Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch (29751 Views)

BREAKING!! Buhari Receives Heavy Knocks In EU Parliament Over Biafra (see Video) / Olisah Metuh Offers To Return N400m, Pledges Support For Anti-Corruption War- SR / Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Business Slows Down For Charter Airlines (Punch) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Pelupelu: 10:06am On Oct 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Good morning sir! Yes, I don wake up....

I salute you from all sides.

Buharist defined politics as the collection of money for campaign purposes from the rich(corrupt) and votes from the poor (disgruntled) masses with a promised to protect the former from the later.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by godox2(m): 10:07am On Oct 31, 2015
Enahi:
Buhari is here to do business and God will purnish him, he will die a rotten death.

I know the type of business he is doing because his CPC party has a percentage in APC, so he is scheming to weaken the PDP.

Useless almajiri want to control everything.

Are you sure you want God to punish you Leader and he should die? Do you believe in God? Is that what your faith (Religion) teaches you? Where were you when the so called almajiri was elected? Do you have a voters card? Think and re-visit your post.
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by godwin120alex: 10:09am On Oct 31, 2015
D execute more projects in media dan in reality lol
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by IAMTHEHERO: 10:09am On Oct 31, 2015
Dataconnect:
This guy is a thief,pls disregard him.He has the other monicker as data guy. Please moderators take note. l ordered for I G,till today both the money and the bundle l have not seen.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by walozanga(m): 10:11am On Oct 31, 2015
ckayman:
I don't understand all these allegation here and there after some people already know Fashola and co will be nominated for minister. I think some of the people should have started these allegation for long and not now. Some people just want Misunderstanding between the President and the people who support him all along, just for their advantage. Sai Baba, go on and make Nigeria proud.

Sorry for ur life?

4 Likes

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by jaybee(f): 10:12am On Oct 31, 2015
IBBG:
one comment for Nigerians, don't be gullible during elections

.... but be gullible after elections!

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by ril19(m): 10:13am On Oct 31, 2015
It's A Pity To We The Innocent Masses That The Very Idea Of Leadership And Governance Has Been Lost Completely In Nigeria.

All They Do Is Enrich Themselves. Every Governor Wants To Be Another Dangote
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by godox2(m): 10:14am On Oct 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Boss mi, I de o. How you de?

#Jesus Loves You
I de FYN bross, make we keep the light burning pls. We shall reach the other side IJN.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Orikinla(m): 10:22am On Oct 31, 2015
If anyone has a proven case of corruption against any person or company, publish the facts and not rumours. Sue the corrupt person or company to court and stop harassing President Muhammadu Buhari and going to the press over unfounded allegations. Harass the Nigerian police, EFCC and ICPC and not the President whose administration has appointed and assigned law enforcement agencies to fight corruption. Anti-corruption activists in Nigeria make more noise than sense. And many of them are corrupt NGOs collecting foreign grants to enrich themselves. How many of them attack corrupt employers of Nigerian workers? How many of them defend the rights of poor Nigerians; cheated, exploited and even injured by corrupt employers and others?

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by greatcrown: 10:26am On Oct 31, 2015
If only the Otuoke prince had probed corrupt APC members then by now we would be jumping up as GMB concludes the probe.

Anyway after APC 4 years; PDP or any other serious party can come onboard to probe all them that wear the toga of untouchable.

All these people you are asking GMB to probe could be probe because probing will expose GMB to ridicule because he also guilty by association.

So let's just enjoy the current probing and hope that justice will be served while we look forward to another party in the nearest future to conclude the probing.
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by baralatie(m): 10:27am On Oct 31, 2015
HonSuQMaDIQ:
As President Muhammadu Buhari’s fight against corruption continues, anti-graft agencies struggle to convince Nigerians that it is not selective, GBENRO ADEOYE writes

Many Nigerians have come to the realisation that corruption is a major challenge standing between the country and a good life for the citizens, hence their support for President Muhammadu Buhari, who many have dubbed as the “new sheriff in town”.

The administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan was largely derided by the public for its perceived failure in fighting corruption. The former President’s body language towards graft was often described in the media as permissive. The posture and antecedents of Buhari, a former military head of state, gave Nigerian masses the picture of a new sheriff coming on board to clean up the mess of past administrations.

His inaugural speech, in which he stated that he belonged to “everybody” and to “nobody” also endeared the President to some Nigerians, who were initially unsure of what to make of a septuagenarian president with dictatorial tendencies.

One thing is sure though, if the work of anti-graft agencies in Nigeria is in tandem with the President’s body language, then it can be said that Buhari’s body speaks louder than that of his predecessor, as anti-graft agencies like the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, have suddenly been spurred into action.

However, about five months into Buhari’s government, some analysts have already concluded that his body seems to be speaking a language different from that of his utterances.

While Buhari’s utterances avow that there would be no sacred cow in his war against corruption, the country’s anti-graft agencies have been perceived to be selective.

One of such persons is the Executive Chairman of the Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders, Mr. Debo Adeniran, whose organisation has petitioned the EFCC, ICPC, the President and Senate President alleging corruption and financial misappropriation against former Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, and a former Ogun State Commissioner for Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, both of who made Buhari’s list of ministerial nominees.

Adeniran told our correspondent that he had reasons to believe that while the President’s anti-corruption war has been going after some people, Buhari has been protecting persons like Fashola and Adeosun from the arms of the law.

A former Rivers State Governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi; and a former Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, also made Buhari’s ministerial nominees’ list in spite of several petitions written to various anti-graft agencies against them.

Meanwhile, some others including Senate President Bukola Saraki; his wife, Toyin; a former Kebbi State Governor, Saidu Dakingari; his wife, Zainab; a former Akwa Ibom State Governor, Senator Godswill Akpabio; a former Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, have all been questioned by anti-corruption agencies.

“We have started writing petitions against Fashola to the EFCC and the ICPC since 2010,” Adeniran said.

“We have written about six or seven petitions and each time we wrote to the EFCC, we also wrote to the ICPC because the allegations concern both agencies. Recently, we sent a summary of our petitions to these agencies to the President for him to know what had been going on, so that he would be able to instruct the agencies to work on them. But he chose to nominate them as ministers.

“So till now, we believe that the President is interfering with the process of investigating Fashola and Adeosun, his nominee from Ogun State, who has a lot of corruption baggage hanging on her neck from her days as the Commissioner for Finance in the state. Buhari didn’t seem to have given credence to any of the allegations when he was nominating them.”

CACOL’s allegations against Fashola and Adeosun include corruption, misappropriation of public funds and contract inflation.

Adeniran has however threatened to sue the anti-graft agencies for their failure to investigate the duo based on the petitions against them.

In the same vein, a pressure group in Rivers State, The Integrity Group, wrote to a petition to the President, accusing Amaechi of N70bn fraud.

The group accused Amaechi and other functionaries of his administration of ‘’corruption, criminal breach of trust, unlawful enrichment and conversion of over N70bn state resources.”

Among other allegations, the former Governor was accused of fraudulent sale of Rivers State power assets and conversion of proceeds amounting to N60.48bn and unlawful enrichment of Messrs Collect Solutions (Nig.) Limited with public funds to the tune of N1.56bn.

Also, a Justice George Omereji-led Judicial Commission of Inquiry, which was recently set up by the Rivers State Government to look into the sale of valued assets belonging to the state, found Amaechi and some others responsible for misappropriating state funds to the tune of N97bn.

But there are no indications that Amaechi has been invited for questioning by the any of the anti-corruption agencies.

On September 29, 2014, a group, Save Ekiti Coalition, alleged that Fayemi misappropriated N20bbn as Ekiti State Governor in a petition it sent to the EFCC and the ICPC.

The petition, which was signed by the group’s secretary, Mr. Oke Ayodele, called for Fayemi’s investigation and prosecution, but there has been no record that the former governor has been called for questioning by any of the agencies.

