Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,923 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" (32262 Views)

Construction Of 2 Bedroom Block Of 6 Flats In Owerri,imo State / My Portharcourt Eneka 6 Flats Project. / The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 2:31am On Feb 04, 2016
Offloading more sand for the decking........

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 2:35am On Feb 04, 2016
The decking wood work is ongoing.............

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 2:38am On Feb 04, 2016
More pictures, the iron fitters might resume work at this site tomorrow.

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by CharlesAA: 12:30pm On Feb 05, 2016
spyder880:
Top of the first decking...........

Hi Spyder880,

Where are you buying this blocks in owerri, they really look made of quality material with good mix.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 3:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
CharlesAA:

Hi Spyder880,

Where are you buying this blocks in owerri, they really look made of quality material with good mix.

I bought this set from Umuguma road.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 6:27pm On Feb 06, 2016
Updates......

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 6:31pm On Feb 06, 2016
More......

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by whirlwind7(m): 6:38am On Feb 07, 2016
Jagaban2016:
Oga Spyder, please what is the budget for this project and how many Sqm are you using?

spyder880:
The compound...........

Would be helpful to have this info, as well. Would it be ok to site a building of this dimension on a 500sq meter plot?

Spyder880, please could you shed some light on this? If you need to be discreet about it, then I understand.
You are doing a nice job here!
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 6:58am On Feb 07, 2016
whirlwind7:

Would be helpful to have this info, as well. Would it be ok to site a building of this dimension on a 500sq meter plot?

Spyder880, please could you shed some light on this? If you need to be discreet about it, then I understand.
You are doing a nice job here!

This building can perfectly fit into a 500 sqm land , I will later send the site and house analysis, thanks.
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by whirlwind7(m): 7:15am On Feb 07, 2016
spyder880:

This building can perfectly fit into a 500 sqm land , I will later send the site and house analysis, thanks.

Thanks for the prompt response, but I made a mistake with my dimensions. The plot is actually 100ft x 50ft. This makes it about 464.5 sqm.
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 4:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
whirlwind7:

Thanks for the prompt response, but I made a mistake with my dimensions. The plot is actually 100ft x 50ft. This makes it about 464.5 sqm.

454 sqm will take a double wing of 2 bedroom flats.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:22pm On Feb 10, 2016
The stairs under construction today. ......

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
Busy right here......

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
More

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:34pm On Feb 10, 2016
More. .......

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:39pm On Feb 10, 2016
Buy electrical conduit pipes .........

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:44pm On Feb 10, 2016
Baking concrete biscuits. .... and using it under the reinforcement rods.....

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:52pm On Feb 10, 2016
Conduit piping......

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by ghetto101(m): 8:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hello spyder, could you please help me with this? after pouring the concret for the german floor how long do you have to leave it to dry up ?

Thanks in advance.

spyder880:
Start to form the first blocks..........
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 10:44pm On Feb 10, 2016
ghetto101:
Hello spyder, could you please help me with this? after pouring the concret for the german floor how long do you have to leave it to dry up ?

Thanks in advance.

It all depends on the conditions of the cast and the environment. It is always advisable to allow concrete to cure for some days if you can afford to wait before loading it with weight. But if your engineer sees reasons to continue work maybe 48 hours after a cast, he may have good reasons for doing that.
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:46am On Feb 11, 2016
Hot deliveries. .... cheesy

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by mufutau55(m): 3:59pm On Feb 11, 2016
spyder880:
Hot deliveries. .... cheesy

Is that a 30 tons quantity, Boss?

Hajji M.
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by davinchi(m): 5:29pm On Feb 11, 2016
Weldone boss, you truly know your onions and I want to tap from your wealth of experience. Sorry to digress, What is the best material to use in patching holes on roof(Metcopo steptiles) to prevent water leakage on POP ceiling? Silicon gum , flash band or what else and which is the best? Thanks a million and God bless you.

[b][/b]
ghetto101:

Thanks in advance.

