Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,792 members, 7,956,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:42 PM

Police Is Your Friend Campaign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Is Your Friend Campaign (735 Views)

"Police Is Your Friend"- US Based Nigerian Lady Says After Hitching A Ride. PIC / When The Inspector General Is Your Friend (hilarious Photos) / Police Is Your Friend Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Is Your Friend Campaign by semochendo1(m): 2:45pm On Nov 25, 2015
EPISODE 1: POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND!

Today, as if TVC knew what I wanted to write about, the first movie they played was "Idamu awako" , meaning "The agony of a driver", it primarily addressed how policemen treat drivers and average Nigerians. The movie shows that NP contains the good and the bad eggs, which we all know.

Just after the movie was another popular program called "your view" on the same TVC, in the introductory part of the program, the cries of Nigerian police family was addressed in a particular newspaper, where families of dead police officers cry out demanding for N500k insurance benefit meant for them, which has not been paid for years, and that's a plus to this article.

This headline must have attracted some negative curiosity, I'm sure 95% of the readers here will say NO, that Police is not our friend. They may be right going by their personal experiences or several alleged reports of bribery/corruption against the police. In summary, we've all consciously or unconsciously grew up to develop a negative perception about the NPF, the perception built our hatred, and funnily, we expect love from someone we hate, how practically impossible.

If we must have a better Nigerian police, we must change our attitude towards them. Only a fool do the same thing, in the same way, and expect a different result. We can't continue to have this negative perception/hatred for policemen and expect them to change, if they must change, we must change aswell.

In order to make this article comprehensive, I was at the police station close to me today to meet with their DPO and some officers, I told them of my motive to champion a POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND CAMPAIGN and they were all exited about it, I heard more than I can divulge here at once.

Now to start with, we need to understand the word police is your friend, friendship doesn't exist in a vacuum, friendship is a function of love, respect, understanding and responsibilities, meaning if we've not shown any of these, then we shouldn't expect the benefit accrued to friendship.

If police is truly your friend, will you be happy seeing your friend working under the rain and hot sun, patrolling in the middle of the night risking his life for the citizens, live in police barrack better compared with pigs abode, all for a salary less than N30/50k. As a matter of fact, compare to the countries across the world, NPF salary structure is referred to as "survival stipend"

An average Nigerian police is a frustrated man, he's not been salaries on time, accumulated bills to pay, personal family issues to attend to, yet, he's being pushed under the sun to control traffic and watch over you, who hardly appreciates him. He's there doing a job he knows his family future is not guaranteed should he lost his life, because he has practically seen how the families of those who had died suffers. How many of us can do this?

It's in the light of this I've decided to come with this campaign, I want a change of our perception and attitude towards the police, we are the ones to make them feel loved and appreciated before we can enjoy them.

I want a new Nigeria,;

Where we will no longer see the N20,N50, N100 we give the police as a bribe/corruption but our token of appreciation of their effort on the road.

Where passengers will add money for the drivers when he wants to give them money, just to say thank you police

Where those who have cars will buy a pack of bottled water, put inside the car and give it to the policemen he sees at every point, just to say thank you..

Where you will check out the shoe of that police in your house junction that you know has worn out, ask for his size and get him one, just to show appreciation for his work.

Where companies and individuals, will take their products to the police station and give to the police, just like I did today, to say, thank you for protecting us, even though we know It's God that protects.

Let's all start doing this and see if police will harass anyone or ask anyone for a bribe, they will automatically feel loved and appreciated, that alone would lift their soul, raise their commitment to quality service with integrity..

I want every citizen of this country to be an ambassador of this campaign, walk into the nearest police station to you, even if It's a bag of pure water/satchet water , take it there, and tell them you are a member of "police is your friend campaign", and see reactions.

It may take time, but things will change, only if we are ready to change the status quo.

