Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,008 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry (12717 Views)

Northerners In NEPC Gang Up Against Segun Awolowo / MEND Threatens To Commence Attacks From Friday / MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by otokx(m): 11:02am On May 20, 2009
MEND = JTF

i pity those villagers whose ancestral homes are being desecrated by the employees of politicians who continually loot our treasury to the benefit of the western world.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 11:17am On May 20, 2009
if u turn out to be president, ppl will surely say that about u even when you work selflessly

Imagine some rabies infected nairalanders saying fashola shud learn from South Korea's abandoned airports and stop building infrastructure here and there.
The truth is no citixen will ever be OK with any ruling government. It happens all over the world.

USA, our first example during debates never loved Bush. Same coming for Obama. Some of those who voted him in are already doubting his competence.
IBB- not good
Abacha- not good
Obasanjo- not good
Yaradua- not good
Fashola-not good

Dont u think we have a problem ourselves?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ThinkRait: 12:16pm On May 20, 2009
The issue now is: How do we compel the military authority to stop the killing of innocent people.
They said the attacks is meant to stop the activities of militants who terrorise the people. What they are doing now is to burn down the villages so that people will no longer be there to experience militant terrorism. "Burn down the house to get rid of the rat" undecided
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by RuuDie(m): 12:30pm On May 20, 2009
ThinkRait:

The issue now is: How do we compel the military authority to stop the killing of innocent people.
They said the attacks is meant to stop the activities of militants who terrorise the people. What they are doing now is to burn down the villages so that people will no longer be there to experience militant terrorism. "Burn down the house to get rid of the rat" undecided

Who said they were killing innocent people

The JTF attacked a millitant camp and if some innocent people lost their lives, sincere condolence to the grieving families. . . . but thats some of the sacrifices we have to make to get rid of some of these millitant guys!

And please spare me that b****s**** about ransacking innocent villages - all that is millitant propaganda.
The camp-5 was for real and now its been taken out by the JTF!
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by RuuDie(m): 12:32pm On May 20, 2009
ThinkRait:

"Burn down the house to get rid of the rat" undecided

they burnt down the house alryt!
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 20, 2009
RuuDie:

And please spare me that b****s**** about ransacking innocent villages - all that is millitant propaganda.
The camp-5 was for real and now its been taken out by the JTF!

abi oo,

some ppl just take whatever they hear from the militants as the truth and federal Govt is always wrong.
Both parties are making contrasting remarks so we shud not believe any

one thing i can believe in for sure is that the militant are good at kidnapping
why did they kill the fillipinos and spare the british guy?

It wud make sense if they kidnapped yaradua or goodluck or their governors
so what is it about innocent workers? i still dont get it.
Thinkrait, maybe if they had kidnapped you and used u as a sacrificial lamb, u wud av loved it.

@ruudie, I heard Camp 5 now belongs to JTF, is this true?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by dammytosh: 3:03pm On May 20, 2009
If you are the commander in chief of armed forces and a report comes to you that 12 soldiers were killed, a vessel hijacked and more than 14 people kidnap. Will u start a dialogue ?
Let this people spare us all their propaganda of killings here and there. It is high time the Federal Government takes the bull by the horn and eradicate the terrorists once and for all.

The militants should be treated as TERRORISTS and lets stop the militancy accorded to them, that name is meant for HEROES not ROGUES.

As for innocent people being killed   sad, i am afraid that is normal any where there is war against terrorism. But our military men should be taught to maintain the rules of engagement strictly. May All lost innocent soul rest in perfect peace. sad
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Knight1(m): 3:16pm On May 20, 2009
naija don wan turn to 24. unfortunately we no get jaku bawa. grin

but seriously, until the militants turn onto their salary payers, forget it.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ahf(m): 3:33pm On May 20, 2009
Knight1:

naija don wan turn to 24. unfortunately we no get jaku bawa. grin

but seriously, until the militants turn onto their salary payers, forget it.

@Knight1-
Militants pay some salaries in terms of - Expensive Residencies, Night Clubs, Flashy Cars Shop, Plenty Hotels

dammytosh:

If you are the commander in chief of armed forces and a report comes to you that 12 soldiers were killed, a vessel hijacked and more than 14 people kidnap. Will u start a dialogue ?
Let this people spare us all their propaganda of killings here and there. It is high time the Federal Government takes the bull by the horn and eradicate the terrorists once and for all.

