Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 (12383 Views)

I Need Help. My Toyota Camry 1999 Is Overheating / Would You Buy This Almost Brand New 1985 BMW 323i For N30m? (photos) / HELP!!!!! I Want To Buy 1999 Bmw 3 Serious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 02, 2015
Jakumo:

That is a sharp looking C Class Benz for sure, Egun Agba. Looking at Nigerian car sales websites, the C Class has for quite a few years dominated most other Benz sedan categories in terms of numbers of vehicles advertized, so it is safe to assume that this branch of the Mercedes family tree has been proven on Nigeria's moon-scape highways, and thus gained a reputation as a reliable road warrior.

Not being familiar with the C Class, I did a bit of online research, and it has remained a favourite over the years, right up until the present.

I had a chance to run audio wires into one of my 1991 190e and a 1999 C23K. As I took the cars interior apart I was just flabbergasted with the safety features in them in terms of welding jobs and steel used. Also pleasantly pleased with the amount of insulation that I has to remove before I reached metal surfaces.
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by redcliff: 10:04pm On Nov 03, 2015
Denn:
Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

A long name...202 BHP

Car by Benz, Engine by Cosworth

Autobahn eater

Translation: Expressway eater

Dayum!
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by brojero: 11:14am On Nov 04, 2015
This is a great thread! I too am building a collection of all the great Mercs of this era

Here's my W126, 500SE , currently being restored at home. Next up would be a W126 SEC or a W124 E500

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 04, 2015
brojero how were u able 3 lay ur hands on that classic W126 500E and are you restoring it overseas or in Nigeria and how are you able to get parts for the restoration job?
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by obiafam: 3:32pm On Nov 04, 2015
hello The MB gurus please i want to get my first baby and i want to go for MB C class but please advice me on the fuel consumption issue does it consume fuel as people do complain the model i want to buy is w203 180 or 200 i want the 4 cylinder machine i no the v6 runs more than but want to start small or w202 200 model .
please clear me about the fuel consumption and the maintenance of the rides.
thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Jakumo(m): 4:18pm On Nov 04, 2015
brojero:
This is a great thread! I too am building a collection of all the great Mercs of this era

Here's my W126, 500SE , currently being restored at home. Next up would be a W126 SEC or a W124 E500

Hey Brojero that is a very clean W126 you got there, and it is always good to hear from someone who appreciates the fact that Mercedes Benz most reliable production years did run from 1985 to 1999, with very few exceptions to the rule in either direction on the time scale.

As we speak, I am closely monitoring my hunting dogs from afar, as they ransack the hinterlands of Nigeria in search of automotive gold. Guided by the hounds' keen sense of smell, I now have my sights set on a 1992 R129 roadster that has been left out in the sun and the rain by an owner who has moved on to newer wheels, and MIGHT be in a mood to sell, if the price is right. While Mercedes R129 roadsters fitted with six-cylinder engines are quite common accross Nigeria, in various stages of disrepair, a clean V8 version of that car is as rare as chicken's teeth, which makes this particular find so special.

Given that the fabric convertible roofs of these old roadsters are notorious for their associated hydraulic leakage problems, my plan, if I land this prize, is to completely remove the rag top, along with all the hydraulics EXCEPT the lines that actuate the trunk ( boot ) release, and the retractable roll bar, since the bad-lands of Nigeria are NOT the place where one should be riding around in an open-top convertible, meaning that the metal roof will remain affixed permanently, if I do get to buy and drive this fine specimen of automotive engineering.
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by uboma(m): 6:06pm On Nov 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

And they have never changed their logos from inception if history serves me right grin

A gentlemanly answer as usual, thanks Brother.

You are so point.

Thank you Sir

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by ataspray(m): 10:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
what a beautiful thread! thanks op, its very refreshing to read thru!
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by brojero: 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
dumo1:
brojero how were u able 3 lay ur hands on that classic W126 500E and are you restoring it overseas or in Nigeria and how are you able to get parts for the restoration job?

