Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. (44290 Views)

200,000 Youths About To Become Jobless As November Approaches / Difficulties You Might Relate To If You Are Jobless (like Me) / The Certificate We Have Is The More Reason We Are Jobless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by blackprowler: 5:13pm On Oct 27, 2015
zaza999:
Our company folded up and was closed down without payment of some months salary, let alone paying off. Since then it's not been easy financially and otherwise while seriously looking for job.

The one that surpises me is some friends' attitude since i am jobless.These are people when we were doing well in our office, we mingled together etc, but since the jobless saga started, many of them started disssociating themselves.They wont visit you as usual, they can't even give you a call, most time when you call them, they won't even pick your calls after seeing many missed calls from you on their phone but that wasn't the case when things were okay.

Telling them about helping you in search of jobs seems like a disturbance, many of them you will forward your cv to, will simply ignore making efforts while claiming as if they are doing anything on it. You will be seeing yourself as an abandoned fellow.The story is endless.

I begin to ask, are these as a result of wrong friends or normal thing. Advise or share your experience.

You neva see anything. Veteran here, '40s. You need to look for Ebenezer Obey's song of the '60s, Shina Peters's song of 1989, even Tony One-week's of the 2000s to understand that you just start. There are no friends in Nigeria, even for some like me, no family. You never see anything. Everybody is fair-weather. They have no idea how they're ruining the country by that: ppl who could be very very great but stumbled and fall are trampled over by Nigerians and are very likely to die, and what great difference they would have made would never be known. I've always said it is the way we behave in Nigeria that is the cause of our failure as a country. The so-called government is composed of us too, with same evil heart.
Go and find moni by any means or else you'll end up having no one at all; the ones you'll hang on to will make you feel like a 3rd class human being and that they're doing you a great favour. This society is very sick indeed

4 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by damiiee: 5:15pm On Oct 27, 2015
The truth is what you have described @ OP hurts but there are two sides to a coin.

Some friends also, because you are working they assume you have all the money to spare and you can find them a job easily.
Send me 2k....

They do not understand that because you work somewhere does not mean you can easily fix someone in that company
Neither does it mean that you suddenly have networks and all the Dangote Connections.

As yorubas would say.... Kashama shey dada ( always do good)
Whether jobless or Jobful

6 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by simdam500(m): 5:16pm On Oct 27, 2015
Op you should be thankful for this kind of time... some people have passed through this time and have came out strong, some hasn't so they no what await them. But in all everyone will eventually go through it...

But what you should be appreciative cos it is better to go through this earlier in the stage of life than latter...

Another thing is that it is an eye opener to choose your friends well when you get back to your feet!

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Techangels: 5:19pm On Oct 27, 2015
EVEN AT TIMES FAMILY DEY DISSAPOINT.

WHEN I WAS IN SUCH SITUATION, MY MAMA SEF REFUSE TO BORROW ME 100K TO PAY PART OF MY HOUSE RENT., MY VERY GOOD FRIEND ALSO REFUSED TO HELP ME, KEPT POSTING ME. BUT GOD EVENTUALLY SAW ME THROUGH. NOW EVERYBODY DEY CALL ME UP AND DOWN.

simplejayy:
no friend, no foe. spend your time with your family. no friends in reality. many will clinch because of the benefit they are getting or will get.

3 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 27, 2015
That is a normal thing. You would ping some in the morning, they would reply 3days later_ yet they keep changing dps (e.g) Friedplantain.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Digriz(m): 5:23pm On Oct 27, 2015
yvesboss:
OP...i can only say congratulations.

I stopped the issue of of friends stuff when my most deadliest secrets went up the air like breaking news..it can only be friends.

When my fone rings..if not bae, na glo, mtn or airtel (as my itel fone with 3 sims make me friend to all telecom coy).

Love yourself, Never b distant from fam, they are all yu v got.

But remember wen the tables turns, fans go yapa...its better keep them as fans, cuz they turn their backs wen a 'mourinho' starts exhibiting with you.