The militants should be treated as TERRORISTS and lets stop the militancy accorded to them, that name is meant for HEROES not ROGUES.

As for innocent people being killed   sad, i am afraid that is normal any where there is war against terrorism. But our military men should be taught to maintain the rules of engagement strictly. May All lost innocent soul rest in perfect peace. sad

@dammytosh - fantastic post attacking the root cause of the issue on ground
- a lot of times we shy away from root cause analysis but rely instead on sentiments.

Someone should please explain how the killing of these soldiers was suppose to contribute to Niger Delta development?

As a people, we like tolerating wrong actions once they align with our desires.

It is however UNACCEPTABLE to subject innocent people to untold hardship just because of their place of residence.
That is rather unfair. All sides should please have respect for civilian life.

They can however continue to fight on. We are behind them (apparently on different sides) but at least both sides have supporters.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:00pm On May 20, 2009
all it will take is a couple of wealthy disgruntled (out-rigged) politicians to raise at least 1 billion war monies and MEND will simply raise mutha(shut-ya mouth) hell in nigeria. with 400k (poorly trained) policemen to 135 million nigerians. MEND can simply wait for one governor's convoy to blare and disturb peace along 3rd mainland and kaboom. there goes one PDP governor. or simply pay a cleaner to carry a dustbin filled with explosives into the governors forum (come let us share money over amala and gbegiri)
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ThinkRait: 9:40am On May 21, 2009
About seven months ago, a cousin to one of my friends was kidnapped.
The husband came out, shouted and accused certain people of masterminding the kidnap. He was later introduced to a sitting governor who promised to help. From what I heard, the Governor called some people (supposed militants) and they all started the search. At the end, the lady was rescued by the military from a location close to the east (mind you, not in the creeks).

My points are
1. Militancy and genuine agitation is different from Criminality
2. Criminals/militants have camps in our towns; they are not confined to the creeks.
3. The Nigerian army is trained to dislodge criminals with minimal civilian casualty
4. Our leaders know who this militants are. They simply don't want to tackle it cos of certain interests
5. Kidnapping has become big business in Nigeria. Its no longer a Niger Delta thing.

The way the military is going about the current campaign tells me they are on a vendetta mission. They are obviously avenging the death of their colleagues. They are not there becos the militants are stealing Nigeria's crude.

My charge to the army is: dislodge the militants in a professional manner; don't burn down the houses of innocent people.

It is a shame for a professionally trained army to be engaged in propaganda (war of words) with militants.
The Yoruba NYSC corps member who spoke to the press confirmed the destruction of several houses. He confirmed the use of Air strikes. He is not a militant neither is he a military man, so we can assumed his comments are unbiased.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ThinkRait: 9:45am On May 21, 2009
About seven months ago, a cousin to one of my friends was kidnapped.
The husband came out, shouted and accused certain people of masterminding the kidnap. He was later introduced to a sitting governor who promised to help. From what I heard, the Governor called some people (supposed militants) and they all started the search. At the end, the lady was rescued by the military from a location close to the east (mind you, not in the creeks).

My points are
1. Militancy and genuine agitation is different from Criminality
2. Criminals/militants have camps in our towns; they are not confined to the creeks.
3. The Nigerian army is trained to dislodge criminals with minimal civilian casualty
4. Our leaders know who this militants are. They simply don't want to tackle it cos of certain interests
5. Kidnapping has become big business in Nigeria. Its no longer a Niger Delta thing.

The way the military is going about the current campaign tells me they are on a vendetta mission. They are obviously avenging the death of their colleagues. They are not there becos the militants are stealing Nigeria's crude.

My charge to the army is: dislodge the militants in a professional manner; don't burn down the houses of innocent people.

It is a shame for a professionally trained army to be engaged in propaganda (war of words) with militants.
The Yoruba NYSC corps member who spoke to the press confirmed the destruction of several houses. He confirmed the use of Air strikes. He is not a militant neither is he a military man, so we can assumed his comments are unbiased.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ThinkRait: 10:18am On May 21, 2009
JRC spokesperson, Cynthia Whyte, said in the next few days, the militants would know how prepared and combat ready the Nigerian armed forces are because "we will carry out revenge attacks.

