Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,937 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

5 Greatest Living Nigerians - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Greatest Living Nigerians (9889 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo. Like Or Loathe Him, Is The Greatest Living Nigerian. / Nigeria's Greatest Living Legends / Stv:nigeria's Greatest Living Legends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 7:05pm On May 15, 2009
khai_khai:

I see what you did there. nice one.

wink
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by messiah(m): 7:12pm On May 15, 2009
Great in which way? This wasn't so specific. But if by "great", you meant being famous and bringing pride and happiness  to common Nigerians (albeit momentarily), then from this shameful list, I'll choose Nwanko Kanu!
Granted that Nigerians put sentiment in whatever they do (I can bet my salary no Muslim chose the revered Pastor), one can't help but question the reliability of such a poll. (BTW, why was it conducted across Lagos only? angry)
Nothing unites Nigerians in these tough days more than the (then) performance of the national soccer team (which is sadly also crumpling). And Kanu has ,many times, being the cornerstone of that team. His name has resonated in all Nigerian homes ever since the mid 90s. One could hear the cheers and roars from one's home whenever he scored a goal or was about to be put on the field of play. For a country full of hopeless and helpless citizenry, this is what I call "greatness"!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by sunnela: 7:14pm On May 15, 2009
let's consider this we have archbishop olubunmi who is always castigating the govt for it's policies that inflict suffering on the masses and an adeboye who's always praying for obasanjo when he comes to camp instead of telling him the truth, and who do my peops vote for?, not surprising in a country where things will change if we spent a quarter of the time used in praying for the country to act right for her,
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by AloyEmeka9: 7:19pm On May 15, 2009
Chinua Achebe Writer: Maybe
King Sunny Ade Musician: Just a legendary musician and that's all.
Enoch Adeboye Pastor : A great pastor but still wouldn't qualify to me.
Dora Akunyili Minister of Information: May be.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku Former Commonwealth Secretary General: Why is he great?
David Dafinone Accountant: For wetin?
Aliko Dangote Industrialist: Why is he great?
Philip Emeagwali Computer scientist: I don't think so.
Anthony Enahoro Democracy activist: My number one pick
Gani Fawehinmi Human rights lawyer: Another great Nigerian
Yakubu Gowon Former military head of state: Great for what?
Nwankwo Kanu Footballer: My number two pick. He went outside his comfort zone for Nigerian children.
Balarabe Musa Politician: Why is he great
Olusegun Obasanjo Former president: May be for handing over to civilian govt in 1979.
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Biafran leader: He's an ethnic hero like Awolowo.
Anthony Okogie Cardinal of Mt Carmel of Mostacciano: Why is he great?
Hakeem Olajuwon Basketballer: I am greater than Hakeem. What has he done for Nigeria/ns with his success?
Wole Soyinka Nobel Laureate: My number 3 pick.
Pat Utomi Economist: My number 4 pick.
Akintola Williams Accountant: Why is he great?

Therefore: I picked: Enahoro,Kanu, Achebe, Gani, Soyinka and Utomi.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 7:19pm On May 15, 2009
I will not pick anyone on the list as the greatest living Nigerian.

My greatest living Nigerian is Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi, the man who designed the National Flag. He has been abandoned by the Government and the Nigerian people. Without the Nigerian Flag, we are nothing as a Nation and a people. All the people on the given list owe it to Taiwo Akinkunmi for them to be called Nigerians. Sola Odunfa did noit do his research well. We are a nation of people who forget too quickly and easily. God help us. Amen.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by AloyEmeka9: 7:20pm On May 15, 2009
Is Taiwo Akinkomi not dead?
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by tayo4me(f): 7:24pm On May 15, 2009
Redman44:

My greatest living Nigerian is Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi, the man who designed the National Flag. He has been abandoned by the Government and the Nigerian people. Without the Nigerian Flag, we are nothing as a Nation and a people. All the people on the given list owe it to Taiwo Akinkunmi for them to be called Nigerians. Sola Odunfa did noit do his research well. We are a nation of people who forget too quickly and easily. God help us. Amen.

Aloy.Emeka:

Is Taiwo Akinkomi not dead?

Whether dead or alive, what has designing Nigerian flag got to do with being great?
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by AloyEmeka9: 7:26pm On May 15, 2009
The title of the thread is: 5 Greatest LIVING Nigerians.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 7:28pm On May 15, 2009
Redman44:

WTF . . . . . WTF . . . . . WTF . . . . . WTF . . . . . WTF . . . . . WTF . . . . . WTF . . . . . WTF . . . . . WTF
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by MrCrackles(m): 7:29pm On May 15, 2009
Redman44:

I will not pick anyone on the list as the greatest living Nigerian.My greatest living Nigerian is Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi, the man who designed the National Flag. He has been abandoned by the Government and the Nigerian people. Without the Nigerian Flag, we are nothing as a Nation and a people. All the people on the given list owe it to Taiwo Akinkunmi for them to be called Nigerians. Sola Odunfa did noit do his research well. We are a nation of people who forget too quickly and easily. God help us. Amen.

