Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

This Is What My House Help Did To Me - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / This Is What My House Help Did To Me (92486 Views)

House Help Abuse: Why Some Nigerian Wives Won't Make Heaven / "I Caught My Wife & Driver Making Love In My House" - Lagos Businessman / Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 24, 2015
damiso:

It is always easy to say other people's kids are dull or not academically inclined( especially less privildged children). Meanwhile same person who said house help is a dunce wont mind paying to 'work' special jamb centre for their own child as if a child you need to 'work' Jamb centre for is academically inclined.

All this issues also stem from the fact that nannies/maids/cleaners/security men/ drivers are not seen as human beings. So ordinary just giving them the basic fair working conditions is termed as being 'nice'. There is also no clear job description so its 'rude' if your driver decides that sweeping the compound is not part of his job description( note I am not saying people don't go over and beyond in their jobs my point it should be appreciated, rewarded and not taken for granted).

My sons nursery charges an arm and a leg and if he has an accident i.e. wets himself na so they will change him and pack all his p.oo filled clothes in a bag for me to handle when I get home,. That's cos I pay for them childcare and not for cleaning up his clothes.

Its an African thing. I know some people who are having issues with eastern European Au pairs who refuse to do anything after their working hours.

Dami I just got back from Naija
I still see the looks of shock on the faces of people who serve me in restaurants when I say thank you or I gather our plates up together after eating.
When I am served in the market, I still say thank you even though I am paying you my money. They are human too. Besides what does it cost to show appreciation. Maybe you will be the first person who has been nice to them or made them feel appreciated all day.

Its really sad the way people of lower social class are treated like they are not human.
yet all these people were carried for 9 months like anyone else and they all have blood in their veins and feel pain just as everyone else. . . .and we will all go 6 feet under at the appointed time.

I believe one thing and that very rarely will you be paid back evil for good. There are house helps from hell, but most of thes time these house helps have been treated very badly in the past so they no longer have compassion.
Back in the day our house helps were "auntys" and God help us if any of them reports us to our parents for insolence.

Dami she you know that some people like doing follow follow and now they are all employing au pairs, but most of the ones I know of ends with fight. Why because they want the au pairs to do beyond what was agreed from the start.

I guess its a different mindset regarding labour in Naija. Driver fetches water for the house, madams police orderly carrys madams handbag in the market, students wash teachers clothes, secretary goes to buy amala for oga . . . . . all on the same salary.

I thank God for my parents and the family that I married into. I have learnt a lot from them.

It is well.

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Eketem: 12:42pm On Nov 24, 2015
tearoses:

I still see the looks of shock on the faces of people who serve me in restaurants when I say thank you or I gather our plates up together after eating.
When I am served in the market, I still say thank you even though I am paying you my money. They are human too. Besides what does it cost to show appreciation. Maybe you will be the first person who has been nice to them all day.
Its really sad the way people of lower social class are treated like they are not human.
yet all these people were carried for 9 months like anyone else and they all have blood in their veins and feel pain just as everyone else. . . .and we will all go 6 feet under at the appointed time.
I believe one thing and that very rarely will you be paid back evil for good. There are house helps from hell, but most of thes time these house helps have been treated very badly in the past so they no longer have compassion.
Back in the day our house helps were "auntys" and God help us if any of them reports us to our parents for insolence.
Dami she you know that some people like doing follow follow and now they are all employing au pairs, but most of the ones I know of ends with fight. Why because they want the au pairs to do beyond what was agreed from the start.
I guess its a different mindset regarding labour in Naija. Driver fetches water for the house, madams police orderly carrys madams handbag in the market, students wash teachers clothes, secretary goes to buy amala for oga . . . . . all on the same salary.
It is well.

In our own wonderful jobs we stick to our job descriptions, if you are employed as a manager and your employer now asks you to be sweeping and cleaning the office they will rush to Nairaland and start a thread.

