Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,377 members, 7,954,530 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:26 PM

Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. (20671 Views)

Differences Between Boko Haram And Islam / The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know / Tissue Paper And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 2:29am On Dec 07, 2009
Salat subuhi and salat fajr are the same thing.

Subuhi is probably the more correct name but the breaking of the dawn i think is fajr hence the names are used interchangably.

The issue of women praying behind mind i think i addressed here already. It is not a cultutral thing rather it is islamic.

Women in front of men as a man will the prayer and morally you dont want men to keep staring at the back sides of women during prayer. It is not side by side as we stand very close to each other during salah. We stand shoulder to shoulder and toe to toe. You dont want a dude rubbing another mans wife shoulder i bet.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by olabowale(m): 2:57am On Dec 07, 2009
@FayeZik: « #95 on: Today at 01:17:43 AM »  
@ my muslim bothers and sisters
What is the difference between Salat Subuhi and Salat Fajr, if there is any.
Salatul Subh is the name. Fajr is the time that you make this salah. Fajr (Time of Dawn) begins when the time of Fasting begins and extends up to just before the sun rises, when the salatul Subh will be late to make. But of course, if for any reason you did not make this salah in its time, then you let the sun rise and until it loses its redness, usually it takes 20 minutes in north america for this. You can assume that it will not be more than 30 minutes in your location, anywhere in the world, easily visually verifiable, then you make the salah without the Sunnah, going straight to the Fard, the 2 Rakah.  

Also, a friend of mine, who is a converter asked why do muslim women pray behind their men?  Why not side by side or may be, women in the front , men at the back.  Does this have anything to do with culture or it's just islamic.
There is no ethnical culture in pure Islam, but Islamic culture developed uniquely from Quran, and Sunnah. None of it has nothing to do with arab or no arab. Now, Allah commands the Hijaba (vein or partition between man and woman, and hence prayer of women in the back, because in Madina where salah was commanded to be observed, a romantic interest developed between a particular man and a woman, whereby the man will wait at the back to see the woman come to pray. The woman, when she comes in will move forward in the front of the woman to make het prayer. We all know who sensuous woman is, the shape and all. Prophet Musa (AS) made it an obligation not to walk behind the women of Madian, from which he finally married, knowing fully well the possible temptations.

This woman when she comes to pray, knowing man is in the back looking, she will bow and hold it long, turn back to be sure that the man is looking. She will make a prostration in a sensuous way, even though these are important positions of the salah, now turned to sexual intentions between interested opposite genders, taking away from their attention to salah for Allah the Almighty. I do not have to tell anyone that usual sexual relationship occurs when a woman is in front of a man, therefore, Allah commanded against woman in from of man, in order to protect both.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by zayhal(f): 5:49pm On Dec 07, 2009
Asalam alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh.

Jazakumullah khayran to the brothers and sisters who have kept this section alive all these while.

My question is this: There's no dispute on the manner of the muslimah's dressing as regards where to cover i.e the whole body except the face and hands (and these too can be covered optionally). But how about the types of outer clothing worn? Is it compulsory that it be plain and of dull colours? I've once asked a munaqqabah during a lecture I attended and she said, yes, it has to be black, I asked why and she said so as to repel men. Well, i didn't agree with her because i asked for her evidence and she couldn't give me one.

So brothers, sisters, if a sister dresses up properly, covering all parts in good clothing, I mean, not transparent, light, tight etc but having some designs on it, for example, ankra or lace or some ready made gowns, is there any sin on her? Do the clothes have to be dark and plain?

I'd appreciate answers with sahih evidences.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by mukina2: 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2009
i think it has to do with personal choice undecided i have seen lots of girls/women wear different colours with and without veils on.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by FayeZik(f): 6:10pm On Dec 07, 2009
I think the dark/dull colour is of Arab culture. As long as you cover everywhere except ur face, hands and feet. the color choice is yours, and just make sure it's not seethru/transparent or tight in a way that your figure will be revealed.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by zayhal(f): 6:16pm On Dec 07, 2009
@mukina

I do not agree that it has to do with personal choice. In Islam, we don't apply personal choices where a matter of the deen is clearly stated. For example, chapter 33:59 and 24:31of the Quran states clearly that a muslim woman MUST wear the hijab when going out. I'm not in doubt about that.

What I really want to know is if it's permissible to wear clothings of bright colours and with designs on them e.g, lace and ankra materials or guinea brocade as outer garments.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by mukina2: 6:20pm On Dec 07, 2009
Zayhal i was talking of the colours and not the Hijab wearing.

