Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,052 members, 7,835,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City (5146 Views)

Ondo Is No Longer An Oil Producing State Just Like Crossriver / Pdp Crisis: Why Reconciliation Is No Longer An Option – Governor Wike / Port Harcourt Is An Igbo City! Stop All The Debates (SEE PROOF) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 28, 2015
Asaba
Location in Nigeria
Coordinates: 6°11′52.23″N 6°43′42.48″E
Country Nigeria
State Delta State

Asaba City (Igbo: Àhàbà)[1] is the capital of Nigeria's Delta State, and has an estimated population of 150,032 (2006 census).[2]

Etymology

Ahaba in Igbo is from 'Ahabagom', meaning I have chosen well, a quote from the founding father (Nnebisi) of Asaba.

History

The city of Asaba was once the colonial capital of the Southern Nigeria Protectorate. It was founded in 1884.[3] It hosted the Royal Niger Company, which the British authorities set up to stimulate trade and the exportation of goods to England. That company has grown today into the UAC Nigeria PLC. Its traditional ruler is the Asagba.

Geography

The city of Asaba, the capital of oil rich Delta State of Nigeria is strategically located on a hill at the western edge of the majestic River Niger. The historic River Niger is a trans-African link beginning from West Africa and down into the Atlantic Ocean. Asaba forms a connector between western, eastern and northern Nigeria through the River Niger from the north and via the Asaba Niger Bridge, an east west link and a Nigeria landmark.

Asaba lies approximately 6 degrees north of the equator and about the same distance east of the meridian; about 160 kilometres (100 mi) north of where the River Niger flows into the Atlantic Ocean. The greater Asaba occupies an area of about 300 square kilometers. It maintains an average tropical temperature of 32 °C during the dry season and an average fertile rainfall of 2,700 millimetres (106 in) during the rainy season.

Demographics

The composition of Asaba is mainly of Igbo people. Other groups in the city consists of Urhobo, Ukwuani, Isoko, Ijaw, Ika, Hausa, Itsekiri and Yoruba people.

Source :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asaba,_Delta

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 28, 2015
We all know that...
But thanks for stating it here as it will serve as a reference point in the future...
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by stebell(m): 10:21am On Oct 28, 2015
So now too Asaba is also Biafran land.
Wetin happen to una own land for South East??
yu guys hav moved from Ph to Asaba. maybe Eket in Akwa Ibom shud be next in line too to answer the Biafran name.
Yeye dey smell cool

4 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 28, 2015
stebell:
So now too Asaba is also Biafran land.
Wetin happen to una own land for South East??
yu guys hav moved from Ph to Asaba. maybe Eket in Akwa Ibom shud be next in line too to answer the Biafran name.
Yeye dey smell cool
so u prefer Asaba to be a yorubaland?

If u feel am lying ,why not give us fact to show that Asaba is not an igboland ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 28, 2015
We they wait biafrans for Warri. Nonsense. If we no Bleep you niggas up real bad then no be Warri.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by mars123(m): 10:29am On Oct 28, 2015
when you people finish claiming them on social media, you will come and tell their governor, kings and chiefs in real life that they are in your land and get your head cut into four. thief thief ppl.

9 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by stebell(m): 10:31am On Oct 28, 2015
Euro31:
so u prefer Asaba to be a yorubaland?

If u feel am lying ,why not give us fact to show that Asaba is not an igboland ?

If yu dominate a place doesnt mean yu own the place. Time shall tell.
Of course I dont hav the fact now but I'll show yu once I hav it
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Vicotex(m): 10:36am On Oct 28, 2015
stebell:

why not go and tell the Obi that he ain't Igbo if you're truly a man?

10 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by pussyphilia(m): 10:43am On Oct 28, 2015
Everybody from asaba knows that fact!

We are Igbo's!

I don't know why some people are trying to rewrite history here!

It's quite annoying!

