Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging (6659 Views)

It’s Senseless, Needless For PDP To Oppose PMB- Gov Umahi / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) / Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Nobody: 12:25am On May 14, 2009
UK where Ibime lives is about 1/5 of Nigeria.

How many seaports do they have?

over 20 seaports

Those in Isle of man, Channel Islands and Jersey have not died . . . . . I dont think the perople in Niger-Delta even have better environment than them. So people need to grow up and allow others grow so that they too can grow.

Personally I think their is need for a World Class seaport in Onitsha and Calabar.

As we speak a lot of Businesses and Manufacturers are suffering because of over congestion at Lagos someone is talking about the speed of flow in the atlantic ocean.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by DRANOEL(m): 10:01am On May 14, 2009
ijaw oppose the dredging of river niger? hmmmmmmmn
this is a pure case of a baby crying foul so as not to lose the attention of the mother. dredging the niger will be about the best thing that would have happened to nigeria economically,imagine what this will do to ports congestion as onitsha,lokoja,niger,makurdi e.t.c will be opened! anyone crying foul should be considered an enemy of progress

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by tpiah: 1:48pm On May 14, 2009
people are consistently failing to see the difference between a seaport and a river port?

River Niger is a river although a huge one.

The Atlantic ocean which borders the coastline, is the sea.

At least this link makes that distinction.

http://wikimapia.org/1472715/Onitsha-River-Port

Dont know why this must turn into another tribal vs state thingy, with people rushing to claim some parts are intentionally being developed and others neglected as part of some vast tribe related conspiracy.

You have to consider the geographical factors here. Look at the strengths and limitations of the specific area in question, instead of rushing to build a structure that may endanger lives in future like those collapsing buildings in lagos.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by jeanafrik(f): 11:39pm On May 14, 2009
I concur to that. i believe this is a selfish means to a selfish end. Dredging the river niger will cause flooding of the coastal region,so what happens to the people,they are wiped off like a pandemic. An environmental impact assessement must be carried out.
Enough is enough,the niger delta has suffered too many losses
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by udezue(m): 2:57am On May 15, 2009
Why do I keep feeling like out of all the Southern groups, Eastern groups in particular, the Ijaws are always known to be hostile towards any progressive idea. Biafra they oppose it, dredging they oppose it, I bet you give em a few years they will be the ones asking for a seaport in Bayelsa just like they are the ones screaming for autonomy / resource control / secession more than the rest of the East that wanted it before breaking away.

Why are these people always known to create trouble out of any good? Why are they so behind?

I support Onitsha seaport jare. How can a commercial state like Anambra not have its own seaport? In fact we all know that Asaba Delta and other states down the line will also benefit so its not just Onitsha.

I'm sure not all Ijaw think like this but the empty drums among them sure can make the loudest noise.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by biina: 4:18am On May 15, 2009
It is about time Nigeria makes better use of our waterways as means of transportation. But before we go about dredging every stream in every village, one needs to exercise caution when dealing with waterways, as they are one of the most unpredictable resources.

Minimal dredging is required of the Niger to support local sea faring. The issue arises when one seeks to make it habitable for ocean liners. This will require dredging the river from the Niger delta entry, all the way upstream to Onitsha (or any other relevant city). The environmental effect of such a project should not be under estimated. The dredging would aim to increase the trough of the Niger, a move that would result in a larger unified body of water, which has a higher possibility of charting its own path (a consequence that can be quite disastrous for the Niger deltas region). Even aquatic life are selective of the volume of river they survive in (e.g. a fish must be able to swim against the current and large water bodies breed larger aquatic life and predators). The whole project might end up changing the geography of the surrounding land mass.

If there is nothing to fear, then let the studies be carried out, and the findings made public for all. After all, the entire study need take no more than six months.

For those that questions the motives of the Ijaws, I share your views, but that does not discount that fact that they have raised a valid point. To appreciate the long term effects of dredging, many should visit the oil producing areas where the dredging of smaller water ways have made them impassable to small crafts like canoes, hence breaking off interconnections between many villages.

