Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon (7973 Views)

MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Cia And Mossad To Divide Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 7:04am On May 11, 2009
The nigerian situation is becoming more pathetic by the day. It looks almost irredeemable from all angles.

Day in day out, we hear of how people embezzle the public funds without being questioned. Those appointed to probe the embezzlers end up doing the same thing.
Corruption in the public and private institutions of the country.
Assassinations and assassination attempts.
No attempts to revitalize the fast decaying infrastructures like roads, railways, airline, schools, hospital and most importantly power generating plants. Our refineries are not even in the picture anymore.
Nothing is being done to tackle the ever rising unemployment rate.
Nothing is being done to rehabilitate, reorient and reconstruct the police force.
In most cases, one has to become a heartless wicked crook who will be willing to kill or cheat before you can have a bit of good life in nigeria.
The worst part is that Nigerians have become so used to being intimidated and pushed around by their leaders to the extent that they believe it's a normal life; the "will of god as most will say".
Everybody seem to have lost their common sense of reasoning.

I have been planning on returning home by january 2010 to continue contributing my quota to the nation building, but it seems nobody is working towards this. Its everyone for himself and his family.
With all these ills, I am about coming to a conclusion that my past present and future contributions may not make any difference to nation building, thereby abandoning this project and try to concentrate on my family alone.
On the other hand, while I was living in nigeria, I've never been used to watching things decay without aggressively voicing my opinion, be it to the government, the common man on the street, my friends and any member of my family.

How will I keep my eyes and mouth shut to these decays now that am even more exposed?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Badriyyah(f): 7:13am On May 11, 2009
Never give up on Nigeria, Because if the few people that care give up on that country. It will crumble. Change will come,although at this time it feels impossible. Nigeria needs fresh blood. The current Govt needs to be wiped out. Infact so many things need to be dropped and started from the beginning. Till then, All we can do is prepare for that day to come.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 7:19am On May 11, 2009
^^ Perhaps the revitalisation will only happen after we have crumbled? Just a thought. The current leaders won't go away, even if they eventually do, their replacement will be people from their same school of thought. A non-stopping vicious cycle. May be allowing the nation to crumble will really be the way forward?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 7:21am On May 11, 2009
Badriyyah:

Never give up on Nigeria, Because if the few people that care give up on that country. It will crumble. Change will come,although at this time it feels impossible. Nigeria needs fresh blood. The current Govt needs to be wiped out. Infact so many things need to be dropped and started from the beginning. Till then, All we can do is prepare for that day to come.

I wish things could go the way you stated it, but there's no sign of such in sight.
The young or fresh blood you are talking about seem to be the worst. Check out this same nairaland and how the youths here are wasting their lives away with tribalism.
The same fresh blood are the people being paid to rig elections, assassinate people, burn down churches, houses and shops for no reason and worst of all massacre their fellow nigerians in the name of religion.

Fresh blood indeed. cry
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 7:23am On May 11, 2009
Nuzo, you just validated my point in some ways. smiley
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 7:26am On May 11, 2009
ElRazur:

^^ Perhaps the revitalisation will only happen after we have crumbled? Just a thought. The current leaders won't go away, even if they eventually do, their replacement will be people from their same school of thought. A non-stopping vicious cycle. May be allowing the nation to crumble will really be the way forward?
ElRazur:

Nuzo, you just validated my point in some ways. smiley

Ok, but I didnt quiet get what you meant by crumble. Secession or millitary coup?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 7:34am On May 11, 2009
nuzo:

Ok, but I didnt quiet get what you meant by crumble. Secession or millitary coup?

I was trying to say perhaps the way forward will either be for us to split up, that way we are more manageable regionally. Or at last resort, we disintegrate into some kind of civil war [ I do not expect this idea to be popular by the way]. If we do end up in a civil war, new idea will inevitably be born, and newer, better and effective ways of doing things will be the norm. After all, as humans, we don't know what we've got until it is gone. smiley
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 7:45am On May 11, 2009
ElRazur:

I was trying to say perhaps the way forward will either be for us to split up, that way we are more manageable regionally. Or at last resort, we disintegrate into some kind of civil war [ I do not expect this idea to be popular by the way]. If we do end up in a civil war, new idea will inevitably be born, and newer, better and effective ways of doing things will be the norm. After all, as humans, we don't know what we've got until it is gone.  smiley

I do agree with you that wars do bring about new ideas and innovations.
However, history have shown that it does not work in nigeria. Nigerians dont learn from their mistakes.
Do you know what caused the nigerian/biafran civil war? Is the cause still repeating itself as we write?
During the civil war, the Biafrans made a lot of military inventions and innovations. Have those creativity been harnessed?