I now understand when dad tells me he neva keep friends.
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by hedonistic: 5:23pm On Oct 27, 2015
sihom:
Lol - OP welcome to life and the real world. I was in the same situation once but I came through it a stronger and better person.

These valuable lessons helped me at the time and they continue to do so even now;

1. No one can change your life except you.

2. Everyone has problems and challenges of their own, do not expect anyone to take panadol for your headache.

3. Success in this life is your personal responsibility (Zainab) do not put it on any one.

Beautiful words on marble.
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by blackprowler: 5:27pm On Oct 27, 2015
marshalcarter:
Never forger 3 types of friend in life

1-those who were with you in hard times

2-those who put you in hard times

3-those who left you in hard times

Number 1 almost doesn't exist in Nigeria. Mistake ppl make is to equate someone on same level of nothingness with you as 1. If you were on a high level and you fall down, they're no longer excited to see you. People don't see ability in others in Nigeria, only success. While girls are the ones mostly blamed for this, I think it applies to everybody here.

Interestingly I know someone who is 2 and 3 together: he's part of what ultimately put me in difficulty for the very reason that I wanted to help him as a friend, and he left me in difficulty when I finally fell face-flat.
MAKE NO MISTAKE: this is not how the world is as some people are saying; this is how NIGERIA is...and I've been around and participated in a great deal of foreign discussions forums in my time

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Caracta(f): 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2015
Never expect too much from people!

In this life, I have learnt a lot. Family is everything. Like someone rightly said, invest in them because if it comes crashing down, good family would stand by you.

Friends have failed me so many times that I've lost interest. So dear OP, suck it up and move on. Some friends are like brothers/sisters, they are so valuable they become part of the family. Invest in them.

Don't depend on anyone. They are not obligated to help you. Just do good whichever way you can...especially to people you would probably never meet again. Help strangers. Sow good seed of faith and move on. Helpers and givers get out of difficult times easily. Don't wait until you are a millionaire.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 27, 2015
is it only me or did you also notice that when the melodrama is just starting you that is when you begin to hear words like, "na so life be'? grin

blackprowler:

You neva see anything. Veteran here, '40s. You need to look for Ebenezer Obey's song of the '60s, Shina Peters's song of 1989, even Tony One-week's of the 2000s to understand that you just start. There are no friends in Nigeria, even for some like me, no family. You never see anything. Everybody is fair-weather. They have no idea how they're ruining the country by that: ppl who could be very very great but stumbled and fall are trampled over by Nigerians and are very likely to die, and what great difference they would have made would never be known. I've always said it is the way we behave in Nigeria that is the cause of our failure as a country. The so-called government is composed of us too, with same evil heart.
Go and find moni by any means or else you'll end up having no one at all; the ones you'll hang on to will make you feel like a 3rd class human being and that they're doing you a great favour. This society is very sick indeed
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by ebengems(m): 5:35pm On Oct 27, 2015
it is one of nature's law

1 Like

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Daronyk(f): 5:38pm On Oct 27, 2015
This is real world u are experiencing now. you can never tell the comfort of people around u until you are in difficulties.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by kosokoadeyemi: 5:38pm On Oct 27, 2015
There is nothing like co-workers,it just matter of time,face ur family@home&God almighty,that my advice.
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Caracta(f): 5:39pm On Oct 27, 2015
Some of us are also guilty of this.

If you were not good to your friend in time of need, don't cry a river in your own time of need. Remember Miss Karma!

1 Like

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by sthugo: 5:40pm On Oct 27, 2015
@op u just discovered its all about OYO

THINK,RECREATE,DARE and FORGE ahead

Thats what makes us strong and successful,dont live on self pitty...

Great ppl fall and stand taller..

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by nigeriancuban: 5:41pm On Oct 27, 2015
That's life for you ,even the bible said that to those who have more will be give and when you lost them ,even the little you have will be taken from you.....no one wants to identify with a failure nowadays,even your close friends will even do the worse harm....only God can help in such crucial times
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by great664(m): 5:41pm On Oct 27, 2015
Lol, the reason is simple:
NOBODY wants to associate with you when you are NOBODY

1 Like

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by simplejayy(m): 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2015
Techangels:
EVEN AT TIMES FAMILY DEY DISSAPOINT.