10 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by stebell(m): 10:45am On Oct 28, 2015
Vicotex:

Continue living in fools paradise, the Biafra of ur dream wud never be a reality. Quote me anyday.

1 Like

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by stebell(m): 10:55am On Oct 28, 2015
Vicotex:

I heard the capital of this ur Biafra is in Spain. No wonder yu guys are sent here to form states grin grin cheesy

Why is everyone rejecting yu guys if truly yu love them and want them to be part of ur dream nation
Go find work do yu hear.

1 Like

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by supersolex(m): 10:59am On Oct 28, 2015
these biafrans na land grabbers oh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 28, 2015
stebell:

so u mean since yorubas dominate Ibadan , they are not the real owner of Ibadan ?

Where in the article did they use the word 'dominate' ? They stated that Asaba is mainly of Igbo people ....
I dunno why hard it's to comprehend

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 28, 2015
HYPOCRISY is when YORUBA people claim some part of Kwara, Kogi, Lagos as Yoruba land when Igbos claim the Igbo speaking areas of some part of Delta, Rivers and Edo as part of Igbo land, YORUBA'S will start shouting land grabbing, oil thief, is this not hypocrisy at highest level, if Igbo go with only 5 Igbo state and leave the rest of the Igbo land, then Yoruba should leave Lagos, Kwara, Kogi and parts of Ondo ilaje axis alone.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by ckmayoca: 11:07am On Oct 28, 2015
stebell:

Continue living in fools paradise, the Biafra of ur dream wud never be a reality. Quote me anyday.

You really don't want em to go? But why? If it's a fraud let the victims worry since u ain't from the zone. It's dem dream so why working up and wishing them ill since it add nor take nothing from u.

2 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by stebell(m): 11:09am On Oct 28, 2015
ckmayoca:

You really don't want em to go? But why? If it's a fraud let the victims worry since u ain't from the zone. It's dem dream so why working up and wishing them ill since it add nor take nothing from u.

I'm not the one holding them back. They are their own problems not me
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 28, 2015
Rayhut:
HYPOCRISY is when YORUBA people claim some part of Kwara, Kogi, Lagos as Yoruba land when Igbos claim the Igbo speaking areas of some part of Delta, Rivers and Edo as part of Igbo land, YORUBA'S will start shouting land grabbing, oil thief, is this not hypocrisy at highest level, if Igbo go with only 5 Igbo state and leave the rest of the Igbo land, then Yoruba should leave Lagos, Kwara, Kogi and parts of Ondo ilaje axis alone.
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 28, 2015
Me personally won't want the south south near Biafra sef. Those guys are nothing but a menace. Most of them don't work, they wait on monthly government funding.

I support Biafra as a Igbo and Igbo only agenda.

2 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by ApcSucks: 11:26am On Oct 28, 2015
Euro31:
Asaba
Location in Nigeria
Coordinates: 6°11′52.23″N 6°43′42.48″E
Country Nigeria
State Delta State

Asaba City (Igbo: Àhàbà)[1] is the capital of Nigeria's Delta State, and has an estimated population of 150,032 (2006 census).[2]

Etymology

Ahaba in Igbo is from 'Ahabagom', meaning I have chosen well, a quote from the founding father (Nnebisi) of Asaba.

History

The city of Asaba was once the colonial capital of the Southern Nigeria Protectorate. It was founded in 1884.[3] It hosted the Royal Niger Company, which the British authorities set up to stimulate trade and the exportation of goods to England. That company has grown today into the UAC Nigeria PLC. Its traditional ruler is the Asagba.

Geography

The city of Asaba, the capital of oil rich Delta State of Nigeria is strategically located on a hill at the western edge of the majestic River Niger. The historic River Niger is a trans-African link beginning from West Africa and down into the Atlantic Ocean. Asaba forms a connector between western, eastern and northern Nigeria through the River Niger from the north and via the Asaba Niger Bridge, an east west link and a Nigeria landmark.

