Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL (18844 Views)

1.5L, 1.8L, 3.0L Engine? What Do They Mean In Cars? / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / 1000km Journey Using A 1.5L Petrol Engine Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 8:00pm On Nov 05, 2015
I I done close to 660km, I am currently at guagalada in Abuja, that's where I will pass the night and continue tomorrow. The car really tried for me, so I have to let it rest, besides, I couldn't keep up with most cars on the way and I am travelling alone, those Hiace are damn fast but the Hilux I met on the way are speed demon, also the old model nissan 1.4 and 1.6slx didn't make things easier, those drivers are just damn to fast.

I can't pass 3rpm because any higher and I enter pot hole, it could spell doom and burst tire. will continue tomorrow when I will be able to see

Also 3 minites silence for part of my exhaust which I lost at Akoko (very dangerous route) and 2minutes silence for my wheel cover which I lost at lagos ibadan expressway, 3 out of 4 were lost.

3 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Fogman(m): 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

I never touched the bread, ate only the Akara and am ok, I don't know where I went wrong but I lost the way so far that I even entered akure town. The roads were not kind to me

Sorry for the miss road. Please next trip equip yourself with a navigator. Will be helpful.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Fogman(m): 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

I never touched the bread, ate only the Akara and am ok, I don't know where I went wrong but I lost the way so far that I even entered akure town. The roads were not kind to me

Sorry for the miss road. Please next time, equip yourself with a navigator. Will be helpful.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by DGD1(m): 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

yuh miss road no b small,
from where yuh bought Akara it's left yuh should av taken, in abt an hour yuh would b in akure(roadblock) den proceed straight to owo b4 yuh turn left too akungba.
any ways yuh just did touring!
safe bruh

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:
I I done close to 660km, I am currently at guagalada in Abuja, that's where I will pass the night and continue tomorrow. The car really tried for me, so I have to let it rest, besides, I couldn't keep up with most cars on the way and I am travelling alone, those Hiace are damn fast but the Hilux I met on the way are speed demon, also the old model nissan 1.4 and 1.6slx didn't make things easier, those drivers are just damn to fast.

I can't pass 3rpm because any higher and I enter pot hole, it could spell doom and burst tire. will continue tomorrow when I will be able to see
well sone bro. Gwagwalada sha, u never enter Abuja. But it will be more easier now. Lagos-Abuja is very far on its own.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 8:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
DGD1:

yuh miss road no b small,
from where yuh bought Akara it's left yuh should av taken, in abt an hour yuh would b in akure(roadblock) den proceed straight to owo b4 yuh turn left too akungba.
any ways yuh just did touring!
safe bruh

at that mania filling station where I bought food I asked for akure I guess that's my mistake, I should have asked for owo instead

2 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 05, 2015
You may even have to start the journey tommorow by 10. Roads there to the north are too smooth.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 8:09pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fogman:

Sorry for the miss road. Please next time, equip yourself with a navigator. Will be helpful.

Navigator, I had two form of direction, a sketch I made myself using Google maps and a tab equip with sygic but I don't think you wanna use it on bad roads infested with craters with crazy drivers surrounding you
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Fogman(m): 8:10pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

Also 3 minites silence for part of my exhaust which I lost at Akoko (very dangerous route) and 2minutes silence for my wheel cover which I lost at lagos ibadan expressway, 3 out of 4 were lost.

Over 60% of the journey is done, you are almost there. Please dont make attempt to compete with the Hummer bus drivers, it is the route they apply daily and they knows pros and cons of the road. Reason it is unwise to compete with them. It is better to arrive in peace than in pieces! Journeys mercy bro.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by DGD1(m): 8:17pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

at that mania filling station where I bought food I asked for akure I guess that's my mistake, I should have asked for owo instead

If yuh asked for akure, d person who directed yuh would av told yuh to just go straight (actually mean yuh turn by the left inward the round about) .
there is always a 1st tym, yuh won't make the mistake next time.
sorry 4 d wheel covers, try buying clip (#70) to hold dem next tym.
don't be intimidated by doz hiace buses and hilux, it's because it's ur 1st time, it happened to me in 2011 when I 1st drove to abuja, now I dust dem well.(not all bt most, some of them have death wish)

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
Wia u don reach.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:12pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

Tales of a learner.

Guy this is how to play the game, put a car moving at your desired speed in front, keep a distance and when him dodge pothole you follow dodge, when him enter "koto" you dodge, in future zip your wheel covers to your rims on Nigerian roads, or remove them before the journey. As for the exhaust, that one don tey wey e wan fall, just waiting for the right moment.

