Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

5 Greatest Living Nigerians - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Greatest Living Nigerians (9888 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo. Like Or Loathe Him, Is The Greatest Living Nigerian. / Nigeria's Greatest Living Legends / Stv:nigeria's Greatest Living Legends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Krayola(m): 4:06am On May 16, 2009
@redman. I agree he should have more recognition. I had never heard of him until i read your post and I think that is a shame. I'm not sure if that makes him one of the greatest Nigerians alive because the flag, besides being a national symbol, has not had much impact on the lives of average Nigerians who have little to be proud of about their country. Thats not his fault though, but I'm sure if Nigeria was really the giant of Africa we might appreciate the flag a lil more.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Totoma: 6:04am On May 16, 2009
Common folks when you say someone is great. This is not someone who not only leaves his or her giant footsteps on the sand of time; but who defines his or her success not by his or her possesion but how they have been able to turn life of others around.

Chinua Achebe Writer: He is great but tribalistic. He's great because we read his books all over the world. If you have taken World literature in college across USA you might have come across both Soyinka and his books.
King Sunny Ade Musician: Just a legendary musician and that's all - Not great!
Enoch Adeboye Pastor : A renown but not great!
Dora Akunyili Minister of Information: done what?
Chief Emeka Anyaoku Former Commonwealth Secretary General: H'se great? - I AGREE
David Dafinone Accountant: For wetin?  Not Great!
Aliko Dangote Industrialist: Why is he great? Because he has put Nigerian Business on the Map: So what that is no fortune without crime. For him to be balling I bet you millions of Nigerians are hurting. Not great! He's not a leader he just happened to be opportunist
Philip Emeagwali Computer scientist: - so what? He has done nothing for Nigeria. But he's great!
Anthony Enahoro Democracy activist: He's great!
Gani Fawehinmi Human rights lawyer: Another great Nigerian - GREAT!!!
Yakubu Gowon Former military head of state: Great for what? This is a ridiculous inclusion.
Nwankwo Kanu Footballer: He went outside his comfort zone for Nigerian children. so what? In England the footballers do this all the time its standard, he has been well trained by them.
Balarabe Musa Politician: Why is he great - Yes why Not Great!
Olusegun Obasanjo Former president: May be for handing over to civilian govt in 1979 + He left Nigeria Debt free + $50BN in the Bank + A solid Banking sector + Utilized our young talent like Soludo, Iweala.  Whether we like it or not he has had a gigantic input into Nigeria - But he is not great.
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Biafran leader: He's an ethnic hero. Not great by any means!
Anthony Okogie Cardinal of Mt Carmel of Mostacciano: Why is he great? If I am atheist how would he be great to me. He should go back to Rome to be great. Not great!
Hakeem Olajuwon Basketballer:  This must be a misprint(Where are not playing basketball here) How did you help Nigeria? I'm not saying you should sacrifice all your belongs just because you want to help. And my definition for any successful sport person is Legend Not great!
Wole Soyinka Nobel Laureate: He's Great!
Pat Utomi Economist: Just coming up, but must not  be too greedy about power and if you are giving the chance; I believe in technocrats like you. Not great!      
Akintola Williams Accountant: Why is he great? Not great in by means!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by AloyEmeka9: 7:56am On May 16, 2009

Chinua Achebe Writer: He is great but tribalistic. He's great because we read his books all over the world. If you have taken World literature in college across USA you
How is Achebe a tribalist?
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by skylooh(m): 8:25am On May 16, 2009
My list

NUHU RIBADU

NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA

GANI FAWEHIMI

WOLE SHOYINKA

AND LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST

SEUN , NO SEUN NO NAIRALAND OH grin una dey under estimate that guy oh
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by pappy2000: 8:54am On May 16, 2009
I think Obasanjo is the greatest Nigerian living
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by annyplenty(m): 10:01am On May 16, 2009
pappy2000:

I think Obasanjo is the greatest Nigerian living

I agree with you. We might not like his style of governance but he is the greatest living nigerian.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by bsanya(f): 10:03am On May 16, 2009
Pls OBANSANJO's name should be remove b4 i loose my temper
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by hackney(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2009
As for me, of all the people being listed i respect GANI FAWEHINMI the most.
The man had no bias of any kind at all in his pursuit for justice and fairness.
He is easily the most upright of all the names being bandied around.