#SUPPORT POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND CAMPAIGN
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by benedictnsi(m): 2:47pm On Nov 25, 2015
But of reality, Who police don help
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by semochendo1(m): 2:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
benedictnsi:
But of reality, Who police don help

So many people Sir, have you needed them at a point and they refused to help?
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by benedictnsi(m): 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2015
semochendo1:

My brother, no need to cover facts.... As far as I'm concerned in this great country, our police have done more harm than good..... They have even sold the little respect they used to have..... They are so money minded that once bribed, they will say something everyone knows to be white, they will claim it is black
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by drmikeadams(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
semochendo1:

?....e be like ur referring to Ghana police not Nigeria police
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by semochendo1(m): 3:39pm On Nov 25, 2015
benedictnsi:

My brother, no need to cover facts.... As far as I'm concerned in this great country, our police have done more harm than good..... They have even sold the little respect they used to have..... They are so money minded that once bribed, they will say something everyone knows to be white, they will claim it is black

I'm not covering any fact Sir, that Nigerian police have bad records is an indisputable fact, but that doesn't erase the fact that people have benefited from them interms of loyalty...It's not possible as that will be fallacious.
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by benedictnsi(m): 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
semochendo1:

I'm not covering any fact Sir, that Nigerian police have bad records is an indisputable fact, but that doesn't erase the fact that people have benefited from them interms of loyalty...It's not possible as that will be fallacious.

Try to juxtapose the Nigerian police with any other developed country's police, tell me if it's not a direct opposite undecided

My brother, after so many observations, I have come to the conclusion that people are keeping isolation to the Nigerian police because the recommendation stipulated in our Constitution regarding the functions of our police institution have been kept in violation by top and young officers in the police stations....... To me bros, the validity of the police personalities can not be recognized in our vicinities until there is a government agencies that will chakemate the excesses of the police responsibilities.
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by yanabasee(m): 4:07pm On Nov 25, 2015
semochendo1:

Dude... Doez niggaz don't help.... At all times... When you need them most..you will have to settle them....

A lot of notorious criminals that annihilate homes and steal money and properties are often curbed by these police officers who actually get their cut from these criminals...
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by semochendo1(m): 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2015
benedictnsi:

Try to juxtapose the Nigerian police with any other developed country's police, tell me if it's not a direct opposite undecided

My brother, after so many observations, I have come to the conclusion that people are keeping isolation to the Nigerian police because the recommendation stipulated in our Constitution regarding the functions of our police institution have been kept in violation by top and young officers in the police stations....... To me bros, the validity of the police personalities can not be recognized in our vicinities until there is a government agencies that will chakemate the excesses of the police responsibilities.

Sir, with all humility, I can tell you that there's no government agency to checkmate them and bring as much change as what I've narrated above. All the police need to be shown now is love, respect and appreciation. That will give them a sense on internal fulfillment and happiness.

Sir, if I may ask, have you ever shown a kind gesture to any police officer? We go to them/give them money only when we have problems.

Comparing our police with the rest ofd world is like mocking them, our police don't earn upto 20% of the US police, so , what are we saying?

The only thing the Gov can do is to review their salary upward.
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by semochendo1(m): 4:51pm On Nov 25, 2015
yanabasee:

Dude... Doez niggaz don't help.... At all times... When you need them most..you will have to settle them....

A lot of notorious criminals that annihilate homes and steal money and properties are often curbed by these police officers who actually get their cut from these criminals...

Sir, you are right, and It's simply because they are frustrated, hungary and unappreciated. That's why we need to move in the direction described above.
Re: Police Is Your Friend Campaign by benedictnsi(m): 5:40pm On Nov 25, 2015
semochendo1:

Sir, with all humility, I can tell you that there's no government agency to checkmate them and bring as much change as what I've narrated above. All the police need to be shown now is love, respect and appreciation. That will give them a sense on internal fulfillment and happiness.

Sir, if I may ask, have you ever shown a kind gesture to any police officer? We go to them/give them money only when we have problems.

Comparing our police with the rest ofd world is like mocking them, our police don't earn upto 20% of the US police, so , what are we saying?

The only thing the Gov can do is to review their salary upward.

Lol bros.... We are almost saying same thing here but you still misconceptualizing me somehow.....

@bolded sentence, I quote....... "what type of love and respect are you advocating or canvassing on their behalf when they are the one who turned their Effectiveness turpsy-turvy They ain't even complaining and are completely complacent about it

In your Second group of sentences, I do that almost anytime I come in contact with them especially here in my shop ...... I'm not that kinda Nigeria who nurtures or keeps malice simply because they've got compendium of bad records...... But that doesn't mean I wouldn't call a spade a spade.....

Your last words said it all.......

(1) (Reply)

APC Must Wield The Big Stick On Stubborn Faleke / Omg! You Won't Believe The Kind Of Meal Sani Abacha's Daughter Ate At A Restaura / Caption This Picture!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.