Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,024 members, 7,838,569 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. (40542 Views)

Declare Osinbajo President Now – Nigerians Tell National Assembly / Probe Looters In APC, Nigerians Tell Buhari / DASUKI GATE: Speak Up, Nigerians Tell Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by aimuan(m): 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
onoja12:
You are an idiot one of the biggest idiots, it is on record that most countries with large population have low GDP and they are many yard sticks for measuring wealth, by an average Nigeria is one of the richest in Africa and definitely above average in the world.as for past glory you must be one small fool who was born yesterday, at a point in Nigeria history, The naira was better than the dollar, education at all levels were free, but with the country turning out tractors like you, this is were we are now, as for one of the most develop, I beat my chest, you haven't travelled anywhere you are just a noise maker, if you have traveled you would definitely appreciate Nigeria.as for becoming great we are already there. the greatest in Africa and the country on everybody's radar round the would. you can hate all you like but this country doesn't need people like you. if you don't like Nigeria please go to the nearest immigration office or embassy and denounce your citizenship. stupid fool

don't mind the idiot hu has never bn to even Benin Republic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by gbemi15: 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
sinkhole:
One of my friends who has never been outside Nigeria, like most of us, recently travelled out of Nigeria and the first word he uttered from there was "I dont think Nigeria will ever develop!", he said that because he saw orderliness and use of technology in a country that most Nigerians will perceive as corrupt and drug invested as a result of what teu have seeing and hear on news and movies!
and it is d likes of dt ur friend dt jump queue,drive one way,do illegal connection,drink water from a sachet pack and throw it inside d drains,build house on natural channels,vandalise public utilities,pour sand and oda construction materials on d public road,etc and expect Buhari to right all ds wrongs,but go to countries where it has bcom dr culture to be orderly and form civilised only to return to Nigeria and be barbaric. it is upto us if Nigeria will be great again

4 Likes

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Idiataqueen(f): 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
Nigeria Politicians Will Change And Be Great Maybe When Togo Rises To Usa Standard.

1 Like

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Sweetguy25: 5:15pm On Nov 10, 2015
Marvinspeed:
@Op you're wrong on a fact here, check Nigeria's GDP. According to the world bank we are ranked no 22 economy in the world and 1st in Africa. Nigeria has had a growth rate between 5%-7% within the last 5years. Get your facts right.

I'm not wrong anywhere. Nigeria only has a huge GDP, which is the standard used to measure economic activity. Our growth rate means nothing either, we have a higher growth rate than the UK and Japan but are we richer than them? Do we have better standards of living? Absolutely not.

GDP is not the sole standard in measuring a nations wealth.

1 Like

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by iconize(m): 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
amiskurie:
Op must be high on his foolish opinion,It's known with facts that Nigeria has the most tarred road network in Africa.

Next time,check facts.

Any evidence to buttress yo "fact"?

1 Like

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by ibietela2(m): 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
sinkhole:
One of my friends who has never been outside Nigeria, like most of us, recently travelled out of Nigeria and the first word he uttered from there was "I dont think Nigeria will ever develop!", he said that because he saw orderliness and use of technology in a country that most Nigerians will perceive as corrupt and drug invested as a result of what teu have seeing and hear on news and movies!

Brazil or Columbia?
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
@op.. I have reported your post to the right quarters who will deploy DSS, SSS, EFCC on your case for trying to make the masses see the TRUTH.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Emenandez4lyf(m): 5:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
Earthkumy:
Faith with no work is dead
Baba go slow is still wailing that money is no longer in naija.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 10, 2015
We are doomed but the raggards making noise here do not seem to comprehend that they make up less than 1% of Nigerians that earn more than N10k per month
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
Sweetguy25:
That Nigeria was once a great a country – It is common to hear Nigerian’s make statements like “our country will be great again”. This comment is quite delusional.
Nigeria, to the best of my knowledge has never been a great country. You may try to pass of some of our characteristics like population, ethnicity or the fact that we used to have groundnut pyramids in the past as greatness but reasonably, these things don’t make you great.
Examples of countries that were great are China and Argentina. They were both known to be highly prosperous countries in the past and unfortunately lost their prosperity as time went by.
Nigeria has never been known to be a prosperous country since its independence till date.

That Nigeria is a rich country: This is another unfounded untruth that is perpetuated by some ignorant Nigerians.
The “GDP per capita” is the standard used in measuring how rich a country is. Nigeria’s GDP per capita currently stands at 3000 dollars. This makes Nigeria a low income country and one of the poorest countries in the world.