So, why go down the same path of bloodshed since it didnt work in the past?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 7:50am On May 11, 2009
If only the Biafran war was successful! But it was cut short by the then FG strategy.

I really do believe we are at a tipping point, heck we passed the point already. A war will probably be the over all solution. If people like IBB, OBJ and others are killed brutally, it will serve as a point in history for us all to remember. I believe this will change the ways and thinking of the people after the war.

[Again not expecting my idea to be popular with some.]
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 7:52am On May 11, 2009
nuzo:

The nigerian situation is becoming more pathetic by the day. It looks almost irredeemable from all angles.

Day in day out, we hear of how people embezzle the public funds without being questioned. Those appointed to probe the embezzlers end up doing the same thing.
Corruption in the public and private institutions of the country.
Assassinations and assassination attempts.
No attempts to revitalize the fast decaying infrastructures like roads, railways, airline, schools, hospital and most importantly power generating plants. Our refineries are not even in the picture anymore.
Nothing is being done to tackle the ever rising unemployment rate.
Nothing is being done to rehabilitate, reorient and reconstruct the police force.
In most cases, one has to become a heartless wicked crook who will be willing to kill or cheat before you can have a bit of good life in nigeria.
The worst part is that Nigerians have become so used to being intimidated and pushed around by their leaders to the extent that they believe it's a normal life; the "will of god as most will say".
Everybody seem to have lost their common sense of reasoning.

I have been planning on returning home by january 2010 to continue contributing my quota to the nation building, but it seems nobody is working towards this. Its everyone for himself and his family.
With all these ills, I am about coming to a conclusion that my past present and future contributions may not make any difference to nation building, thereby abandoning this project and try to concentrate on my family alone.
On the other hand, while I was living in nigeria, I've never been used to watching things decay without aggressively voicing my opinion, be it to the government, the common man on the street, my friends and any member of my family.

How will I keep my eyes and mouth shut to these decays now that am even more exposed?

Let me tell you something. If you feel at home/comfortable wherever you are, hold on to it. There's no need for any guilt. A lot of nigerians feel the need to give back to the nation even if it means altering your life.
What has Nigeria done for you? This should determine whether you need to waste your time on nigeria.
I'll use my example.

I have never received any form of scholarship/grant from nigera. NEVER EVER.
I went to the U.S, a country that had nothing to do with me and they scattered scholarships all over my head. From instate tuition to allowances, the list goes on.
Where do you expect my allegiance to be? My own country that doesn't give a shit about me or the country that accepted me with open hands?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Jakumo(m): 8:00am On May 11, 2009
Nuzo, surely you must be aware that the Nigerian "government" has, at all levels, and for the past 4 decades, been essentially a criminal organisation,  in which the overall gang leader, or "president" is selected and rigged into power by the same shadowy cartel of godfathers who strive to ensure that the puppet thus installed in office understands that their paramount, overriding duty is to make the state treasury available for private embezzlement and consumption by the chosen few.  Similarly, all lower tiers of "government" are methodically allocated  ONLY to those sworn to the oath of secrecy and collusion expected of loyal foot soldiers who intend to stay alive and in power.  

Your complaints about the lack of electricity, motorable roads, clean water, law enforcement,  fraud-free educational facilities and well-funded health-care sectors all indicate that you remain under the quaint illusion that all those venal, money-grubbing individuals who work their way into what is euphemistically referred  to as a "government" in Nigeria, are in some moral way obliged to give a flying phuck about what happens to those who fail to gain access to state funds.    

By clinging to that optimistic assumption about Nigerian power-play, you are so wrong that you deserve a punitive public flogging, though you will no doubt be relieved to hear that your sentence shall not include summary deportation from China to Nigeria, unless you continue posting comments here that indicate a reluctance on your part to accept the truth about Nigeria, and who that moral wasteland really belongs to.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 8:06am On May 11, 2009
I have always maintained that

most nigerians see nigeria as an enterprise to make money from and not a country to build and serve because there is no feeling of natiohood amongst its people

Until u solve the above mindset u cannot solve the problem of nigeria.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by busibodi(f): 8:16am On May 11, 2009
asha 80:

most nigerians see nigeria as an enterprise to make money from and not a country to build and serve because there is no feeling of natiohood amongst its people

how do you resolve the above mind-set?