Weldon. The rest of the journey is a straight road without any incidents, I'll advice you keep a light foot if not you will damage your engine.

Lastly when you fall into a pothole, let go of the brakes!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by king406(m): 9:12pm On Nov 05, 2015
Sorry for all the bad happenings Nurey. . Tomorrow is Friday and most people working in abuja with their families living in kaduna or kano will be leaving for the weekend tomorrow.. u will meet faster drivers that go up to 180kmph and above these are also drivers that know the road at the back of their mind, they follow that road weekly so they know where most portholes are.. but that starts from 12 noon till dusk! Abj to kd expressway is good, only has a few portholes but beware of zaria to kano expressway, the places where are good are good but the places that are bad are horrible. So I suggest u leave abuja by at least 9am if u don't want to encounter those speedsters.. the road tends to be full by noon, and also, don't follow the kaduna bypass, follow through the city, the bypass has excess portholes and traffic, there are no portholes in the city and very less traffic! I also suggest that u dont follow jere/bwari expressway, follow suleija! Due to the small engine capacity of ur car, u wont enjoy the hilly and sharp bends nature of the jere expressway. I suppose your car has less that 100hp. No hard feelings.. Safe journey!

5 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by edoyad(m): 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2015
grin grin
This guy reminds me of my 1st and only time too. I left Lagos by 12:30 pm and by the time I arrived akoko ikare, with various delays I met on the express, It was dark. Unfortunately I had to spend the night there because I also had a damaged exhaust- besides I don't travel at night.
The next day, about 6am was the beginning of big problem for me. The only guy who could. weld my exhaust at that time so I could start early was a gate maker, who welded exhausts too. The sucker was used to welding older model cars and thought it was the same for my 2006 toyota.
Without taking off the battery heads he proceeded to weld the exhaust with electricity thereby completely damaging my brain box. The car didn't kick again after that which meant I had to continue the journey on a bus . So painful.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by kingreign(m): 9:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
Nurey, sorry bro, you've tried.. From that Oduduwa university, there's a diversion you ought to have taken to cut out Akure.

No try compete with all other cars/vehicles on the road pls. Don't step on brakes into potholes na suicide stunts be that. Instead step on the brakes and let go of the brakes as before you enter potholes... Don't rush to accelerate like a mad rabid dog on the pothole infested roads. As for the second phase of your journey, its a smooth road ahead, but.... Mad drivers with death wish lurking around them especially after 1pm when rushing for jumaat or rushing to Kaduna, Kano etc. Don't compete with them, maintain a steady easy speed. Don't rev hard at the engine or else you might end the journey abruptly with a catastrophic engine blow out.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by IdaraCHODB(m): 2:38am On Nov 06, 2015
nurey:
I I done close to 660km, I am currently at guagalada in Abuja, that's where I will pass the night and continue tomorrow. The car really tried for me, so I have to let it rest, besides, I couldn't keep up with most cars on the way and I am traveling alone, those Hiace are damn fast but the Hilux I met on the way are speed demon, also the old model nissan 1.4 and 1.6slx didn't make things easier, those drivers are just damn to fast.

The first time i attempted this kind of stunt, I consulted Google Maps, and listed all the cities I must pass through on a piece of paper, and stopped to ask questions when there were no signage on the road that could guide me (and you must admit, that Nigeria needs a lot of work in this regard because there are places in this world where with just road signage, you can get to your destination without having to stop to ask for directions).

It is better to stop to ask for directions, than miss your way or take a longer route or even a dangerous route. Time is an extremely important resource for a long distance driver, use it do not waste it!

In any case, I used to call myself master of dancing around potholes until I lost those two tires above around 7.45pm one night close to Auchi while rushing to ensure that I got to Abuja before 12 midnight sometime ago, needless to say, I decided there are then, that it was extremely unsafe to attempt to complete the journey at such a time because if not for reduced visibility, I am used to making my way around potholes without sacrificing tires or wheels. My point is: You took the best decision of your life by stopping to sleep at Gwagwalada rather than insist on completing the journey the same day. Reduced visibility, blinding lights from trucks, unfamiliar potholes, even all sorts of diversions and traffic calming measure without appropriate/adequate warnings and men of the underworld could conspire to frustrate you! Night driving is an entirely different cup of tea in Nigeria's dark interstate routes!!

It would not make sense to drive at the speed of those who know the road inside out, but rest assured by the time you have done this round trip twice or thrice, you might be on your way to driving like they do.

