Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,464 members, 7,854,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 09:55 AM

On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE (56146 Views)

Court Order Now Prerequisite For Release Of BVN - CBN / Oil Price Slides But Market Remains Cautious Over Nigerian Militants / Do Not Fall For These Scam!!!! ( Screen Shots) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Koolking(m): 11:01am On Nov 02, 2015
Most bank frauds are insiders' acts.

I went to my bank sometimes early this year to do a transaction. One of the key officers of the bank approached me and asked me to do him a favour - for him to pay a certain check to my account so that I could cash the money from my account and hand to him. I had to give him a piece of my mind as his intention was not new to me. I told him that was an attempt to commit fraud, that I was disappointed in him for his unspeakable idea. He hung his head in shame and hurriedly apologise and left.
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by kode12: 11:01am On Nov 02, 2015
I think the main resume the victim was scammed was because he wasn't really knowledgeable and paying attention to what was going on.You NEVER receve an OTP unless there's a transaction about to be carried out on your account,for your BVN to be linked all that could have been required is just the BVN Number itself and with just that not much could be done from the account.Anyways for this to be carried out the fraudsters need to have the Card No.Expiry Date,Control Number and Pin,so it most likely was done by someone the victim had given these details to in the past.It could even be the OP's daughter herself,you can't be too sure.

1 Like

Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by DipoDee: 11:03am On Nov 02, 2015
This is an inside job carried out by the IT guys in your bank. Just go to the bank and threaten them with a lawsuit, they will fish the culprits out.
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:03am On Nov 02, 2015
crowther15:
my question now is can fraudster rub one with his bvn? is just like ur account number... can they rub one via his acct no.? cos the scenario u just narrated to us now is still uncleared. they called him as customer care.... did they collect his pin or wht? wht was the details the holder of the acct divulge into fraudsters hand? pls this is unclear. OTP code was sent to him which he must confirm for the transaction to pave way.....did he call out the OTP code to d scammer?

Yes, he called out the OTP to the fraudsters. That's what the scammer used for the money transfer.

1 Like

Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 02, 2015
Only someone who has years of banking experience can pull off that.
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by delerx(m): 11:07am On Nov 02, 2015
Greenbuoy:
Won ti se kini yen fun boda Sunday.
.Arrest this guy,he's part of them. U dey use their slang
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by ken4jj(m): 11:10am On Nov 02, 2015
JAZES:
One of our readers sent this in and i think its very important that you all go through it so that you dont fall victim too because this is to real for someone not to fall victim. Kindly read below:

“From a friend……..Good morning
Please read this carefully, it may save you a few hundred, or a few thousand, or may be a few million bucks. It’s a personal experience, a true event that happened this afternoon. I am Sunday Adewole, I just fell victim of fraudsters a few hours ago. I am an account holder with StanbicIBTC bank, I am trying to put fund together to pay for my daughter’s tuition fee in CU in which case the institution already resumed last week. Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from somebody purportedly from StanbicIBTC who said “Am I speaking with Dr. Adewole” (called out my other names) to which I answered in the affirmative. He said he called in respect of my BVN which I was observed not to have done, I replied that I already had it done with Skye bank and he said the bank will send me a link so that my account with Stanbic will be linked with the BVN. True to our conversation, I receive a message from StanbicIBTC in which an OTP was sent to my phone. A few minutes later, he called to ask if I got the the SMS, I told him yes but I can’t do anything about it cos I was driving. He said no problem I should call out the numbers which I did and he thanked me for my cooperation in a customer service manner. I heard nothing since then till this afternoon at precisely 13:00 hrs when I received a SMS from StanbicIBTC informing me of a debit transaction which cleared my account to the lowest thousand, i.e. I was left with a paltry N685 (six hundred and eighty five naira). I called my account officer who confirmed to me that I have fallen victim of fraudsters and he checked up on my account and saw that the recipient acct is in First Bank. My puzzle is how did they get my account details? How were they able to generate an OTP to my phone. I am waiting to see what my bank would do on it. In the mean time, please be aware of what the 419 people can do. I’ll keep you posted on any new development.”
http://www.onlineleaks247.com/index.php/2015/11/02/on-going-bvn-scam-even-the-most-cautious-person-will-fall-for-this-one/

CC: lalasticlala
lala, kindly put this out there to keep people informed. Thanks

Did you subscribe for online banking? If yes, i think what happened is that the officer that enrolled you into the online banking got your password when doing it. When i wanted to enrol for online banking at StanbicIBTC, the person incharge wanted to do it for me and i refused, he now wanted me to do it on his computer and i refused. what is the big deal that i cannot do in registering my account for online banking i asked him. at the end of the day, i did it myself. If he did it for me and mistakenly grab the password i was entering into the system with that there sharp eyes, the only thing he needs to transfer money out of my account will be the OTP. So in your case, he tricked you into supplying your OTP as he logged into your account and that was all he needed. GTB online platform is better, before you can transfer money out of the account, you need the password, the answer to the secret question and a generated pin from your token. So unless somebody gets all these,he cant transfer money out. I will have to move my money from Stanbic to GTB with this development.

