Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,489 members, 7,812,526 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References (5092 Views)

Queen Elizabeth II Arrives Lugard's House, Kaduna 1956 (Throwback Photo) / "Buhari May Cause Nigeria’s Breakup" – Frederick Fasehun / What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by ezeagu(m): 7:58pm On Oct 27, 2015
Frederick Lugard's, Governor-General of the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria, letter to Lewis Vernon Harcourt, 18 August 1913.

I have the honour to enclose for your information charts of the estuaries and rivers in the neighbourhood of the proposed port and terminus of the Eastern Railway at Diobu or more correctly Iguocha... In the absence of any convenient local name, I would respectfully ask your permission to call this Port Harcourt, and I anticipate, that, in the future, it will be one of the most important ports in the coast of West Africa...

[img]http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA74&img=1&pgis=1&dq=iguocha&sig=ACfU3U1wKi7JFMWVz-QQoE-OHDpn24Qu3A&edge=0[/img]

[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA74&img=1&pgis=1&dq=iguocha+diobu&sig=ACfU3U3aw3MMOe81wOCKtX-b5PB_duM62w&edge=0[/img]
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jlsqAQAAMAAJ

Just in case in case: @http://igbobuofu.com/threads/frederick-lugard-iguocha-and-historical-references.142/

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by ezeagu(m): 7:58pm On Oct 27, 2015
Just for historical references.

3 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by IGBOSON1: 8:04pm On Oct 27, 2015
I swear, posts like this make me hate this fuc/king country all the more!

It becomes clearer by the day that there's a grand conspiracy right from when the war began to date to rewrite the history of Ndigbo and whittle down our influence in the area formerly known as the Eastern Region!

After now some fools (including some efulefu Igbo) will come up to me and ask me to join them in cheering for 'one Nigeria'!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by foxe(m): 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2015
following
Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Obiagu1(m): 8:11pm On Oct 27, 2015
It is only a big fool that would question the Igbo when they call Portharcourt by its original name: Igweocha.

Portharcourt is Igboland.

20 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by dialfa: 8:17pm On Oct 27, 2015
Now I have added Igweocha to Igbo cities I will defend with my life.

15 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by ezeagu(m): 8:19pm On Oct 27, 2015
Let me just add that I believe the original name has actually been further distorted to 'Igwe Ocha' from it's Ikwere/Igbo name 'Igwu or Ugwu Ocha' meaning shimmering cliffs.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Sweetguy25: 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2015
Lol
Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by warrior01: 8:24pm On Oct 27, 2015
Where is that stewpid boy called Tonyebarcanista that wants to rewrite history be deceive the gullible? Fuvking saboteur

14 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by ezeagu(m): 8:28pm On Oct 27, 2015
IGBOSON1:
I swear, posts like this make me hate this fuc/king country all the more!

It becomes clearer by the day that there's a grand conspiracy right from when the war began to date to rewrite the history of Ndigbo and whittle down our influence in the area formerly known as the Eastern Region!

After now some fools (including some efulefu Igbo) will come up to me and ask me to join them in cheering for 'one Nigeria'!

Not only is the original site of Port Harcourt (not the Okrika parts) Ikwere land, the whole city exists solely because of the railway that carted away coal from Enugu city.

9 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by abe4kom: 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2015
Ugwu ocha, white cliffs or white hills,
Igwe Ocha, white clouds or bright clouds

All boil down to one thing, the original inhabitants of the area named Port Harcourt were Igbo.

10 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by sunnyb0b0(m): 8:44pm On Oct 27, 2015
We now know who the land grabbers are.

15 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by sunnyb0b0(m): 8:51pm On Oct 27, 2015
Obiagu1:
It is only a big fool that would question the Igbo when they call Portharcourt by its original name: Igweocha.

Portharcourt is Igboland.

Are you implying that TonyeBarcanista is a big fool?

Show some respect bro grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Dhugal: 8:55pm On Oct 27, 2015
So much for nairaland revisionists,their lies so easily dispelled

3 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:57pm On Oct 27, 2015
I have the honour to enclose for your information charts of the estuaries and rivers in the neighbourhood of the proposed port and terminus of the Eastern Railway at Diobu or more correctly Iguocha..
Is it not clear that the Eastern Railway at Diobu was formerly known as Iguocha and NOT the entire Portharcourt City? This is easy to comprehend.
The colonial government caused the people of Diobu to cede their land, and in 1912 the building of a port-town was started Other villages that were later absorbed into the city included Oroworukwo, Mkpogua, and Rumuomasi; In the creeks to the south of the original port were the fishing camps and grounds of the Okrika-Ijaw group

Can't it be inferred that Iguocha, other Ikwerre farmlands/towns and Okrika Fishing camps makes up portharcourt? Is this not clear? So when did the whole PHC become Iguocha? Is Iguocha, a town in Diobu(as at then) now Igbo owned or Ikwerre owned?