Asaba lies approximately 6 degrees north of the equator and about the same distance east of the meridian; about 160 kilometres (100 mi) north of where the River Niger flows into the Atlantic Ocean. The greater Asaba occupies an area of about 300 square kilometers. It maintains an average tropical temperature of 32 °C during the dry season and an average fertile rainfall of 2,700 millimetres (106 in) during the rainy season.

Demographics

The composition of Asaba is mainly of Igbo people. Other groups in the city consists of Urhobo, Ukwuani, Isoko, Ijaw, Ika, Hausa, Itsekiri and Yoruba people.

Source :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asaba,_Delta

are you not tired of this ethnic threads? is that the best you can offer? soon it's insults thaat will grace it una dey mess up, y'all igbo folks
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 28, 2015
stebell:

parasites be like '!!
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Metrofox(m): 12:46pm On Oct 28, 2015
pussyphilia:

We are Igbo's!

It's quite annoying!

What makes a person igbo? How do you define an igbo identity?
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by disumusa: 1:07pm On Oct 28, 2015
Rayhut:
you need to understan the word settler and indigen, ibos are settlers in edo,delta,river.

3 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by zuchyblink(m): 1:35pm On Oct 28, 2015
disumusa:
you need to understan the word settler and indigen, ibos are settlers in edo,delta,river.
Abokiiiiiiiiiiiii suyaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1 Like

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by 7lives: 1:56pm On Oct 28, 2015
When i said it then that the agenda was all about expansionism some folks were like " nonsense " thank God for Awolowo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
na so these barbarians for dey drag our God given land with us.
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by pussyphilia(m): 1:57pm On Oct 28, 2015
Metrofox:

What makes a person igbo? How do you define an igbo identity?
shared culture. Shared language and ancestry.
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 28, 2015
Asaba massacre

Asaba massacre

Location Asaba
Date October 7, 1967
Target Igbo civilians of Asaba
Attack type
Mass murder
Deaths 700+
Perpetrators Nigerian 2nd Division under

Murtala Mohammed
Ibrahim Taiwo

The Asaba massacres occurred in early October 1967, during the Nigerian Civil War, fought over the secession of Biafra (the former Eastern Region of Nigeria). Biafran troops invaded the Midwest Region of Nigeria, to the west of the River Niger, in early August, 1967. They spread west, taking Benin City and reaching as far as Ore, where they were pushed back by the Nigerian Second Division, under the command of Col. Murtala Muhammed.

The Federal troops gained the upper hand, and forced the Biafrans back to the Niger, where they crossed the bridge back into the Biafran city of Onitsha, which lies directly across from Asaba. The Biafrans blew up the eastern spans of the bridge, so that the Federal troops were unable to pursue them.

The Federal troops entered Asaba around October 5, and began ransacking houses and killing civilians, claiming they were Biafran sympathisers. Leaders summoned the townspeople to assemble on the morning of October 7, hoping to end the violence through a show of support for "One Nigeria." Hundreds of men, women, and children, many wearing the ceremonial akwa ocha (white) attire paraded along the main street, singing, dancing, and chanting "One Nigeria." At a junction, men and teenage boys were separated from women and young children, and gathered in an open square at Ogbe-Osawa village. Federal troops revealed machine guns, and orders were given by Maj. Ibrahim Taiwo to open fire. It is estimated that more than 700 men and boys were killed, some as young as 12 years old, in addition to many more killed in the preceding days.

The bodies of some victims were retrieved by family members and buried at home. But most were buried in many mass graves, without appropriate ceremony. Many extended families lost dozens of men and boys. Federal troops occupied Asaba for many months, during which time most of the town was destroyed, many women and girls were raped or forcibly "married," and large numbers of citizens fled, many not returning until the war ended in 1970.
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 28, 2015
Benjamin Adekunle speech during the war...

