Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,974 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

"I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War (33857 Views)

Satellite Images Of Mosul, Iraq In 2015 Vs 2017 / Chilcot Report: Iraq War Based On 'flawed Intelligence' / Chilcot Report: Tony Blair's Iraq War Case Not Justified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Idrismusty97(m): 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
daretodiffer:

Saddam Hussein was a monster. He invaded Kuwait, an Islamic country and also started war against Iran also an Islamic country. The man was power hungry and he discarded his religion because of his personal interest. How dare you try to turn this into West vs Islam?.

Assad is also a monster. Unless you have had any dealings with people from that part of the world, don't support tyranny because the perpetrators claim to be muslims. It was not in the West's place to interfere but both them are monsters. I am a Muslim and I know that they are monsters.

I dont care about Gaddafi and Putin undecided

* I doubt if you know anything about Assad sef undecided
You watch too much CNN. George bush, Netanayu are bigger monsters but of cause you don't expect CNN and western medias to tell you that. I am not a Muslim but the propaganda by the West is pretty obvious. And you should care more about Putin cause he has since conducted hundreds of strikes on strategic terrorist locations in Syria, but guess what your Western medias have to say about it? "Putin is bombing civilians"

5 Likes

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by sucre2(m): 7:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
bigdot1759:
search. Dis keywords on YouTube. "Hilary Clinton with al-qaeda" to know who found dem.
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by madridguy(m): 7:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
Your point please ?

olawooro:
your comment is impressive, but unfortunately, you spoil everything with the sentence ' as a muslim'. To average Nigerian ignorants religious bigots, whenever there is conflict between western nations and the middle east it is religious. Ignorance is not good!
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by babajero(m): 7:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
tbaba1234:

Really? The Iraq war is the one of worst disasters of recent times. The instability and chaos produced ISIS which BH follows now.The blood from that war still runs today.

Is the world safer today?

We certainly lived in a much more safer world before the Iraqi invasion... That was the fuel for terrorists groups.
If that iraq war did not take place, I don't think you will feel safe in that your comfort zone writing this.
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
Idrismusty97:
You watch too much CNN. George bush, Netanayu are bigger monsters but of cause

Have you ever picked a book on Middle East? Have you ever held a conversation with an Arab not to mention a lot of them? I know what you don't know. So stop jumping into blind conclusions else you will be commiting a sin, a very big one.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by madridguy(m): 7:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
Maybe you're kid when the whole sage is still very hot. Go back to your history and you will know that I am very sure with my view.

princeunugwa:

U made sense! But starting ur rather fine lines with "as Muslims we" has rubished ur entire point as sentimental, one sided and parochial. U could av wonderfully said "as humane ppl" as peace loving people "Must u bring religion to issues? Be properly guided next time and stick with issues
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by AkwaIbomrep1: 7:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
ARIZONA123:
If Tony Blair can apologise to the Iraqis. Why can't Gowon apologise to igbos for Nigeria to move on
we don't need gowon apology anymore after what he did to my dear state Akwa ibom.... RIP Major GEN. Philip Effiong second in command the Rep. Of Biafra 1970 we still love u sir!
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
tbaba1234:

Really? The Iraq war is the one of worst disasters of recent times. The instability and chaos produced ISIS which BH follows now.The blood from that war still runs today.

Is the world safer today?

We certainly lived in a much more safer world before the Iraqi invasion... That was the fuel for terrorists groups.

The Iraq war was necessary however it went on far too long and it should have been Iraq vs Arab states. Iraq could have wiped out Kuwait and Itan could have lost many Muslims because of Saddam Hussein's foolishness. Maybe we should start looking inwards instead of outwards and own up to our responsibilitiesundecided

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by olawooro: 7:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
madridguy:
Your point please ?

who tells you it was a religious war?
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by madridguy(m): 7:20pm On Oct 30, 2015
If not Putin and Chinese government that vowed to lock horn with the combination of Nato and US if they dare try to invade syria the way they did in. Iraq by now Asad name would have been written in the name of ex president. Evil people.

ManTiger:

GOD bless you for the bolded part. There was an interview Assad granted France 24 where he said he's fighting terrorist and special forces because the calibre of weaponry that was recovered was more than what a mere protesting group could have.