I'm restoring the car in the UK. I got it off the person who bought it brand new, so I'm the 2nd owner.
Parts are not too difficult to find, either used parts or you can order them from the MB dealer. If they don't have them in stock, theyll ship them in from Germany. Main dealer parts are pricey though, but best for engine parts.
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by brojero: 10:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
Jakumo:

Hey Brojero that is a very clean W126 you got there, and it is always good to hear from someone who appreciates the fact that Mercedes Benz most reliable production years did run from 1985 to 1999, with very few exceptions to the rule in either direction on the time scale.

As we speak, I am closely monitoring my hunting dogs from afar, as they ransack the hinterlands of Nigeria in search of automotive gold. Guided by the hounds' keen sense of smell, I now have my sights set on a 1992 R129 roadster that has been left out in the sun and the rain by an owner who has moved on to newer wheels, and MIGHT be in a mood to sell, if the price is right. While Mercedes R129 roadsters fitted with six-cylinder engines are quite common accross Nigeria, in various stages of disrepair, a clean V8 version of that car is as rare as chicken's teeth, which makes this particular find so special.

Given that the fabric convertible roofs of these old roadsters are notorious for their associated hydraulic leakage problems, my plan, if I land this prize, is to completely remove the rag top, along with all the hydraulics EXCEPT the lines that actuate the trunk ( boot ) release, and the retractable roll bar, since the bad-lands of Nigeria are NOT the place where one should be riding around in an open-top convertible, meaning that the metal roof will remain affixed permanently, if I do get to buy and drive this fine specimen of automotive engineering.

That will be an excellent find if you can close the deal.

I remember a S600 Grosser Benz that was rusting away for many years on a car lot on Opebi road for most of the 90's. Used to belong to the late SB Bakare (or so I was told). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone bought that car and shipped it out to Europe or the states. Prices start at £60k to day, if you can find one
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Jakumo(m): 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
Here is a nice article in the British Examiner newspaper, alerting the world to the fact that the venerable W126 Mercedes S-Class flagship of the 1985 to 1991 era, known in Nigeria as the Shagari Benz, or the Concord Benz, is well on its way to becoming a classic automobile that commands big money from collectors. Get one NOW while prices are still low, and patiently fix it up, as market prices rise in the future.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-1981-91-mercedes-s-class-is-becoming-an-excellent-classic-car-investment-here-s-a-guide

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Jakumo(m): 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2015
Where there is a will, there will be relatives.

Buy your W126 Shagari-Concord Benz TODAY, and become a proud member of the WA-BENZI tribe.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Bizibi(m): 9:16am On Dec 14, 2015
Jakumo:
Next in my line of old school Merc icons is the SL500 R129 Roadster series, which ran from 1989 until 1999. I get serious wood just looking at these sleek interceptors, these road warrior vagabonds that STILL out-perform most "modern day" cars of similar capacity, with ease and panache.
this car is nice to drive and it is a monster on the road
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Bizibi(m): 9:19am On Dec 14, 2015
Denn:

A long name...202 BHP

Autobahn eater
this one was a headache for me,my worst merc car
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Bizibi(m): 9:19am On Dec 14, 2015
Denn:

A long name...202 BHP

Autobahn eater
this one was a headache for me then,my worst merc car
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by billy187(m): 12:36pm On Dec 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

It'll be a hard find to capture a Pullman in Nigeria because "Aiye Ti Laju" grin

In fact I found a few classic Harleys and Indian Chiefs in Nigeria and once I started trying to talk business with the old Man who owns them and he started mentioning eBay I knew right away there was no deal here to be struck and I wasn't disappointed grin The sad thing is that the bikes are still there 3 year later even more worse for the wear. But I found a GWagen that I will try to negotiate on though.

Another great car, not sure if you have mentioned it are the C36 and C43 of the 90's. A 1999 is still on my list in either Silver or Black. Their lowly junior Brother C230 with a Kompressor is not bad, I'v checked that off, but there's "no replacement for displacement" grin V8 > I4 or even V6 as it were.