Adekunle was a key champion of the food blockade to Biafra. In a wartime interview he had with Randolph Baumann of Stern Magazine in Igweocha (published on August 18, 1968), he stated:[3]

ADEKUNLE: In the section of the front that I rule—and that is the whole south front from Lagos to the border of Kamerun—I do not want to see the Red Cross, Caritas Aid, World Church delegation, Pope, Missionary, or UN delegation.

STERN: Does that mean that the many thousands of tons of food that are stored in Lagos will never get to the refugee camps in your section of the country?

ADEKUNLE: That’s exactly what I am saying.

STERN: But you said yourself that most of the refugees in the part you captured are not Ibos.

ADEKUNLE: I don't care if they are ibos or not. I want to block all foreign aids from a getting to that part of the country as long as this whole people have not given up yet.

STERN: Do you sometimes feel sympathy for the Ibo children?

ADEKUNLE: I have learned a word from the British, which is “sorry”! That’s how I want to respond to your question. I want to win this war for the sake of Nigeria crude oil. Therefore I have to kill the enemies to win this war. Sorry! The End.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by kingzizzy: 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2015
pussyphilia:

We are Igbo's!

It's quite annoying!

The funny thing is the Yorubas, most of who have never crossed the river Niger. They will look at a map of their artificially created Nigeria and its artificially created States and then tell anyone they have become experts in Igbo geography. Then they will create Monikas and come online to say that Igbos are only in 5 states lol

3 Likes

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by pussyphilia(m): 3:55pm On Oct 28, 2015
kingzizzy:

The funny thing is the Yorubas, most of who have never crossed the river Niger. They will look at a map of their artificially created Nigeria and its artificially created States and then tell anyone they become experts on Igbo geography. Then they will create Monikas and come online to say that Igbos are only in 5 states lol
I tell you my brother!

The whole thing is annoying.
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by meforyou1(m): 4:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
disumusa:
and your father is the land owner?
Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by meforyou1(m): 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2015
Euro31:

Asaba massacre

Asaba massacre

Location Asaba
Date October 7, 1967
Target Igbo civilians of Asaba
Attack type
Mass murder
Deaths 700+
Perpetrators Nigerian 2nd Division under

Murtala Mohammed
Ibrahim Taiwo

The Asaba massacres occurred in early October 1967, during the Nigerian Civil War, fought over the secession of Biafra (the former Eastern Region of Nigeria). Biafran troops invaded the Midwest Region of Nigeria, to the west of the River Niger, in early August, 1967. They spread west, taking Benin City and reaching as far as Ore, where they were pushed back by the Nigerian Second Division, under the command of Col. Murtala Muhammed.

The Federal troops gained the upper hand, and forced the Biafrans back to the Niger, where they crossed the bridge back into the Biafran city of Onitsha, which lies directly across from Asaba. The Biafrans blew up the eastern spans of the bridge, so that the Federal troops were unable to pursue them.

The Federal troops entered Asaba around October 5, and began ransacking houses and killing civilians, claiming they were Biafran sympathisers. Leaders summoned the townspeople to assemble on the morning of October 7, hoping to end the violence through a show of support for "One Nigeria." Hundreds of men, women, and children, many wearing the ceremonial akwa ocha (white) attire paraded along the main street, singing, dancing, and chanting "One Nigeria." At a junction, men and teenage boys were separated from women and young children, and gathered in an open square at Ogbe-Osawa village. Federal troops revealed machine guns, and orders were given by Maj. Ibrahim Taiwo to open fire. It is estimated that more than 700 men and boys were killed, some as young as 12 years old, in addition to many more killed in the preceding days.