5 Likes

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by luwizz(m): 7:21pm On Oct 30, 2015
tbaba1234:
Tony Blair has finally said sorry for the Iraq War – and admitted he could be partly to blame for the rise of Islamic State.
The extraordinary confession by the former Prime Minister comes after 12 years in which he refused to apologise for the conflict.
Blair makes his dramatic ‘mea culpa’ during a TV interview about the ‘hell’ caused by his and George Bush’s decision to oust Saddam Hussein.

In the exchange, Blair repeatedly says sorry for his conduct and even refers to claims that the invasion was a war ‘crime’ – while denying he committed one.
Blair is asked bluntly in the CNN interview, to be broadcast today: ‘Was the Iraq War a mistake?’

He replies: ‘I apologise for the fact that the intelligence we received was wrong.
‘I also apologise for some of the mistakes in planning and, certainly, our mistake in our understanding of what would happen once you removed the regime.’
Challenged that the Iraq War was ‘the principal cause’ of the rise of Islamic State, he said: ‘I think there are elements of truth in that.

'Of course you can’t say those of us who removed Saddam in 2003 bear no responsibility for the situation in 2015.’
In the ‘trial by TV’, respected US political broadcaster Fareed Zakaria accuses him of being President Bush’s ‘poodle’ over the conflict. Blair’s confession comes a week after The Mail on Sunday published a bombshell White House memo revealing for the first time how Blair and Bush agreed a ‘deal in blood’ a year before the invasion.
A 2002 briefing note from US Secretary of State Colin Powell to the President showed Blair had secretly pledged to back the conflict – while telling MPs and British voters that he was seeking a diplomatic solution.

In his CNN interview, Blair candidly asks for forgiveness for his blunder in not realising ‘what would happen once you removed the regime’.
The admission makes a mockery of the statement in the Powell memo that Blair would ‘demonstrate [to Bush] that we have thought through “the day after” ’ – a reference to the consequences of invasion.
However, the bloody chaos in the region continues to this day. And in a separate development, former Labour Home Secretary David Blunkett has revealed that he challenged Blair before the war about avoiding chaos after Saddam’s downfall.

Lord Blunkett says Blair failed to give him such ‘reassurances’ – and instead placed blind faith in the two main ‘hawks’ in the US administration, Vice-President Dick Cheney and Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.
Lord Blunkett also vented his fury that Sir John Chilcot, who is leading the long-delayed inquiry into the Iraq War, had failed to ask him to give evidence.

Given my front-row seat at these events, I am mystified Chilcot has not asked me to provide either oral or written evidence,’ Lord Blunkett told The Mail on Sunday.
‘I would have thought that over the six years the inquiry has been going on, Sir John would have found the time to ask the then-Home Secretary what he knew.’
Blair’s confession about the Iraq War and the rise of IS is in stark contrast to his repeated refusal to shoulder the blame for the conflict, or its long term consequences. In 2004, he told MPs: ‘I will not apologise for the conflict. I believe it was right.’
He stuck to his hard line in 2007, saying: ‘I don’t think we should be apologising at all for what we are doing in Iraq.’

Remarkably, Blair himself predicted how the apology U-turn he finally makes today would be reported.
In his 2010 memoirs, he explained why he had so far refused to say ‘yes’ when asked if he was sorry, because he knew it would prompt damaging headlines.
‘Answer “Yes” and I knew the outcome: “BLAIR APOLOGISES FOR WAR”, “AT LAST HE SAYS SORRY”. I can’t say sorry in words.’
His apology is bound to prompt claims that he is trying to head off the scathing criticism of his handling of the Iraq War expected to be included in Chilcot’s findings.
All the key figures, including Blair and other senior Labour politicians, are understood to have been given notice of the broad thrust of Chilcot’s verdict on them, expected to be made public next year.
As a master of public relations and media manipulation, Blair may have calculated that since Chilcot is likely to accuse him of major errors of judgment, it is better for him to volunteer an apology now, rather than be forced to do so if, as seems certain, Chilcot’s damning assessment gives him little choice. The former Prime Minister’s decision to make his apology in the US, as opposed to the UK, is also significant.
Far from presenting his apology in a harsh critical light, CNN interviewer Zakaria, a personal friend of Blair, showers praise on him for being the only interviewee in the programme who ‘took responsibility for Iraq’ on camera.

