Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

The Rot Of Students' Union, The Downfall Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Rot Of Students' Union, The Downfall Of Nigeria (642 Views)

An Open Letter to Federal Government by Great Ife Students' Union / ‘those Celebrating My Downfall Celebrated Too Soon!’ – Ben Murray-bruce / The Rot In IMO!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rot Of Students' Union, The Downfall Of Nigeria by youngprof1990(m): 11:52pm On Nov 06, 2015
THE ROT OF STUDENTS’ UNION, THE DOWNFALL OF NIGERIA
Students’ union of today has become rancid due to the change in system of leadership from the grass root to the apex. The sole aim of founding student union has been neglected for something else which has caused, is causing, and will cause series of calamity to Nigerian students and the nation at large if the orientation of engaging in unionism cannot be changed from selfishness to selfless services, if the so-called leaders of our union today cannot see the position of their leadership as a sacred mandate from Nigerian students and God almighty.
However, the discouraging story of students’ union in Nigeria is that of whatever discouragement one could ever think of in their wildest imagination. Looking at the environment where student union exists, they mostly exist as “political vegetables”, neglecting the cross they are called to carry.
Moreover, it has become our usual habit to make pledges that we will not fulfill. We sing day and night
‘’Arise, O compatriots!
Nigerians call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labour of our Heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One Nation bound in freedom
Peace and Unity’’.
The student union which should be a charge for Nigeria government has now lost its vibrancy, competency and total power. My fellow comrades, my fellow country-men (compatriots), when are we going to be liberated from the government of semi-slavery! When will we enjoy the freedom of democracy! When will we retrieve the labour of our past heroes from destruction and restore the lost glory of our union and Nigeria! When will we put aside negligence and self interest for service with heart and might! When will we fix the worn out peace and unity to say
‘’Nigeria we hail thee
Our own dear native land
Though tribe and tongue may differ
In brotherhood we stand
Nigeria, I’m proud to serve
Our sovereign motherland’’.
It is time we are guided, it is time we restore the lost glory of our union.

COM. FALOHUN PETER PELUMI

a.k.a. #YoungProf.
Students’ union of today has become rancid due to the change in system of leadership from the grass root to the apex. The sole aim of founding student union has been neglected for something else which has caused, is causing, and will cause series of calamity to Nigerian students and the nation at large if the orientation of engaging in unionism cannot be changed from selfishness to selfless services, if the so-called leaders of our union today cannot see the position of their leadership as a sacred mandate from Nigerian students and God almighty.
However, the discouraging story of students’ union in Nigeria is that of whatever discouragement one could ever think of in their wildest imagination. Looking at the environment where student union exists, they mostly exist as “political vegetables”, neglecting the cross they are called to carry.
Moreover, it has become our usual habit to make pledges that we will not fulfill. We sing day and night
‘’Arise, O compatriots!
Nigerians call obey
To serve our fatherland
Shall never be in vain
Peace and Unity’’.
The student union which should be a charge for Nigeria government has now lost its vibrancy, competency and total power. My fellow comrades, my fellow country-men (compatriots), when are we going to be liberated from the government of semi-slavery! When will we enjoy the freedom of democracy! When will we retrieve the labour of our past heroes from destruction and restore the lost glory of our union and Nigeria! When will we put aside negligence and self interest for service with heart and might! When will we fix the worn out peace and unity to say
‘’Nigeria we hail thee
Our own dear native land
In brotherhood we stand

a.k.a. #YoungProf.
‘’Arise, O compatriots!
Nigerians call obey
To serve our fatherland
Shall never be in vain
Peace and Unity’’.
‘’Nigeria we hail thee
Our own dear native land
In brotherhood we stand

a.k.a. #YoungProf.
e-mail; peterpelumi1990@gmail.com
Re: The Rot Of Students' Union, The Downfall Of Nigeria by mikolo80: 3:45am On Nov 07, 2015
guy, hunger is real
Re: The Rot Of Students' Union, The Downfall Of Nigeria by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:08am On Nov 07, 2015
Student unionism at the national level died when NUNS was killed. When it resurrected as NANS, it became an appendage of successive government, bereft of any goal and principle. Just last month, of all Nigerians, Buruji Kashamu was picked by them as the man of the year.

The flag of a true unionism is, however, still being flown in OAU, Ile-Ife. Formerly, Unilag, UI, Unimaid, etc were known for vibrant unionism.
Re: The Rot Of Students' Union, The Downfall Of Nigeria by youngprof1990(m): 8:05am On Nov 07, 2015
Orlando, pls permit me to use part of ur comment because I am planning to publish this post. You can still help by sending supplementary comment to my mail; peterpelumi1990@gmail.com Hoping to receive from you bro.
Re: The Rot Of Students' Union, The Downfall Of Nigeria by miqos02(m): 8:06am On Nov 07, 2015
up nans

(1) (Reply)

Wada, Umahi, Others Worst Governors —report / Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion / A Legal Examination Of The Judgment Of The Taraba State Governorship Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.