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by ghetto101(m): 7:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Thanks alot.

spyder880:

It all depends on the conditions of the cast and the environment. It is always advisable to allow concrete to cure for some days if you can afford to wait before loading it with weight. But if your engineer sees reasons to continue work maybe 48 hours after a cast, he may have good reasons for doing that.

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by jikings(m): 7:26pm On Feb 15, 2016
Oga Spyder....I have been following your work for a fews years now...Excellent work and most importantly your integrity is unprecedented. How much is this blocks of flats projected for including finishing.? I'm considering doing the same in override but a student hostel?

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by MrTeCO(m): 1:52am On Feb 16, 2016
Following cos very soon I'll be a landlord myself. Hoping on God to butter my Bread.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 6:08am On Feb 16, 2016
jikings:
Oga Spyder....I have been following your work for a fews years now...Excellent work and most importantly your integrity is unprecedented. How much is this blocks of flats projected for including finishing.? I'm considering doing the same in override but a student hostel?

We are doing this for N16 m for the construction stage till roofing is done. The finish will depend on the quality of items chosen. Thanks.
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by Demainman1: 8:49am On Feb 16, 2016
Prof Spyder, I am still full of admiration for your work and integrity. More God blessings sir. My question is,

Do we not have marine board in the east for decking etc? Brabus is making good use of those in Lagos. It is quite cost effective in the long run as it is reusable and the finishing is also great.

Kindly research it and become the pioneer in the east if possible
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by brabus(m): 9:29am On Feb 16, 2016
Demainman1:
Prof Spyder, I am still full of admiration for your work and integrity. More God blessings sir. My question is,

Do we not have marine board in the east for decking etc? Brabus is making good use of those in Lagos. It is quite cost effective in the long run as it is reusable and the finishing is also great.

Kindly research it and become the pioneer in the east if possible

Sir Demainman1, you mentioned my name.

Some business models and tactics can never work here in Nigeria. I can agree that marine board is good, efficient, economical in the long run, easy to install and more inportantly, it makes a construction work looks more professional. But!!! It comes at a price.

When I started hiring boards as part of our business model to build a quality house at the most affordable price, I never thought of the following problem:

1. Delay period
2. Storage and Transportation
3. Cost of maintenance.
4. Economic value to clients.

Delay Period
As good as marine rental business is, I've had to face the harsh realities. One project was held down for 4 months after we've installed boards, reinforcement and was just about to cast. The reason was due to lack of funding. We couldn't pull off the board and we just had to leave with the issue. Another one was 6 months period of waiting.
Unless there's a firm agreement (which I really don't know how it can possibly work in Naija), this is going to cause some irregretable losses to both parties (the contractor and the owner). For me now, I'll suggest a marine board to clients, tell them about its advantages and disadvantages. So if you can afford it, you can buy.

Storage and Transportation
This is one of the most overlooked aspect of construction that eat deeply into our budgets. To run a successful rental business, you'll need a truck or van and employ able hands to assist in the transfer to/fro the boards to various sites. Now, these also comes at a cost which is not so favorable to an intending home owner. I can still remember one site where the locals took our boards and converted it to a table tennis. They even painted it.

Cost of Maintenance
I cannot really dwell much on this part but the boards need to be well maintained at all times.

Economic Value to Client
Except you're constructing a multi floor house or handling multiple units of houses, marine boards are not so economical in the long run for single builds.

Now, if you ask me as someone who have run the model before. Does it really worth the effort? I'll say "NO" it doesn't worth it as the client always feel cheated even though the contractor is making heavy losses on the rental.
Marine boards are very expensive and it's not an option when everyone is looking for affordable build.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by Demainman1: 12:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
brabus:

Some business models and tactics can never work here in Nigeria. I can agree that marine board is good, efficient, economical in the long run, easy to install and more inportantly, it makes a construction work looks more professional. But!!! It comes at a price.