Absolutely pathetic!

But not taking it away from you, after all, it is your opinion! cheesy
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 7:30pm On May 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Hakeem Olajuwon Basketballer: I am greater than Hakeem. What has he done for Nigeria/ns with his success?

Honestly, I couldn't agree more!

He might be great in Texas, but definitely not Nigeria.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 7:32pm On May 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

Absolutely pathetic!

But not taking it away from you, after all, it is your opinion! cheesy

Honestly, there should be a threshold below which people should not be allowed to have opinions. grin

Gawd!!!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by MrCrackles(m): 7:33pm On May 15, 2009
Sagamite:

Honestly, there should be a threshold below which people should not be allowed to have opinions. grin

Gawd!!!

Lolz

I fear for some people!! grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 7:39pm On May 15, 2009
Taiwo Akinkumi is not dead, mates. He is alive in Ibadan, Oyo State. For those who are badmouthing me, Nairaland does not belong to you, okay? Seun has not given any of you the power to tell members not to post on the site. Why is Taiwo Akinkunmi not on the list? This can never happen in advanced nations. I'm disappointed in the way some of you have reacted to my post. It shows how shallow many Nigerians think. What you should have told me to do is to give my reasons why I think he is the greatest living Nigerian. Why don't you do your research to know if he's alive? I stand by my words.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by bawomolo(m): 7:41pm On May 15, 2009
Philip Emeagwali Computer scientist

a fraud is nominated to be a living legend in Nigeria? what a suprise.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 15, 2009
Taiwo Akinkunmi  is so forgotten, people think he is dead.

Now that is funny, though sad.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 7:50pm On May 15, 2009
Pa Taiwo Akinkumi is also on Facebook. His Facebook Page was set up for him by a concerned group of Nigerian Undergraduates. Just because something fresh has been added to the discussion, I am immediately crucified. Look, I will only cast my vote for a man that left the luxury of England behind to come back to Nigeria. He designed the Nigerian Flag while he was in studying in Britain. I have a book on Flags of the World and it is painful that Taiwo Akinkumi's Profile was not in the book. Yet we have a Ministry of Information in Nigeria. Conduct your research on Pa Taiwo Akinkumi. Don't just castigate withouth sitting back to reflect on fresh posts on Nairaland.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by bawomolo(m): 7:54pm On May 15, 2009
the question is what makes him great for designing the flag?
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 7:55pm On May 15, 2009
khai_khai:

Taiwo Akinkunmi is so forgotten, people think he is dead.

Now that is funny, though sad.

You designed a lousy flag of green white green that a nursery school child can design, and all of a sudden the government should worship and care for you for the rest of your life?

What utter tosh. The fact you were paid for it and your name is recognised as the creator is enough dues. If you want you can privately organise, cash in and bask in the glory by touring media stations to remind them what you did.

THE GOVERNMENT OWES HIM NOTHING! Except IV cards to the occasionally national celebration days, where he should seat in the back row and clap when requested to.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by asha80(m): 7:55pm On May 15, 2009
Redman44:

Pa Taiwo Akinkumi is also on Facebook. His Facebook Page was set up for him by a concerned group of Nigerian Undergraduates. Just because something fresh has been added to the discussion, I am immediately crucified. Look, I will only cast my vote for a man that left the luxury of England behind to come back to Nigeria. He designed the Nigerian Flag while he was in studying in Britain. I have a book on Flags of the World and it is painful that Taiwo Akinkumi's Profile was not in the book. Yet we have a Ministry of Information in Nigeria. Conduct your research on Pa Taiwo Akinkumi. Don't just castigate withouth sitting back to reflect on fresh posts on Nairaland.

Nigerian government generally does not care about its citizens so i do not think Pa Taiwo Akinkumi's case would be different.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by dammizz(m): 7:56pm On May 15, 2009
Banom's crazy
I wonder why u just keep picking on that man.
U just one of the common haters, U better stop that nonsense
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by nolongTing: 7:57pm On May 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Chinua Achebe Writer: Maybe
King Sunny Ade Musician: Just a legendary musician and that's all.
Enoch Adeboye Pastor : A great pastor but still wouldn't qualify to me.
Dora Akunyili Minister of Information: May be.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku Former Commonwealth Secretary General: Why is he great?
David Dafinone Accountant: For wetin?
Aliko Dangote Industrialist: Why is he great?
Philip Emeagwali Computer scientist: I don't think so.
Gani Fawehinmi Human rights lawyer: Another great Nigerian
Yakubu Gowon Former military head of state: Great for what?
Nwankwo Kanu Footballer: My number two pick. He went outside his comfort zone for Nigerian children.
Balarabe Musa Politician: Why is he great
Olusegun Obasanjo Former president: May be for handing over to civilian govt in 1979.
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Biafran leader: He's an ethnic hero like Awolowo.
Wole Soyinka Nobel Laureate: My number 3 pick.
Pat Utomi Economist: My number 4 pick.
Akintola Williams Accountant: Why is he great?