Nuzo, dont take nigeria to heart. just do your best.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 8:30am On May 11, 2009
ElRazur:

If only the Biafran war was successful! But it was cut short by the then FG strategy.

I really do believe we are at a tipping point, heck we passed the point already. A war will probably be the over all solution. If people like IBB, OBJ and others are killed brutally, it will serve as a point in history for us all to remember. I believe this will change the ways and thinking of the people after the war.

[Again not expecting my idea to be popular with some.]

Yes, your idea is not popular with so many people including me. However, one cannot deny the amazing large chuck of truth in it.
It looks as if it is going to be the last option.
Having said that, what makes you think that majority of nigerians will want the likes of IBB and OBJ killed since they are the same set of people letting these guys go presently? Do you think that getting rid of OBJ and co will remedy the situation?

A-town:

Let me tell you something. If you feel at home/comfortable wherever you are, hold on to it. There's no need for any guilt. A lot of nigerians feel the need to give back to the nation even if it means altering your life.
What has Nigeria done for you? This should determine whether you need to waste your time on nigeria.
I'll use my example.

I have never received any form of scholarship/grant from nigera. NEVER EVER.
I went to the U.S, a country that had nothing to do with me and they scattered scholarships all over my head. From instate tuition to allowances, the list goes on.
Where do you expect my allegiance to be? My own country that doesn't give a shit about me or the country that accepted me with open hands?

Just like you, Nigeria have done little or nothing for me too.
However, our conscience and reactions seem to differ as I cannot keep watching the decay till eternity.

Jakumo:

Nuzo, surely you must be aware that the Nigerian "government" has, at all levels, and for the past 4 decades, been essentially a criminal organisation,  in which the overall gang leader, or "president" is selected and rigged into power by the same shadowy cartel of godfathers who strive to ensure that the puppet thus installed in office understands that their paramount, overriding duty is to make the state treasury available for private embezzlement and consumption by the chosen few.  Similarly, all lower tiers of "government" are methodically allocated  ONLY to those sworn to the oath of secrecy and collusion expected of loyal foot soldiers who intend to stay alive and in power.  

Your complaints about the lack of electricity, motorable roads, clean water, law enforcement,  fraud-free educational facilities and well-funded health-care sectors all indicate that you remain under the quaint illusion that all those venal, money-grubbing individuals who work their way into what is euphemistically referred  to as a "government" in Nigeria, are in some moral way obliged to give a flying phuck about what happens to those who fail to gain access to state funds.    

By clinging to that optimistic assumption about Nigerian power-play, you are so wrong that you deserve a punitive public flogging, though you will no doubt be relieved to hear that your sentence shall not include summary deportation from China to Nigeria, unless you continue posting comments here that indicate a reluctance on your part to accept the truth about Nigeria, and who that moral wasteland really belongs to.

Jakuma, you are rare breed I must say. Your sense of humor mixed with strong points is exceptional. I really hope to meet you in person someday. (see how i dey talk like say u be woman grin)
On a more serious note, why do you feel that nigeria belongs only to this corrupt establishment?
Once in a while, dont you feel like something should be done to get rid of these rots?
Or, are you advising me to accept the rot as my fate?

asha 80:

most nigerians see nigeria as an enterprise to make money from and not a country to build and serve because there is no feeling of natiohood amongst its people.

Wonderful observation.
Now, how do you solve this evil mindset of ours when the younger generation is even worst that the old generation? Where and how do you start?

busi-bodi:

how do you resolve the above mind-set?

Nuzo,  dont take nigeria to heart. just do your best.

Your comment seem to be complicated, otherwise, how do I do or give my best to something if at the same time you advise me not to take at heart?
Be straight forward; should I forget it or give all?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 8:41am On May 11, 2009
nuzo:

Yes, your idea is not popular with so many people including me. However, one cannot deny the amazing large chuck of truth in it.
It looks as if it is going to be the last option.
Having said that, what makes you think that majority of nigerians will want the likes of IBB and OBJ killed since they are the same set of people letting these guys go presently? Do you think that getting rid of OBJ and co will remedy the situation?