For the upteenth time, PHC is not Iguocha or Igweocha and has never been. Parts of Portharcourt? Maybe, just like every other towns that makes up the citu. But if the Ikwerres wants it renamed(their parts), it is between the RVSG, Ikwerre people and Okrika people

HopeAtHand

3 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Obiagu1(m): 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Are you plying that TonyeBarcanista is a big fool?

Show some respect bro.

Guy I wasn't referring to anyone.
That notwithstanding, if anyone said the Igbo renamed it when they never did in the first place, then it is really annoying and confrontational. The protesters didn't rename the town in the first place.

Then if anyone questions us knowing fully well that its original name was Igweocha, then the person is a big fool.

5 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by dinachi(m): 9:03pm On Oct 27, 2015
The real land grabbers are the Ijaws who heartlessly betrayed the Igbos during the war and still betrayed them after Jonathans election by declaring PDP an Ijaw party and zoning the presidency to the north. For those of my brothers who believe in Nigeria, allying with Ijaws is a big political mistake. We should only ally with a big ethnic group of similar size and structure like the Yorubas or Hausa Fulani. Ijaws do not have the numbers to be seriously useful to us in national politics. The Jonathan issue is a very big lesson, I hope we have learnt something. Our worst enemy in Nigeria as of today is the Ijaws. They know Portharcourt was an Igbo city and because they know that if it is removed from them , they have nothing left,the come up with theories to deny this truth. Only foolish fools still pay attention to barcanista.

8 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 27, 2015
I didn't even know that this is true??
So portharcourt is an Igbo territory...
Thunder fire any okirika man or any other idiot that will be foolish to seize any part of Igbo land...
From now on to me and by right igweocha is Igbo land...
All of you minorities that came from bini should begin to park and return from where you come from sharp sharp...
You people are causing nuisance over there...
I believe this is my right and am ready to defend it from now on...

Thanks for all this heated arguments the truth is now coming out....

11 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Obiagu1(m): 9:07pm On Oct 27, 2015
Igbos are not land grabbers, we don't claim what we don't have connection to.

Ife di na ana elika!

The Igbo never claimed the little Igalla land in Anambra which would have been very easy to do, they are already Igbonised, yet we promote them, told the whole world there are Igalla people in Anambra.
Same way the Igbo have always acknowledged the Okrika connection to the southern fringes of Igweocha.

But what did the Igbo get in return?
An idiot coming to say there are no Igbo in the SouthSouth. Things have to change really.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by HopeAtHand: 9:07pm On Oct 27, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Is it not clear that the Easterb Railway at Diobu was formerly known as Iguocha and NOT the entire Portharcourt City? This is easy to comprehend.

Can't it be inferred that Iguocha, other Ikwerre towns and Okrika Fishing camps makes up portharcourt? Is this not clear? So when did the whole PHC become Iguocha?

HopeAtHand

Freeglobe, i was doing something serious..but im back now.

The true ownership of Port Harcourt, by Port Harcourt i mean the PH township from station down to Borikiri will be determined one day, it would have come sooner had the 'Oil River State' agitation not been shelved.

We are at a point in our soceity where people have become more enlightened and civilised and cannot be fighting unnecessarily over issues that the true facts are easily accessible..The Okrikans claim to have a wtitten agreement with the British..The documents surely in Okrika possesion will be verified by British as Britain isnt in heaven but on earth.

Already, we have contacted the National Archives of Great Britain and they've conformed that copies of the original Port Harcourt Historical documents are with them, so no problems at all.

Regardless, i believe Ikwerres should be the ones pushing for any territorial claims or name change in Port Harcourt and not Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 27, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Is it not clear that the Easterb Railway at Diobu was formerly known as Iguocha and NOT the entire Portharcourt City? This is easy to comprehend.

Can't it be inferred that Iguocha, other Ikwerre towns and Okrika Fishing camps makes up portharcourt? Is this not clear? So when did the whole PHC become Iguocha?

