Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,480 members, 7,816,134 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat (5544 Views)

Bidha Done In Salat By Shia\shite - / Muslim Divers Observing Salat(prayer) Under The Sea / Punctuality In Salat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by AlBaqir(m): 2:03pm On Aug 29, 2016
ORDER OF NABI, salallahu alayhi wa ahli, IS CRYSTAL CLEAR

Imam al-Bukhari documents:

Chapter: Straightening the rows at the time of Iqama and after it (immediately)

باب تَسْوِيَةِ الصُّفُوفِ عِنْدَ الإِقَامَةِ وَبَعْدَهَا

# Narrated An-Nu`man bin 'Bashir:

The Prophet (s) said, "Straighten your rows or Allah will alter your faces."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 717
In-book reference : Book 10, Hadith 112
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 11, Hadith 685

# Narrated Anas:

The Prophet (s) said, "Straighten your rows, for I see you from behind my back.'

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 718
In-book reference : Book 10, Hadith 113
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 11, Hadith 686

# Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Once the Iqama was pronounced and Allah's Messenger (s) faced us and said, "Straighten your rows and stand closer together, for I see you from behind my back.'

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 719
In-book reference : Book 10, Hadith 114
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 11, Hadith 687

# Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet (s) said, "Straighten your rows as the straightening of rows is essential for a perfect and correct praye."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 723
In-book reference : Book 10, Hadith 117
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 11, Hadith 690

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/10

# Al-Nu’man b. Bashir said:

the prophet (s) used to straighten us in the rows of prayer as the arrow is straightened, until he thought that we had learned it from him and understood it. One day he turned towards us, and shoulders in order, and say; Do not be irregular. And he would say: Allah and his Angels bless those who near the first rows.

Grade : Sahih (Al-Albani)

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 663
In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 273
English translation : Book 2, Hadith 663

# Narrated Al-Bara' ibn Azib:

The Messenger of Allah (s) used to pass through the row from one side to the other; he used to set out chests and shoulders in order, and say: Do not be irregular. And he would say: Allah and His angels bless those who are near the first rows.

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 664
In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 274
English translation : Book 2, Hadith 664

# Jabir b. Samurah reported the Messenger of Allah (s) as saying:

Why do you stand in rows as the angels do in the presence of their Lord? We asked: how do the angles stand in rows in the presence of their Lord? He replied: they make the first row complete and keep close together in the row.

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 661
In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 271
English translation : Book 2, Hadith 666

http://sunnah.com/abudawud/2
Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by Nobody: 4:50am On Aug 30, 2016
AlBaqir:

@bold, In your own very word based on the hadith, Nabi salallahu alayhi wa ahli ordered them to straighten their role. Is there any ambiguity in that command? Is there a need to reinterpret the order of Nabi?

"And it behoves not a believing man and a believing woman that they should have any choice in their matter when Allah and His Apostle have decided a matter; and whoever disobeys Allah and His Apostle, he surely strays off a manifest straying" {surah Ahzab: 36}

Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani in the sharh of this hadith in his Fath al-Barr sharh Sahih al-Bukhari interpreted this as al-mubalagha - an exaggeration i.e an expression.

# Indeed standing shoulder to shoulder, knee to knee and ankle to ankle in saff is a mere expression to describe how people strive to maintain a straight line. If that statement is literal, then how on earth is it possible for a tall man and a dwarf or short man to stand shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee?

# It is normal for shoulders to touch each other where there is large Jama'ah. What is futile and never from the Prophet is the literal mechanical command that let your shoulders and feet touch each other. What Nabi salallahu alayhi wa ahli commanded in a clear, unambiguous statement is to maintain a straight line.

Nah! Where is your evidence that the reporter was praying with the Prophet for the first time? None! Nu'man ibn Bashir was not even a baligh (matured) when Nabi died. He was around 6-8 years old when Nabi died. He merely reported what he saw.

Going through all ahadith on this issue, it is crystal clear that Nabi's order before the establishment of salat as always been straighten your row. In fact sometimes he will say while backing them straighten your rows. Do not be crooked for I can still see you behind my back.

Nabi's order to straighten row being part of validity of salat is crystal clear with no tafsir and that has always been his command throughout his entire life while leading salat. Commanding otherwise that feet and shoulders must touch each other as a requirement for the validity salat is batil. Only defiant will rule over Allah and His Prophet.

The question here is, why didn't rosulullaah say anything when tthey joined their feets?

And my statement that Nu'maan seems to be praying with them for the first time is logical, he said "and i saw them...." Why not "we would straighten..."? That statement suggests he saw them doing that for the first time, yani he was praying with them for the first time.
Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by AlBaqir(m): 6:03am On Aug 30, 2016
lexiconkabir:

The question here is, why didn't rosulullaah say anything when tthey joined their feets?