It will not be surprising if some of the current proponents of indiscriminate dredging of the Niger, were among those who shared similar sentiments to the ijaws, when the IBB administration toyed with the idea of diverting the naija into Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Nobody: 4:57am On May 15, 2009
biina:

It is about time Nigeria makes better use of our waterways as means of transportation. But before we go about dredging every stream in every village, one needs to exercise caution when dealing with waterways, as they are one of the most unpredictable resources.

Minimal dredging is required of the Niger to support local sea faring. The issue arises when one seeks to make it habitable for ocean liners. This will require dredging the river from the Niger delta entry, all the way upstream to Onitsha (or any other relevant city). The environmental effect of such a project should not be under estimated. The dredging would aim to increase the trough of the Niger, a move that would result in a larger unified body of water, which has a higher possibility of charting its own path (a consequence that can be quite disastrous for the Niger deltas region). Even aquatic life are selective of the volume of river they survive in (e.g. a fish must be able to swim against the current and large water bodies breed larger aquatic life and predators). The whole project might end up changing the geography of the surrounding land mass.

If there is nothing to fear, then let the studies be carried out, and the findings made public for all. After all, the entire study need take no more than six months.

For those that questions the motives of the Ijaws, I share your views, but that does not discount that fact that they have raised a valid point. To appreciate the long term effects of dredging, many should visit the oil producing areas where the dredging of smaller water ways have made them impassable to small crafts like canoes, hence breaking off interconnections between many villages.

It will not be surprising if some of the current proponents of indiscriminate dredging of the Niger, were among those who shared similar sentiments to the ijaws, when the IBB administration toyed with the idea of diverting the naija into Abuja.

Environmental Impact assessment is welcome but it is for the consumption of particularly the people of Onitsha and by extension Nigeria as a whole.

Ijaw or INC has no special business in this issue.

It is of no more concern to the INC as it is to the man in Maidugiri.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by biina: 5:49am On May 15, 2009
mikeansy:

Environmental Impact assessment is welcome but it is for the consumption of particularly the people of Onitsha and by extension Nigeria as a whole.

Ijaw or INC has no special business in this issue.

It is of no more concern to the INC as it is to the man in Maidugiri.
Is the dredging limited to the onitsha end only or from the sea upwards to yenogoa to onitsha? It definitely is the latter, as the delta region is shallower than the onitsha-asaba area. If that is true, then all along the path should be concerned about the environmental impact of the project.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Nobody: 6:49am On May 15, 2009
I think its from River Niger to the Atlantic ocean to allow easy flow
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by biina: 7:01am On May 15, 2009
mikeansy:

I think its from River Niger to the Atlantic ocean to allow easy flow
Then everybody along the path should be carried along.

It will be a big shame if ethnic squabbles once again deny us the opportunity of taking another step forward. Making use of our internal waterways, along with the rehabilitation of the rail system, will go a long way in ridding us of the menace of articulated vehicles, (affectionately called trailers). Trailers contribute heavily to the poor conditions of Nigerian expressways. Their weight makes them prime culprit for deforming road surfaces, leading to port holes. In developed countries, such heavy vehicles are limited to specific roads, unlike in Nigeria when they can go anywhere they please. Add their poor driving habits and they become the angel of death on the roads.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Ibime(m): 10:23am On May 15, 2009
biina, you be be correct guy. Mikeansy's brain is stuck in Neanderthal mode. Again, like I said, nobody opposes the dredging. It is certainly needed to ease port-congestion. IYC have already said they are in support of it. However, they must release the report of the environmental study for all to see.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by biina: 11:02am On May 15, 2009
Ibime:

biina, you be be correct guy. [b]Mikeansy's brain is stuck in Neanderthal mode. [/b]Again, like I said, nobody opposes the dredging. It is certainly needed to ease port-congestion. IYC have already said they are in support of it. However, they must release the report of the environmental study for all to see.
That is uncalled for. You can make your contribution without attacking the personality of another.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by FACE(m): 2:56pm On May 15, 2009
What is worth doing, is worth doing properly. I do not think that it is unreasonable to demand to know the findings of an EIA before the commencement of the project for which the EIA was done.

There is always a solution to most problems and any recommendation by the EIA should be addressed in the method statement or method of work.