The bodies of some victims were retrieved by family members and buried at home. But most were buried in many mass graves, without appropriate ceremony. Many extended families lost dozens of men and boys. Federal troops occupied Asaba for many months, during which time most of the town was destroyed, many women and girls were raped or forcibly "married," and large numbers of citizens fled, many not returning until the war ended in 1970.
this is a war crime. And the bandit murtala and ibrahim taiwo must be tried by ICC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City by pussyphilia(m): 4:26pm On Oct 28, 2015
TO SUPPORT THE OP

Cc hensben

Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) - Politics (3) - Nairaland
Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) (2098 Views)
Igbo Leaders Join The North to say NO biafra, Picture Of Agriculture In Biafra / BIAFRA : See What Nnamdi Kanu Is Doing In Hong Kong (photos) / Photo Proof Of One Of The Many Ways Rochas Plans To Murder Us All In Imo State (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Un-Follow) (Go Down)
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by theDEVILisHERE: 2:52pm
partnerus:

May God bless you for speaking the truth. I belong to team #IRemainProudlyNaijaForLife

You mean you belong to team
#IRemainProudlyANiggaSlaveForLife

Well
Biafrans choose not to be part of this team
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by zeusdgrt(m): 2:53pm
theDEVILisHERE:

Your propaganda and lies will not work
Stop stressing yourself
It is a waste of time
Niger deltans have decided,we are not interested in your biafra.Go look bush..lol
red lips smile,sexy eyes

Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by stanech: 2:59pm
Op niger delta includes imo and abia I suppose you will teLl them they are not biafrans tooo
Freedom is not given freely.
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by zeusdgrt(m): 3:03pm
stanech:
Op niger delta includes imo and abia I suppose you will teLl them they are not biafrans tooo
if they so wish,they are welcome if only they wunt cz trouble
red lips smile,sexy eyes
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by theDEVILisHERE: 3:05pm
zeusdgrt:
Niger deltans have decided,we are not interested in your biafra.Go look bush..lol

This is not about back and fort aguement

Biafra's full restoration (with all it's territories) will happen
And soon

If you doubt this you can make a bet on it
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by zeusdgrt(m): 3:12pm
theDEVILisHERE:

This is not about back and fort aguement

Biafra's full restoration (with all it's territories) will happen
And soon

If you doubt this you can make a bet on it
your region are your territories,so have ur dry lands and leave cz we are not giving you any land after the onisthia bridge..Lol OLE OIL!
red lips smile,sexy eyes
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by stanech: 3:21pm
[quote author=zeusdgrt post=39450648] if they so wish,they are welcome if only they wunt cz trouble[/quote

Well your logic sucks

They are already in the Niger delta even ondo state is in the niger delta...

Again this Niger delta stuff shows how myopic our leaders are. There is no such thing as Niger delta what we have is east west and northern Nigeria. So ur logic doesn't add up
Freedom is not given freely.
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by pussyphilia(m): 4:12pm
hensben:
Now answer this question; what is the meaning of Asaba?
How come ika don't have a dein prior to Bini colonization of their land since you claim they are Igbos? The truth is Igbos were/are the ones who invaded ika land with their language due to the closeness of boundary. Inter-tribal marriage between the two was another factor.
Asaba is derived from the Igbo word "ahaba".
For more info about asaba, pls visit asaba.com/about.

Ika had their traditional leader prior to invasion of their land by the Bini empire.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
An open mind is a virtue!
Re: Niger Delta Rep Alone,no Biafra!(see Photo Proof) by pussyphilia(m): 4:18pm
☰ MENU
About Asaba

The City of Asaba, the capital of oil rich Delta State of Nigeria is strategically located on a hill at the western edge of the majestic River Niger. The historic River Niger is a trans-African link beginning from East Africa and down into the Atlantic Ocean. Asaba forms a connector between western, eastern and northern Nigeria through the River Niger from the north and via the Asaba Niger Bridge, an east west link and a Nigeria landmark. Asaba lies approximately 6 degrees north of the equator and about the same distance east of the meridian; about 100 miles north of where the River Niger flows into the Atlantic Ocean. The greater Asaba occupies an area of about 300 square kilometers. It maintains an average tropical temperature of 90 degrees during the dry season and an average fertile rainfall of 6 inches during the rainy season. Ibo is the native language in Asaba and neighboring towns.