Most of the others involved in the show, senior US political and military figures, blamed each other.
The Colin Powell memo – which this newspaper found among declassified US State Department documents while searching through a cache of Hillary Clinton’s recently released emails – was written in March 2002, a week before Mr Blair met Mr Bush for a summit at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.
In our report, which made headlines around the world, we revealed that Powell had said Blair ‘will be with us’ should the US take military action in Iraq and that the ‘UK will follow our lead’.
Blair would handle ‘public affairs lines’ for persuading people that Saddam posed a real threat – in fact, after the war, it was discovered Blair’s claims following the Crawford summit about Iraq’s ‘weapons of mass destruction’ were false.
Lord Blunkett told The Mail on Sunday yesterday how he challenged Blair during Cabinet meetings prior to the war about the level of post-conflict planning for Iraq.
As one of Blair’s most loyal Ministers, Lord Blunkett said he repeatedly sought reassurances that the US had a coherent plan to govern Iraq after the fall of Saddam.
He added: ‘I did not receive that reassurance. Tony was not able to say what was going to happen when combat operations were over. He just decided to trust Cheney and Rumsfeld.
‘With the benefit of hindsight, we now know that they had decided to embark on the complete de-Ba’athification of Saddam’s Iraq by dismantling the entire Government infrastructure.
‘This led to the disintegration of any form of functioning government, creating a complete power vacuum. Terrorists infiltrated Iraq and stirred discontent.

‘I am not seeking to scapegoat Tony Blair; we were all collectively to blame for deluding ourselves into believing that we had much greater sway over Washington.’ Lord Blunkett echoed calls for Chilcot to release an interim copy of his findings immediately or ‘risk his entire exercise being entirely discredited’.
Significantly, in the CNN show, host Zakaria gives his own apology, telling viewers that he regrets his own initial support for the war.
He says he changed his mind after watching the post-war turmoil unfold and witnessing the bloody rise of IS. Viewers may draw the conclusion that Blair came to the same decision for the same reason.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3287982/I-m-sorry-Blair-takes-blame-Iraq-War-admits-conflict-caused-rise-ISIS-astonishing-apology-TV-show.html#ixzz3pXFYoYYa
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
hope bush will apologise as well
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by babajero(m): 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2015
carnegiefan:
When will Gowon apologise for an unnecessary war that killed 3 million people for nothing?
The war was totally unnecessary because Gowon could have simply implemented Aburi. He failed and instead started the war.
Fastforward 45 years after, Biafra is issue still very much around.
So why did Gowon launch that war?

Don't forget to mention that fool and greedy awolowo, he was the main reason that war happened, you may not blame gowon too much because he was an illiterate from the north.
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by pamcode(m): 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2015
We humans sha. We do things without weighing the consequences
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by tantan: 7:23pm On Oct 30, 2015
And those poor citizens in iraq that rose to defend themselves were tagged TEERORIST by the US and UK and the UN(owned by them). ISLAM MUST TRIUMP.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Idrismusty97(m): 7:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
daretodiffer:

Have you ever picked a book on Middle East? Have you ever held a conversation with an Arab not to mention a lot of them? I know what you don't know. So stop jumping into blind conclusions else you will be commiting a sin, a very big one.
They are thousands of books about the Middle East? Which ones? Is it the pro Shi'as books or the Pro Sunnis? Is it the books in support of Assad or those in support of the rebels. Anyone can write a book, my point is just don't make conclusion on just a book you read. Learn from both sides before you make conclusions...I have been studying both sides for long now, i will always pick Iran, Assad and Putin sides over the West and Saudi Arabia. All sides has their shortcomings anyway. Speaking to an Arab doesn't give a clear understanding of the war in Syria as most Arabs are Sunnis and would most likely enchoe whatever their masters in Saudi Arabia and the gulf says about Assad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by madridguy(m): 7:25pm On Oct 30, 2015
Do I mentioned it was a religious war ?

olawooro:
who tells you it was a religious war?
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by bigdot1759(m): 7:25pm On Oct 30, 2015
daretodiffer:

Saddam Hussein was a monster. He invaded Kuwait, an Islamic country and also started war against Iran also an Islamic country. The man was power hungry and he discarded his religion because of his personal interest. How dare you try to turn this into West vs Islam?.

Assad is also a monster. Unless you have had any dealings with people from that part of the world, don't support tyranny because the perpetrators claim to be muslims. It was not in the West's place to interfere but both them are monsters. I am a Muslim and I know that they are monsters.

I dont care about Gaddafi and Putin undecided

* I doubt if you know anything about Assad sef undecided
please really check dis thread tittle again b4 any comments & search YouTube " Hilary Clinton with al-qaeda"
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by ManTiger(m): 7:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
madridguy:
If not Putin and Chinese government that vowed to lock horn with the combination of Nato and US if they dare try to invade syria the way they did in. Iraq by now Asad name would have been written in the name of ex president. Evil people.