"Let us also warn that any bandit soldier of the Nigerian state who breaches the rules of engagement in this campaign will be summarily executed. Any attack on unarmed and innocent village-folks will be revenged. Any attack on community people will result in an equal attack on families of soldiers in any barracks we choose to attack. It will be an eye for an eye henceforth."

He alleged that the attacks on Gbaramatu Kingdom represent the height of an attempt by a cabal to fully sink their teeth in oil production operations in the Niger Delta. "This cabal, comprising largely of serving and retired army generals would no longer be given free passage through the creeks of the Niger Delta anymore."

From today's Guardian.

Propaganda. Propaganda.
Make una help us oh!
We no want any Somalia or Rwanda here oh!
Yar Adua our listening President, do something!
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by dammytosh: 10:32am On May 21, 2009
lagerwhenindoubt:

all it will take is a couple of wealthy disgruntled (out-rigged) politicians to raise at least 1 billion war monies and MEND will simply raise mutha(shut-ya mouth) hell in nigeria. with 400k (poorly trained) policemen to 135 million nigerians. MEND can simply wait for one governor's convoy to blare and disturb peace along 3rd mainland and kaboom. there goes one PDP governor. or simply pay a cleaner to carry a dustbin filled with explosives into the governors forum (come let us share money over amala and gbegiri)

It is obvious that you are under estimating the power of Nigerian Military and over rating the Terrorists. Let me tell you the weakness of the military, they cant act without an order ("Zombies" remember Fela) but once they give them the order, 1 Trillion war money can not make the Niger Delta Terrorist over power the Nigerian Military, it can NEVER happen.
To prove to you, any where the military meets the militant, they flee and the military takes charge of the place. Let me refresh your memory on what happened to Bakassi Boys during their reign, The Mopol were given 24hours to bring ALL OF THEM to Abuja, Which they did without delay.
Although we don't appreciate our military, UN and other African country do and that is why some countries send their troops here for training.
We have quite good men but the PROPHET has no value in his HOME TOWN.

As much as i support the WAR against TERRORISM in NIGER DELTA, THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT MUST STRICTLY BE ADHERED TO BY OUR MILITARY MEN
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by AjaraEwuro: 10:35am On May 21, 2009
All militants are armed robbers -let the suicide bomb themselves if they are making a point, they dont want to die, but they are kidnapping to make money and they say they are fighting for justice- justice my foot.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by muhsin(m): 11:20am On May 21, 2009
I'm ambivalent on that happening. The government harsh response is rather called for and warranted. Yet the Niger Deltans deserve pity. Therefore, I remain "neutral".
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by RuuDie(m): 12:17pm On May 21, 2009
webdezzi:

@ruudie, I heard Camp 5 now belongs to JTF, is this true?

Sure thing. . . . word around the creeks is that they could turn it into a barrack or some kind'a command post!

Every now and then, there's a sound of gun-fire or two. . . but nothing by way of strong resistance; JTF seemingly on top of the situation!
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 21, 2009
MEND - Movement For the emancipation Of Naira and Dollars - by any means neccessary

that says it all, imho
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by DRANOEL(m): 12:47pm On May 21, 2009
ThinkRait:

JRC spokesperson, Cynthia Whyte, said in the next few days, the militants would know how prepared and combat ready the Nigerian armed forces are because "we will carry out revenge attacks.

"Let us also warn that any bandit soldier of the Nigerian state who breaches the rules of engagement in this campaign will be summarily executed. Any attack on unarmed and innocent village-folks will be revenged. Any attack on community people will result in an equal attack on families of soldiers in any barracks we choose to attack. It will be an eye for an eye henceforth."

He alleged that the attacks on Gbaramatu Kingdom represent the height of an attempt by a cabal to fully sink their teeth in oil production operations in the Niger Delta. "This cabal, comprising largely of serving and retired army generals would no longer be given free passage through the creeks of the Niger Delta anymore."