Fashola, Amaechi, and Fayemi all contributed in various ways to Buhari’s success at the poll and experts have described their ministerial nominations and perceived exclusion from the probe list of anti-graft agencies as the reward for their labour.

The former governor of Bayelsa State, Timipre Sylva, has been questioned by the EFCC over financial offences committed while in office between 2007 and 2011. But since Sylva’s defection from the PDP to the APC, the anti-graft agency seems to have slowed down its pace in prosecuting the former governor, allegedly because of his political strength in the party.

To reward Sylva for his loyalty to the APC, he emerged as the party’s governorship candidate in Bayelsa State.

A similar case to Sylva’s is that of former Kogi State Governor, Abubakar Audu, who also recently emerged as the APC governorship candidate in the state.

Audu is facing a 32-count charge which includes stealing, criminal breach of trust and misappropriation of public funds to the tune of about N11bn, but he was his party’s preferred candidate in spite of its anti-corruption war.

A lawyer and social commentator, Mr. Liborous Oshoma, described the situation as wrong, saying that the President has been employing double standard in his fight against corruption.

He said that anti-graft agencies under Buhari’s government have only been seen to acting on petitions against his political opponents and the like.

He said, “Everyone with allegations should be invited for questioning and those who are bringing the allegations should come to substantiate their petitions and if they are weighty, they should be taken before the appropriate authorities.

“Don’t act like some persons are the only people who are corrupt while the others are not. What that tells some of us is that we are not serious about fighting corruption.”

Meanwhile, the EFCC has acted on petitions filed by a lawyer, Mr. Leo Ekpenyong, against Akpabio, a prominent member of the Peoples Democratic Party, by inviting him for interrogation.

In the petition titled, ‘Petition against former Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State for gross and uncommon abuse of public trust’, Ekpenyoung accused Akpabio of diverting taxpayers’ money for personal use.

Before Akpabio’s invitation, operatives of the Department of State Services had in September 2015 searched the Akwa Ibom State House, in a move allegedly aimed at getting implicating evidence to link Akpabio to illegality.

Saraki is currently facing a 13-count charge of corruption and false declaration of asset at the Code of Conduct Tribunal in Abuja.

Although, he is a member of the APC following his defection from the PDP, his prosecution has largely been seen by the public as a witch-hunt for going against the dictates of his party to emerge as Senate President.

Recently, Dakingari, a PDP member, was arrested by the EFCC over allegations of misappropriating N3.8bn public fund. His wife, Zainab, was also accused of laundering N2bn for her husband.

However, the PDP through its National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, accused Buhari of making the corruption war selective, saying it was targeted at members of his party.

But while Adeniran was in support of the investigation of the likes of Saraki and Dakingari for corruption, he said that CACOL was against the selective anti-corruption war, which seems to be overlooking some other people accused of graft.

He said, “All along, we have been expecting that the President would act beyond rhetoric on some of the petitions that have been pending with the anti-corruption agencies.”

Adeniran said his organisation had sent not less than six petitions each to the EFCC and the ICPC without concrete outcome.

He said, “High ranking Lagos State officials were questioned and interrogated by the EFCC around 2012. The agency has said that it has a discreet report but this has not been made available to us.

“We have demanding that the agency should let the world know the outcome of its investigation, even if it is that Fashola is not guilty. We should know why the agency thinks that he is not guilty. All of the projects Fashola did were at very high costs that are unrealistic anywhere in the world.”

On Adeosun, Adeniran said CACOL had also written to the EFCC and the ICPC to draw their attention to the alleged inflation of the costs of purchasing some Armoured Personnel Carriers bought in Ogun State while she Commissioner for Finance.

He therefore described the alleged selective probe by the current administration as bad for the country’s development.

“We are dissatisfied with the way the anti-corruption war is being fought and we are afraid that we may not achieve anything better than what we had before Buhari assumed office.

“Most of the people he is bringing to work with him are noisemakers who execute more projects in the media than they do in reality.”

Oshoma also expressed concern about the President’s anti-corruption war, saying his hope that the war would be better in Buhari’s had been dashed.

