Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,479 members, 7,770,172 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:38 AM

The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know (44630 Views)

Differences Between Boko Haram And Islam / Sisters Discuss Issues And Questions Here Relating To Feminity And Islam. / Tissue Paper And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by AbuZola3(m): 11:18pm On Jan 02, 2010
Compiled by Abu zola:

Questioner (male): Salamu alikum, Is it true that wearing of ring is sunnah ?

Answer: Absolutely,  :
Narrated Humaid:

Anas was asked, "Did the Prophet wear a ring?" Anas said, "Once he delayed the: 'Isha' prayer till midnight. Then he came, facing us , as if l am now Looking at the glitter of his ring ,  and said, "The people have offered their prayers and slept but you have been in prayer as you have been waiting for it."
        Bukahri,  Volume 7, Book 72, Number 758

Q: I have an iron signet ring, can i wear that ?

A: Sorry brother, you cant wear it because iron signet ring belong to the inhabitant of Jahannam,

Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib:

A man came to the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and he was wearing a signet-ring of yellow copper. He said to him: How is it that I notice the odour of idols in you? So he threw it away, and came wearing an iron signet ring. He (the Prophet) said: What is it that I see you wearing the adornment of the inhabitants of Hell? So he threw it away. He asked: Apostle of Allah, what material I must use? He said: Make it of silver, but do not weigh it as much as a mithqal,
Abu Dawud, Book 34, Number 4211:

Q: so what is type of ring did the Prophet wear ?

A: He wore a silver ring,
Narrated Anas:

The ring of the Prophet was of silver, and its stone was of silver too
Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 759:

Q: But what of an iron ring polished or painted in silver, can i wear it ?

A: Right on the spot man, thats exactly the type of the Prophet ring,
Narrated AbuDhubab:

The signet-ring of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) was of iron polished with silver. Sometimes it remained in my possession. Al-Mu'ayqib was in charge of the signet-ring of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him).

Q: Does that mean i can't wear golden ring ?

A: Yeah,
Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet forbade the wearing of a gold ring
Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 754:

Q: I heard a cleric saying that is haram to wear ring that has 'Muhammad is the messenger of Allah' ?

A: He is right, in bukhari hadith it was reported in Volume 7, Book 72, Number 766:
Narrated Anas bin Malik :

Allah's Apostle took a silver ring and had 'Muhammad, the Apostle' of Allah' engraved on it. The Prophet then said (to us), 'I have a silver ring with 'Muhammad, the Apostle of Allah engraved on it, so none of you should have the same engraving on his ring."

Q: Am finding this interesting Abu zola, so which of the hand can i wear my ring, right or left ?

A: Both, either right or left, we have two hadiths in Abu dawud hadith that says right while the other said left, this means he wore it on his right and left, here is the hadith

Book 34, Number 4214:
Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used to wear the signet-ring on his right hand.

Book 34, Number 4215:
Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used to wear the signet-ring on his left hand, and put its stone next the palm of his hand.

Q: Is it also prohibited for women to wear golden ring ?

A: Women are adornment, women are allowed to wear gold ring, 
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) got some ornaments presented by Negus as a gift to him. They contained a gold ring with an Abyssinian stone. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) turning his attention from it took it by means of a stick or his finger, then called Umamah, daughter of Abul'As and daughter of his daughter Zaynab, and said: Wear it, my dear daughter. Abu Dawud, Book 34, Number 4223:

Q: Adorement, hmmmmmm, true if they don't polish themselves with nice plaiting hair and making the face tidy always they will be ugly unlike men who have natural beauty, but what of men who use golden bracelet ?

A: smile, let the women hear you, i pity those who use golden attires, hear what the Prophet said

Narrated AbuHurayrah:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If anyone wants to put a ring of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold ring on him: if anyone wants to put a necklace of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold necklace on him, and if anyone wants to put a bracelet of fire on one he loves let him put a gold bracelet on him. Keep to silver and amuse yourselves with it.

Abu Dawud, Book 34, Number 4224:

Q: I also heard a sheikh saying the Prophet once wore a goldren ring, whats the truth behind it.