That Nigeria is more developed than most countries in Africa: Some Nigerians who have never been beyond the boundaries of Lagos and Abuja would think there are fewer places in Africa that are better than these places (and Nigeria as a whole) in terms of infrastructure and economic development.
Recent ratings from the World Economic Forum’s global competitiveness report shows that even in West Africa, certain countries like Cote D’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Cape Verde and Senegal all have better infrastructure ratings than Nigeria.
Honestly speaking, Nigerians have a myopic view as to what true socio-economic growth and development entails. Seeing private jets and luxurious cars as development while majority of the populace cannot afford beyond the basic necessities of life isn’t development.

That Nigeria would develop and be great:
Although we can’t predict the future, we can judge from history and the current state of affairs to project what the future would look like.
The possibility of Nigeria becoming great with its current structures, constitution and institutions is very slim.
The current socio-political and economic regime that perpetuates greed, rent-seeking, injustice and laziness will not get this country where is plans to be.
Until we begin to call for a structural and systemic change, Nigeria may not witness any progress in the long-run.

you must be a Ghana boy undecided

I know you people hate Nigeria, don't worry we will surprise you.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Bukayot: 5:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
Nigeria is a great country
Great people
Great corrupt" pardon me if my adjective can modify corrupt leader "
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by IceDude(m): 5:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
That APC is better than PDP

1 Like

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Rossikk(m): 5:24pm On Nov 10, 2015
Observant:
Black people will always console themselves in their misery.
No different from the phrase "I am black and proud".
You can't help but wonder what the idio.t is proud of.

Is he proud of selling his kind into slavery in the 17th century and remaining slaves for over 200yrs?

Is he proud of making a mockery of the most stable, viable and resourcefully blessed continent in the universe, turning it to a cesspit of diease, cruelty, poverty, wickedness, and mental wastage?

Is he proud of willfully submitting to imperialism in the 21st Centuary?

The more you look at the Africana the more you question there sensibility and existence as a human race.
After all, lizards are not crocodiles because they look alike. Blacks might be humanoid but are they actually humans?
Ask your mother if she is really human. Bastard.

4 Likes

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 10, 2015
Sweetguy25:
That Nigeria was once a great a country – It is common to hear Nigerian’s make statements like “our country will be great again”. This comment is quite delusional.
Nigeria, to the best of my knowledge has never been a great country. You may try to pass of some of our characteristics like population, ethnicity or the fact that we used to have groundnut pyramids in the past as greatness but reasonably, these things don’t make you great.
Examples of countries that were great are China and Argentina. They were both known to be highly prosperous countries in the past and unfortunately lost their prosperity as time went by.
Nigeria has never been known to be a prosperous country since its independence till date.

Good point....but China is becoming a superpower. Your point about Argentina is spot on

That Nigeria is a rich country: This is another unfounded untruth that is perpetuated by some ignorant Nigerians.
The “GDP per capita” is the standard used in measuring how rich a country is. Nigeria’s GDP per capita currently stands at 3000 dollars. This makes Nigeria a low income country and one of the poorest countries in the world.
'

EXACTLY!.....that is what I have said here time and time again. WE are not rich.

That Nigeria is more developed than most countries in Africa: Some Nigerians who have never been beyond the boundaries of Lagos and Abuja would think there are fewer places in Africa that are better than these places (and Nigeria as a whole) in terms of infrastructure and economic development.
Recent ratings from the World Economic Forum’s global competitiveness report shows that even in West Africa, certain countries like Cote D’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Cape Verde and Senegal all have better infrastructure ratings than Nigeria.
Honestly speaking, Nigerians have a myopic view as to what true socio-economic growth and development entails. Seeing private jets and luxurious cars as development while majority of the populace cannot afford beyond the basic necessities of life isn’t development.

So some people beleive that canard? Heh heh.

That Nigeria would develop and be great:
Although we can’t predict the future, we can judge from history and the current state of affairs to project what the future would look like.
The possibility of Nigeria becoming great with its current structures, constitution and institutions is very slim.
The current socio-political and economic regime that perpetuates greed, rent-seeking, injustice and laziness will not get this country where is plans to be.
Until we begin to call for a structural and systemic change, Nigeria may not witness any progress in the long-run.

True....but the problem is that such discussions degenerate into a ''how do we share the money'' fight.

In my opinion, Nigeria......needs to spend more on education and industrial development.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Ne0w1zarD: 5:25pm On Nov 10, 2015
Nigeria's .ng domain is the most expensive domain in the world! cry
http://supremewap.com
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 10, 2015
hizson:
op abeg swerve jooorh...Nigeria is s rich country, when people make this statement they referring to the mineral deposits we have and I can bet you we are one of the most naturally endowed country only if we could efficiently use it.

And please I take God beg you, no use your bad mouth on our country, we believe, we have hope, we praying, we know it will soon happen Nigeria will be great one day...#longlive9ja #proudlynigerian

Last Bullet: This op sounds like one biafran.

