Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,208 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers (1578 Views)

No Constitutional Provision For Audu's Death- Lawyers / INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results / Olufemi Olu-kayode Confirms Audu's Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by Bimpe29: 9:26pm On Nov 22, 2015
Following the news of the demise of the All Progressive Congress (APC) gubernatorial candidate, Audu Abubakar in Kogi state on Sunday, lawyers across the country has stated that there is a lacuna as the constitution did not make provisions for such an occurrence According to them, there is an obvious oversight and grave omission of such circumstances in the Nigerian constitution and to move forward, the doctrine of necessity may have to come in. The former Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Ikeja chapter, Onyekachi Monday Ubani told Nigerian Tribune that the matter is a serious one considering that there are no constitutional provisions for such matters “This is a serious one that the constitution did not envisage. There are no precedents to such an occurrence and if we talk about the party choosing another candidate, we also have to consider that the period for selection of candidate has elapsed; there is a time limit for such things. But I think that in this case, the deputy will have to go for a fresh election “If we go by the Supreme Court’s ruling on Rotimi Amaechi’s case where it was held that the party and not the candidate is the beneficiary of elections. So I believe the deputy will have to go for elections and if he wins, he will now choose a deputy. “This is a serious omission and the law needs to be amended quickly,” Ubani concluded Another human rights lawyer, Ikechukwu Ikeji Esq. also aligned with this. According to him, there are no known provisions for this scenario. “There are no laid down rules or provisions for this, the constitution never imagined such an occurrence, the only similar provision to this is Section 36 of the Electoral Act which indicates that if a candidate dies before the polls, INEC should cancel and postpone the election for 14 days. “But now that the election is already underway, the situation is different. In my secular view except further research contradicts what I have said, there should be a fresh election with the deputy or they should go to the Supreme Court for interpretation.” Also speaking, Barrister Olusayo Adeleye stated that there are no provisions for such and consequently, there will have to be a fresh election with Honorable James Abiodun Faleke, the deputy stepping in as the gubernatorial candidate Barrister Kayode Ajayi also stated that since there are no provisions in the constitution, the APC will have to look for another candidate. The doctrine of necessity comes in since the vacuum needs to be filled. The law didn’t envisage this but there must be a way out. Remember when Atiku Abubakar as governor was chosen to be the Vice President, his deputy, Bonny Haruna stood in as the Governor and selected another deputy. Barrister Taoheed Asudemade was also of the same opinion. He stated that since there are no provisions, the APC will have to look for another candidate while INEC will conduct another election. His death has nullified the one that is on-going.
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by ziky2010(m): 9:37pm On Nov 22, 2015
untimely death will not be our portion IJN

2 Likes

Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by rusher14: 9:47pm On Nov 22, 2015
So if the HOPE party (Just for example o!) candidate had passed during the last presidential election we would have had an impasse?

Interesting.
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by mike404(m): 9:49pm On Nov 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu TONYEBARCANISTA
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 9:53pm On Nov 22, 2015
My earlier postulation was then perfectly in order.

Cc Ngeneukwenu

MichealEmeritus stop insulting sensible analysts to avoid chasing the few on Nairaland away.

MichealEmeritus:

Bros u claim to be a lecturer

cant you see that this portion you have quoted does not correlate to the situation at hand?

That is BEFORE the election , not after the elections have taken place

What you have posted is highly irrelevant

No wonder Nigerian students are incapable when they are taught by semi literate teachers.

Gosh...
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by dustmalik: 9:58pm On Nov 22, 2015
Since the constitution didn't envisage this situation, then i think whatever decision is taken by INEC, can be challenged at the courts. This case could go up to the supreme court.
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by Brightology2(m): 10:00pm On Nov 22, 2015
Pls N'landers i need info on d cost of tourism visa to philipine and d duration 4 d readiness
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by PRYCE(m): 10:18pm On Nov 22, 2015
Just as I feared!
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:13am On Nov 23, 2015
Oboy, this will end in Supreme Court
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by ishiamu(m): 7:39am On Nov 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Oboy, this will end in Supreme Court

Naso, ngeneukwenu any contradiction to this?? What do you have to say?
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by oshyno(m): 7:48am On Nov 23, 2015
I bet u if they conduct a fresh election with Faleke as the APC flag bearer, Wada don win be dat.
I heard igala is like hausa, they only vote their own even if he is a dunde.
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:00am On Nov 23, 2015
ishiamu:

Naso, ngeneukwenu any contradiction to this?? What do you have to say?
See, everyone is at best stating opinion. But I am of the opinion that the SC will affirm Faleke as the Governorship candidate without ordering for a fresh election. There are precedents of similar magnetude.
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by ishiamu(m): 8:15am On Nov 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

See, everyone is at best stating opinion. But I am of the opinion that the SC will affirm Faleke as the Governorship candidate without ordering for a fresh election. There are precedents of similar magnetude.

None has to do with death right?
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by mirabel001(f): 9:23am On Nov 23, 2015
ele yi gi di gan.....lawyers @work
Re: No Constitutional Provision For Audu’s Death – Lawyers by Dannyset(m): 11:04am On Nov 23, 2015
Constitution logjam!

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Overstated His Ability To Stop Terrorism.......british Media / Pics: Young Musa Yaradua & Wife Turai In The 70s / Rivers Rerun: PDP Wins APC In Wike’s Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.