Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. (4137 Views)

See The Typical Dashboard Of Danfos In Lagos (PHOTOS) / WARNING!!! Don't Put Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car (Video) / How Do I Protect My Dashboard And Leather Seats From The Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by chukel(m): 3:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
We are yet to enter dry season and my 06 avalon dashboard is already cracking. I know it's a common problem with avalon,GX470,Rx330, 4runner and solara. I do not want to fold it with leather like I did with my 07 camry. After a sunny day and I put on the ac, I hear cracks but see none. By the following morning the cracks become evident. I have not cleaned any of my dashboard with any detergent. Please does anyone know what I can do to prevent the cracks from growing. I really want to arrest them where they are. Thanks.

Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by chukel(m): 3:27pm On Nov 15, 2015
More.

Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by mayor2013: 4:00pm On Nov 15, 2015
Redressing that dash board is the only way out. There might be other opinions which I maybe farfetched from. A very skilled pperson who is competent knows how best to go about it. Same thing I experience on RX330. Just bought a sunlight protector for now. A client of might recently fixed his same Rx330 and the job was beautifully done.
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by tempex88(m): 4:03pm On Nov 15, 2015
Allows allow room for ventilation. Don't wind up ur glass completely

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by chukel(m): 4:07pm On Nov 15, 2015
mayor2013:
Redressing that dash board is the only way out. There might be other opinions which I maybe farfetched from. A very skilled pperson who is competent knows how best to go about it. Same thing I experience on RX330. Just bought a sunlight protector for now. A client of might recently fixed his same Rx330 and the job was beautifully done.
what does the sunlight protector look like?
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by mayor2013: 4:18pm On Nov 15, 2015
chukel:
what does the sunlight protector look like?

Its just spread across the windscreen to protect heavy sunlight ray. Can't be used while driving so as not to block your vision
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by kingreign(m): 9:46pm On Nov 15, 2015
Those cracks are caused by excessive heat on the dashboard which is forced to suddenly cool down when you turn on your AC system.

To prevent the expansion of the cracks for newly discovered fine cracks, get a good superglue, locate the leading edges of the cracks at either ends, push some glue fluid under them and hold till they're cured.
For prevention of cracks, dont wind up fully, get an aluminium type windscreen foil cover and place on the windscreen and park in shaded areas.
Wind down your windows, wait for 3-5min, then turn on your AC from the lowest fan speed and increase it to your desired temp within 7-10min before winding up fully.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by Piyke: 10:17pm On Nov 15, 2015
Seems the dashboard is out of plasticisers, there are some car interior detailing products which contain plasticisers. Plasticisers help keep vinyl supple and thus prevent cracks. I started using one this year, though I don't have any cracks on my 03 Accord, so I can't for sure say if my particular product works, but from theory it should. The product I use is made by shield. Will get a pic tomorrow.

Thanks Kingreign for the insightful post.
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by chukel(m): 4:47am On Nov 16, 2015
kingreign:
Those cracks are caused by excessive heat on the dashboard which is forced to suddenly cool down when you turn on your AC system.

To prevent the expansion of the cracks for newly discovered fine cracks, get a good superglue, locate the leading edges of the cracks at either ends, push some glue fluid under them and hold till they're cured.
For prevention of cracks, dont wind up fully, get an aluminium type windscreen foil cover and place on the windscreen and park in shaded areas.
Wind down your windows, wait for 3-5min, then turn on your AC from the lowest fan speed and increase it to your desired temp within 7-10min before winding up fully.
king thanks a lot. Will meet meet you on Whatsapp. Does this superglue stuff really work? Any particular superglue? Cos I feel it will make the whole thing messy. I have tried keeping my glass down by 5mins. By the time I put on the ac, the next thing I heard was kraa, kraaa. I just knew I would see new cracks by morning and so it was. I will post what I saw online.( a YouTube video).
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by kingreign(m): 3:23pm On Nov 16, 2015
chukel:
king thanks a lot. Will meet meet you on Whatsapp. Does this superglue stuff really work? Any particular superglue? Cos I feel it will make the whole thing messy. I have tried keeping my glass down by 5mins. By the time I put on the ac, the next thing I heard was kraa, kraaa. I just knew I would see new cracks by morning and so it was. I will post what I saw online.( a YouTube video).

you can put the superglue under the vinyl via a small syringe at the apex of the tear/crack.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by Piyke: 10:43pm On Nov 16, 2015
Dashboard care product with plasticiser

1 Like

Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by kingreign(m): 10:50pm On Nov 16, 2015
Piyke:

How much?
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by chukel(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2015
Piyke:
piyke, where can one get this?
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by Piyke: 9:57am On Nov 17, 2015
kingreign:

How much?

chukel:
piyke, where can one get this?

I got it at an everyday supermarket in Owerri. I trust they have branches at Abj. It sold for NGN480. If you don't find it anywhere I think I saw it once on Konga but was priced at NGN900 or so.
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by diehard(m): 11:04am On Nov 19, 2015
Use a dash cover tailor made for your vehicle to cover the crack and reduce heat exposure:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?searchType=global&N=0&Ntt=2006+Toyota+Avalon+Dash+Cover
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by southcent: 11:49am On Dec 02, 2015
heat! heat!! heat!!!
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by Originalsly: 7:49pm On Dec 02, 2015
If you park your car in the sun...get a sunscreen to block sunlight entering the car thru the windshield. Also do not wind up the windows all the way...just leave a little crack at the top where you may barely squeeze a pencil. If not, the inside of the car becomes very hot....hotter than outside and that causes the dash to become brittle and crack /fade. I usually treat mine with ehmmm.... cheap body lotion mixed with petroleum jelly/vaseline! Works for me...keep the dash black and new looking!
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by dyrocks204: 9:57pm On Dec 12, 2016
Please, I use this same kind of car. Toyota Avalon 2005/06 model . My dashboard showed MAINT REQR'D for some weeks now. It has refused to go after I serviced the car & changed the oil.
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by Originalsly: 3:01am On Dec 13, 2016
As above... use a sun screen.... one to fit your model car.... and never wind the windows all the way up especially when the car will be in direct sunlight. Leave just a small space ... just enough that the tip of your small can squeeze through. To treat the dashboard... I usually use petroleum jelly/cheap body lotion/hair cream/ any oil based product... keeps the ehmmmm.... leather looking brand new and moist!
Re: I Need Help To Prevent Further Cracks On My Dashboard. by kingreign(m): 6:44am On Dec 13, 2016
dyrocks204:
Please, I use this same kind of car. Toyota Avalon 2005/06 model . My dashboard showed MAINT REQR'D for some weeks now. It has refused to go after I serviced the car & changed the oil.

You need to read your owners manual.

(1) (Reply)

Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. / The Difference B/W Corolla LE And Corolla Sports ? / How Do I Use My Aux To Play Music Honda 2003

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.