For the rest,from a distance they sound great but in details (at close range) a lot of very shady deals/things were going on all the time at the expense of the common man.

I will even put Fela before the other ones ; just that his profile is not quite 'mainstream' enough.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 10:19am On May 16, 2009
Omoyele Sowore get balls sha  . . . . . I take him more seriously than most Nigerian news organisations

I also think Mallam Nuhu Ribadu is great

I have respect for Aliko Dangote  . . . . . . at least he invested his loot in Nigeria and created jobs

Wole Soyinka is an international legend

Chinua Achebe is also a Legend

Ojukwu may not have managed his persona perfectly and may have mispoke lately out of frustration but he will always remain a legend of the East

Kanu Nwankwo is forever a Legend

Gani Fawenhinmi . . . . . . . . my list is getting to long
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by femadis(m): 10:57am On May 16, 2009
Adeboye buy jet, he no buy jet wetin be una wahala? when Bishop Oyedepo bought his owu una talk, so keep talkinggggggg, remenber Angel fit slap person ooo, 'orin yin niooo ema koloooo' smiley.
My list:

Kanu
Adeboye
Gani
shoyinka
Ojukwu Dora.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 2:04pm On May 16, 2009
femadis:

Adeboye buy jet, he no buy jet wetin be una wahala? when Bishop Oyedepo bought his owu una talk, so keep talkinggggggg, remenber Angel fit slap person ooo, 'orin yin niooo ema koloooo' smiley.
My list:

Kanu
Adeboye
Gani
shoyinka
Ojukwu Dora.

Yeah, the congression is suffering and smiling whilst the pastor is living large (private jet, mansions, series of exotic cars, rolexes, designer suits etc) with their tithe and promising salvation (and fortunes in heaven, whilst he takes their fortunes on earth).

I always wonder whether saving souls is only required in USA, UK, Canada, Germany and other wealthy countries because I never hear of any of this pentecostal church leaders going to save souls in places like Haiti, Ethiopia, Papua New Guinea, CAR, Rwanda, Albania, Macedonia etc. Don't souls also need to be saved in these places?

They only go to places where they can maximise tithe per head and obviously they need a private jet to get there. Fantastic business brains considering the ROI, Payback Period, IRR, ROCE etc
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by jimmysho(m): 2:51pm On May 16, 2009
sagamite, be careful because u dont talk to elders like that let alone a man of God

@
Obasanjo is great by all standard

put the civil war to rest

1st military to hand over

took over at a dark period of the nation

debt 4giveness

1st civilian 2 civillian handing over

most respected naija in africa

grounded in diplomatic issues
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by jimmysho(m): 2:54pm On May 16, 2009
They only go to places where they can maximise tithe per head and obviously they need a private jet to get there. Fantastic business brains considering the ROI, Payback Period, IRR, ROCE etc.

sagamite, u are a clown and entertainer
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by banom(m): 3:10pm On May 16, 2009
Truely, Nigerians are confused. shocked shocked shocked
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 3:20pm On May 16, 2009
@@@@

this thread is a joke

obj shocked

etc

anyway emm k
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by naijabenny: 3:55pm On May 16, 2009
The answer is ME,
, for working my butt off day-in-day-out trying to make a living & survive a corrupt society that MOST of these people on the list so graciously passed down to me!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Krayola(m): 3:59pm On May 16, 2009
Unless being a good businessman makes you great, I agree with sagamite that Adeboye belongs nowhere on that list. Although I would have put it in different words. smiley
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Remii(m): 4:42pm On May 16, 2009
Funny nobody mentined Mike Enahoro, this man moved motion for Nigeria Independence when the Northerners were not ready. He was among those who chased white men away with their write ups , Jakande, Mokwgo Okoye et all. The man is still fighting for good governance even at twilight of his life. I think he deserves a placement. Why is our memory so short.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Vaakaa(m): 4:56pm On May 16, 2009
AS FOR ME I DON'T THINK WE STILL HAVE GREATEST MEN IN NIGERIA

Joe
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by garfields(m): 5:01pm On May 16, 2009
Well for me I chose Dora Akunyili and Aliko Dangote.They are the two great Nigerians that have so much impact in Nigerian on a direct bases. my own argument is based on the very fact that they have affected you and I at the closest range possible.