We are not talking of feet alone here. Shoulders, knees and ankles are very inclusive in the words of Nu'man ibn Bashir (in that Marfoo' hadith). Why didn't Nabi talk when they "joined" all these?

# As we have established earlier, It is very obvious a tall man will find it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to join shoulder and knees with a short or dwarf man beside him. Apart from these, in the video posted on this thread, the Hanafi scholar claimed there is another sahih hadith which mentions Neck also.

# Why Nabi salallahu alayhi wa ahli didn't object? He never ordered them to join feet, shoulders, neck, knees and ankles literally rather he asked them to form and maintain a straight row, close gaps, be regular and not crooked. It is however very normal that all these cannot be achieved in a large Jama'ah except shoulders (especially) touches each other or shoulders of a short man touches the arm of a tall man. Feet, however cannot necessarily touch each other except there is a specific command for it whereby people stretch their feet out to join the other. Obviously that is not Nabi's concern.

The situation today is different. The order has always been: "let your feet and shoulders touch each other so that shaytan will not join the gap or space (as if Shaitan is physical)" and people will tighten themselves, sometimes to the extent that stretching hands for Takbir, Ruku, Sajdatayn become very difficult and uncomfortable. I wonder how such salat in this situation attract concentration!

lexiconkabir:

And my statement that Nu'maan seems to be praying with them for the first time is logical, he said "and i saw them...." Why not "we would straighten..."? That statement suggests he saw them doing that for the first time, yani he was praying with them for the first time.

Like I said earlier, Nu'man ibn Bashir was a child then (kindly check his Bio). So its not possible for him to join the regular saff. He was just observing. Nu'man was an Ansari, meaning he was born in Madinah. Even if he joins the saff, how will his shoulders, knees (and probably neck) joined the babas and egbons beside him?

2 Likes

Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by Nobody: 6:14am On Aug 30, 2016
AlBaqir:

We are not talking of feet alone here. Shoulders, knees and ankles are very inclusive in the words of Nu'man ibn Bashir (in that Marfoo' hadith). Why didn't Nabi talk when they "joined" all these?

# As we have established earlier, It is very obvious a tall man will find it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to join shoulder and knees with a short or dwarf man beside him. Apart from these, in the video posted on this thread, the Hanafi scholar claimed there is another sahih hadith which mentions Neck also.

# Why Nabi _salallahu alayhi wa ahli_ didn't object? He never ordered them to join feet, shoulders, neck, knees and ankles literally rather he asked them to form and maintain a straight row, close gaps, be regular and not crooked. It is however very normal that all these cannot be achieved in a large Jama'ah except shoulders (especially) touches each other. Obviously that is not Nabi's concern.

The situation today is different. The order has always been: "let your feet and shoulders touch each other so that shaytan will not join the gap or space (as if Shaitan is physical)" and people will tighten themselves, sometimes to the extent that stretching hands for Takbir, Ruku, Sajdatayn become very difficult and uncomfortable. I wonder how such salat in this situation attract concentration!

Then since rosulullaah didnt object, it isnt baatil like you said earlier, or is it? And i hope you know what baatil is in the sharee'ah?

Like I said earlier, Nu'man ibn Bashir was a child then (kindly check his Bio). So its not possible for him to join the regular saff. He was just observing. Nu'man was an Ansari, meaning he was born in Madinah. Even if he joins the saff, how will his shoulders, knees (and probably neck) joined the babas and egbons beside him?

Ok, since he didnt join the regular saff, then when he said "he saw them...." (I.e he has not seen them doing that before) What should that imply?
Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by AlBaqir(m): 7:10am On Aug 30, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Then since rosulullaah didnt object, it isnt baatil like you said earlier, or is it? And i hope you know what baatil is in the sharee'ah?

Object to what? Out of hundreds of Sahabah in Medina with the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa ahli, only a minor (Nu'man ibn Bashir and probably another minor Anas ibn Malik), a non-baligh child reported what he saw which is normal in a large crowded saff yet you keep on saying Nabi did not object as if he commanded literally "let your feet, shoulders, neck, ankles and knees joined while straighten your row in saff".

# If you adamantly and literarily insist that feet must touch each other based on the observation of Nu'man ibn Bashir, then you must complete it - shoulders, knees, ankles and neck must equally touch also. Whatever is good for the goose is also good for the ganger.

# I have given you 7 different ahadith on this issue and there are still more yet you are acting as if there is ambiguity in the clear order of the Prophet. You simply take important the observation of a minor over the clear order of Nabi. Who exactly do you follow in deen?