When I started hiring boards as part of our business model to build a quality house at the most affordable price, I never thought of the following problem:

1. Delay period
3. Cost of maintenance.

Delay Period
As good as marine rental business is, I've had to face the harsh realities. One project was held down for 4 months after we've installed boards, reinforcement and was just about to cast. The reason was due to lack of funding. We couldn't pull off the board and we just had to leave with the issue. Another one was 6 months period of waiting.
Unless there's a firm agreement (which I really don't know how it can possibly work in Naija), this is going to cause some irregretable losses to both parties (the contractor and the owner). For me now, I'll suggest a marine board to clients, tell them about its advantages and disadvantages. So if you can afford it, you can buy.

This is one of the most overlooked aspect of construction that eat deeply into our budgets. To run a successful rental business, you'll need a truck or van and employ able hands to assist in the transfer to/fro the boards to various sites. Now, these also comes at a cost which is not so favorable to an intending home owner. I can still remember one site where the locals took our boards and converted it to a table tennis. They even painted it.

Cost of Maintenance
I cannot really dwell much on this part but the boards need to be well maintained at all times.

Economic Value to Client
Except you're constructing a multi floor house or handling multiple units of houses, marine boards are not so economical in the long run for single builds.

Now, if you ask me as someone who have run the model before. Does it really worth the effort? I'll say "NO" it doesn't worth it as the client always feel cheated even though the contractor is making heavy losses on the rental.
Marine boards are very expensive and it's not an option when everyone is looking for affordable build.

Thanks for this insight Brabus. Does this mean you no longer use marine boards for your work? I think it is an improvement to buying all these woods and wasting trees.

I think what we need are companies that specialize in scaffolding installationd instead of one person being jack of all trade like in your case.

Before any installation is done please ensure materials and funding for casting are already in place so that you don't tie your equipments down in one site for up to 6 months.

Brabus, if God answer my prayers for money I will surely employ your talent one day. Your presentations and interior decor skills are up there with the best of them.

God bless.
Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by spyder880(m): 1:01pm On Feb 16, 2016
brabus:

1. Delay period
3. Cost of maintenance.

Delay Period

Cost of Maintenance

Economic Value to Client

True words, I couldn't have put it better. I researched on marine boards and my results told me to "keep off"

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" by brabus(m): 1:31pm On Feb 16, 2016
Demainman1:

Thanks for this insight Brabus. Does this mean you no longer use marine boards for your work? I think it is an improvement to buying all these woods and wasting trees.

I think what we need are companies that specialize in scaffolding installationd instead of one person being jack of all trade like in your case.

Before any installation is done please ensure materials and funding for casting are already in place so that you don't tie your equipments down in one site for up to 6 months.

Brabus, if God answer my prayers for money I will surely employ your talent one day. Your presentations and interior decor skills are up there with the best of them.

God bless.

Oga, I still use marine boards and I'll continue to use in my projects but truth be told as much as we want the best finishes, not so many people can afford the cost and moreso Government is not helping the matter at all. A lot of these items are supposed to be subsidized for builders and developers whose main target is to deliver affordable homes by the government.

If you do cost comparison of using timber and marine board. A 300m2 slab built using a marine board will cost 625k while timber will cost 324k. The big gap is what I saw and I wish I could bridge for my clients but most people still feel like "Why does it cost so much?" "Are we not just renting the boards?"

As per ensuring that material and fund for slab are intact before commencing work, I wish we have many people who can do that. We have a lot of interesting reads online this days to buttress my point. How am I supposed to know the client is bouyant or not? The Oga who came in his G Wagon, using 800k wristwatch, and he wanted to build 6 duplex at once. It's not until recent I discovered that "Not all that glitters are gold"

There are shutter and formwork rental companies around and more people are joining the business. We hope the issue will be addressed in not too distant future. Just recently, I was able to do the formwork of a 4 board raft foundation (500sqm) for just 300k (cost covers formwork/shutter rental, labour and disassembly). Such deal will help drive down construction cost and help homeowners with small budget to build without compromise. And also help us builders to focus our mind to priority areas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Landlady Breaks Into Tenant's Door To Force Eviction (pics, Video) / 2-storey Building Collapses In Ojuelegba, Lagos / How Much Will It Cost Me To Build 3 Bedroom Flat At Ifo In Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.