1 Like

Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by babafirst(m): 11:12am On Nov 02, 2015
I am sorry op but frankly I can never fall for this.Never!
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by delerx(m): 11:14am On Nov 02, 2015
OTP was sent to ur phone by the scammers? This is unclear. U must have been jazzed. Mayb you were given telepathic rophynol
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by DobraDobra: 11:17am On Nov 02, 2015
Well u were scamed just because u were not a little careful we have been informed of what our banks will ask from us. Anyway on same stanbic I live abroad and got mails dat I need to send bvn coss to dem I have not done it but I have other bank accounts and I have done my bvn with dem so I just need to send my numbers to stanbic so d website dey gave me was not going through so I called and ask for d form to be scaned to be but to my shock dey scaned a filled form belonging to someone with names dob account numbers address just all u need to get to d persons account waoh free access free money . I called dem bk told dem d horror I called d persons number in nija told. Person wat happen to go to his bank and tell dem coss it may get to wrong hang and his money will go. Stanbic appoligised to me for d error but it was a careless one. I could have easily milk d guy off
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 02, 2015
JAZES:
One of our readers sent this in and i think its very important that you all go through it so that you dont fall victim too because this is to real for someone not to fall victim. Kindly read below:

Please read this carefully, it may save you a few hundred, or a few thousand, or may be a few million bucks. It’s a personal experience, a true event that happened this afternoon. I am Sunday Adewole, I just fell victim of fraudsters a few hours ago. I am an account holder with StanbicIBTC bank, I am trying to put fund together to pay for my daughter’s tuition fee in CU in which case the institution already resumed last week. Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from somebody purportedly from StanbicIBTC who said “Am I speaking with Dr. Adewole” (called out my other names) to which I answered in the affirmative. He said he called in respect of my BVN which I was observed not to have done, I replied that I already had it done with Skye bank and he said the bank will send me a link so that my account with Stanbic will be linked with the BVN. True to our conversation, I receive a message from StanbicIBTC in which an OTP was sent to my phone. A few minutes later, he called to ask if I got the the SMS, I told him yes but I can’t do anything about it cos I was driving. He said no problem I should call out the numbers which I did and he thanked me for my cooperation in a customer service manner. I heard nothing since then till this afternoon at precisely 13:00 hrs when I received a SMS from StanbicIBTC informing me of a debit transaction which cleared my account to the lowest thousand, i.e. I was left with a paltry N685 (six hundred and eighty five naira). I called my account officer who confirmed to me that I have fallen victim of fraudsters and he checked up on my account and saw that the recipient acct is in First Bank. My puzzle is how did they get my account details? How were they able to generate an OTP to my phone. I am waiting to see what my bank would do on it. In the mean time, please be aware of what the 419 people can do. I’ll keep you posted on any new development.”
http://www.onlineleaks247.com/index.php/2015/11/02/on-going-bvn-scam-even-the-most-cautious-person-will-fall-for-this-one/

It's one of the bank workers that did it

Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by anangboy(m): 11:20am On Nov 02, 2015
OTP is the final authorisation process for network-based transactions. For you to receive unsolicited OTP means your account has already been compromised.

1 Like

Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by 49cents(m): 11:21am On Nov 02, 2015
I use Stanbic as well

The main question is how did they get your Internet banking password?

His other grave error was to divulge the OTP, which will only be sent to the line linked to the account

The story is that they have hacked into his account one way or the other

That's why banks insist u should NEVER divulge ur banking passwords and OTPs
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by happney65: 11:23am On Nov 02, 2015
Roseey0:
This is why I refused to do all these internet banking .
I just walk into the bank and do my transactions. If anything happen I will hold the officer on the counter.

I received this kind of call too. I just told whoever it was that when am ready, I will come to the bank myself and do whatever it was he was asking me to do on phone.

Babe,Went over your dairy..You are a good writer I must confess..Yes you are..You got my PM?Would like to be friends..Thanks
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by MztrChukwu(m): 11:25am On Nov 02, 2015
From my experience, the OTP is a soft token used as a last stage verification for online transfers. It could be in hardware if u applied to ur bank for it.

My suspicion is that there is a way the fraudstars got a hold of ur atm card including ur pin and made a transfer to the said account.

The last stage which was the OTP that would have been sent the phone number linked to the said account and you read it out for the fraudsters. Sadly.

My question is, before they get to the stage where OTP would be requested for, they obviously might have your pin and card details. So how did that happen?

Did u give ur atm card to anyone to make withdrawals for you? Who else has assess to ur atm card and pin? Have you fallen for any of these scams before that you disclosed ur pin? Think deep

OTP Is another kind of security measure. Not to be disclosed under any circumstance. For them to have used OTP, they had access to ur ATM card details cos as far as I know, no other banking system uses OTP Except online transactions.
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by ceejay80s(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2015
Roseey0:
This is why I refused to do all these internet banking .
I just walk into the bank and do my transactions. If anything happen I will hold the officer on the counter.