Which part of the exhaust did you lose? I believe you should start early, as early as 0600 to 0630. But do not forget to do a coolant and oil level check before you set off.

Journeying mercies.

2 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by IdaraCHODB(m): 2:43am On Nov 06, 2015
edoyad:
grin grin
This guy reminds me of my 1st and only time too. I left Lagos by 12:30 pm and by the time I arrived akoko ikare, with various delays I met on the express, It was dark. Unfortunately I had to spend the night there because I also had a damaged exhaust- besides I don't travel at night.
The next day, about 6am was the beginning of big problem for me. The only guy who could. weld my exhaust at that time so I could start early was a gate maker, who welded exhausts too. The sucker was used to welding older model cars and thought it was the same for my 2006 toyota.
Without taking off the battery heads he proceeded to weld the exhaust with electricity thereby completely damaging my brain box. The car didn't kick again after that which meant I had to continue the journey on a bus . So painful.

Seriously, sorry in arrears, can you imagine all the unwarranted expenses, thank goodness my first time was not that bad! Reminds me of when I lost a transmission and had to park the car somewhere safe and complete the journey in a bus, I felt so humiliated smiley
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by IdaraCHODB(m): 2:48am On Nov 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Tales of a learner.

Guy this is how to play the game, put a car moving at your desired speed in front, keep a distance and when him dodge pothole you follow dodge, when him enter "koto" you dodge, in future zip your wheel covers to your rims on Nigerian roads, or remove them before the journey. As for the exhaust, that one don tey wey e wan fall, just waiting for the right moment.

Weldon. The rest of the journey is a straight road without any incidents, I'll advice you keep a light foot if not you will damage your engine.

Take this advice very seriously. Follow too closely and you are guaranteed to lose your tire(s), or wreck your suspension because you don't have enough time to judge the pothole and determine the best course of action, you just drive through it and it punishes you as it pleases, happened to me on one of the notorious pothole infested roads in Niger State as I was rushing back to Abuja around 1830 hours from Bida, I lost a tire, it is not fun to stop to change a tire on a lonely road at night or on a busy expressway in the day time

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by lonelydora: 5:38am On Nov 06, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Avoid potholes with all your life! I entered one once and lost two tires as well as bent a steel rim in one fell swoop, but thank God it did nothing to the alloy rim, front left and front rear.

Ever since then, I will rather crawl in and out than fly through them.

My advice for any pothole infested road like the ibadan route and the okene route is keep speeds below 80 km/hr so you can maneuver, once you meet sleek routes you can speed up to compensate for lost time, its better than having to stop your journey entirely.

I should have told you this, but I was too busy, for my first such trip, I carried not one but two spare tires, it makes sense, because should you lose a tire on the road, the roadside vulcanizer can charge you as much as 5,000.00 to 10,000.00 for a used tire and since you are out of luck, you might have to patronize him afterall

I do the bolded whenever I prep to go on a route I'm not conversant with.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by lonelydora: 5:53am On Nov 06, 2015
nurey:

At the bolded
1. It's Gwagwalada. I know it may be a typo error.

2. I'm sure you testified to those Hiace and Hilux on Lokoja - Abuja route. I LOVE that stretch like Xmas rice. That's where I usually test the power of any car I'm driving. You will surely love me on that stretch in my 3.0 V6 Accord.

Nurey, thank God you have arrived Gwagwalada. Please take all the advice above because once it's 12 noon the road starts getting busy. Surely you will meet dare devil drivers on Abuja to Kaduna even with all the potholes here and there. Don't compete with any driver on white kaftan, they are probably rushing to meet up with jummat prayers (just for jokes). But all the same, the roads are smoother than where you have covered. Safe journey brother.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by adanny01(m): 7:55am On Nov 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Tales of a learner.

You are absolutely right, there are drivers who know these roads like the back of their palms. All i do is keep a very safe distance and where they slow down i have to. The only thing is that its hard to keep up especially with a less powerful car.

Although, never ever follow a Luxurious bus. Their shocks is something else and they can lead one to a death trap. Their axle is wider too, so they can put a deadly pot hole under them and a small car will never come out safe.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 9:29am On Nov 06, 2015
I am now @ zaria, left gwagwalada @ after 4 in the morning, and followed a ford transit all the way till after 6 when it was bright, the ford guy really tried for me, I don't know but he helped with signals just to caution me on the road, Double pointer meaning the road is extremely dangerous and one single pointer to alert me to move to an extreme side to avoid craters on the road.