Let me start by saying in the far eastern folklore, it is believe that by cutting the head of a dragon, one stops it breathe of fire. The people who have shaped the history of Nigeria in a negative ways are the  dragons, their effects is more or less the dragon's breathe of fire.  You do the maths.

Do I want the likes of OBJ, IBB and other people who falls into that rank punished, or even killed brutally? Yes I do and am sure a few people who have one way or the other suffer as a result of their handiwork will want them dead too.  smiley

You see, their is a vicious cycle of corruption, embezzlement, incompetency et al engrained into our psyche. It is so bad that is has more or less become the norm. In order to stop this vicious cycle from consuming us forever, we really do need to make a serious change. We have tried military coup, democracy, strikes, boycott, demonstration, You name it we have tired, and yet we are failing. The only thing left to consider now are Breaking up and civil war.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by IFELEKE(m): 8:53am On May 11, 2009
I ve read wonderful posts on this subject matter and I must say you are all right one way or the other(jakumo, elrazur,nuzo you are all wonderful)
You see, Nigeria is a country that is permanently run on Auto Drive but it will not be like that forever. The elders say that when you chase a goat to the wall it will turn back and face you.
I see a revolution that might make or mar Nigeria coming and either ways, we will be better for it. Don't Ask me How, Just Brace Up For It.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ikeyman00(m): 9:01am On May 11, 2009
breakin uo?? wahala solved

breakin up, u right

then it will turn out like this

1st oduduwa will be kwara, ekiti ondo

2nd oduduwa will ibadan,osun etc

my friend be careful and dnt reason like a slowpoke

u know who u are
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by RichyBlacK(m): 9:04am On May 11, 2009
My plan is simple:

Airlift all my family members out of the reach of the most useless government the world has ever known. I have zero confidence in Nigeria, zero!
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 9:08am On May 11, 2009
ikeyman00:

breakin up, u right

u know who u are

I will give you the benefit of doubt, and actually take you serious this time. smiley

A break up into regional areas in my opinion will help make us more manageable. If only you see beyond your nose, the real reason behind various request for creation of states is due to our Nigeria is currently structured, how socio-economic developments are based on politics instead of actual needs, how a few communities feel cheated by the very government that is meant to look after them etc.

After a break up and possibly a war, the last thing people will want is state creation. Instead it will force them to unite as they really do not want another war again. If the new regional countries managed their affairs well and learnt from the mistakes of the past, no one in their right mind will come out asking for more states creation.

This war wont be a war for the sole of breaking up, it is a war meant to bring about revolution. Revolutions that will see old way that hasn't worked confined to history - e.g pointless creation of states - and new ways and ideas given a chance. smiley
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ikeyman00(m): 9:10am On May 11, 2009
^^^^^

like i said becareful u dnt reason like a hopeless slowpoke

cool
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 9:11am On May 11, 2009
RichyBlacK:

My plan is simple:

Airlift all my family members out of the reach of the most useless government the world has ever known. I have zero confidence in Nigeria, zero!

Haaa.

On a serious note, are you willing to support a civil war if it will bring about revolution? You do not have to be at the front line, but at least you can provide your support in other ways. Financial maybe? [Careful how you answer my questions lol The Nigerian SSS may be watching you. You don't want them planting weed for your luggage at Murtala Airport o]
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 9:12am On May 11, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^^

like i said becareful u dnt reason like a hopeless slowpoke

cool

No point talking to you. Your post makes no sense.

Note to self
Never debate with a fool, people who read the debate, sometimes cannot tell who is who.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 9:16am On May 11, 2009
@Elrazur

Do you honestly think people from former eastern region will engage in another war after what happened to them the last time?

@Nuzo and Busibodi

Until the different nationalities decide on how they are going to live and exist in the geographical nigeria then we will continue to be a laughing stock.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Badriyyah(f): 9:17am On May 11, 2009
War in Nigeria? You're inviting the Western Govt to come and take over, Never forget our Land has OIL.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 9:20am On May 11, 2009
IFELEKE:

I ve read wonderful posts on this subject matter and I must say you are all right one way or the other(jakumo, elrazur,nuzo you are all wonderful)
You see, Nigeria is a country that is permanently run on Auto Drive but it will not be like that forever. The elders say that when you chase a goat to the wall it will turn back and face you.
I see a revolution that might make or mar Nigeria coming and either ways, we will be better for it. Don't Ask me How, Just Brace Up For It.