I have been shouting that a maid is different from a nanny, different from a cook, but we no go hear that one. Someone is counting less than 50k as one big investment on an "Ungrateful maid" that is registration and fees for a whole year oh meaning payment for all the services is about N4000 a month less than recharge card money or BlackBerry subscription yet the maid should be grateful else she won't "have a future"

People looking for cheap labour will keep dealing with these issues and even worse. What does a teenager know about caring for a baby? A nanny needs training, the right temperament and good working conditions: a nanny isn't a maid

3 Likes

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Eketem: 12:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
damiso:

It is always easy to say other people's kids are dull or not academically inclined( especially less privildged children). Meanwhile same person who said house help is a dunce wont mind paying to 'work' special jamb centre for their own child as if a child you need to 'work' Jamb centre for is academically inclined.

All this issues also stem from the fact that nannies/maids/cleaners/security men/ drivers are not seen as human beings. So ordinary just giving them the basic fair working conditions is termed as being 'nice'. There is also no clear job description so its 'rude' if your driver decides that sweeping the compound is not part of his job description( note I am not saying people don't go over and beyond in their jobs my point it should be appreciated, rewarded and not taken for granted).

My sons nursery charges an arm and a leg and if he has an accident i.e. wets himself na so they will change him and pack all his p.oo filled clothes in a bag for me to handle when I get home,. That's cos I pay for them childcare and not for cleaning up his clothes.

Its an African thing. I know some people who are having issues with eastern European Au pairs who refuse to do anything after their working hours.

Job description only applies to us with our posh jobs, it doesn't apply to the lowly among us

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Originalsly: 1:01pm On Nov 24, 2015
"Luckily one of the staff told me ...." Afterall...you found out you weren't lucky. You needed house help...with all the heartbreaking house help news that been circulating...don't you think you should be extra careful in who you decide to bring under your roof?...you who are in a good job... your husband in a good job... shouldn't you be extra careful? Did you try asking family members? from both your and his side?...or everyone is above that? Even if...did you seriously enquire about the girl before you took her in? ...I doubt it. Now that things fall apart....there should be no more follow up talks about anything....especially with her parents. If you do need to say anything. ..it should be directed to the one that recommended her. Just count your lucky stars this cost you only the ehmmm...scraps you had in your refrigerator ..... learn from this experience and always....look before you leap.
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by shndy: 1:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
iriskiki:
Please calculate and show us how to plan a home or do family planning where you can have kids and work without help from somewhere or someone?
To each his own, I don't see what gabinogem wrote that is so out of d ordinary. That's his own view which u don't have to accept.
When we were about marrying, my hubby told me he doesn't want a maid in our home, I couldn't agree less cos I don't want one too.
Am a working mom, my husband works and we've bn coping pretty well. I know loads of working couples who don't have a maid and they are surviving. It's all in planning u see!
Having/Not having a maid is strictly ur choice.

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by damiso(f): 1:46pm On Nov 24, 2015
tearoses:

When I am served in the market, I still say thank you even though I am paying you my money. They are human too. Besides what does it cost to show appreciation. Maybe you will be the first person who has been nice to them or made them feel appreciated all day.

I thank God for my parents and the family that I married into. I have learnt a lot from them.

It is well.

Na that same omo odo mentality that they want to carry for au pair. When the au pair now revolts they will be vexing. Of course the au pair will help with dishes( if I was an au pair I would ) cook for the baby, clean messy play areas generally help around the house( I think that's where they are a bit different from Nannies) but you sef should know that you have crossed your boundary when you start telling au pair to iron bed sheets and duvet cover( this actually happened).
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by shndy: 1:51pm On Nov 24, 2015
vascey:
People asking her not to go may be right.

But the girl threatened her son for goodness sake.

What kind of mother allows that to just slide.

If Na me, I will even involve police self.

Those capable of evil acts do not understand the language of "letting things slide".

She needs to be aware that if anything happens to Op son or family, she, her mother and rest of the family will be thrown in jail and the keys thrown away.

You don't back away from some kind of people o. You fight back. Who says she can't perpetuate her evil acts from the village.

She needs to write an undertaking self. Don't let this go. That girl may have some demonic forces working in her and you don't back down for those.

Oga it's better she doesn't involve d police o, she can never win such case , she'll instead be charged wt child labour and will spend loads of money if she doesn't want to end up in jail.
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by princeonx: 2:17pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eketem:

Send your own 11 year old daughter to be a househelp then come back and tell us if your daughter was a " good one" to somebody.