Rich in natural resources does not mean wealth. Our resource are trapped underground. We sell only crude oil.

For now, Nigeria is a poor country.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Marvinspeed(m): 5:27pm On Nov 10, 2015
Sweetguy25:

I'm not wrong anywhere. Nigeria only has a huge GDP, which is the standard used to measure economic activity. Our growth rate means nothing either, we have a higher growth rate than the UK and Japan but are we richer than them? Do we have better standards of living? Absolutely not.

GDP's are used to measure a country's economic growth, so as long as we have a huge GDP our economic activity is growing. Nations like the UK have had steady growths over periods of years and right now most of the top 5 economies have nearly full capacity operations, Nigeria is utilising about 70% of our capacity according to the world bank, so as long as there is progress our economy has the potential to grow to sizes of Japan and UK.

There are other measurements of a nations wealth, but the GDP(both real and nominal) is the most important tool being used to world economies. It is used by The World Bank, International Monetary Fund, African Development Bank and a host of others.

Nigeria has enormous growth potential. Check the projections of countries economies in the next 20years, Nigeria if it can maintain the growth potential in place now it will be among the top15 economies in the world.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by iconize(m): 5:27pm On Nov 10, 2015
Another emotional person said Nigeria has the best road network in Africa.
Yo road network equals to nothing if yo roads are crappy.
In terms of quality of roads, Nigeria is ranked 120th out of 142 countries.

1 Like

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by kunlegboye(m): 5:28pm On Nov 10, 2015
but i have this to say about no.1...we do hear it that there was a time education was free at all level...food in our high institution was almost free and people got job as soon as they graduated from school...one elderly person who got NCE to me he was already collecting salary at final as interview was conducted at that level and immediately secure job afterward after some selection.... please op help compare it to NIGERIA of to day.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Rossikk(m): 5:28pm On Nov 10, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Use your brain. A faster growing GDP than Britain means we are 'catching up'. If current growth rates are maintained in both nations, then it is only a matter of time before the gap is closed. This is primary school mathematics.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by folem: 5:29pm On Nov 10, 2015
sonnie10:
I am not an economist but I like to present things mathematically. Nigeria 2015 fiscal year budget was 4.4 trillion. What this means is 440000000000000000 was used to manage 180000000 people.

Here is the simple maths;

Divide 440000000000000000 by 180000000 = 2444444444.

In summary, #2.4B was used to manage each person in 2015. Daris God ooo!

Economist in the house pardon me if my analysis is over simplified.

Trillion Naira = 12 zeros

Divide 4400000000000 by 180000000 = 24444.44

In summary, #24 K was used to manage each person in 2015.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Sweetguy25: 5:30pm On Nov 10, 2015
onoja12:
You are an idiot one of the biggest idiots, it is on record that most countries with large population have low GDP and they are many yard sticks for measuring wealth, by an average Nigeria is one of the richest in Africa and definitely above average in the world.as for past glory you must be one small fool who was born yesterday, at a point in Nigeria history, The naira was better than the dollar, education at all levels were free, but with the country turning out trators like you, this is were we are now, as for one of the most develop, I beat my chest, you haven't travelled anywhere you are just a noise maker, if you have traveled you would definitely appreciate Nigeria.as for becoming great we are already there. the greatest in Africa and the country on everybody's radar round the would. you can hate all you like but this country doesn't need people like you. if you don't like Nigeria please go to the nearest immigration office or embassy and denounce your citizenship. stupid fool

Oga. I'm only stating facts

1. Nigeria was never a great country. That we had free education or a currency that was equivalent to the dollar in the 60s and 70s does not make the country great.
2. Nigeria is one of the poorest countries in the world and its human development and prosperity are amongst the lowest in Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by sammhi(m): 5:30pm On Nov 10, 2015
aimuan:
don't mind the idiot hu has never bn to even Benin Republic.

you must be dumb head.so naira being greater than dollar makes your economy or country great. at independence in 1960..go check if you had roads in this country..Nigeria was bush.. we had to send our army to India, Britain and the US to train..
we had only one airport more like a an airfield.. had only one university U.I established by the white man .., how many homes have a tv set?...we can go and on...
the truth is at independence in 1960 and given our population then , we had a chance to be great..but we were never there... due to misfits in governance and our naroow minded and shallow mindset leading to socio political quagmire and chains
the truth is dollar is even under valued ..if dollar is rightly valued ,... most countries will cease to exist or will be in serious trouble ..so deliberately, the US govt keeps the dollar at a rate conducive for all.....
two weeks ago, the dollar went up world wide and the whole world almost collapse...
please try and know indices for assessing a great nation....there is nothing great about us except for population wise...