The project will add value to the Nigerian economy and hopefully the dredging will extend to Lokoja in the future.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by wirinet(m): 11:04pm On May 15, 2009
How can Nigeria develop when our senses is eroded by tribalism (if it is not religion). The People of the Fragile lower Niger Delta are asking for a proper Environmental Impact Assessment before their rivers can be dredged and some Yoruba people and Ibo opportunists are crying foul, and thinking only of what they stand to benefit. But when governor Fashola orders stoppage of dredging from lagos lagoon ( a far more stable Land), because a proper Environmental Impact Assessment had not been carried out, everybody (especially the Yorubas) was hailing Gov. Fashola. Now the cost of sand for building has hit the roof.

You can not compare the small dredging in Lagos which is used for construction purposes only to dredging whole rivers and creeks of the Niger Delta.

I do not think Nigeria as a country can move forward when we all think only of our personal interest.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by ow11(m): 11:18pm On May 15, 2009
When floods drown villages along its path in RV,BY,DT and Imo states, these same proponents of the dredging would blame everything from sabotage to demons before even considering that deepening tidal channels will probably have dire consequences in the future to the surrounding areas.

The delta is formed by both actions of a low energy river and the longshore currents of the ocean. By simply increasing the energy of the river( via dredging), you distort the stability of the flood plain and can even cause a distortion to how the ocean reacts with the adjourning coastline. If this conversion has to take place, an EIA has to be published for all to see and measures should be taken to ensure that the human beings living around the river do not suffer unnecessarily because some people want to score a political point.

@Eziachi

Is it a bad idea to improve the handling capacity of the Calaber or PH ports and build good rail lines from the said cities to Nnewi, Oba, Onitsha and Abakaliki?

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by ikeyman00(m): 11:26pm On May 15, 2009
^^^^^^

all these nl suveryors make una take am easy

in a global world, nuclear submarine gone hidden, optical cables runnin under, dubia palm town built, world freight lane dregde, cave blown up to pave way for water flow to the turbines  etc

what is it with the nigerians whenever the east want progress

na woo
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Nobody: 11:35pm On May 15, 2009
nobody has a devine right over the atlantic ocean

the project has been awarded, any body who does not like it can go hang
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by SapeleGuy: 11:45pm On May 15, 2009
Ikeyman00 - Nobody is stopping the east from progressing, but this progress can not be at the expense of other people.
The truth is, it is not the Ijaw you need to worry about. Some of your brothers in the haulage and transport business are happy with the status quo.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by shotster50(m): 11:50pm On May 15, 2009
I think the dredging of the Niger is something really worth doing,  but like so many other worthwhile projects in Nigeria,  I doubt it will see the light of day.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 15, 2009
it is not going to be at the expense of anybody

all we need to do is ensure there is quality and safety concerns taken care off

There is no need hidding behind we will drown in the ocean to oppose anything good coming to Nigeria. Nigeria is too big to have just 3 or so seaports

There is no need to oppose it, just demand Health and Safety considerations are taken care off

period!!!!!!!

Nigerians should grow up!!
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by SapeleGuy: 12:02am On May 16, 2009
Mikeansy - Come on, I love my country and all but health and safety, You know they are not interested in that. Bigger and more valuable projects ignore health and safety what makes you think this will be any different.

If the environmental impact assessment is not revisited, award of contract or not, dredging contractors will enter that area at their own risk. You only need to look at what MEND is doing in the oil sector.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by MrCrackles(m): 12:04am On May 16, 2009
Na wa oo! undecided
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Nobody: 12:08am On May 16, 2009
Sapeleguy

well fortunately Mend has a territory and the last time I checked it does not include Onitsha

We support thorough Environmental Impact Assessment and if there is any forseeable problem the project should be discontinued . . . . . and I doubt there will be enough credible argument against it.

However nobody needs to seek permission from or bribe INC
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by SapeleGuy: 12:25am On May 16, 2009
How these big boats go fit reach onitsha, if dem no dredge other places for niger delta?
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Nobody: 1:00am On May 16, 2009
SapeleGuy:

How these big boats go fit reach onitsha, if dem no dredge other places for niger delta?

U dont get it, the water ways belong to the Federal Republic of Nigeria

it is like an Edo man suggesting that Lagos-Benin expressway should not built except consulting a pressure group in Benin. It is a Federal Highway and belongs to the Federal Republic of Nigeria . . . . .at least while we have not changed our constitution to the contrary.

