Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,726 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (87935 Views)

A Thread For "James Hadley Chase" Readers. / All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Shear Your James Hadley Chase With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by dominobaby(f): 2:39pm On Jan 09, 2006
James Hardley Chase!!! My favourite author of all times. I never joked with his books and still will not.
I read a couple of them wayback, can't find any of mine now:

Lay her among the lilies.
Like a hole in the head,
A whiff of time
Want to stay alive? (Poke Toholo ) - this is a must read
Double shuffle,

men........... i can't seem to remember most of the titles now
more to come...........................
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 6:19pm On Jan 09, 2006
nicetohave, i've since given up. But somebody should try to answer my own quiz grin
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 6:38pm On Jan 09, 2006
Guys, check this out;

JAMES HADLEY CHASE*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al Barney is featured in:

An Ear to the Ground (1968) You're Dead Without Money (1972)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Fenner, a reporter turned private eye, is featured in:

No Orchids for Miss Blandish (1939)
APA The Villain and the Virgin Twelve Chinks and a Woman (1940)
APA 12 Chinamen and a Woman;
The Doll's Bad News

Mark Girland, a high-living (when he can) ex-CIA operative, is featured in:

This is for Real (1965)
You Have Yourself a Deal (1967)

Have this One on Me (1967)
Believed Violent (1968)
The Whiff of Money (1969)

Steve Harmas is featured in:

The Double Shuffle (1952)
There's Always a Price Tag (1956)
Shock Treatment (1959)
Tell it to the Birds (1963)

Vic Malloy, a private investigator in California, is featured in :

You're Lonely When You're Dead (1949)
Figure It Out for Yourself (1950)
APA The Marijuana Mob
Lay Her Among the Lilies (1950)
APA Too Dangerous to Be Free; Strictly for Cash

Helga Rolfe is featured in:

An Ace Up My Sleeve (1971)
The Joker in the Pack (1975)
I Hold the Four Aces (1977)

Frank Terrell is featured in:

The Soft Center (1964)
The Way the Cookie Crumbles (1965)
Well Now, My Pretty (1967)
There's A Hippie on the Highway (1970)

Non-series books:

The Dead Stay Dumb (1939)
APA Kiss My Fist!
Miss Callaghan Comes to Grief (1941)

Miss Shumway Waves a Wand (1944)

Eve (1945)

I'll Get You for This (1951)

The Flesh of the Orchid (1948)

You Never Know with Women (1949)

The Fast Buck
(1952)

This Way for a Shroud (1953)

I'll Bury My Dead (1953)

Tiger by the Tail (1954)

Safer Dead (1954)
APA Dead Ringer

You've Got It Coming (1955)

The Guilty Are Afraid
(1957)

Not Safe to Be Free (1958)
The Case of the Strangled Starlet

The World in My Pocket (1959)

What's Better Than Money? (1960)

Come Easy--Go Easy (1960)

A Lotus for Miss Quon (1960)

Just Another Sucker
(1961)

I Would Rather Stay Poor (1962)

A Coffin in Hong Kong (1962)
Cade (1966)
The Vulture Is a Patient Bird (1969)

Like a Hole in the Head
(1970)

Want to Stay Alive (1971)

Just a Matter of Time (1972)

Knock Knock Who's There? (1973)

Have a Change of Scene (1973)

Goldfish Have No Hiding Place (1974)

So What Happens to Me (1974)

Believe This, You'll Believe Anything (1975)

Do Me A Favor--Drop Dead (1975)

My Laugh Comes Last (1977)

Consider Yourself Dead (1978)

You Must Be Kidding (1979)

A Can of Worms (1979)

You Can Say That Again (1980)

Try This One for Size (1980)

Hand Me a Fig - Leaf (1981)

We'll Share a Double Funeral (1982)

Have a Nice Night (1982)

Not My Thing (1983)

Hit Them Where it Hurts (1984)

Get a Load of This (1984)

Written as Raymond Marshall
Brick-Top Corrigan, a corrupt ex-commando, is featured in:

Mallory (1950) Why Pick on Me? (1951)

Don Micklem, a millionaire playboy, is featured in:

Mission to Venice (1954)

Non-series books:

Lady--Here's Your Wreath (1940)
Just the Way It Is (1944)

Blonde's Requiem (1945)

Make the Corpse Walk
(1946)

No Business of Mine (1947)

Trusted Like the Fox (1948)

The Paw in the Bottle (1948)
In a Vain Shadow (1951)
But a Short Time to Live (1951)

The Wary Transgressor (1952)

The Things Men Do (1953)

The Sucker Punch (1954)

You Find Him--I'll Fix Him (1956)

Hit and Run (1958)

Written as Ambrose Grant
A non-series book:

More Deadly than the Male (1946)

Written as James L. Docherty
A non-series book:

He Won't Need It Now (1939)

* Chase didn't use a series character although some characters appeared in more than one book.

Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 6:57pm On Jan 09, 2006
Cushman i have to say that your list is impressive.

I have an answer to a part of your question, David Ellis made the statement but i don't know who he said it to, please lets have the answer.