An 11 year old child has no business being a househelp, she is a developing child who needs to learn and play not be saddled with your kids. Gosh, what is wrong with us? Stop this please. Hire a professional or get a creche, stop being penny wise and pound foolish not to talk of illegal, an 11 year old can barely take care of herself. If you are afraid of your husbands fidelity with an older girl then deal with your husband not make a child your maid abeg.
You said it well, thank you!! I read some post where some people claim you can not do without a house help or maid. Well sorry to disappoint then, yes you can. We don't have gardeners, driver, gateman, housemaid, (naija style) etc in the USA. We do those jobs ourself and If you must use the services or help of any of those jobs I named, then you will pay for it bcox it's done by professionals and adults as their JOB not Kids.
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by rajeto: 3:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
I can`t stop laughing,people still accepting an unknown person as house help,even the known from extended family members are just too dangerous,please,count yourself very lucky that your children were not poisoned,hurt you,or even take over your husband,madam try and manage with your children,by keeping them late at school with extra fees from a nearby day care

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by cococandy(f): 3:29pm On Nov 24, 2015
Acidosis:

My crush sad Dis wan you're attacking me naw ehn undecided
Dem no dey do crush for this kind thing grin
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Acidosis(m): 3:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
cococandy:
Dem no dey do crush for this kind thing grin
sad grin Consider me oo, crushing aint easy sad
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by gabinogem(m): 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2015
iriskiki:
Please calculate and show us how to plan a home or do family planning where you can have kids and work without help from somewhere or someone?
please I have no time to start arguing trivially here, I believe we are mostly adults here & we have our priorities, we should learn to put them in order... nagging doesn't solve problems only critical & positive thinking. Have a nice night.

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Aceed: 5:07pm On Nov 24, 2015
Be like say the op sabi prayer because wetin I think say the maid be na ogbanje or pesin wey dem send :@

she for use the pikin obtain masters degree if not for God cheesy
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Zuriela: 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2015
glossy6:

Hmmmm. I laugh in Latin. last yr Oct, I brought an 11yr old naive girl from the village to help me at home. she bedwets and mop up the mess with the pillows.

I enrolled her in a private school close to my house where she was admitted in Basic 4. I bought textbooks for her & she started schooling immediately. But aside the bedwetting which has stopped after much coaching, she can't wash dishes clean enough even up to now. she sweeps the house using 2 hrs 30 mins on the average. At the end of the sweeping exercise, you will wish she never did.

She tell lies more than any human being living. I have been asking after her homework which she kept on saying she was not given. She will be idling away while my kids sweat it out doing loads of homework. I wasn't ready to confront the proprietress on this since I had confronted her when she was in Basic 4. I don't want to be seen as disliking her teachers. hers was the only school that admitted her in Basic 4, others went as low as basic 2.

About 5wks ago, I brought up the homework issue again and I sent someone to confirm from her classmate if they were not given homework and why?

2wks later the story remained same but she went to school to allege that house chores does not permit her to do homework. that she is being starved (she serves food to herself )......and lots of unprintable lies.

Conclusion: you hardly can find a good one. No matter what you do to them, you are not her biological mum and she can NEVER appreciate you.

11yr old ke? She's danm too small
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by babygirlfl: 5:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
tearoses:
Whilst you were away she would have missed 2 weeks of school whilst she was with your husband (you said he resided 4 hours away from Lagos)

She had only just started the school and was settling in and suddenly she is going to be off school for at least weeks. This could have been what upset her and made her to leave abruptly

I am not saying what she did was right, but officially she is still a kid herself so one has to expect some childish behaviour from a kid from time to time

Also how much notice did you give her about her change of location? Has she ever met your husband before now? All this is new territory for her too. She is only 15.

I am happy that your baby is Okay

unfortunately this is a fall out of the society that we live in where families are forced to live in different cities due to lack of good jobs and one person is left to deal with what 2 people should do.
OP, both yours and your hubby's primary responsibly is towards your children so you both need to work out what is best for them.

Exactly. A child will definitely act like a child. Some people will beat up their maid or give a maid a bad name for the same thing their child that age will do and they will overlook it.
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by soonest(f): 5:48pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eketem:

In our own wonderful jobs we stick to our job descriptions, if you are employed as a manager and your employer now asks you to be sweeping and cleaning the office they will rush to Nairaland and start a thread.