Take Dora for example, she was able to fight the so called drug barons across the country and won her self an accolade that is not only sang in Nigeria but across the world. She created a record that made her strategies be sort for by western Nations,like the Americn govt, remeber her life was under intence danger but for her boldness and optimism,her dream is still seeing the light even while has left the field.

Then talk of Dangote, his huge contribution as an industrialist has sent across a wide range signal across the nation that he is great because he has achieved one thing that no Nigerian has been able to achieve individually since our national independence:creating the largest individual job network within a period of 10-15 year in his career as an industrialist.Asides the rumoured alligations on his initial sponteneous capital ,I still think that since concrete evidence when likened to Adenugas` are not certain then he still stand justified amidst the fact that he is channeling it to the interest of the common man within our society through creation of jobs and vis-a-vis goods and service and lastly puting foods on our table.Is not a enough a challenge to the Government of the day?

PLease thread mates ,open your eyes and read through and choose the right Greatness and not lips greatness like most Nigerian are good at. You must be active both  in words and in action, and these also must affect us Nigerians positively before you would qualify for my own personal greatness. Dangote and Akunyili are the two who fit such profile.If you agree with me just help me complete the list.

Please the pastor and men of God oh, imam oh,, should be excluded from this nomination because they are servant of God and should not be compared to anyone. To me they are all great Men of God so if YOu name one an Exclude one then you may be judging them and it is not good for you or them either.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by loyeruope: 5:57pm On May 16, 2009
I see a contradiction here, we all want a democratic Nigeria yet when someone voices his/her opinion, (sometimes) all hell is let loose and personal attacks ensues. Why? Without everyone's contribution, we would be poorer in perspective. So I'm just posting this to say please Nairalanders learn to hear people out, and even if what they are saying are diametrically opposed to your ideology, still, hear them out. It is the hallmark of a gentleman (or lady) to hear an opposing view without losing one's cool. I'm not saying we should all agree on a point (in fact, life is so rich and diverse that there's hardly any single "right" answer) but let's do with less personal attacks, it detracts from intellectualism.
@Poster,
I cannot provide a list because the list is at best vague as to what "greatest" means. I will be more comfortable with a list such as "Greatest Philanthropists", "Greatest Statesmen", "Greatest Sportsmen" etc, or at least give us a precise definition of "Greatest."
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ifihearam: 6:37pm On May 16, 2009
Dear dudes,
You can crucify yourselves for all i care but the truth ought to be said at any given time,the reason why Baba adeboye is leading is not only because of the miracles God uses him to perform rather because of the stupendous number of people that gets save on a daily basis hence giving rise to the number of people he has in the RCCG.
Others like Kanu Nwankwo has saved lives but not compared to one who saves you both physically and spiritually through the help of the Almighty God,please fellow nairalanders,do appreciate people especially those that the hand of God is evident and conspicous in their lives.

Needless for me to remind you that every first friday of the month over 10,000 person gives their lives to christ as a result of the preaching from Adeboye furthermore the highest number of converts Bishop David Oyedepo has ever gotten which was over 25,000 people at once was realised when Baba Adeboye preached there and made a alter call,can you now see where this man is getting his honour from,he is a blessed man,and if you want such grace in your life please acknowledge great people so you can be great.

Finally before you crucify me,i am not a member of RCCG but when you see a true man of God you respect and acknowledge.Signing out
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by tayo4me(f): 7:40pm On May 16, 2009
Remii:

Funny nobody mentined Mike Enahoro, this man moved motion for Nigeria Independence when the Northerners were not ready. He was among those who chased white men away with their write ups , Jakande, Mokwgo Okoye et all. The man is still fighting for good governance even at twilight of his life. I think he deserves a placement. Why is our memory so short.