However, if the environmental impact assessment is carried out and members of the immediate community are at risk, then they must be either relocated or the project should be called off.

What I don't agree with is INC trying to be opportunistic. The waterways belong to Nigeria . . . . . its a property of the Federal republic of Nigeria not INC. That is the case until the constitution is changed to the contrary.

Except somebody wants to suggest that before anything (goods and services) is moved from one part of the country to the other then pressure groups must be settled along the line

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by Strength10: 1:49am On May 16, 2009
River Niger should be dredged though i agree that all environmental concerns should be addressed. It is long overdue. The economic impact of this to Nigeria will be enormous not just to the Southeast. Most containers imported in Nigeria end up in the southeast, so it will make perfect sense to have a port there. This will decrease road accidents from heavy trucks, road congestion, arm-rubbery, relieve the congestion in Lagos and increase the economy of both the North and south since onitsha is centrally located in Nigeria.
Everybody is now crying about environmental damage but nobody has stopped the gas flaring or oil spills in the Niger delta because all these big mouths are receiving kickbacks from the oil money. Maybe some feel they have nothing to gain from the Dredging. The pollution and lack of regulation of oil spills and gas in the Delta poses more Danger than Dredging river Niger will ever pose.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by udezue(m): 2:47am On May 16, 2009
Real talk Strength. Real case of misplaced priority.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by naijaking1: 4:21am On May 16, 2009
2009, more than 100 years after inland water ways have been perfected in Europe and America, we're still debating on whether Nigeria needs inland water ways or not. The worst of these debates has been that the water belong to the Ijaw people, therefore the Ibimes and Sapeleguys of this World has had no problems reminding us that the project would benefit Igbos.

Another diversion is to insit that the project wait for an environmenta impact analysis. For the record Nigeria a department of in-land water ways. If the employees know their onions there is no reason why a sizable ship,boat or tug cannot go from the ocean, to Onitsha, to Lokoja, and even Makurdi, and Kainji areas.

For those asking for EIA, not that I do oppose it, but show me the EIA on the airport, highway, railway, or even the crude oil extractions in your area to date. There will be an impact, but it might be also positive.

Also, the EIA may not always be against a particular project, infact some have shown the need to hasten certain projects, and the Onitsha River port may be one of them.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by wirinet(m): 12:32pm On May 16, 2009
The major tribes (Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo) are so selfish that they feel that once their interests are satisfied, every other person can go to hell. Well let me tell you that it is the Minorities that keep Nigeria together and made all the sacrifices neccessary to keep Nigeria going.

I am appauled the the reasoning of people from the Major tribes on this forum, I made mention that the Lagos State Government had stopped all dredging in Lagos and Sand has to be sourced from Ogun State for about 2 yrs now due to EIA and no body in this room has condemned the Lagos State Government. So I do not really understand why an EIA is so much of a big problem with the Lower Niger Delta. If Lagos was on the Niger Delta, would the Yoruba allow the federal Govt. to just dredge their rivers without a risk assessment?

My village is along the Banks of the Niger Delta and I know how much we are suffering as a result of oil drilling in the name of one Nigeria of which we benefit nothing. My village has sunk further so much so that the last time i visited out wooden stilt huts we us as houses had to be built with taller stilts. Moving around the Village had to be done with very high rain boots.

The most annoying thing is most people opposing this Environmental impact Assessment had never been to the villages of the Niger Delta and cannot survive a day under the condition the people are forced to live in. So our ancestoral lands should be distroyed to show we love Nigeria because the owners of Nigeria wants to Enjoy ports in Onitsha and Maiduguri.

We are only asking that you people should show us how you will dredge the rivers without distroying our villages. we also want to know the benefit to us (the people and not polititians ). We are only asking for a holistic solution.

Further more there are ports in Koko, Sapele, Portharcourt and Calabar. What is happening to these ports and why are they comatose, is it because they are not situated in WAZOBIA land. With all these argument about the centality of Onitsha, how far is Onitsa from Koko or Portharcourt?. It is amazing that we have about 6 ports in Nigeria but only two located in Lagos are used resulting in a backlog of ships waiting to berth.