# There is another hadith in Sahih Bukhari which talks about how Abu Lu'lu stabbed the second Khalifah Umar ibn al-Khattab. In this hadith, the reporter clearly says, "Umar will not say the Takbir unless he repeated the word, "straighten your rows". Obviously no one interpreted this order as a mechanical joining of feet, shoulders, knees, ankle and neck. Only a minor will do which even Sunni best Muadhith (Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani) understood as al-Mubalagha.

lexiconkabir:

Ok, since he didnt join the regular saff, then when he said "he saw them...." (I.e he has not seen them doing that before) What should that imply?

Obviously that report never suggest such took place once and never again. We can infer that since Nabi salallahu alayhi wa ahli on a regular basis always order the rows to be straightened, then due to large crowd (especially during Fajr and Ishai), we expect what Nu'man ibn Bashir observed over and over.

1 Like

Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 30, 2016
AlBaqir:

Object to what? Out of hundreds of Sahabah in Medina with the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa ahli, only a minor (Nu'man ibn Bashir and probably another minor Anas ibn Malik), a non-baligh child reported what he saw which is normal in a large crowded saff yet you keep on saying Nabi did not object as if he commanded literally "let your feet, shoulders, neck, ankles and knees joined while straighten your row in saff".

Nu'maan being 8years old does not prove anything because an 8years old is old enough to know whats going on around him such that he remembers what happened clearly.

# If you adamantly and literarily insist that feet must touch each other based on the observation of Nu'man ibn Bashir, then you must complete it - shoulders, knees, ankles and neck must equally touch also. Whatever is good for the goose is also good for the ganger.

# I have given you 7 different ahadith on this issue and there are still more yet you are acting as if there is ambiguity in the clear order of the Prophet. You simply take important the observation of a minor over the clear order of Nabi. Who exactly do you follow in deen?

# There is another hadith in Sahih Bukhari which talks about how Abu Lu'lu stabbed the second Khalifah Umar ibn al-Khattab. In this hadith, the reporter clearly says, "Umar will not say the Takbir unless he repeated the word, "straighten your rows". Obviously no one interpreted this order as a mechanical joining of feet, shoulders, knees, ankle and neck. Only a minor will do which even Sunni best Muadhith (Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani) understood as al-Mubalagha.

As known to people of knowledge, the Sunnah is broken down into

1.) Al-Qowliyyah(statements),

2.) Al-Fi'liyyah(actions), and

3.) At-Taqreeriyyah(approvals).

As for As-Sunnah Al-Qowliyyah, then it is easily understood, it is the statements that the Companions reported from him (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam). As-Sunnah Al-Fi'liyyah is what they reported regarding his actions (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam). As for As-Sunnah At-Taqreeriyyah, it is what the Companions reported about each other, not from his actions (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), but he saw the action and remained silent about it. This silence is not considered from his statements (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), nor from his actions, rather it is his approval.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Straighten your lines, and align your shoulders, and yield your hands to your brothers, and close the gaps[precise evidence for joining feet or how else can we close the gap?] for indeed the shaytan comes between you through them, just as the small lamb does [precise evidence for joining feet]." [Ahmed, at-Tabaraani and others, Saheeh; Saheeh at-Targheeb wat-Tarheeb no. 491]

#The prophet mentioned straightening of the lines, alignment of shoulder, yielding of hands, AND CLOSING OF GAPS, WHY DID ROSULULLAAH MENTIONED CLOSING OF GAPS SEPARATELY? how else do we close gaps?

Nu'man b. Bashir reported:

The Messenger of Allah (may peace-be upon him) used to straighten our rows as it were straightening an arrow with their help until he saw that we had learnt it from him. One day he came out, stood up (for prayer) and was about to say: 'Allah is the Greatest', when he saw a man, whose chest was bulging out from the row, so he said: Servants of Allah, you must straighten your rows or Allah would create dissension amongst you!

Now look at the last hadith i quoted, the prophet wouldnt pray until he is sure that the saff is in the correct manner, now the hadith in question did not say the prophet told them what they were doing was wrong, rather he kept silent[As-sunnah At-Taqreeriyyah].

In conclusion the prophet wouldve told them what they were doing is invalid before even starting the prayer like he did in the last hadith i quoted, but he didnt, he kept silent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by AlBaqir(m): 12:10pm On Aug 30, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Nu'maan being 8years old does not prove anything because an 8years old is old enough to know whats going on around him such that he remembers what happened clearly.

# A minor's observation which you intend to use to re-interpret the clear word of Nabi proves a lot. No one among the 110,000 sahabah took this "observation" literally except a minor, Nu'man ibn Bashir. Again what is obscure or ambiguous in the clear order of Nabi that you choose to understand it through the observation of a minor Sahabi?

# However your point here is Nu'man was probably praying behind Nabi for the first time; hence, his statement.

# My point on the other hands is that Nu'man was not reporting as the first timer but reporting an observation being a minor who was not in the regular saff.