It's not Mike Enahoro, it's ANTHONY ENAHORO, and he has already been mentioned. Check ur facts b4 u start using unnecessary words.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Remii(m): 8:36pm On May 16, 2009
tayo4me:

It's not Mike Enahoro, it's ANTHONY ENAHORO, and he has already been mentioned. Check ur facts b4 u start using unnecessary words.

Thanks for the correction, however, you could do that without the harsh rider. Thanks all the same.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 16, 2009
OMG, I never knew some Naijarians are still dumb as ever grin
Sagamite, i second u ooo!!! on daddy g.o as one of the greatest Business mind ever in naijaland, my friend attends one here in the uk. , and they have smart lawyers as well that advice the pastors to print on the offering envelope that the money they are giving out is towards charity, and alas a jet!!! grin

I wonder why they wont set up their businesses in some very poor countries like the ones Sagamite listed, after all, na christ for all nation,

he could be the greatest naijarian alive for setting up a business that is recession proof, wink
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 9:54pm On May 16, 2009
@Krayola

Thanks for your deep thinking. I agree with you that Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi deserves more recognition for his efforts in designing Nigeria's flag. If the man was a Briton or American, he would have been honoured with his face on a postal stamp or an important street named after him. It shows how we appreciate people in Nigeria. Many Nigerians and the Nigerian Government have not really understood the gravity of what Pa Akinkunmi has done for Nigeria. This man is a hero that deserves to be commemorated in many ways. His creation is what is seen as the symbol of Nigeria. It defines us as a nation. That was why I was angry when someone on this forum said the Nigerian flag is rubbish

It was only Pastor Chris Okotie that went to visit the old man about 3-4 years ago and gave him about 1 million Naira. Chris Okotie also had his house repainted and gave scholarships to his children. You can conduct your research to know if I'm saying the truth. Well, I'm happy that a group of Nigerian Undergraduates have taken up Pa Akinkumi's cause by publicising his condition and seeking recognition for him. Cheers.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 16, 2009
Pa Akinwunmi deserves at least an OFR , less important people have been given the honour wink
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nimshi: 9:48am On May 17, 2009
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=272576.msg3873811#msg3873811

Philip Emeagwali Computer scientist

Bamowolo wrote:
a fraud is nominated to be a living legend in Nigeria? what a suprise.

Phillip Emeagwali is indeed a fraud; perhaps the most 'successful' "intellectual" fraud from Nigeria.

The surprise is that the Vanguard reporter/writer has been duped, as has the editor and those involved in that project.

Big shame.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nimshi: 9:52am On May 17, 2009
Totoma:

Chinua Achebe Writer: He is great but tribalistic.

How is Chinua Achebe tribalistic?

Why would anyone say Chinua Achebe is tribalistic??

Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by tunyus(m): 10:06am On May 17, 2009
AGBANI DAREGO ALSO NEED TO BE IN THE LIST is also a living legend as far as i am concern instead of all this GREEDY politician mention in the list and ADEBOYE WHO CAN NOT TELL OBASANJO THE SIMPLE TRUTH
MY OWN LIVING LEGEND
WOLE SOHINKA
AGBANI DAREGO
PHILIP EMEGWALI
CHINUA ACHEBE
GANI FAWEHINMI
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 10:07am On May 17, 2009
How is Chinua Achebe tribalistic?

quoted by a yoruba!! hmm still watchin these become-oduduwa till they wake up and face the music

cool
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 10:10am On May 17, 2009
GANI FAWEHINMI

can someone enlighten me on t[quote][/quote]his man?

cuz what i see is typical blackman thing;talk talk talk no action

like oshimole he don become gov, u could see he already de under pressure cuz he knows he has committed himself when he was a trade union boss, so far he de talk talk talk

we are waitin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Terrible! This News From Peru Is Still Disturbing! Who Hasn't Heard About This? / The Main Reason Igbos Want South South Minorities In Biafra / Some Quotes On Corruption, Governance, Leadership, Poverty And Hunger.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.