A: Yes he  worn it but later threw it away and denounced it, check this out,

Narrated Abdullah:

The Prophet had a golden ring made for himself, and when he wore it. he used to turn its stone toward the palm of his! hand. So the people too had gold made for themselves. The Prophet then ascended the pulpit, and after glorifying and praising Allah, he said, "I had it made for me, but now I will never wear it again." He threw it away, and then the people threw away their rings too. (Juwairiya, a sub-narrator, said: I think Anas said that the Prophet was wearing the ring in his right hand.)
Bukhari , Volume 7, Book 72, Number 765:

Q: Thank you very much Abu zola for your time and energy, may Allah increase your knowledge, jazakhallahu khairan,

A: You are welcome, let me gist you what happened to the ring of the Prophet when he died,

Narrated Anas:

that when Abu Bakr became the Caliph, he wrote a letter to him (and stamped it with the Prophet's ring) and the engraving of the ring was in three lines: Muhammad in one line, 'Apostle' in another line, and 'Allah' in a third line. Anas added: 'the ring of the Prophet was in his hand, and after him, in Abu Bakr's hand, and then in 'Umar's hand after Abu Bakr. When Uthman was the Caliph, once he was sitting at the well of Aris. He removed the ring from his hand and while he was trifling with it, dropped into the well. We kept on going to the well with Uthman for three days looking for the ring, and finally the well was drained, but the ring was not found.

Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 767:
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by AbuZola3(m): 12:56pm On Jan 03, 2010
Labas
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by AbuZola3(m): 12:12pm On Jan 09, 2010
like my ring

Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by mashaun(m): 3:17pm On Jan 11, 2010
salam. How about necklace beacuse i see people wearing it to the mosque on Jumah.I also see some alfa wearing it,.
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by AbuZola3(m): 3:24pm On Jan 11, 2010
Male ? A male is forbidden to wear a necklace, be it silver or gold or bronze.
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by manyus(m): 2:25pm On Jan 12, 2010
Sallam alaykum,
Abu Zola ,i really enjoyed this topic. I believe people will be more informed now.Naturally i dont like wearing rings,chains and all sort of ornaments but i dress well. If not for time management i dont cherish wristwatch,in short i like being free but my wife accused me of not wearing ring as a sign that i dont want girls to know that i'm married.
May be i will encourage her to find time for this forum so that she can clarify whatever bethers her mind on the religion.
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by AbuZola3(m): 12:18am On Jan 13, 2010
You are welcome
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by AZK: 10:56pm On Jul 14, 2010
Asslam-O-Alaikum

Are Muslim men allowed to wear stainless steal ring?
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 17, 2010
some muslims mistake white gold to be silver,pls let the men keep to the silver ring
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 19, 2010
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 19, 2010
Asalamu Alekum Chinedu,i was a xtian before until i studied Islam and revert for best,am so happy for you ,may Allah continue to guide you in the faith
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jul 19, 2010
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2010
@chinedu,pls jist me titialayo25@yahoo.co.uk,i dnt understand the removing the grain from shaft,

actually,about the men necklace, i dnt see men, i mean real practicing muslims that wear it,except the ones that dont know if is wrong
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Chinedu, av got an Igbo friend named Chinyere she accepted Islam too,we were both catholics from birth even though i av knowledge of most sect in christianity,she now added Zainab to her name,its a privilrdge to be muslims,how did you cope with your family members when u acepted it
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 23, 2010
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jul 23, 2010
@chinedu,they are seeing things differently,cos thier thought would be like ,our son has been brainwashed and that youre lost,thier sons name is not gonna be written in the book of life,bla bla bla,and all that,not knowing that Allah(swt)practically pulled you from hell midst and selected you to be among the people of paradise,Alhamdullilah,it shall be permanent insha Allahu,Asalamu Alekum
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by zayhal(f): 8:42pm On Jul 24, 2010
@leochinedu

I'm so happy for you. Alhamdulilah. May Allah make us firm on the true path and die as muslims. smiley
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by experts: 4:12pm On Jul 26, 2010
In response to ur question about prohibition of necklace for men.

Praise be to Allaah.

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Amr ibn al’Aas reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever of my ummah wears gold and dies wearing it, Allaah will deny him the gold of Paradise. Whoever of my ummah wears silk and dies wearing it, Allaah will deny him the silk of Paradise." (Reported by Imaam Ahmad).

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbaas reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a gold ring on a man’s hand. He took it off and threw it aside, saying, "Would any of you take a burning coal and hold it in his hand?" When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had gone away, someone said to the man, "Take your ring and benefit from it (i.e., sell it)." He said, "No, by Allaah, I will not take it after the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has thrown it away." (reported by Muslim, no. 2090).

This prohibition applies to men only, not to women, as ‘Ali, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) took a piece of silk in his right hand and a piece of gold in his left, and said: "These are forbidden for the males of my ummah." (reported by al-Nisaa’i and Abu Dawud).