HopeAtHand

Thunder strike your generations there for trying to pay the kind gestures the Igbo nation gave to them with treachery and petty thief...
I was thinking you will open another thread for this...
We have already known this truth...
You people are minority bc you guys migrated...
And Nigeria has given you a shield to bite the finger that fed you...
You know that when biafra is actualized, everything will come to light and you will be sent out...
That's why you are not supporting biafra...
But Devil don punish you bc he knows that biafra will surely come...
And you minorities will be judged for your crimes...
Ungrateful people...
You wan form Niger deltan for another man's land...
God will also punish you there... Idiot

13 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by mightyhaze: 9:11pm On Oct 27, 2015
Iguocha,.... Odi ok!

1 Like

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:12pm On Oct 27, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Brb
Like I always say, the status of PHC is 100% the affair of RVSG, Ikwerre and Okrika. This is non-negotiable
Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Obiagu1(m): 9:14pm On Oct 27, 2015
ezeagu:
Let me just add that I believe the original name has actually been further distorted to 'Igwe Ocha' from it's Ikwere/Igbo name 'Igwu or Ugwu Ocha' meaning shimmering cliffs.

I think it is Igweocha, dede1 will know better

1 Like

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by Obiagu1(m): 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2015
China never ceded Taiwan, Macau or Hong Kong to anyone, so the Igbo must fight to keep Igboland as one.

9 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by FreeGlobe(f): 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Brb
where you dey run go? grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by naijapips02: 9:17pm On Oct 27, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Is it not clear that the Eastern Railway at Diobu was formerly known as Iguocha and NOT the entire Portharcourt City? This is easy to comprehend.

Can't it be inferred that Iguocha, other Ikwerre farmlands/towns and Okrika Fishing camps makes up portharcourt? Is this not clear? So when did the whole PHC become Iguocha? Is Iguocha, a town in Diobu(as at then) now Igbo owned or Ikwerre owned?

For the upteenth time, PHC is not Iguocha or Igweocha and has never been. Parts of Portharcourt? Maybe but if the Ikwerres wants it renamed(their parts), it is between the RVSG, Ikwerre people and Okrika people

HopeAtHand

why trade word with the zombies? they didn't see Diobu there, abi? So because the rail station was called iguocha, all PH is now igboland?

4 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by ezeagu(m): 9:18pm On Oct 27, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

For the upteenth time, PHC is not Iguocha or Igweocha and has never been. Parts of Portharcourt? Maybe but if the Ikwerres wants it renamed(their parts), it is between the RVSG, Ikwerre people and Okrika people
HopeAtHand

naijapips02:

why trade word with the zombies? they didn't see Diobu there, abi? So because the rail station was called iguocha, all PH is now igboland?

"Hughes found that the creek opposite Okrika Island was the continuation of the Bonny River and following it up he came to the literite cliffs on which was established a village Iguocha, and so Port Harcourt was born."

http://books.google.com/books?id=qqkuAQAAIAAJ

Forgotten heroes of Grand Bonny (2001), by Gentle Finapiri

9 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by warrior01: 9:19pm On Oct 27, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Like I always say, the status of PHC is 100% the affair of RVSG, Ikwerre and Okrika. This is non-negotiable

Look at this land grabber; ain't you no shame at all? Port Harcourt ( formerly known as Iguocha) was founded because of the coal from Enugu and you're here still spewing trash? Thunder fire you. Shameless idiot

9 Likes

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by FreeGlobe(f): 9:19pm On Oct 27, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

When the time comes, there will be no RVSG. Everyone will answer his fathers name and any attempt by the minority ijaw tribe to drag any part of igboland in Rivers will be met with serious consequences

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by naijapips02: 9:22pm On Oct 27, 2015
ezeagu:

"Hughes found that the creek opposite Okrika Island was the continuation of the Bonny River and following it up he came to the literite cliffs on which was established a village Iguocha, and so Port Harcourt was born."

http://books.google.com/books?id=qqkuAQAAIAAJ

Forgotten heroes of Grand Bonny (2001), by Gentle Finapiri

so a white man, hughes, established an igboid village ? grin this zombies no go kill person. grin
Re: Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:23pm On Oct 27, 2015
naijapips02:

I won't call anybody "zombie though"

It is however interesting that something as clear as sunlight is what they keep overflogging. Any discussion on the status of PHC is an internal affair between Ikwerre, Okrika and Rivers state anyway.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vote Buying: "INEC Vows To Arrest, Prosecute Politicians" / Meet The Only Serious Man In Buhari's Administration (photos) / There Is No God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.