduate that can't differentiate leave and live...
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by ShakurM(m): 8:42am On Oct 25, 2015
librangyps:
NEVER include your cgpa in your cv except u made first class or 2.1 (4.0 and above)
Why not?
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 25, 2015
Learn a skill, Gain experience in that same line an watch your bank account grow! since 2009 that I started working officially, none of the companies I worked for ever asked for my B sc. certificate, my CV, confidence and being articulate has always been enough for them.
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by FrenchyL(m): 8:44am On Oct 25, 2015
Tbliss12:

Happy Weekend!!

Tbliss12

I have a 3rd class but i have only worked for Multinationals since my undergraduate days. The summary of the matter is this: It is not about having a First class or 2:1, it is about knowing that your life is not dependent on some piece of paper but on the Grace of God. I am a witness and i want you to know that it can be your case also. I never even allow the class of my certificate bother me. I only focus in the direction i want my life to go and i do not waver.

I wish you the best in your future quest.
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 25, 2015
Rubbish!! a friend of mine graduated with a third-class and yet he's working with a multi national IT firm, no connections no nothing only luck, and coupled that he's brilliant..
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 25, 2015
FrenchyL:

I have a 3rd class but i have only worked for Multinationals since my undergraduate days. The summary of the matter is this: It is not about having a First class or 2:1, it is about knowing that your life is not dependent on some piece of paper but on the Grace of God. I am a witness and i want you to know that it can be your case also. I never even allow the class of my certificate bother me. I only focus in the direction i want my life to go and i do not waver.

I wish you the best in your future quest.
God bless you my bros, its only here in Nigeria that I see people killing themselves over a piece of paper, rather than believing in what the can do. It's so annoying

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by 12month: 8:49am On Oct 25, 2015
Age also a determinant factor, nysc reduced my age by 1, I no even follow dem drag am at all
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 25, 2015
Jarus:

I'm worried about the bolded.
I'm more worried about the word in bold. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by lamash: 8:54am On Oct 25, 2015
FriedPlantain:
[b]I hate when 2.2 and third class graduates come online and b1tch-cry every damn time, reading the OP 's post that reeks of low self-worth even annoys me more.

A lot of second class lower and third class graduates are getting good jobs daily in this country, if they all come online complaining and heaping blames on the companies that discriminated against them because of their grade, they won't be where they are right now.

What you need to do now is to work on your CV, remove your CGPA from that CV and remove the "second class lower" you have there as well. If your CGPA is not up to 4.00, it is not advisable to have it on CV and except you are applying for a government job, use "Second class (honours) instead of 'second class lower"

I always try as much as possible to advise third class and 2:2 graduates to boost their chance of securing a job by going for professional courses and if possible getting necessary internship experience.

I' m also a 2:2 graduate but rather than letting my average grade weigh me down, I registered for ICAN during my service year. Today, I'm a chartered accountant, gainfully employed and earning a relatively good pay.

Friedplantain
[/b]

Nice write up...
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 25, 2015
maryhaam:
waoh,friedplantain is serious for the first time*runz off*
Hian!...... but I'm always serious on this forum na. sad sad
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by witorwitoutyou(m): 8:56am On Oct 25, 2015
My own take on dis issue is

What will b,will b

No b by ur grade but God's grace

Grades is nt attached to success,all we need do is to make efforts,leave d crownin of ur effort to God,dts God's work

We tend to leave our own duty to God and Do God's duty i.e we fail to pray and b patient wit God wyle we run headlessly wout direction seekin success

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by godspeed: 8:59am On Oct 25, 2015
Tbliss12:

Happy Weekend!!

Tbliss12

Wail on dear! It always delight my soul when I see people like u complain now. Reality has finally hit you hard in the face.

I remember back in school days, you dare not be seen studying hard, people like you will subject such students to extreme ridicule that is hard to bear.

You label studious students all kinds of vile names like effico, prof, igi iwe e.t.c to the extent that u won't even want to be seen on the way to the library.

People like u always brag and console yourselves that grades don't matter but it's connections and who u know that will get u job, well u have one now.

Now that u have seen that reality is not as simple as y'all made it look, no doubts if u look back , you'll wish u get a second opportunity to do what's right.

This is also some kind of lesson to those in school now, help yourself by finishing among the best so that those you know will have an easy job helping u in the future.

For now, op and your ilk can continue wailing while u let the people u have mocked to scorn in the past enjoy the fruits of their labour and have the last laugh.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Tinyemeka(m): 9:00am On Oct 25, 2015
Tbliss12:

Happy Weekend!!

Tbliss12

Why is your CV spiral-bound? angry

Or you just wanted to act funny?

There are ao many companies that recruit B.Sc 2.2 graduates within the 27yrs age bracket. You just have to pass their tests and interviews.

Edit your CV. In the field for edu qualifications, BSc (Hons) <Name of Course>.

You are putting your CGPA there. Are you trying to tell them that you almost made 2.1? Be kiaful! angry

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Tinyemeka(m): 9:02am On Oct 25, 2015
godspeed:

I remember back in school days, you dare not be seen studying hard, people like you will subject such students to extreme ridicule that is hard to bare.

You label studious students all kinds of vile names like effico, prof, igi iwe e.t.c to the extent that u won't even want to be seen on the way to the library.

LOL. They used to call me Bukky. As in Bookie.

P.S. Quit hating O. Biko. It's bad for your arteries.

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by 0coded80: 9:02am On Oct 25, 2015
kunbit:

Institution matters to some companies o, some will tell you only federal universities e.g Access bank graduate trainee accepts only federal universities with exception of 3 state unis and 3 private unis
pls which 3state and private universities is that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers / Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified / Job Offer: Stanbic IBTC Bank 2021 Graduate Trainee Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.