People wear clothes based on their personal choices so long as they veil.

Like FayeZik said the all black is of arab culture.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 6:57pm On Dec 07, 2009
The mode of dressing was specified in the quran and ahadeeth however as far as i know the type of dressing is not specified anywhere in the texts. All we have is interpolations and explanations by different scholars some have gone to the extreme on both sides while some have remained balance.

The general principle regarding the mode of dressing of a woman is such as not to make her the centre of attraction when she walks , like wearing high heeled shoe that will make a hell of noise while she walks, in the process attracting everyone.

As to designs as far as i know designs on clothes are permitted within reason and also embroidery. Regarding bright colours some scholars have frowned on very bright clours like glowing pink that makes her distinct. There is no real evidence to suggest she has to wear black or blue or dull colours. A woman has to look good as well and muslim sisters need to know this, modesty doesnt mean she has to dress shabishly and put on blue blue all the time or green green.

We should note that eevry culture has its clothes type and design and the arabs had theirs. We dont have to follow the arabs in their clothing type or material. We are permitted to wear our cultural clothing within the principle of islam - Not tight, free flowing, non transparent, hijab and so on. Materials like lace and ankara as far as i know are permitted as they are  general cultural clothing types and normal. The ankara musnt be see through though.

Wallahu a'lam
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by FayeZik(f): 7:00pm On Dec 07, 2009
I hear you brother.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by zayhal(f): 7:12pm On Dec 07, 2009
Tanx, Lagosboy, your contribution is appreciated.

I had to ask the question because some groups who wear the black-black, blue-blue like u mentioned see those who don't dress as such as being of lesser eeman and I continue to wonde if this should be so. i wish i could get a statement from one of the well known scholars on this issue.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by mukina2: 7:15pm On Dec 07, 2009
zayhal:

i wish i could get a statement from one of the well known scholars on this issue.
na wa . . cheesy
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 7:26pm On Dec 07, 2009
zayhal:

Tanx, Lagosboy, your contribution is appreciated.

I had to ask the question because some groups who wear the black-black, blue-blue like u mentioned see those who don't dress as such as being of lesser eeman and I continue to wonde if this should be so. i wish i could get a statement from one of the well known scholars on this issue.

This is an unfortunate cancer that has befallen the ummah of muhammad. Yes dresing is important and the principles has to be followed but to rate the eeman of a person on the mode of dressing having fulfilled the basic requirements is unfortunate.

Muslims now pay attention to outer appearance and forget the inner soul. Some brothers now look down upon a bro with trousers below the ankle like he his destined for the fire and a bro without beard as of a lesser eeman. Sisters as well look at a hijab covered till the waist as weak and the hijab coverd to the ankle as a junior sahabiat. Knowledge is power and light , the more you know the more one realises how much he doesnt know.

mukina2:

na wa . . cheesy

My sister how na , wetin wa for this one now. grin grin I fir describe where them dey sell hijab for you o grin
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by zayhal(f): 7:40pm On Dec 07, 2009
mukina2:

na wa . . cheesy

wats up, mukina? why are u wa-ing my post.

You know in Islam, we dont just make statements and assertions, especially on religious matters. It has to be based on the Quran, sayings of the Prophet (saw) or scholarly opinions, in that order.
So I have my reasons for asking.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by FayeZik(f): 5:28pm On Dec 15, 2009
Samunllahi alaekum ya jammaat-ul muslimin and muslimat

Question for you. Is it true that once a woman is married, her husband rights and says supercedes that of her parents? In other words. she will obey her husband over her parents.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by zayhal(f): 6:48pm On Dec 16, 2009
Before marriage, a girl-child is guided, monitored and provided for by her parents. Once she gets married, all of these responsibilities and more shifts to the husband whom she marries. this is why it is compulsory for fathers(or wali',  guardians) to strive in ensuring that the man they marry their daughter to is a righteous man.

The woman now has to respect and obey her husband except only in areas where the husband's wishes go against the teachings of Islam.

However, the rights of parents on their children is never overruled by marriage. A female child (just like the male) still owe the parents the responsibilities of loving, caring and providing for her parents' needs. when Allah says in the Quran that we should honor our parents and never say a word of anger to them, the command is general and not  restricted to the male-child alone.

No right-thinking husband would want his wife to disobey her parents. he'll take his parents-in-law as his own parents and the question need not even arise as to who the woman should obey 1st.

The husband has his own rights over his wife  and vice-versa. Likewise, the parents have their rights over their children.