I had an engine knock at zaria, how it happened I don't know. The mechanic is checking says it's rolling but not fully rolling. worst case is they will cut another crank something.

I forgot and was negligent about things I only concentrated on the temperature guage didn't even check whether the oil was guage or not, but I am glad it happened right infront of a mechanic workshop in zaria. I have low Ba3 now, will update when all is done possibly tomorrow

Thank You all stay tuned

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:32am On Nov 06, 2015
nurey:
I am now @ zaria, left gwagwalada @ after 4 in the morning, and followed a ford transit all the way till after 6 when it was bright, the ford guy really tried for me, I don't know but he helped with signals just to caution me on the road, Double pointer meaning the road is extremely dangerous and one single pointer to alert me to move to an extreme side to avoid craters on the road.

I had an engine knock at zaria, how it happened I don't know. The mechanic is checking says it's rolling but not fully rolling. worst case is they will cut another crank something.

I forgot and was negligent about things I only concentrated on the temperature guage didn't even check whether the oil was guage or not, but I am glad it happened right infront of a mechanic workshop in zaria. I have low Ba3 now, will update when all is done possibly tomorrow

Thank You all stay tuned

I don't know what to say.

2 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by kingreign(m): 9:56am On Nov 06, 2015
nurey:

Thank You all stay tuned

Jerez cry how come na..... This is one hell of a journey you never bargained for.

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 10:02am On Nov 06, 2015
kingreign:

Jerez cry how come na..... This is one hell of a journey you never bargained for.

I don't know but it short oil and everything went kabooeeeh, waiting for the mechanic to give his verdict before I start counting my loses
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by lonelydora: 10:09am On Nov 06, 2015
Choi........sorry, kpele, ndoo, saanu. We are waiting.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:19am On Nov 06, 2015
nurey:

Thank You all stay tuned

Am sorry for what you have had to pass through indeed, no oil or low oil, no coolant or low coolant, blown tires or no spare tire and you can never complete your journey! I just wish you had not moved without doing as I had advised at 2.38am I said then: But do not forget to do a coolant and oil level check before you set off!

I have had issues on the road twice, but my first five trips went as planned. I pray your next trip goes well, provided you do a thorough and comprehensive check and your engine and transmission are in top shape I know that it will.

Let this not deter you from driving cross-country, it is an extremely refreshing, rewarding and educational experience.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by kingreign(m): 10:22am On Nov 06, 2015
nurey:

I don't know but it short oil and everything went kabooeeeh, waiting for the mechanic to give his verdict before I start counting my loses

Oil shortage... cry cry cry
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:23am On Nov 06, 2015
You drove 660km on a rebulit engine and didnt check oil?

Let me give you a summary and future of that engine.

There is no future!!!

Mech can patch up the crankshaft and have the bearings replaced, but it will still knock again in a very short time. Just think of getting a new engine.

Saying I'm disappointed in your preventive maintenance skills is putting it mildly, if I had a cane near you I would give you 12lashes angry

8 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:34am On Nov 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

There is no future!!!

Mech can patch up the crankshaft and have the bearings replaced, but it will still knock again in a very short time. Just think of getting a new engine.

Saying I'm disappointed in your preventive maintenance skills is putting it mildly, if I had a cane near you I would give you 12lashes angry

Cut your losses! Get another engine. Its an i4, they can drop the old and put in the new same-day!

I know you read the thread on the overheated Camry, to drive a rebuilt engine that long and not do an oil check the next day was not the most rational decision.

I will not bash you, but I would advise, a sage has spoken, and my personal experience is do not bet your life on a rebuilt engine unless you know for sure that the mechanic does not cut corners, and that is not the case here! You don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, the cost of towing on a highway begins at around 50,000.00 that money had better be spent towards acquisition of a new engine!
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 10:51am On Nov 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

There is no future!!!

I will accept all you have said. You have done well by not keeping quiet and giving me the best advice because someday, the car will still need to head back to lagos I doubt if a rebuilt engine can go that distance. I will start saving up for a new engine and dispose the car I wish this hadn't happened I was about to upgrade to another ride.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by adanny01(m): 11:23am On Nov 06, 2015
nurey:

Thank You all stay tuned

Ah aw!

If you knew, a new engine in lag would hv been cheaper. Too bad that you have to experrience this.

Consider your options well as Kano is a stone throw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Am More Afraid Of Road Safety Than Police And Army. / Bentley Unveils The World’s First Luxury Hybrid SUV With 31mile Plug-in Range / 15 Awesome Toyota Facts You Have To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.