2 Likes

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by tonychristopher: 5:31pm On Nov 10, 2015
nice

sonnie10:
I am not an economist but I like to present things mathematically. Nigeria 2015 fiscal year budget was 4.4 trillion. What this means is 440000000000000000 was used to manage 180000000 people.

Here is the simple maths;

Divide 440000000000000000 by 180000000 = 2444444444.

In summary, #2.4B was used to manage each person in 2015. Daris God ooo!

Economist in the house pardon me if my analysis is over simplified.

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by kunlegboye(m): 5:32pm On Nov 10, 2015
but i have this to say about no.1...we do hear it that there was a time education was free at all level...food in our high institution was almost free and people got job as soon as they graduated from school...one elderly person who got NCE told that me he was already collecting salary at final as interview was conducted at that level and immediately secure job afterward after some selection.... please op help compare it to NIGERIA of to day.
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Rossikk(m): 5:33pm On Nov 10, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Oga. I'm only stating facts

1. Nigeria was never a great country. That we had free education or a currency that was equivalent to the dollar in the 60s and 70s does not make the country great.
2. Nigeria is one of the poorest countries in the world and its human development and prosperity are amongst the lowest in Africa.
Shut up and stop exaggerating you nasty thing. Care to provide some references and links to your wild claims, or don't you know how to research? Your nasty words do not constitute facts without back up. How many of you self hating dunces can spend a week in Mali, Sudan, Niger, Somalia, Eritrea, Uganda, Sierra Leone, or Burundi, without crying for your mama and Nigeria?
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 10, 2015
Some people even say Lagos is the most developed in Africa undecidedSome people even say Lagos is the most developed in Africa
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by sammhi(m): 5:35pm On Nov 10, 2015
onoja12:
You are an idiot one of the biggest idiots, it is on record that most countries with large population have low GDP and they are many yard sticks for measuring wealth, by an average Nigeria is one of the richest in Africa and definitely above average in the world.as for past glory you must be one small fool who was born yesterday, at a point in Nigeria history, The naira was better than the dollar, education at all levels were free, but with the country turning out trators like you, this is were we are now, as for one of the most develop, I beat my chest, you haven't travelled anywhere you are just a noise maker, if you have traveled you would definitely appreciate Nigeria.as for becoming great we are already there. the greatest in Africa and the country on everybody's radar round the would. you can hate all you like but this country doesn't need people like you. if you don't like Nigeria please go to the nearest immigration office or embassy and denounce your citizenship. stupid fool

you must be dumb head.so naira being greater than dollar makes your economy or country great. at independence in 1960..go check if you had roads in this country..Nigeria was bush.. we had to send our army to India, Britain and the US to train..
we had only one airport more like a an airfield.. had only one university U.I established by the white man .., how many homes have a tv set?...we can go and on...
the truth is at independence in 1960 and given our population then , we had a chance to be great..but we were never there... due to misfits in governance and our naroow minded and shallow mindset leading to socio political quagmire and chains
the truth is dollar is even under valued ..if dollar is rightly valued ,... most countries will cease to exist or will be in serious trouble ..so deliberately, the US govt keeps the dollar at a rate conducive for all.....
two weeks ago, the dollar went up world wide and the whole world almost collapse...
please try and know indices for assessing a great nation....there is nothing great about us except for population wise..
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by aimuan(m): 5:36pm On Nov 10, 2015
sammhi:

please try and know indices for assessing a great nation....there is nothing great about us except for population wise...
what if you channel your energy to something that will make Nigeria great in the future?enough of your vituperation .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by jstriker442(m): 5:36pm On Nov 10, 2015
WarRLaY:
gave up on diz country since 1914
when were you born ??

Gerarahere
Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2015
tonychristopher:
when you go to places like Dubai, Qatar or even Pretoria you will be ashamed of been proud of Nigeria...can one tell me what to be proud of? Just one thing
proud of your father and mother who take there time to born you and take care of you until you reach the age were you started DISPLAYING your stupidity online undecided

What make a country to develop if it is not his people!

You went to Dubai and started condemning Nigeria! Why can't you study them and bring what you have learn in Dubai to develop your country,

But you are here opening your pig mouth shouting on what to be proud of undecided

Hypocrites

1 Like

Re: Common Lies Nigerians Tell Themselves About Nigeria. by onoja12: 5:40pm On Nov 10, 2015
you are the dumb head, don't go into economics with me, or your brains would go on fire, please educate us what is the yard stick for measuring wealth because technically America is not wealthy, just simply managing to defraud the world by forcing the world to trade in the dollar?

sammhi:

please try and know indices for assessing a great nation....there is nothing great about us except for population wise..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buratai Reacts To The Blockade Of The Convoy Of Osinbajo For The Protest / Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen / Simon Ekpa Shares "Biafra Liberation Army" Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.