I have been shouting that a maid is different from a nanny, different from a cook, but we no go hear that one. Someone is counting less than 50k as one big investment on an "Ungrateful maid" that is registration and fees for a whole year oh meaning payment for all the services is about N4000 a month less than recharge card money or BlackBerry subscription yet the maid should be grateful else she won't "have a future"

People looking for cheap labour will keep dealing with these issues and even worse. What does a teenager know about caring for a baby? A nanny needs training, the right temperament and good working conditions: a nanny isn't a maid
Quote me properly if you are referring to me. Yes less than 50k. Did i pick d money. Can her parents afford the 50k sch. School fees in your village is per session and not per term abi? Help me calculate her feeding, clothing, housing and needs. Did i get my investment worth? She didn't stay up to 4weeks. her parents kept calling me to have her back why? Yes i expect gratitude because she had a better deal with me than where she was coming from.
Madam/Oga benefactor, take care of all these maids so that their parents don't have to send them out. Case closed. Thank you

3 Likes

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by babygirlfl: 5:52pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eketem:

Send your own 11 year old daughter to be a househelp then come back and tell us if your daughter was a " good one" to somebody.

An 11 year old child has no business being a househelp, she is a developing child who needs to learn and play not be saddled with your kids. Gosh, what is wrong with us? Stop this please. Hire a professional or get a creche, stop being penny wise and pound foolish not to talk of illegal, an 11 year old can barely take care of herself. If you are afraid of your husbands fidelity with an older girl then deal with your husband not make a child your maid abeg.

Well said dear. Why can't people hire mature maids? What all this nonsense with taking kids as maids yet pretend to be helping them pay fees. If they want to help, they should pay her fees and leave her in her parents house. It seems like wickedness is increasingly becoming normal.

3 Likes

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by babygirlfl: 5:59pm On Nov 24, 2015
tearoses:

I also note that the househelps school hours are shorter than the 2 year olds hours
Thats why she drops him off before going to school and picks him up when she finishes

I was a the hairdressers the other day and a woman bought her kid housegirl with her. kid was about 12.
When she was asked why the kid was not in school she said the kid was a dunce and failed and she was fed up of paying fees for nothing.
. . . . Of course she will not mention the fact that the kid probably only went to school for 2 days a week and never had any free time to do her school work or study for exams.
At least now she has an excuse not to send the kid to school anymore
Yet the womans kids are studying for their Masters abroad.
It is well.

Parents would pay for extra lessons for their kids when they don't do well in school. Yet will not give another persons child a chance to read enough to pass and withdraw her at the first sign of trouble. As you said, it is well. I just wish people will only have the number of kids they can take care of.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Eketem: 6:00pm On Nov 24, 2015
soonest:

Quote me properly if you are referring to me. Yes less than 50k. Did i pick d money. Can her parents afford the 50k sch. School fees in your village is per session and not per term abi? Help me calculate her feeding, clothing, housing and needs. Did i get my investment worth? She didn't stay up to 4weeks. her parents kept calling me to have her back why? Yes i expect gratitude because she had a better deal with me than where she was coming from.
Madam/Oga benefactor, take care of all these maids so that their parents don't have to send them out. Case closed. Thank you

Sorry you bought a slave and didn't get your values worth.
You refer to investment like she is a thing or good. It is well, I blame the parents who bring these kids into the world without planning to suffer such indignity .

I once got a job, they sent me for training running into millions, less than a month after I got a better offer yet when I told my boss he was happy for me because he said it was a good opportunity for me to grow. He didn't make me a mere investment from whom he had not recovered any gain. May God save us from poverty and such indignity

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by soonest(f): 6:08pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eketem:

Sorry you bought a slave and didn't get your values worth.
You refer to investment like she is a thing or good. It is well, I blame the parents who bring these kids into the world without planning to suffer such indignity
Check the dictionary meaning of investment before you go quoting about. I'm presently investing in my children so that they can turn out good for me and for the society. Yes invest, go figure. If you buy slaves i don't. What a myopic reasoning.
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by soonest(f): 6:13pm On Nov 24, 2015
@ eketem, Clap for your self for cheating your boss. Where are your morals? No wonder some of these cooperate bodies make their staff sign bonds to stay for a certain number of years before sending them for costly training. When you are the one at cheating/receiving end is fair abi? If he made you sign a bond, you cry blue murder. Abegggiiiiii
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 24, 2015
CL I sight you.
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Eketem: 6:21pm On Nov 24, 2015
soonest:
@ eketem, Clap for your self for cheating your boss. Where are your morals? No wonder some of these cooperate bodies make their staff sign bonds to stay for a certain number of years before sending them for costly training. When you are the one at cheating/receiving end is fair abi? If he made you sign a bond, you cry blue murder. Abegggiiiiii

lol I don't know the kind of organisations you have worked probably slavery promoting ones, the highest that any organisation can expect is some notice and forfeting one months salary. It's a contract and not by force. People grow people move only witchcraft will want one to stagnate

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by soonest(f): 6:28pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eketem:

lol I don't know the kind of organisations you have worked probably slavery promoting ones, the highest that any organisation can expect is some notice and forfeting one months salary. It's a contract and not by force. People grow people move only witchcraft will want one to stagnate
The way you mention slavery seems you know one or two about it. You are only concerned about your own growth why not the company that sent you for training too. Or you must be the one benefiting in any alliance you find yourself

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Eketem: 6:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
soonest:

The way you mention slavery seems you know one or two about it. You are only concerned about your own growth why not the company that sent you for training too. Or you must be the one benefiting in any alliance you find yourself

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by soonest(f): 6:46pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eketem:

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lol, this got me laughing. My dear enjoy your evening. This life is not 'one size fits all', different opinions,different circumstances etc.
Cheers
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 24, 2015
babygirlfl:

Parents would pay for extra lessons for their kids when they don't do well in school. Yet will not give another persons child a chance to read enough to pass and withdraw her at the first sign of trouble. As you said, it is well. I just wish people will only have the number of kids they can take care of.

The first thing I noticed was how she put the girl in a government school, a child you claim wasn't doing well academically. I decided to shut up kwa, before them go say I done talk.
She put the lil girl in govt. school so that she can close early and be "useful".

2 Likes

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by glossy6(f): 9:05pm On Nov 24, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

The first thing I noticed was how she put the girl in a government school, a child you claim wasn't doing well academically. I decided to shut up kwa, before them go say I done talk.
She put the lil girl in govt. school so that she can close early and be "useful".

Please is there anything wrong with government schools in Lagos? I want to know so as to withdraw my kids from them. cry[quote author=Kachisbarbie post=40367619]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by glossy6(f): 9:06pm On Nov 24, 2015
cry cry
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 24, 2015
Alal:
don't trust you, you go f**k her hubby.
Only when she rape me
Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Nobody: 12:36am On Nov 25, 2015
glossy6:

Please is there anything wrong with government schools in Lagos? I want to know so as to withdraw my kids from them. cry

See, I kept laughing at her ignorance. Maybe she wants me to start paying for malpractice too. I did my research before putting her there.

She spoke about 'closing early and be useful'.... Chai... If 3.30 is close early, then.... I reserve my comment. You can tell the IQ of a person from their posts.

And d poster that spoke about her dropping my son at school. My boy rather goes to school very early so that she's in school too before 7.30.

I ignored unreasonable comments like hers, acidosis' and of course madam of senseless posters'.

I have picked the very useful ones and moved on.

You are an FCA, wow. I doubt the likes of her know what that means... you are an achiever.

Thanks Ojugunrege. You were once in my shoes.

1 Like

Re: This Is What My House Help Did To Me by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 25, 2015
@OP, the last time I checked, govt schools close by 2pm and weren't better equipped for wards with poor academic performance. If they close later in Lag "currently" _ you state it.
Everytime people like you will be talking IQ, which IQ test did you pass on NL that made you Queen of IQ?
Nne you guys should go get a professional nanny or more considerate jobs, don't wait/expect all of us to support "child labour".

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

My Husband Insists I Dish Food For Him / Photo Of The Woman Who Died In A Car Accident While Chasing Her Cheating Husband / She Told Me A Very Dark Secret, Should I Still Marry Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.