Thanks for your compliments and advice on what to expect in future. However my brother, you will be so unfair if you fail to explain how most nigerians who are corrupt and cowardly will effect the so-called revolution. Or, are you saying that you've made an arrangement for the dutch and ghanians to come and do the revolution for us?

I am ever ready to participate in any peaceful revolution but have since found out that my nigerian brothers dont care a bit of that even though they've been pushed against and through the wall without reaction. They have accepted their fate as Jakumo suggested.

ikeyman00:

breakin up, u right

u know who u are

As much as you hate Elrazur and his points; just know that those points he has made are his opinion and is valid up to a large extent even though I wont subscribe to that.
B.T.W, I appeal to you and your cronies not to derail this thread with tribalistic comments as I want to use some of the contributions here to straighten out issues of where I should be heading to. To be or not to be.

RichyBlacK:

My plan is simple:

Even if this is possible for you, how about us who have very large family members? Should I chatter a boat that will ferry almost a whole village across the atlantic ocean via morocco and libya? grin
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 9:21am On May 11, 2009
asha 80:

@Elrazur

Do you honestly think people from former eastern region will engage in another war after what happened to them the last time?

The question is are majority of Nigerians wanting change? Are majority of nigerian or your common man happy with the state of the nation? I suppose there lies your answer. smiley

Badriyyah:

War in Nigeria? You're inviting the Western Govt to come and take over, Never forget our Land has OIL.

The Oil is more or less a curse some will say. Don't forget that the Western world will have nothing to do with us, once our oil finishes anyway. smiley
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 9:21am On May 11, 2009
Badriyyah:

I even wish oil never existed in the first place.Our land has oil and what has the oil done for nigeria?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ikeyman00(m): 9:23am On May 11, 2009
Never debate with a fool, people who read the debate, sometimes cannot tell who is who.

elrazur

but u obviously reason like one

to sit there to think that isolating oduduwa pppl for eg will be problem sloved, me think u are being very funi

but wait oo, how come whenever the north have their usless forum, kwara state is always present as board member

menhh plz reason logically if u can, or u rather behave like a hopeless slowpoke
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 9:24am On May 11, 2009
@Elrazur

I can tell u that people from former eastern region WILL NEVER engage in another warfare.If other groups want to engage in another war then good for them.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 9:29am On May 11, 2009
asha 80:

@Elrazur

I can tell u that people from former eastern region WILL NEVER engage in another warfare.If other groups want to engage in another war then good for them.

You reckon? Yet there are already Gun-shooting-Gun-slaying-Kidnapping-terrorising outfits right there. These people just shows how much people are fed up with the Govt. and they just want a share of the pie. People like MEND and co could possibly gather/drum support locally and have support from foreign powers enough to start a civil unrest in Nigeria.

Another example that will suggest otherwise on your views are the recent Religion violence. Remember it was more or less a case of Igbos tagging with Yorubas to fight back the hausas? You see the situation is really ripe for a civil unrest in Nigeria, we just need a catalyst of some kind.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by labiyemmy(m): 9:31am On May 11, 2009
@Nuzo

Take it easy, I can swear to you that things are not as bad as you have written in your opening missive, there are still many good things going on in Nigeria, it is not all gloom for the over 120 million people in the country, why not take a trip home and see how you can contribute? no matter how little? There is just no way you can keep away and still hope you can help, absolutely no way, there is no need giving up, because when things get better, where else do you gio to?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ikeyman00(m): 9:33am On May 11, 2009
they sit there talkin like nigeria is some kinda of programm but whilist the problem are the people, and will always be, just like the obamas and co are tryin still hard to get things movin, those morons are on diferent agenda!!

in the same system fashola step on revampin lagos,

the thing is those in power are human , heartless bastard that u wonder if they reason at all cuz , from the on set, just like obj they spent the whole tenure without any reason benchmark achievement

u could blame corruption, but as for me if they have some reasonable and considerable mandate, corruption should be an impedance,

the thing is those in power,mostly all are heartless slowpoke

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

No Victor No Vanquished - How true? / 99.9% Of Ilorin People Are Yorubas, is the king of saudia arabic , a Fulani man / Senate To Probe Governor's Role In ₦6.25 Billion NDDC Palliative Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.