Also the title "Lay her among the lilies" also comes under the title "too dangerous to be free"

Now to the answer to my questions:

The title of the novel the poem/quote came from is Youre Lonely when youre dead
Benny Ricks, one of Vic Malloy's investigators at universal services, a private investigating outfit said it
He composed it for the redhead Gail Bolus

It will interest every one that Vic Malloy also featured in Lay her among the lilies (that is my tip Bagoma, sorry  cheesy) but without Benny Ricks and Dana Lewis, two of his investigators who had died in Youre Lonely when youre dead, both killed by Mark Thayler and Gail Bolus respectively. cool

Better luck next quiz Bagoma and cushman  grin  maybe this might be of help

http://jameshadleychase.free.fr/summary.htm#T21

The poem/quote once again is

She was a Phantom of delight
When first she gleamed upon my sight
a lovely apparition sent
to be a moment's ornament

Anyone could easily confirm it in YOURE LONELY WHEN YOURE DEAD, the judges decision is final and is always fair cool

Have a pleasant evening. cool
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 7:11pm On Jan 09, 2006
"Treason is but trusted like the fox

who, ne'er so tame, so cherish'd and locked up

will have a wild trick of his ancestors"

Crane said it to me cushman(David Ellis)  cheesy

.... when he (crane) wanted to let David Ellis know that he knew all along he was the wanted

cushman the traitor and that trusting him is like trusting a fox!
        cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 7:29pm On Jan 09, 2006
@ nicetohave, perhaps your name should change to something like terribletotrust
i cant believe your declaration right now.
i'm mad, so grieviously vexxed..... the object of my anger?
the quiz master of course.
never will i trust a quiz master again, never! sad angry
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 7:56pm On Jan 09, 2006
well that means it'll be difficult to trust you cushman cheesy thanks for the answer

Bagoma, please calm down.............never trust even your lecturer if he's nodding while youre answering his questions, it doesnt mean youre getting it right.....it only means "have your facts right" cool

I have some chase to give away (about 5) on this forum and i'll surely send you a complimentary one still, but you got the question wrong. cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 8:14pm On Jan 09, 2006
you know why i'm mad?
you literally sent me the wrong way. you deceived me on purpose.
i didnt even want to participate in the first place.
oh i'm so so so so so mad. i feel like strangling someone's neck! that would surely make me feel better.
Now who could that be?

nicetohave, i think.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2006
How do i redeem my neck Baggy? grin hey this is all fun and youre a part of this thread, so its a must you have to participate in present and future contest on this thread.......feel me? cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2006
@nicetohave, you can trust me with your life and i will never betray you. Better believe that! grin
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 8:47pm On Jan 09, 2006
nicetohave,
tell you a secret, you only just think your neck is holding your head up, BUT its not! NO, not when i catch you. angry
you think i'll participate in your quiz again? now thats really funny, downright hillarious grin grin grin grin angry
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 8:52pm On Jan 09, 2006
Now a guy must have a way of pacifying a lady, even when he's cunning judge...........otherwise he's no more a man, dont let me down Baggy, whats it gonna be? cool
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 8:58pm On Jan 09, 2006
No its not as easy as that. try again. lipsrsealed
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 9:05pm On Jan 09, 2006
smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool rolleyes tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 9:42pm On Jan 09, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 10:17am On Jan 10, 2006
Bagoma, what nicetohave did was right cheesy please don't let him down
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 6:48pm On Jan 10, 2006
yeah, right cushman, why wont you be in support of him (cant bring myself to call him niceto anything) cool you already thought you had lost out to me didnt you.
now its your turn to laugh at me, mind you i am very, very mean. angry
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 6:52pm On Jan 10, 2006
Bagoma, why live in the past? cheesy let go and lets live grin cool

Quiz time, quiz time............ cool
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 7:00pm On Jan 10, 2006
quiz time indeed.
never. once bitten, 100 times shy!
cushman can be your candidate! you guys have fun,
ciao. cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 7:12pm On Jan 10, 2006
Oh come on bagoma, you can't just walk out on us just because of this. We need you here wink
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 7:33pm On Jan 10, 2006
infact, no Bagoma no quiz cry
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 9:33pm On Jan 10, 2006
Bagoma this is a give away, pleaseeeeeee :

" How dare you pry into my private papers ! You LovePeddler ! " he exclaimed harshly.
" I would rather be a LovePeddler than a crippled joke ! " she screamed at him.
Then it happened.
Blood rushed to his face, his mouth twisted, the canes slipped out of his hands and clattered on the floor. He clutched at his chest. The agony that swept through his thin body made her close her eyes. Then he toppled forward, suddenly boneless and fell at her feet.
Would he die ?

1) Who is the first person in the dialogue?
2) Who is the second person in the dialogue?
3) Name the James Hadley Chase title

Winner take all Baggy, common this world is fun, dont lose out on it......happy "answering" cheesy wink cool
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 10:49pm On Jan 10, 2006
oh, why am i not interested? cool

not as if i have a clue though. tongue
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 11:28pm On Jan 10, 2006
the answer is right in front of you, i said its a give away cool believe me this time ive repented
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 11:39pm On Jan 10, 2006
if i believe this, i'll believe anything. cool
no but no thanks!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 11:41pm On Jan 10, 2006
somebody is not fun here embarassed anyway cushman where are you?
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 4:38am On Jan 11, 2006
he's abandoned you to your game. ahah! cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 12:55pm On Jan 11, 2006
embarassed embarassed embarassed undecided undecided undecided cry cry okay ooo, ill just play it one sided, nothing says i cant play with my toys alone
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 5:02pm On Jan 11, 2006
bagoma:

he's abandoned you to your game. ahah! cheesy grin grin grin grin

I'm here cheesy. I don't run away from such challenges.

Now for the quiz... i'll see you later with the answer grin
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 7:42pm On Jan 12, 2006
@nicetohave, don't seem to know your answer. Please give us more time. wink

I just finished reading The Doll's bad news. Very interesting indeed!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 1:49am On Jan 13, 2006
Baggy, Cushman believe it or not this is a dead simple one;

ask yourself how many James Hadley chase featured a crippled man confined to a chair? if you can think about them and think about how many of them have a wife who he constantly refer to as a LovePeddler then you have clinched this one....believe it or not Bagoma, this is a give away, please talk to me, dont leave all to me, cushman over to you......... cool rolleyes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

On The Run (A Blockbuster Series) / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette / Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.