It is the husband and wife who live together. the woman seeks her husband's permission to do things other than the obligatory ibadaah. in this wise, she seeks his permission if she intends visiting her parents or running errands for them. Except this visit or errand will cause a major problem in their home, no good husband will refuse to grant his wife permission to do this.

So really, in marriage, it  is the responsibility of parents on their daughter that shifts to the husband, their rights on their daughter still remains intact.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by FayeZik(f): 12:41am On Dec 17, 2009
Thanks Zayhal. For the sake of discussion and claridficatiion, if the husband refuses the wife to visit her parents or to run errands for them, what shuld she du?
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by zayhal(f): 5:17pm On Dec 17, 2009
Ah well, the husband must have a very good reason for that. A good muslim husband wouldn't refuse his wife to visit or run errands for her parents. but if he does, he has to explain the reason behind the refusal to his wife.

if the wife notices a kind of injustice on the part of her husband regarding her parents, and calls his attention to it, if he, the husband does not have a tangible reason for his action, (say for example, he fears that the parents are evil doers and may lead his wife astray or cause discord between them (the couple,) then she should call those whom she knows her husband honors and listens to and report the case to them.

She should find all possible peaceful means to make her husband honor and respect her parents just as he would , his except those parents are evil-doers.

And husbands too should know that they would not only make their wives sad but would also be aiding what may lead to break in ties of kinship if they cause a strain in their wives relationship with their parents.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by FayeZik(f): 5:47am On Dec 19, 2009
Thanks sis Zayhal. Talk 2 u again.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 8:23am On Dec 19, 2009
Very good answer and response from Sis Zayhal may Allah reward you and increase you in wisdom and understanding.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by deols(f): 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2009
Salam alykum,
My question concerns the use of nail polish. I have not heard of any hadith or verse of the Qur'an against it but from logical reasoning, many muslims believe it is wrong to use it as it would prevent water from touching the nails during ablution.

What if an ablution is performed before applying it and What is the rule of its use when a woman is off salaat. Pls i want delil on this.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 9:38pm On Dec 21, 2009
deols:

Salam alykum,
My question concerns the use of nail polish. I have not heard of any hadith or verse of the Qur'an against it but from logical reasoning, many muslims believe it is wrong to use it as it would prevent water from touching the nails during ablution.

What if an ablution is performed before applying it and What is the rule of its use when a woman is off salaat. Pls i want delil on this.

Jazakallah for your question.

You have partially answered the question, the only issue with this is water touching the skin is obligatory for the wudhu to be valid. However according to scholars applying the nail polish after wudhu and praying with it is permissible but one has to note you will need to remove it if your wudhu breaks and you need to renew it.

If you are off salah then there is no harm in using it as you will not need to take wudhu anyway,

Regarding delil for the use of nail polish , the burden of proof is on the one who says it is not allowed and not the one permiting it. The reason being that in islam apart from issues/rituals relating to direct ibadah everything is deemed permissible until proven to be forbidden.

And God knows best
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by ayinba1(f): 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2009
Assalam alaykum warhmatullah wabarakatuhu,

I am starting a campaign for my muslim sisters (and brothers) to have more chiildren. Recently, at our gathering in the mosque, all the sisters were involved in a debate about limiting the number of children to have,citing difficulty of raising kids in the US. Please find below a rough summary of the reasons they gave:

1. Muslims (in Nigeria) have too many kids and end up sending them to live with other people because they cannot cope with the upbringing, so you meet a lot of househelps that are Silifat, Muinat etc   
      -****I disagreed with this asking if they are familiar with non muslims and how many househelps actually have non muslim names. I also recall the TV series' OMOODO, that guy did not have a muslim name.

2. In the US, there is a lot of stress related to upbringing and the fear is that you are working a lot of hours to provide for the children therefore, not enough time to care for them; OR you have time for them but no money to pay bills.
   - *****I  countered that we set our priorities wrong because we run after things we could do without eg - extra gold jewellery, new lace for parties and then we claim that we do not have money. If we consider these children as part of our job, we would find a balance that would create ample time for proper upbringing.

3. Honestly, I was the lone ranger in this discussion, I looked up some information on the web about valid reasons to limit number of children and the 2 above were not included. Are we really becoming more like the non muslims because we forget or do not know what Islam says about childbearing or is this one issue where we think that we know better than ALlah's and Prophet Mohammed's (SAW) injunction?