Therefore: I picked: Enahoro,Kanu, Achebe, Gani, Soyinka and Utomi.  

Chinua Achebe Writer: No! He is very smart but what difference has he made?
King Sunny Ade Musician: Just a legendary musician and that's all - I AGREE
Enoch Adeboye Pastor : A great pastor but still wouldn't qualify to me -  I AGREE
Dora Akunyili Minister of Information: done what?
Chief Emeka Anyaoku Former Commonwealth Secretary General: Why is he great? - I AGREE
David Dafinone Accountant: For wetin?  grin grin grin
Aliko Dangote Industrialist: Why is he great? Because he has put Nigerian Business on the Map! Now in the west investors take Nigeria serious, The FT estimated his wealth to be $10BN!! That means he is the richest Blackman on earth, we need about 50 people like this to realize Nigerias Vision 2020 .
Philip Emeagwali Computer scientist: - so what? He has done nothing for Nigeria.
Gani Fawehinmi Human rights lawyer: Another great Nigerian - GREAT!!!
Yakubu Gowon Former military head of state: Great for what? This is a ridiculous inclusion.
Nwankwo Kanu Footballer: He went outside his comfort zone for Nigerian children. so what? In England the footballers do this all the time its standard, he has been well trained by them.
Balarabe Musa Politician: Why is he great - Yes why
Olusegun Obasanjo Former president: May be for handing over to civilian govt in 1979 + He left Nigeria Debt free + $50BN in the Bank + A solid Banking sector + Utilized our young talent like Soludo, Iweala.  Whether we like it or not he has had a gigantic input into Nigeria - But he is not great.
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Biafran leader: He's an ethnic hero like Awolowo, No Awo was waaaaaaaay better look at what they left behind.
Hakeem Olajuwon Basketballer:  This must be a misprint
Wole Soyinka Nobel Laureate: Hes Great!
Pat Utomi Economist: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Akintola Williams Accountant: Why is he great? Yes why

Therefore: I picked: Gani Fawehinmi, Aliko Dangote, Wole Soyinka   Thats it! picking any more would be condoning a weak, incomplete list I would include Soludo, Iweala, Fashola, Adenuga

Oh I forgot I would also include Yaradua and Iya Jamiu mama oniresi (JOKE!  grin grin grin grin grin).
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by bawomolo(m): 7:58pm On May 15, 2009
dammizz:

Banom's crazy
I wonder why u just keep picking on that man.
U just one of the common haters, U better stop that nonsense

are you saying the criticism of Adeboye are illegitimate
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 15, 2009
Abeg make follow follow people carry your yeye Adeboye praises go the religious section.

Pastor chop money, clean mouth.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by tayo4me(f): 8:01pm On May 15, 2009
Redman44:

I know we are all entitled to our opinion, and in your opinion, he is the greatest. But gosh we have to be logical and reasonable in whatever opinion we have. You really have not said why you think he is the greatest,, just because he designed the flag?, what is the big deal in doing that?, anybody could have done it, if not him
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by nolongTing: 8:03pm On May 15, 2009
tayo4me:

I know we are all entitled to our opinion, and in your opinion, he is the greatest. But gosh we have to be logical and reasonable in whatever opinion we have. You really have not said why you think he is the greatest,, just because he designed the flag?, what is the big deal in doing that?, anybody could have done it, if not him

I have read your post and I will be absolutely logical, I say we should have included seun osewa because he designed the banner for Nairaland! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 15, 2009
nolongTing:

I have read your post and I will be absolutely logical, I say we should have included seun osewa because he designed the banner for Nairaland! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nairaland has a banner?? shocked
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 8:05pm On May 15, 2009
tayo4me:

I repeat, some people should not be entitled to opinions.

nolongTing:

Abi o!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by nolongTing: 8:07pm On May 15, 2009
khai_khai:

Nairaland has a banner?? shocked

Havent you seen it? here it is: [size=18pt]Nairaland Forum[/size]
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 15, 2009
Sagamite:

I repeat, some people should not be entitled to opinions.

Com'on, don't be a dictator. Their opinions just suck, that's why you have trash bags.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 15, 2009
I will vote for Kanu Nwankwo, for setting up the kanu heart foundation for the less priviledged in the society, good man smiley
A pastor is the odd one out on that list at all, especially daddy g.o(Praise on the high seas, enter with your 7,000 US DOllars). He is a business man just like Aliko dangote, grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by kaym2: 8:11pm On May 15, 2009
dunno

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The BON Presidential Debate Of March 29th: Dara vs Ndok vs Utomi / Some Quotes On Corruption, Governance, Leadership, Poverty And Hunger. / Breaking: Kano Gov, Ganduje Collapses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.