WHEN I WAS IN SUCH SITUATION, MY MAMA SEF REFUSE TO BORROW ME 100K TO PAY PART OF MY HOUSE RENT., MY VERY GOOD FRIEND ALSO REFUSED TO HELP ME, KEPT POSTING ME. BUT GOD EVENTUALLY SAW ME THROUGH. NOW EVERYBODY DEY CALL ME UP AND DOWN.

God dey!
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by enm(m): 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2015
Someone rightly said earlier, everyone got problem.

Some broke up friends are the cause of why their friends dump them or stay away. Being broke is not licence to be demanding for assistance from your friends and expect them to always meet up with your demands, they too have issues to take care of.

I once have a friend who was always demanding. In his joblessness state he gave birth to another child and got his wife pregnant again. He has a second lady whom he intend making his second wife, an aged father and mother to take care of and here i am a bachelor at over 30 trying to settle down, and with my own financial responsibility. Even when you are complaining of cash crunch, he still expect you to attend to his need first.

During all this i always remember my father who was dump by his friends and relatives, people that he help at the detriment of his family. There are friends he single-handedly paid their house rent, went ahead to provide them feeding money for them and their family, fuelling their cars and so on but they deserted him when things changed and some where saying " what did he do with his money"

So before we critize our friends action let try and know where they are coming from. You will have friends who will want to help but their family first and some, is our attitude or reaction is what drove them away.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by abdullkabar(m): 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2015
There is a saying that goes thus.....trust no one because even your shadow leaves you in the dark(it aint an ordinary saying)
I personally use it as a guide.....if you are married,you will be startled when your wife too shows the aww act(not all of them tho).....Moral: pray,wish,hope for the best...expect the worst

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 27, 2015
May God provide yhu with anoda job.
M also jobless @ d moment, though my friends are not moving away from me but this unemployment of a thing z really getting out of hand and I think itz d trending topic on most sites @ d moment.

3 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by hedonistic: 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2015
daveP:
As much as il like to totally agree about this friend syndrome

those of you saying 'nothing like family' hope you know its hurts more, worse when what the OP is saying is done by your blood?

Lalasticlala, Fp o

I think family in this case means one's nuclear family.. Your parents and your real brothers and sisters. Forget cousins or uncles and distant relatives...

4 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by kaboninc(m): 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2015
zaza999:
Our company folded up and was closed down without payment of some months salary, let alone paying off. Since then it's not been easy financially and otherwise while seriously looking for job.

The one that surpises me is some friends' attitude since i am jobless.These are people when we were doing well in our office, we mingled together etc, but since the jobless saga started, many of them started disssociating themselves.They wont visit you as usual, they can't even give you a call, most time when you call them, they won't even pick your calls after seeing many missed calls from you on their phone but that wasn't the case when things were okay.

Telling them about helping you in search of jobs seems like a disturbance, many of them you will forward your cv to, will simply ignore making efforts while claiming as if they are doing anything on it. You will be seeing yourself as an abandoned fellow.The story is endless.

I begin to ask, are these as a result of wrong friends or normal thing. Advise or share your experience.

You made the wrong friends...
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by delors(m): 5:53pm On Oct 27, 2015
Well, it depends on the friends and ur level of friendship with them. I have friends u r currently jobless but we still chat n BBM calls a lot...and even mock one another about their status...regardless, we help when we can...that's true friendship

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by hedonistic: 5:54pm On Oct 27, 2015
MadCow1:
OP..

Stop whining.. Its not personal.

Out of sight, out of mind. The moment you leave their line of sight, the less they see you. Its just natural.

Also your mindset awould make you see things that don't exist. You may be reading things that are not there. I have friends who are jobless that feel that because I am working and doing well I should be able to get them a job which in all honesty I cant. Not everybody who has a job has the ability to influence recruitment. Even those that work in H.R.