From today's Guardian.

some body should tell this cythia whyte lady that if the military is given the full go ahead MEND and the rest will only exist in our memories
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 21, 2009
just like Nigeria has been hijacked by criminals so too has the activities of mend been hijacked by criminals, we the ijaws aren't happy by the activities of late by mend, nope we aren't we don't think kidnapping our own people would solve the issue but what the Nigerian state is failing to realize is there is a problem in the niger delta and it has to be resolved, the government came up with a technical committee headed by leedum mitee only to go dump their recommendations and do a total Volta face attacking innocent civilians in gbaramatu kingdom does anyone think this military exercise is gonna flush out the militants, if you think so dream on its only the innocent civilian that would be caught in the cross fire, until the criminality and injustice meted out to the people of this region is dismantled expect an ever growing mend activity. The government should first address this issue then lets see what mend would still be fighting for, their methods might be crude and barbaric but since the people of the niger delta have no one to speak for them, expect them to always support mend if it would make Nigeria realize that something is definitely wrong in this region, sending the military men to go destroy villages doesn't makes sense as these guys don't even reside in those villages, this act would only give mend more sympatisers and recruits. i pity the Nigerian nation if people with real cause and anger joins mend. violence only begets more violence and to naijaking1 about adaka boro, the ijaws never betrayed anyone, we saw hell being in the former eastern region we were worse off than now go to the streets of any niger delta state and say we are the same with the ibo's and u might come back without your head.
s
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 21, 2009
just like Nigeria has been hijacked by criminals so too has the activities of mend been hijacked by criminals, we the ijaws aren't happy by the activities of late by mend, nope we aren't we don't think kidnapping our own people would solve the issue but what the Nigerian state is failing to realize is there is a problem in the niger delta and it has to be resolved, the government came up with a technical committee headed by leedum mitee only to go dump their recommendations and do a total Volta face attacking innocent civilians in gbaramatu kingdom does anyone think this military exercise is gonna flush out the militants,  if you think so dream on its only the innocent civilian that would be caught in the cross fire, until the criminality and injustice meted out to the people of this region is dismantled expect an ever growing mend activity. The government should first address this issue then lets see what mend would still be fighting for, their methods might be crude and barbaric but since the people of the niger delta have no one to speak for them, expect them to always support mend if it would make Nigeria realize that something is definitely wrong in this region, sending the military men to go destroy villages doesn't makes sense as these guys don't even reside in those villages, this act would only give mend more sympatisers and recruits. i pity the Nigerian nation if people with real cause and anger joins mend. violence only begets more violence and to naijaking1 about adaka boro, the ijaws never betrayed anyone, we saw hell being in the former eastern region we were worse off than now  go to the streets of any niger delta state and say we are the same with the ibo's and u might come back without your head.
s
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 21, 2009
just like Nigeria has been hijacked by criminals so too has the activities of mend been hijacked by criminals, we the ijaws aren't happy by the activities of late by mend, nope we aren't we don't think kidnapping our own people would solve the issue but what the Nigerian state is failing to realize is there is a problem in the niger delta and it has to be resolved, the government came up with a technical committee headed by leedum mitee only to go dump their recommendations and do a total Volta face attacking innocent civilians in gbaramatu kingdom does anyone think this military exercise is gonna flush out the militants,  if you think so dream on its only the innocent civilian that would be caught in the cross fire, until the criminality and injustice meted out to the people of this region is dismantled expect an ever growing mend activity. The government should first address this issue then lets see what mend would still be fighting for, their methods might be crude and barbaric but since the people of the niger delta have no one to speak for them, expect them to always support mend if it would make Nigeria realize that something is definitely wrong in this region, sending the military men to go destroy villages doesn't makes sense as these guys don't even reside in those villages, this act would only give mend more sympatisers and recruits. i pity the Nigerian nation if people with real cause and anger joins mend. violence only begets more violence and to naijaking1 about adaka boro, the ijaws never betrayed anyone, we saw hell being in the former eastern region we were worse off than now  go to the streets of any niger delta state and say we are the same with the ibo's and u might come back without your head.
s
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Abagworo(m): 3:39pm On May 21, 2009
Visit any riverine community and notice the contrast.they have few extremely rich and mostly severely impoverished people.the major problem is orientation and politics,not marginalisation.the younger generation were wrongfully made to believe that only oil can make one successful or that because oil is in their land,they dont need education or any form of stress.they beat up their teachers,harass non-indigenous investors,demand heavy ransome from contractors engaged in development projects leading some to abandonement.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Abagworo(m): 3:41pm On May 21, 2009
Visit any riverine community and notice the contrast.they have few extremely rich and mostly severely impoverished people.the major problem is orientation and politics,not marginalisation.the younger generation were wrongfully made to believe that only oil can make one successful or that because oil is in their land,they dont need education or any form of stress.they beat up their teachers,harass non-indigenous investors,demand heavy ransome from contractors engaged in development projects leading some to abandonement.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Ibime(m): 3:46pm On May 21, 2009
Abagworo:

Like your riverine community?. . . .or you mean just Ijaw riverine?. . . . .sorry, but my experience is different. . . . .
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 21, 2009

@abagworo

if the riverine communities are no good i dont think your igbo brothers would be flooding port harcourt in their millions to milk us dry
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 21, 2009
This problem about MEND is going too far, what is the nigerian stupid Government doing na only to steal money dem no,
we need peace in the NIGER DELTA region, i am from delta state, i support resource control .e.t.c but i dont support terrorism,
is too bad that we nigerians overseas cant even bring our families back home(Niger Delta region) especially when you have a White spouse and kids, is too bad that our kids cant even visit their homes town/origin, what is going on in NIGERIA??
how long will this go on, is the nigeria army too weak to do something?dont dey have modernised arms?
let all civilian evacaute from the danger zone and let the army and get those idiots out,
violents is not the answer for MEND
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by asha80(m): 5:11pm On May 21, 2009
babasoty:

@abagworo

if the riverine communities are no good i dont think your igbo brothers would be flooding port harcourt in their millions to milk us dry

Who is milking you dry?what where you doing that they come from there land to milk you dry?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 21, 2009
This problem about MEND is going too far, what is the nigerian stupid Government doing na only to steal money dem no,
we need peace in the NIGER DELTA region, i am from delta state, i support resource control .e.t.c but i dont support terrorism,
is too bad that we nigerians overseas cant even bring our families back home(Niger Delta region) especially when you have a White spouse and kids, is too bad that our kids cant even visit their homes town/origin, what is going on in NIGERIA??
how long will this go on, is the nigeria army too weak to do something?dont dey have modernised arms?
let all civilian evacaute from the danger zone and let the army and get those idiots out,
violents is  not the  answer  for  MEND
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Abagworo(m): 5:34pm On May 21, 2009
@babasoty.port harcourt is not riverine.na pure ikwerreland.in order not to engage in unneccessary argument visit this link and you will be ashamed.http://allafrica.com/stories/200812190067.html

Dis one na from the horses mouth.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by dasa: 5:43pm On May 21, 2009
firstly, something caused this. Injustice and the none developement of nigerdelta. The people grouped and are resisting. Criminals will jump in, dats war for u.

Two important facts all shud get clearly.

1. No militant group can match nigerian military.

2. Nigeria/FG cannot win the war. They may win battles. But not the war, and this is why.

Nigeria lives on oil. And all the oil installations are in niger delta. Its not possible to put one soldier for every meter of pipeline. Only one grinade in a major vessel and nigeria will not export for weeks. The economy will stop.
i dont surpport violence, but u can only negotiate effectively if you have the ability to fight. Else, all ur concerns will be thrown out.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by dasa: 5:48pm On May 21, 2009
firstly, something caused this. Injustice and the none developement of nigerdelta. The people grouped and are resisting. Criminals will get it, dats war for u.

Two important facts all shud get clearly.
1. No militant group can match nigerian military.
2. Nigeria/FG cannot win the war. They may win battles. But not the war, and this is why.
Nigeria lives on oil. And all the oil installations are in niger delta. Its not possible to put one soldier for every meter of pipeline. Only one grinade in a major vessel and nigeria will not export for weeks. The economy will stop.
i dont surpport violence, but u can only negotiate effectively if you have the ability to fight. Else, all ur concerns will be thrown out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

East-west Road: Progress Report With Pictures / Aregbesola Commissions E-Library In Osun State College Of Education / Mohammed Adamu Flouts Court Order, Releases List Of New Recruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.