“We had expected a holistic approach but what we see is a far cry from that, so I’m not impressed with all of these gimmicks to fight corruption,” he said.

“When Saraki was charged before the code of conduct tribunal, I was one of those who said that he should step aside and answer to those charges and clear his name. In the same vein, I maintain that if a former governor, senator or any other person has a petition against him, irrespective of how spurious or irrelevant it is, it should be looked into and a conclusion must be reached.

“The world has moved beyond the argument that people can hold political positions once they have not been convicted. Where we are now is that if there are allegations hanging on your character, you should go and clear yourself before you hold any political office.”

Source: http://punchng.com/2015/10/2757
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Angelovic96: 10:29am On Oct 31, 2015
HerexG:
The blood of the kworrupt fiffle they hunted will also hunt down and even bury the untouched kworrupt fiffle in their government, and the blood of innocent Nigerians would judge them all.

Amen

AMEN
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 31, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
pdp is worst than a scam, ur clueless corrupt gej were protecting both pdp and apc criminals, every single soul in pdp are corrupt plus few apc, what stop efcc under gej to witch hunt his opponent like sylva and prince audu, if every govt witch hunt their opponent, fight against corruption wil be half solve, plssssss my PMB, witch hunt everyone in pdp both d saint and d devil.
U Stoopid ooo! u better recieve sense,,,

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by princejtb4real(m): 10:38am On Oct 31, 2015
bonechamberlain:
buhari is not in control of this govt, some extremist are the ones telling the efcc where to shoot.

make no mistake buhari is also corrupt.
OBJ it explains why dia was no EFCC wen GEJ & OBJ misunderstood over subsidy wey OBJ dey chop...wise up 9ja
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Enahi(f): 10:48am On Oct 31, 2015
godox2:

Are you sure you want God to punish you Leader and he should die? Do you believe in God? Is that what your faith (Religion) teaches you? Where were you when the so called almajiri was elected? Do you have a voters card? Think and re-visit your post.

APC used my voters card to vote for Buhari and Ambode, because I wasn't given my voter's card and I know a lot of people that didn't get theirs. If we were to investigate the elections Nigerians will find out it was rigged. Anyway the idiott should do and get out, I knew he wasn't going to bring any positive change. He is even worse than I thought, few people I know are regretting voting for him.

I don't hate Buhari but I will not support a two faced Buhari, fighting corruption my foot.
I expected to see great changes I the power sector by now but the useless thing is busy snapping pictures everywhere.
He so fucking irritates me right now.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:49am On Oct 31, 2015
PRYCE:
"Fullness Of Time"? This government's a joke My brother!
Jokocracy... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by 400billionman: 11:02am On Oct 31, 2015
The current fight against corruption is a JOKE..

GOD save this country..

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 31, 2015
wachakuta:
If u r a serious Nigerian and u what make e better for dis Con3... Never take d PUNCH and VANGUARD news serious...

They now pick their stories from twitter n facebook

Do you want to say you've not heard bout these allegations outside Punch Newspaper or Vanguard?

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 31, 2015
omenka:
Let it be selective, what's important is that the job is being done.

By the time Baba is done hunting down his perceived witches, the next admin comes in and does same and we have a succession of witches hunting governments, before you know it, Nigeria would become a country devoid of witches.

At least by that time, we wouldn't have Witches and Wizards endorsing presidential candidates like they did Jonathan anymore.

Baba has my support in this glorious campaign 100%!!

A job that is not done thoroughly is not done.

2 Likes

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Pidggin(f): 11:17am On Oct 31, 2015
TruthisGOD:
Try to be reasonable here, when he is done with fighting corruption and manipulating the judicary so that his party will control most states, there won't be any opposition party again where the masses will fall to checkmate them and i dont see him fighting corruption against his party members. When this is achievied, there will be only one political party, even if you later see them as corrupt, you ve no choice bt to vote for them. If u don't they will still win cos the now ve the system under their control. You will only have an oppostion party when the members of (Apc) not the masses start getting tired of the party due to their selfish interest jst like PDP. The system will keep on moving in cycle and the masses keep suffering. I pity this country.