Thanks for your contribution.
Please if you attend MSS, listen very well because that may be where you get the best info that will guide you for a while out in the real world. Salam
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 10:23pm On Dec 21, 2009
Quite an an interesting issue you are have highlighted here. Maybe we should start by what is considered "more children" and what is considered "less children".

I think this issue is one for women to discuss grin grin
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by ayinba1(f): 10:26pm On Dec 21, 2009
My sisters here are talking maximum 3.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 11:03pm On Dec 21, 2009
and you are proposing a maximum of . . . . . or simply no limits
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by ayinba1(f): 11:27pm On Dec 21, 2009
Well the aim of my post was to get the Islamic perspective on this issue. What I propose is immaterial, Brother Lagosboy. What is important is (at least to me)/are

Is this the pulse of a greater majority of our muslim sisters? (and brothers? grin )

The issue at stake is what is Islamically sound not what ayinba1 thinks is acceptable.
Thank you
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by mukina2: 11:32pm On Dec 21, 2009
Ayinba\
what a request grin

i'll be back with a reply grin
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 11:45pm On Dec 21, 2009
ayinba1:

Well the aim of my post was to get the Islamic perspective on this issue. What I propose is immaterial, Brother Lagosboy. What is important is (at least to me)/are

Is this the pulse of a greater majority of our muslim sisters? (and brothers? grin )

The issue at stake is what is Islamically sound not what ayinba1 thinks is acceptable.
Thank you

Hmm true talk i was just trying to get the whole jist of the arguement  grin  grin

In islam , from my humble knowledge I know there is really no rule limiting the number of kids, also there is no express rule prohibiting someone that wants few kids. However there is a hadith of the prophet PBUH recommending we should have as much kids so as to grow the ummah.

Some sahabas practised a form of family planning as they went to the Prophet to seek a ruling regarding coitus interruptus (withdrawal before expulsion) and the Prophet PBUH said they could practise it but whatever is decreed by Allah will always stand.

In such issues where there is no fixed or binary view one has to be look at issues in the context of the real world to see what will be most beneficial to the ummah and then make a reccommendation. This issue is not a black or white rissue neither is it  haraam vs halaal issue , it is an issue experts in the fiqh of family affairs vis avis social strucutre of a society have to deliberate on. Walahi me personally cannot give you this kind of islamic view as i dont have the qualifications or the knowledge, maybe someone in the house could take the issue further.

My personal opinionhowever (subject to scholarly ratification) is the more the kids the better especially in the west where things are easier compared to africa where poverty is fast becoming a culture (Naudhubilah)
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by mukina2: 11:57pm On Dec 21, 2009
Ayinba

Like Lagos boy said i dont think there is any rule that limits the number of children anyone should have.
Speaking generally:-
Its not about going to parties or buying new clothes or jewelry, its the love and attention, the time you'll have for each kid,
Personally i dont think i'll want more than 3 kids, i mean the world is getting expensive grin and times are getting hard, you;l want the best for each kid, you'll not want to scratch your head each time one of your kids want something, no matter how rich anyone is, the love and attention cannot be bought, maids, and the likes can never replace what a kid needs from his or her mum.
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by Lagosboy: 12:15am On Dec 22, 2009
@Mukina2

Haba wot of if your husband wants 10 children u no go give am?? As i dey see you plenty lil mukinatu dey ur belle o. The more the merrier in da house. Lets pray for mukina2 to have 10 children all hale and hearty. Imagine you have 10 Bil gates as children i am sure u will be ralxing at Gambian beach everyday thanking Allah grin grin grin
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by mukina2: 12:34am On Dec 22, 2009
Lagosboy:

@Mukina2
[s]
Haba wot of if your husband wants 10 children u no go give am?? As i dey see you plenty lil mukinatu dey your belle o. The more the merrier in da house. Lets pray for mukina2 to have 10 children all hale and hearty. Imagine you have 10 Bil gates as children i am sure u will be ralxing at Gambian beach everyday thanking Allah grin grin grin[/s]
grin grin grin
Re: Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. by ayinba1(f): 1:41am On Dec 22, 2009
Mukina2,

Seriously, I have a brother. He's a cool muslim, believe me. Anyway, I haven't seen ur pics but we are interested o. If u have someone already, please send me privy message, I will stop bugging you. But I cannot leave my sister to keep going like this before those yamayama non muslims try to cash in.

Ok, we want plenty children sha o. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Saudi Deports 71 Of The Detained Female Hajj Pilgrims / Here's How Long Muslims Have To Fast For Ramadan Across The World / Insulting The Prophet: Freedom Of Expression Is Freedom FROM Insult, NOT To!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.