I hear a lot of anger and self pity in your post. I felt the same way too. I was just looking through my account statement a few minutes ago and was seeing transactions with colleagues from my old job that I have not even heard a word from ever since I left that job. They didn't even call to ask me how I was faring and stuff. I don't hold it against them, everybody is too busy trying to make a good life for themselves to be bothered with me.

However let me tell you about how I got my new job.. It was via recommendation by an old colleague who wasn't even that close to me sef then. But apparently, he was with his uncle who works in another company when their conversation got towards work and his uncle mentioned an availability for a job description that I used to do. He just mouthed off that he knew someone who did similar job in his company that just got laid off ad that's how I got a call out of nowhere from the guy saying to send my resume to his uncle. Till tomorrow its like a miracle of sorts because the person who did this for me was not my friend, just that guy that I would stop by his office to have some small talk with. I don't know his surname, never been to his house, never sat for drinks with him, never hung out with him. Just hang shakes and how are you sort of friend. I never even told him what I did nor do I know his job description either.

Basically, stop expecting too much from other people. Help will come when help comes. Maintain all friendships as best as you can as I believe good and bad friends have their uses.

Wishing you the best.

Well, Mad Cow? There's clearly a method to your madness. Excellent perspective.
Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by delishpot: 5:54pm On Oct 27, 2015
A lot of people are like that. In your weakness they dump you.
Sometimes I also believe it is because we overlook those that trully care about us (we say they are too pushy too clingy always wanting to know how we are doing or what ever excuse we find to give just to avoid them) and befriend users who wont call us or even care to know how we are doing per se.

3 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by gsalvatore: 5:54pm On Oct 27, 2015
NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDS....

ONLY ALLIES AND ENEMIES.

5 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by StealthyMe(m): 5:55pm On Oct 27, 2015
Don't be downcast. Its a phase that lets you know who your true friends are. You'll soon be back on your feet, but never forget what you passed through during these trying times. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by vislabraye(m): 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2015
Luizkid:
it's always been like that. When u're successful, pple will run ur ba3 down with calls, but when d table turns u hardly even get a flash..

Yes.There are both sides to it. Some people when they make money, they stop flowing with their former friends. But when money is no more, they come back to the same friends they've forgotten.
I know a relative that when all was well with him, he didn't care about us. (It wasn't as if we needed his money, though.) He was rather friendly to other family members who though were rich, but they exaggerated their wealth.
Things went bad for this particular dude and the relatives he was close to ignored him. But today he's no coming close to us and sometimes gets assistance. Life can be funny.

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by Fweezy(m): 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2015
Anger can only breed anger and hate only more hate. If so called friends can no longer support or in the least encourage each other in desperate times, It can only mean that everyone will eventually end up having only enemies in the future and no friends at all. But I think by now u can very well understand why most of ur pri. and second school teachers looked down on u while in sch so angrily as tho ur parents had offended dem by not helpin dem get better jobs b4 u were born

2 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by scobaba: 5:59pm On Oct 27, 2015
Bros its everywhere. Its not that the friends are bad. It just happens. I hav shifted jobs three tyms. Wt an idle period of 6 months in between them. In those tyms i experienced same situation u are talking about. Some really hurt me wt the avoidance thing, but there were still some i dint expect any better from. Somehow when i rebounced, i found myself still rolling wih dem. I dont know sha. But i dont know how to keep grudges. My current job really placed me ahead of all of them financially, a good opportunity to pay back cos these guys all flock around now asking for contracts and reminding you how close you all were , where you all are comin from bla bla bla. I try to still maintain tyns, but its hard to forget.

Just focus on getting back on your feet, then decide what to do with those kind of friends.

All the best. wink

4 Likes

Re: The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. by oyeezah(f): 5:59pm On Oct 27, 2015
zaza999:

those aren't friends, dey r users, ppl who only come around wen d going is good n everytn is worth celebrating but flee at d slightest occurrence of hardship. True friends celebrate with you, remain with you when the going gets tough and look for ways to help better your life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. / How Can I Download The Nigeria Police Force Recruitment Form? / My Story: How I bought a car from my Income on freelancer.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.