Gold is permitted for women because of their delicate and gentle nature, and their need for adornment. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "(Do they then like for Allaah) a creature who is brought up in adornments (wearing gold and silk ornaments, i.e., women), and in dispute cannot make herself clear?" [al-Zukhruf 43:18]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: "Wearing silk and gold is permitted for the women of my ummah and prohibited for the males." (Reported by Imaam Ahmad)

As for men, it is a sign of instability and an unmasculine nature to adorn oneself with gold. Islaam wants the differences between the sexes to be marked clearly, and their distinct characteristics to stand out, because when they resemble one another, much corruption results therefrom. The prohibition of gold for men includes pure gold, gold alloys, cut pieces, joined pieces, gold inlay, etc. As for gold-plating and gilding, some scholars are of the opinion that such articles are forbidden for men if it is possible to extract gold from them (by peeling or shaving off, for example); if no gold can be extracted from it, then such items are permitted. Some scholars say that it is not permitted to wear an item which is wholly or mostly gold-plated, but if only a little part of it is gold-plated (like the hands of a watch, or the numerals, or the tiny points denoting numbers), then it is permitted to wear it. They say that the issue is its appearance, not its value: if the gold-plating is very obvious and covers everything, it is not permitted, because many people will not make the distinction between gold-plate and real gold, and some may follow this person’s example and begin to wear pure gold. And Allaah knows best.

dont know about silver but jewellery is jewellery is it not,,, maybe some further research is needed, brother u dont want to sin for the sake of a lil ring,
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by experts: 4:17pm On Jul 26, 2010
It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (24/77): Wearing rings is permissible for men if they are made of silver or precious stones, except for gold. End quote.

It is permissible for a man to wear rings and watches that contain precious metals or stones – other than gold – such as diamonds, because the basic principle is that they are permissible, and there is no evidence to suggest that that is not allowed, unless they are part of women’s jewellery such as bracelets and necklaces, in which case that is not allowed.

Thirdly:

You should advise your friend and explain to him that it is haraam for men to wear earrings, and that doing so includes a number of things that are haraam: (i) wearing something that contains gold; (ii) imitating women; (iii) imitating the kuffaar, because it is the custom in some kaafir societies for men to wear earrings. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4031); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Fourthly:

It is not permissible for a man to wear women’s jewellery, such as bracelets, necklaces and earrings, whether they are made of gold, silver or anything else, because that is imitating women, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed men who imitate women. This has been discussed in the answer to question no.1980

We ask Allaah to guide us and you.

And Allaah knows best.

here the answer from scholar
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by zubeyr(m): 3:58am On Dec 03, 2010
There is no text in the Koran or Hadith that prohibited a Muslim man from wearing necklace or ring as long as it not made from gold
yeah there is Hadith that stated that cursed is the  man that make himself looks like woman and cursed is the woman that makes herself look like man
so I will say it all depend on someone culture and how they define male and female wear so please dont mix culture with Islam
If your ibo culture says that necklace worn by male would make him look female then just stay away it would be haram since only woman wear it but if is not so is halal for you to wear it Islam has always being flexible and accommodating people cultures it is what we call in Arabic ''Urf "(known and familiar customs ) is like a Muslim Scottish  won't be cursed because in their "urf" ( customs) men wear skirt but for an Arab man it  would be
prohibited (Haram) because in the Arab culture only women wear skirt  and therefore it would make him look like woman

1 Like

Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by babs787(m): 7:20pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Zubeyr

There is no text in the Koran or Hadith that prohibited a Muslim man from wearing necklace or ring as long as it not made from gold
yeah there is Hadith that stated that cursed is the  man that make himself looks like woman and cursed is the woman that makes herself look like man
so I will say it all depend on someone culture and how they define male and female wear so please dont mix culture with Islam
If your ibo culture says that necklace worn by male would make him look female then just stay away it would be haram since only woman wear it but if is not so is halal for you to wear it Islam has always being flexible and accommodating people cultures it is what we call in Arabic ''Urf "(known and familiar customs ) is like a Muslim Scottish  won't be cursed because in their "urf" ( customs) men wear skirt but for an Arab man it  would be
prohibited (Haram) because in the Arab culture only women wear skirt  and therefore it would make him look like woman

Salam

I am surprised that you are drumming your support for men wearing necklace as long as their culture allows. One thing we should at the back of our mind is that ISLAM is totally different from CULTURE. Bringing culture into Islam is what leads to deviation which could be called Innovation (Bidah). The holy Prophet (saw) said we cannot accept the two together, it is either we accept Bidah or Sunnah because those  who indulge in Bidah are not practising Islam as it ought to be.

For example, the one that came to my mind as I am typing is that of prostration during Nikkah. It is well known that on no account must we prostrate for anybody and it is not until we prostrate that we show respect for the elderly but some would say no, it is the culture and you must do it.

Another is killing of cows and throwing parties at a funeral which Islam does not support but when you tell people, they would tell that that is how they have been doing it and one should just accept (CULTURE AGAIN).