That is why I think before we can do anything in Nigeria, we have to sit down and discuss the basis on our one Nigeria. Someone here says the rivers of the Niger Delta belongs to the federal government, then what about the Lagos Lagoon, the Ogun River and the Osun River or even the Arugungun River.

People had lived along the rivers of the Niger Delta before Mongo Park and want to continue living there wether in one Nigeria or not.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by SapeleGuy: 1:00pm On May 16, 2009
Wirinet- Thank you. An excellent post.

Naijaking- I am for the progress of all ethnic groups but there is more to Nigeria than Wazobia. There can be no peace if your progress is at the expense or detriment of other people.

We have already had our rivers, land and water aquifers polluted by petroleum waste, now we must put up with the potential for major floods as well. If the potential wasn't there for flooding then dredge to your hearts content.

You guys are so quick to cry tribalism, the river port facilities should be developed so igbo and others can own barges and reap the economic benefit and not just foreign shipping companies that own the mega shipping vessels.  If sizeable ships, tugs and barges can plough the niger now, why do we need to spend N36 billion on this project?

The container business is not the main reason for this, if it was, they would have improved all the other ports longest time.
The govt wants to be able to get steel, petroleum products to ajaokuta, lokoja and the north. Onitsha river port is a convenient excuse, you are being used yet again.

Ask yourselves what these governments have done that has really benefitted the south east zone. Anambra already suffers with massive gully erosion, how will this help?  Maybe we should try Mikeansys solution and relocate these people.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/10948/40/
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by biina: 5:46pm On May 16, 2009
I think moving the capital away from Lagos is one of the best geopolitical moves of recent times (irrespective of any ulterior motives behind it).

The development of Lagos came at a huge cost to other parts of the countries. Successive government perpetuated the avalanche effect (like the rich getting richer) so much that Lagos has outpaced the entire nation in all departments: the good the bad and the ugly.

Pre-independence, the margin between the major cities was not so much, but presently, Lagos is head above everyone else. The earlier we start developing other cities, the easier it would be for us to become a true federation.
Re: Ijaws Oppose River Niger Dredging by tpiah: 6:12pm On May 16, 2009
biina:

I think moving the capital away from Lagos is one of the best geopolitical moves of recent times (irrespective of any ulterior motives behind it).

The development of Lagos came at a huge cost to other parts of the countries. Successive government perpetuated the avalanche effect (like the rich getting richer) so much that Lagos has outpaced the entire nation in all departments: the good the bad and the ugly.

Pre-independence, the margin between the major cities was not so much, but presently, Lagos is head above everyone else. The earlier we start developing other cities, the easier it would be for us to become a true federation.

Your argument is too simplistic and more likely to stoke tribal sentiment, because you're trying to confirm the allegations of intentional neglect without considering other factors.

Being a seaport had nothing to do with Lagos' development, I suppose? That's like saying moving the US capital from Philadelphia and New York to Washington DC was because other parts of the country werent being developed.

One of the greatest problems Nigeria has is the tribal close minded mentality of being out to "get" other tribes and at the same time being convinced other tribes are out to "get" you. A relic of the old headhunting days no doubt.

This leads to communities struggling to put "their" people in crucial political positions in so "their" candidate has a portfolio to develop ONLY his tribal area and nowhere else. Thus for most of them, their hands are tied even before they get there. If such an individual doesnt promote only his own area, he/s seen as a traitor by most of his tribesmen.

Like i said, look at the topography. The capital was moved to Abuja for reasons of security, from what I heard. Lugard had wanted to place it in Kaduna but decided on lagos instead.

Lagos isnt the only city in Nigeria that has some level of development- if you think otherwise then you dont know much about the country. Lagos may have the most skyscrapers (maybe), but there are other places with high population and which have a fair standard of living.

The type of delta we have in Nigeria is either a wave or river dominated type. The coastline changes as you move west- these are all natural factors and not man made. Same way the topography changes as you move north.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kill Traditional Ruler In Gombe / $1.92bn Malabu Oil Deal:why We Can’t Prosecute Adoke, Madueke, Aganga Yet:malami / IPOB- Right Ideology But Wrong Methodology!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.