I received this kind of call too. I just told whoever it was that when am ready, I will come to the bank myself and do whatever it was he was asking me to do on phone.
Simple!!!!!
So a woman nairalandress get sense pass some male,
U deserve I cold babeokú from me
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by chuksmad(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2015
ken4jj:

Did you subscribe for online banking? If yes, i think what happened is that the officer that enrolled you into the online banking got your password when doing it. When i wanted to enrol for online banking at StanbicIBTC, the person incharge wanted to do it for me and i refused, he now wanted me to do it on his computer and i refused. what is the big deal that i cannot do in registering my account for online banking i asked him. at the end of the day, i did it myself. If he did it for me and mistakenly grab the password i was entering into the system with that there sharp eyes, the only thing he needs to transfer money out of my account will be the OTP. So in your case, he tricked you into supplying your OTP as he logged into your account and that was all he needed. GTB online platform is better, before you can transfer money out of the account, you need the password, the answer to the secret question and a generated pin from your token. So unless somebody gets all these,he cant transfer money out. I will have to move my money from Stanbic to GTB with this development.

The same with sterling bank, you must use your token for transaction, which is more secure
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by arabianights: 11:37am On Nov 02, 2015
JAZES:

am sorry i find this difficult to comprehend.BVN is to link all accounts you have so how is it possible for them to clear your account unless you gave out details of atm card or even on line banking details.

BVN as far as am concerned can never be used to clear accounts with out other details
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Austin4lif: 11:37am On Nov 02, 2015
BCISLTD:
angry only do transactions at a bank branch,Atm,verified bank app or call verified bank customer care numbers.

I dey mad to answer anyone that is account about my transactions...I repeat. .I DEY MAD!!!

CHECK MY GL 450

https://www.nairaland.com/2620472/toks-2008-benz-gl450-sale
yes
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 02, 2015
Hope av not been scammed sha
Cos i saw a message from first bank they said i should text my bvn nom and acct nom to them which i did
But av not seen any alert
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by arabianights: 11:38am On Nov 02, 2015
ken4jj:

yeah!! thats a good one but for some one to claim giving his bvn lead to clearing account is just not it.as am talking to you now, i dont have on line banking or even atm !!! i worked in the bank and know the great disadvantages as well as advantages of this.

am just into traditional banking.highest i can go for is a card account where i will just put money i might need when i travel out.Even this card account get im own issue.Nigeria n banks are just to ready to spend money to secure their customers .i was discissing with a staff of HSBC one time and realised that the reason for these high rates of on line fraud is because nigerian banks are not willing to spend money on somesecurity measures/soft wares out there at our own detriment
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by BCISLTD: 11:42am On Nov 02, 2015
Austin4lif:
yes

Yeye boy grin
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by uyplus(m): 11:51am On Nov 02, 2015
How would you fall for it? I don't do discuss bank issues on the phone with no-one except my account officer. Besides, if you check the details of the sender's email, you would find out that the email is not genuine.
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Balkan(m): 11:55am On Nov 02, 2015
The guys will definitely be caught. As far as the money was not collected cash. His identity is everywhere.

Unless he will run away from Nigeria.
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by lexzycc: 11:57am On Nov 02, 2015
bro, even before your otp code can be used to make any transfer, your pin and atm numbers are used first, i guess someone closer to you scammed you. check your family well
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by morderian007(m): 12:01pm On Nov 02, 2015
cryJesus!
I almost fell victim of this same scam few months back but thank God for my mother inlaw who quickly intevened because she was beside me when the scammer called after releasing some of my infos to him. I quickly called my account manager who instructed me to quickly change every setting on my online account.
I'm so sorry for the loss bro. The scammers will not go unpurnished and the Lord will bring back to you more than what you've lost in Jesus name. shocked
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by anangboy(m): 12:03pm On Nov 02, 2015
Please understand that technically, this has nothing to do with your BVN. This is a classic case of social engineering. Your internet login details had already been compromised and all they needed was your OTP to effect transfer from your account. And that they did by tricking you into revealing your OTP.

Money can not be transferred from your online account with ONLY your BVN.
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by anthonykezy(m): 12:37pm On Nov 02, 2015
Op, from your story, those guys are working with the bank! You have to stand by your case and let the bank investigate who sent that OTP that those 419 guys asked for immediately you got it. Technically, there are insiders dealings...
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by sunnyolads1(m): 12:50pm On Nov 02, 2015
Bank insiders were involved in the scam. It's not possible for someone outside to guess ones account number, ATM card number or pin. It must have the connection of the insider..
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 02, 2015
https://gtmt.gtbank.com/BVNLinker/start.aspx. pls guru kindly confirm if this is genuine
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by macolino(m): 12:56pm On Nov 02, 2015
JAZES:

People like you fall for lesser scam, trust me no one knows it all
You are wrong man,my brain is too big to be scammed...I am an adventurer
Re: On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE by Hero10001: 1:03pm On Nov 02, 2015
Greenbuoy:
Won ti se kini yen fun boda Sunday.
ahahahaha!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

INNOSON: FIDELITY Bank Takes Advantage Of Gtb's Predicament - Pic. / Bill Gates Sr Is Dead. Microsoft Co-Founder, Bill Gates' Father Dies / Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.