Everytime it rains and I activate the wipers, I smile like a little boy at the wipers dance. That monoblade wiper what the Cats Meow when it was released. And no other road going car from any other manufacturer has ever used a monoblade since then. It is only found in F1 cars.

I wonder why they discontinued the monoblade....that was a thing of beauty!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Jakumo(m): 6:09pm On Dec 16, 2015
Bizibi:
this one was a headache for me then,my worst merc car

I agree, I never thought much of the Benz 190, BUT, the one in that picture above is on steroids, and belongs in a league of its own for sure.
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Jakumo(m): 8:29pm On Dec 21, 2015
One doesn't know whether to praise or protest these insane conversions of the venerable W126.

This is the sort of whimsical artistry that ensues when a car simply refuses to die for over one million miles.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by PapiWata: 12:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
Diariz God
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by olandofire(m): 9:38pm On Apr 27, 2016
Please can anyone tell me if this 1975 benz is worth investing in. I think its a 240D Lang Pullman (not too sure) and it needs a lot of work. I do not mind the work involved but I want to know what the car is worth. Waiting for your replies car experts in the house.

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by ataspray(m): 7:03pm On Apr 28, 2016
olandofire:
Please can anyone tell me if this 1975 benz is worth investing in. I think its a 240D Lang Pullman (not too sure) and it needs a lot of work. I do not mind the work involved but I want to know what the car is worth. Waiting for your replies car experts in the house.
hello where did u find this? let me help u check the car?
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by kingreign(m): 8:24pm On Apr 28, 2016
ataspray:
hello where did u find this? let me help u check the car?
chai sharp motion to claim the newly found treasure.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by ataspray(m): 8:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
kingreign:

chai sharp motion to claim the newly found treasure.
common what do u mean na stopeet i just want to be sure its first body and not salvage title or accidented in anyway grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by ataspray(m): 8:38pm On Apr 28, 2016
olandofire, on a more serious note, its not worth investing in, it will just keep draining u, dont listen to anyone telling u to buy it, u will regret it. pls tell me where it is, I am a video director and will love to use it for a vintage themed music video. I have sent u a pm.
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by kingreign(m): 8:47pm On Apr 28, 2016
ataspray:

common what do u mean na stopeet i just want to be sure its first body and not salvage title or accidented in anyway grin
na so. From there, you will want to know the owner/seller's number to tell him something, bank acct number and then... grin tongue
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by olandofire(m): 9:01pm On Apr 28, 2016
@ataspray, I actually don't know where the car is located. I would be coming back home later this year, so I told my uncle to get me a classic I can work on during my stay. He sent me this.
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by ataspray(m): 9:43pm On Apr 28, 2016
kingreign:

na so. From there, you will want to know the owner/seller's number to tell him something, bank acct number and then... grin tongue
come mike, respeck yasef o. stop this thing abeg
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by ataspray(m): 9:45pm On Apr 28, 2016
olandofire:
@ataspray, I actually don't know where the car is located. I would be coming back home later this year, so I told my uncle to get me a classic I can work on during my stay. He sent me this.
can i get your uncle's contact perhaps? can we talk privately please? is the car in lagos? I sent you a pm,check your mail.
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by kingreign(m): 5:41am On Apr 29, 2016
ataspray:
come mike, respeck yasef o. stop this thing abeg
okay sir cheesy
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by Kayharry(m): 11:27pm On Oct 12, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999 by nnadychuks(m): 8:26pm On Jan 03, 2021
landlordkonekt:
guys i have something to show benz 1979/80 still running on flat engine and well maintaind no body work since production till date thats 36 years old now, powerfull and still a gladiator on the our nigerian roads today. interested can call me 08085858279. it has to be an outstanding buy.
still available?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate / Pls Help Code P0773 Shift Solenoid "E" Malfunction. / States, FRSC To Share N12bn Proof Of Ownership Proceeds, Says Official

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.