# @underlined, every hadith when any Sahabi narrates it is a "remembrance what happened and what Nabi or whoever says".

lexiconkabir:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Straighten your lines, and align your shoulders, and yield your hands to your brothers, and close the gaps [s][precise evidence for joining feet or how else can we close the gap?[/s]] for indeed the shaytan comes between you through them, just as the small lamb does [precise evidence for joining feet]." [Ahmed, at-Tabaraani and others, Saheeh; Saheeh at-Targheeb wat-Tarheeb no. 491]

#The prophet mentioned straightening of the lines, alignment of shoulder, yielding of hands, AND CLOSING OF GAPS, WHY DID ROSULULLAAH MENTIONED CLOSING OF GAPS SEPARATELY? how else do we close gaps?

# First, the canceled statements are mere interpolations of the translator. So its out of it.

# Second, the statement: close the gaps, align your shoulders, yield your hands to your brothers is the exact Tafsir of the order: "straighten your row".

# Here, there is no mention of feet joining, knees joining, ankles joining, neck joining, even there is no shoulders joining (only alignment is mentioned).

lexiconkabir:

Nu'man b. Bashir reported:

The Messenger of Allah (may peace-be upon him) used to straighten our rows as it were straightening an arrow with their help until he saw that we had learnt it from him. One day he came out, stood up (for prayer) and was about to say: 'Allah is the Greatest', when he saw a man, whose chest was bulging out from the row, so he said: Servants of Allah, you must straighten your rows or Allah would create dissension amongst you!

Allahu Akbar! The hadith is clear. Nabi salallahu alayhi wa ahli was so much concern about row straightening that a man whose chest bulged out was corrected. That is Nabi's concern: Straightening of rows and maintaining it. Not mechanical joining of feet, shoulders, ankles, knees and necks.

lexiconkabir:

Now look at the last hadith i quoted, the prophet wouldnt pray until he is sure that the saff is in the correct manner, now the hadith in question did not say the prophet told them what they were doing was wrong, rather he kept silent[As-sunnah At-Taqreeriyyah].

In conclusion the prophet wouldve told them what they were doing is invalid before even starting the prayer like he did in the last hadith i quoted, but he didnt, he kept silent.

@underlined: Meaning straighten of rows!

@bold: His concern is to straighten row and maintaining it not their shoulders or feet or neck or knees or ankles that touches each other (which is very normal in a large crowd).

# Its funny though how you keep dodging those questions posed at you: How can or will the shoulders, knees of a tall man join that of a dwarf or short man in saff if you choose to be adamant? Several questions and challenges are before you.

1 Like

Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2016
AlBaqir:

# A minor's observation which you intend to use to re-interpret the clear word of Nabi proves a lot. No one among the 110,000 sahabah took this "observation" literally except a minor, Nu'man ibn Bashir. Again what is obscure or ambiguous in the clear order of Nabi that you choose to understand it through the observation of a minor Sahabi?

# However your point here is Nu'man was probably praying behind Nabi for the first time; hence, his statement.

# My point on the other hands is that Nu'man was not reporting as the first timer but reporting an observation being a minor who was not in the regular saff.

# @underlined, every hadith when any Sahabi narrates it is a "remembrance what happened and what Nabi or whoever says".

# First, the canceled statements are mere interpolations of the translator. So its out of it.

# Second, the statement: close the gaps, align your shoulders, yield your hands to your brothers is the exact Tafsir of the order: "straighten your row".

# Here, there is no mention of feet joining, knees joining, ankles joining, neck joining, even there is no shoulders joining (only alignment is mentioned).

Allahu Akbar! The hadith is clear. Nabi salallahu alayhi wa ahli was so much concern about row straightening that a man whose chest bulged out was corrected. That is Nabi's concern: Straightening of rows and maintaining it. Not mechanical joining of feet, shoulders, ankles, knees and necks.

@underlined: Meaning straighten of rows!

@bold: His concern is to straighten row and maintaining it not their shoulders or feet or neck or knees or ankles that touches each other (which is very normal in a large crowd).

# Its funny though how you keep dodging those questions posed at you: How can or will the shoulders, knees of a tall man join that of a dwarf or short man in saff if you choose to be adamant? Several questions and challenges are before you.

Its funny how you dodge question posed at you, ok let me ask the first;

1.) didnt nabi see them arrange the saff that way?
Re: Straightening Rows And Standing Shoulders To Shoulders, Feet To Feet In Salat by Empiree: 4:01pm On Aug 30, 2016
Thread yi reee. Re-surfaced again, uhh

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Walk By Faith, Not Just By Sight". / Things They Wont Tell You About Islam (infidel Christians, Atheists, Pagans Etc) / Less Than 15 Days To Ramadan. Are You Preparing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.