On the issue at hand, culture can never supercede the sayings/doings of the prophet. We should also know that there was culture during the prophet's time but he did bring it into Islam because he knew the implication. It has been said that necklace, be it gold or silver is for women and it is for beautification because of their feminity and wearing necklace by men is like copying them and men should never try to look like women and vice versa.

Please, on no account must Culture come before Sunnah,Hadith of the Holy Prophet (saw) as it leads to Bidah.

@LeoChinedu

Salam and I heartily welcome to the fold of Islam. I acepted the call years back and even posted my reversion story. I had to stop there because we should not try to make Islam look difficult for reverts but should be a gradual process. As you proceed, there are some things that you would drop in which you might have been doing before accepting Islam just like prophets took their time in preaching oneness of Allah . They took time preaching because they know that foundation is very key and when that is there, others would be imbibed gradually.

Once again, you are welcome. Feel free to ask any questions bothering you and you would be enlightened.

Maa Salam.
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by azharuddin: 8:01pm On Dec 03, 2010
LeoChinedu:

I love my family and I hope a day will come, when the tears of joy will flow from my eyes, at the news of my family embracing the truth of islam.

Inshallah.
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 04, 2010
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by zubeyr(m): 6:13am On Dec 04, 2010
@ Babs
salam
Thank you for your input and good intention If you read my post again you will see that I reiterate once again that as Muslims we shouldn't be mixing  Islam and culture despite that we all come from different backgrounds and variety of cultural norms values and beliefs we abandoned most of these
values and surrendered to Islamic doctrine which created among us an unified outlook and culture that why the Prophet referred to us as one Ummah  (Nation) I am glad you recognized also that the Prophet SAW brought some part of local cultures  into Islam and so did most Muslim scholars throughout  the world I agree with you that the culture can't supercede Koran and Sunnah 
There is something called "Urf" referred to as customs and practices of given society most scholars agreed that "urf" holds as much authorithy as
Ijma (consensus) and more than "Qiyas"(analogy) as long as it doesn't violate provision from the Koran or the Sunnah and I think clearly Leo 's necklace fits in that category I read the Koran cover to cover thousand time and there is no verse that stated or alluded that a man can't wear 
jewelry I will be glad to bring me a  proof stating otherwise
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by ifyalways(f): 1:16pm On Dec 06, 2010
why is Gold necklace forbidden for men?
Is wearing of rings/bands haram for women?
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Lagosboy: 1:39pm On Dec 06, 2010
All kind of jewelry is permitted for women ify, tell AR to get you a platinum plus diamond ring Lols.

Generally gold is forbidden for men.
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by babs787(m): 6:40pm On Dec 06, 2010
@Zubeyr

I read the Koran cover to cover thousand time and there is no verse that stated or alluded that a man can't wear 
jewelry I will be glad to bring me a  proof stating otherwise 

For the fact that you might not have come across it does not mean it is good or vice versa.

Please what is your take on cigarette smoking (I just want to use something there)

Please why would a man want to wear jewelry (necklace specifically)?
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 06, 2010
babs787:

@Zubeyr
_ _ _Please why would a man want to wear jewelry (necklace specifically)?

The same reason he want to wear a ring (silver specifically)! BTW ring is a jewellery too
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 06, 2010
@Ify,Allah warned us not to pray for an umbeliever living and dead,am just making a refrence to Bawolomo's page you wrote R I P
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by babs787(m): 8:01am On Dec 07, 2010
The same reason he want to wear a ring (silver specifically)! BTW ring is a jewellery too

We all know what ring is for , the prophet's stand on it and I would need to know why would a man wants to wear a necklace (be it gold or silver).
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 07, 2010
Aside religion,i hate a man to put on necklace,be it gold or silver
Re: The Ring : Ring And Islam, All You Need To Know by zubeyr(m): 12:05pm On Dec 08, 2010
@Babs I ask you to bring me the proof that wearing Necklace is Haram and since you can't produce it I think you have to drop the argument
For the cigarette Islamic scholars had mixed views about tobacco and until recently there are not been clear Fatwa (legal opinion ) to allow or forbid cigarette smoking hence one can 't find a verse of the Koran or Hadith saying clearly that cigarette smoking is forbidden but today as the danger of tobacco use has come to be proven beyond any doubt some scholars start to think it is Haram but I don't see here the correlation between smoking and wearing necklace do you?
As for your question why a man would wear necklace ? honestly I don't know since I don't wear one
@uplawal your view on the matter doesn't make any difference

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Islam: How Does One Deal With A Disobedient Wife? / Ruling On Bonus Offered By MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9mobile E.t.c / List of Notable Converts to Islam from Wikipedia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.