2 Likes

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Bgorgeous: 11:20am On Oct 31, 2015
Buhari said he will not work with corrupt Pple not persons blackmailed to be corrupt
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by onatisi(m): 11:24am On Oct 31, 2015
HonSuQMaDIQ:
The scales are gradually falling off their eyes cheesy
Dem never see anything by January ppl will hear am wella
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by omolami: 11:27am On Oct 31, 2015
Buhari condones corruption. He once said Abacha never stole Buhari and corruption are one. Buhari is the most corrupt being in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by godox2(m): 11:41am On Oct 31, 2015
Enahi:

APC used my voters card to vote for Buhari and Ambode, because I wasn't given my voter's card and I know a lot of people that didn't get theirs. If we were to investigate the elections Nigerians will find out it was rigged. Anyway the idiott should do and get out, I knew he wasn't going to bring any positive change. He is even worse than I thought, few people I know are regretting voting for him.

I don't hate Buhari but I will not support a two faced Buhari, fighting corruption my foot.
I expected to see great changes I the power sector by now but the useless thing is busy snapping pictures everywhere.
He so fucking irritates me right now.
Sorry about the card, do you believe that one day you will be the president of our great country? If yes, what will you do if you were handed over the country, the way it was handed over to PMB, bearing in mind that, Nig Economy is largely depnding on oil, the oil price crashed to one third of what it use to be, left virtually empty treasury, deliberately, by your predesasor and co, for you to fail and all other Economic damages as inherited by PMB? I just want to have an idea of, how you can achieve those goals you set for PMB within this period.
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by rukkyland(m): 11:46am On Oct 31, 2015
let he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone.
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 31, 2015
buhari is not living up to expectation.

2 Likes

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by banio: 12:01pm On Oct 31, 2015
Buhari, in an interview granted NTA & Channels TV in India, says He worked with people to be a President. So the people he does know, or have not even met in his life, to be shouting that those that brought him to power are corrupt is UNACCEPTABLE
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by banio: 12:03pm On Oct 31, 2015
Nigeria MUST grow economically.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by ODUBEZE: 12:17pm On Oct 31, 2015
As far as I am concerned, Buhari has failed in the anti corruption war. Let him face other important issues such as the economy that is nose diving please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by MRSALT: 12:20pm On Oct 31, 2015
godox2:

Sorry about the card, do you believe that one day you will be the president of our great country? If yes, what will you do if you were handed over the country, the way it was handed over to PMB, bearing in mind that, Nig Economy is largely depnding on oil, the oil price crashed to one third of what it use to be, left virtually empty treasury, deliberately, by your predesasor and co, for you to fail and all other Economic damages as inherited by PMB? I just want to have an idea of, how you can achieve those goals you set for PMB within this period.
Dear, I know you want to be patriotic and I believe that you are sincere in your analysis, honestly, a good leader is one who achieved a lot with a meagre resource. It has happened in many countries. I can only mention Singapore, Malaysia and South Korea. Our amiable president has no reason to fail if he had a good economic team and with the guts to fight corruption holistically.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by haryomikun(m): 12:21pm On Oct 31, 2015
Check my signature for DJ haywire's latest mixtape and for those who can't see it click on https://m.facebook.com/story.php? story_fbid=1681153945435947&id=1679939348890740
To see download link and tracklist Sorry I can't post it here. I might get banned
Trust me guys, you won't be disappointed wink
Re: Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch by ODUBEZE: 12:22pm On Oct 31, 2015
rukkyland:
let he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone.
so according to your assertion now corruption should be legalized.
Or did anybody force PMB to say he will fight corruption?
That was the major thing that brought him to power but he couldn't defeat it.
Corruption has defeated PMB

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sowore Counters Apc's Analyst Over Buhari's Chances In 2019 Presidential Electio / Dickson Appoints 35 Permanent Secretaries, APC Kicks / Lekki Massacre: All You Care About Is Tinubu – Aisha Yesufu Slams Lagos Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.