Naso o my brother.
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by madridguy(m): 7:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
Saddam was an angel in Iraqi.

daretodiffer:

I am in no way supporting the invasion but Saddam Hussein was a devil
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
Idrismusty97:
They are thousands of books about the Middle East? Which ones? Is it the pro Shi'as books or the Pro Sunnis? Is it the books in support of Assad or those in support of the rebels. Anyone can write a book, my point is just don't make conclusion on just a book you read. Learn from both sides before you make conclusions...I have been studying both sides for long now, i will always pick Iran, Assad and Putin sides over the West and Saudi Arabia. All sides has their shortcomings anyway. Speaking to an Arab doesn't give a clear understanding of the war in Syria as most Arabs are Sunnis and would most likely enchoe whatever their masters in Saudi Arabia and the gulf says about Assad.

Above van write a book doors not mean that there aren't any non bias and objective books our there. Maybe you need to work harder on your information searching skillundecided

Oh no! It does not but it gives you, A Nigerian, a black man to speak with so much conviction that they are good people. I think I will pass on thatundecided

By the way, Speaking to an arab, listening to them talk about their own experiences in the hands of those working for Assad or on pre-Iraqi war definitely put me far above you on this topic. You should listen and stop supporting tyrants just because they labelled themselves Muslims. You are indirectly commiting a sin each time you do.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by chigoizie7(m): 7:30pm On Oct 30, 2015
Same way they messed egypt and libya up.

I will continue to say this, muamar gadahfi is my only hero as a president , he is a man with a lot of balls and courage, but the US set his people against him. Libyans are eaping the fruit of their labor now, ntoor.

Next hero is mugabe, strong and fearless.

US and UK keep committing atrocities.

3 Likes

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by slyng(m): 7:31pm On Oct 30, 2015
The television series '24' had exposed it all. Little wonder the series was brought to an abrupt end against the will of keifer

2 Likes

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 30, 2015
madridguy:
Saddam was an angel in Iraqi.

Oh! Have you been to Iraq before or many Iraqis ot Arabs have you related with? How many Iranians and Kuwaiti have you spoken to?

Till you do, try to stop commenting on things you know nothing about.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by ALISMILE(m): 7:31pm On Oct 30, 2015
And pple er so blind they can't see a repetition in Syria! And instead of blaming d christian hegemonist they blame Islam! They re so dull they see only wat d hegemonist want them to see! Hundreds of millions dead as a result of this deceit! This deceit was again repeated in Lybia an action which greatly indirectly strengthened Boko haram! Pple fail to see that Israel and American wants total destruction of non allied nations!

3 Likes

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
Lol
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
......and some dumb mofos will be here on Nairaland spitting "Islamabad". You gon be alright!

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by madridguy(m): 7:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
You know nothing about the whole issue.

daretodiffer:

Oh! Have you been to Iraq before or many Iraqis ot Arabs have you related with? How many Iranians and Kuwaiti have you spoken to?

Till you do, try to stop commenting on things you know nothing about.
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
bigdot1759:
please really check dis thread tittle again b4 any comments & search YouTube " Hilary Clinton with al-qaeda"

Why don't you conduct your own independent research instead of sticking to someone else's theory or peddling conspiracy theories.
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by babajero(m): 7:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
madridguy:
My brother take your time to research very well. 9/11 was blatant lie, an article well screened play by the US to cover up all their evil act. Take your time to research very well and the truth shall set you free. 9/11 remain the biggest scam of all time.

Why is it that you muslims like conspiracy theory, and that is the main problem with your religion, and that is the only reason when they tell you something at the mosque you don't verify it, you just pick up arm.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 30, 2015
madridguy:
You know nothing about the whole issue.

You know nothing about anything.undecided

Your ignorance and persistence to be ignorant is mind boggling.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by 400billionman: 7:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
These are the people Buahri went to maje friends with..
Re: "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War by ALISMILE(m): 7:39pm On Oct 30, 2015
luwizz:
hope bush will apologise as well
u quoted the whole post jus to say dis! Wat a pity!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Truck Driver, Edward Durr Beats Steve Sweeney, New Jersey Senate President / Why Uju Anya Shouldn't Be Fired By Carnegie Mellon University. / Key Features Of Israel’s Multilayered Air Defence System Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.