Since becoming the Delta State capital, Asaba has grown in population to over half a million very hospitable people and now maintains a cosmopolitan population of predominantly non-indigenous People.

History

Asaba is believed to have derived its origin from a conglomeration of mostly three different ancestral lineages:

Ugboma is considered to be the first settler in what later became Ahaba and subsequently Asaba.

Ezeanyanwu, another settler was said to have hailed from the royal line Of Ezechima, the legendary ancestor of numerous settlements east of the Niger and environ.

However, the history of modern Asaba is always traced back to its most famous citizen, Nnebisi. Nnebisi, the son of Diaba, an early settler. Nnebisi in Ibo language means: mother is supreme.Nnebisi’s mother was from the village of Agbakuba in Nteje in the broad Anambra Region, east of the River Niger and beyond.

Shortly after his birth, Nnebisi’s mother took him back to Nteje. As young Nnebisi was growing up among his mother’s family he started noticing that he was being treated differently from everybody else around him. He also noticed that there were certain things he was not allowed to do. When he inquired why; he was told that it was because Nteje was not his true home town. So he immediately decided to embark on a journey to find out his true home. Nnebisi embarked on this legendary search for the lost ‘Father Land’ on a narrow long boat and an herbal medicine pot – a charm given to him by a village medicine man in Nteje. This medicine was supposed to guard him and guarantee his safe arrival to his purported homeland. Nnebisi was supposed to carry this pot on his head and this magical pot was supposed to fall off Nnebisi’s Head at the site of his ancestral homeland.

The pot fell and crashed at the present day Cable point off the shores of the River Niger by the great Onishe rocks – a shrine of the mythical goddess – the Onishe of Ahaba. Ahaba was an exclamation and an Ibo phrase ‘Ahabam!’In Igbo language, it means ‘ I have appropriately chosen’. This is where Ahaba got its name. The name Was later changed to Asaba during the British colonial occupation of Nigeria. Nnebisi Married two wives and his household flourished to absorb the household of the other earlier settlers. He had three

Children with his first wife, Ujom: Onne (male) Ezeumune (male) and Ojife (female). His second wife also had a son called Iyagba. Iyagba’s offspring’s were part of the lost seed.

Eze anyanwu, Ugboma, Odikpe and Obodo Achala were all part of the original settlers In Ahaba. The others are the 5 grandsons Of Nnebisi – Ezenei, Ugbomanta, Agu, Ajaji and Onaje in that order.

All created the Original 9 quarters in Ahaba – “Ahaba ebo ite’nani “The Five grandsons of Nnebisi will later grow to absorb most of the earlier settlers and therefore make up the present Five quarters In Asaba.

About Asaba
Advertise
Business Directory
Contact Us
Contribute to Asaba
Events
Categories
Locations
My Bookings
Forum
List Events
Photos
CELEBRATING A ROYAL ICON AT 90: Obi (Prof) Joseph Chike Edozien [The Asagba of Asaba]
Flood wreaks havoc in Asaba, homes, offices submerged
Wake Keeping and Celebration of Life for Ogbueshi Joe Nkadi
Asaba Airport downgraded – declared unsafe for passengers
Celebrating the life of Ogbueshi Ike Femi Onyia
Why I want to be the governor of Delta State, by Hon. Victor Ochei
2015: Delta should be ruled by the best – Okocha
Delta low cost civil servants’ housing estate gulps N614.9m
Anioma National
Asaba Memorial Project
Asaba National Association, USA
FCE(T) Asaba
Go Naira
Nigerian Events
Nigerian Funny
NigerianNet
Nollywood Secrets
SPC Asaba cc hensben and other doubting Thomases.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
An open mind is a virtue!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo Shocks Nigerians, Says ‘I Did Not Tear My PDP Membership Card’ / Former PDP Chairman, 1051 Officials Defect To APC In Yobe / Domestic Violence: Ondo Deputy Gov's Wife Narrates Ordeal (Must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.