Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

See The Best Ways To React To An Insult - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / See The Best Ways To React To An Insult (3245 Views)

Biskit Presses His Mom's Butt, Shares Video, Nigerians React / How Does Your Mother React To "I Love You Mom"? / "She Carry Belle For Front & Back" - Media React To Lady's Pregnancy Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by teemystic(f): 5:36pm On Nov 29, 2015
It seems some people just enjoy insulting and teasing others, because they feel within themselves a sense of insecurity or want to look cool in front of others. Most times, they are looking for a reaction, and they expect it, so don't show them that they are hurting you by letting it get at you. If the insult seems real, and not some misguided attempt at a joke, the situation can be hurtful and confusing. Try some of these helpful strategies and you can walk away with your head up high.

Take a few moment to think about what the other person wants. People don't start fights for no reason. Think about what they're hoping to get from you. Are they trying to intimidate you? Are they trying to make you look stupid / incompetent in front of others? Are they trying to start an argument? Think before you react since you don't want to give them the satisfaction of making you upset

Use the location of the incident to your advantage in planning your response. A person who insults you in public is most likely trying to lower your social status and raise their own. A person that targets you when you're on your own is hoping to find you vulnerable. Humor is usually an effective response for three reasons: it undermines the insult, it brings the audience (if any) on side, and it diffuses the tension of the situation. Sometimes, it might even be appropriate to exaggerate or add to the insult so as to make a mockery of the insulter and, by extension, of the insult. For example "Ah, if only you had known me better, you would have found greater fault still!"
You could also take a serious approach, if you'd like, rather than a joke. Lacking much emotion, use the common "What's wrong with you?" speech.
Key things to say include:
"Why can't you just mind your own business?"

"What anyone else does doesn't involve you. Just let people live their lives."

"Why are you so spiteful/judgmental? Why can't you just be nice to people?"

"You're sad/pitiful."
This often makes people feel bad for teasing because it allows them to see how much of a bully they really are.

Change the subject. For example, if the person insults your dress sense, you could respond with a nonchalant, "Yes, that's true and maybe you can tell me where you shop for your clothes?" This will derail the other person's train of thought.
If your friends are the ones that usually tease you, step back and evaluate your relationship with them. Do they really mean to make you laugh, or make you feel bad? Perhaps if they tease you so much, you should stop being friends with them. Let them know that their remarks are not appreciated.
If it's just someone teasing you, then don't react much as you don't know that person much.
Try not to show your feelings if you are insulted or teased. The more you act hurt, the more the insults will continue.
Always remember that there is only one ‘you’ and no one has the right to make you feel bad about yourself.
Read more on www.healthylifecoupon.com /See the Best Ways to React to an Insult

4 Likes

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 29, 2015
If anyone needs to say anything negative about me, I shake it off. It is none of my business and it doesn't change the fact that I love myself.

Never let anyone's hatred contaminate you. Let it be their own poison, don't feed from it, ignore it.

7 Likes

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by missKiffy(f): 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2015
Confirm
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 29, 2015
Has anyone got time to start examining him/herself cos of an insult

Well it depend on who the insulter is,....
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by michaelo2(m): 6:04pm On Nov 29, 2015
if any one insults in public or alone i start singing I don't care in my head
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by UIA04(f): 8:42pm On Nov 29, 2015
I like the part were you'll ask the person to show you where to shop
I remember using it for a so called friend who teased me that i had bad posture and i was like ok if you say so teach me na she didn't open her mouth again
Some people just deserve to be put in their place but not with abuses or blows unless both of you are in the same level if you let them go always then they and every one will think you are weak
The right answer must be well calculated to have the kind of effect he/she would think of it for days
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by tpiadotcom: 4:27am On Nov 30, 2015
Interesting!

Low self esteem people do try to make themselves feel better by throwing underhand insults at others.

Imo, it only reflects their miserable mindset and I do empathize with them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by ifyalways(f): 5:23am On Nov 30, 2015
These days, I tend to ignore.

1 Like

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by cococandy(f): 5:34am On Nov 30, 2015
If you insult me, I insult you back. X2 or x10 as the spirit leads. Sorry. cool

I Only ignore you when I don't have the energy or desire to engage. Or if I consider you a riffraff not worth the attention, mb or the words.

2 Likes

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Allwility: 5:52am On Nov 30, 2015
cococandy:

I Only ignore you when I don't have the energy or desire to engage. Or if I consider you a riffraff not worth the attention, mb or the words.

This got me laughing.

@OP it depends on the insult. If you insult me, now that's a light thing...you are free. Go and sin no more.

But if you insult my honor...now that's a terrible thing and can only be settled by a duel.
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by tpiadotcom: 6:03am On Nov 30, 2015
If someone with no honour or who doesn't know the meaning of honour, insults someone who has honour and knows what it is, then the one who knows the meaning has two choices: either you make allowance for the fact that the other person lacks something s/he doesn't know s/he needs, or you teach them what it means.

The latter option is not always feasible if it is futile.

2 Likes

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by lilmax(m): 7:04am On Nov 30, 2015
Waiting for the nigerian version
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by JoeCutie(m): 7:33am On Nov 30, 2015
cococandy:

Nawao! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by babygirlfl: 7:59am On Nov 30, 2015
I used to be someone that would ignore insults. I still do a lot of the time. However, sometimes you can't help it because you are human. When someone charges at you like an animal, you just have to treat them like an animal that they are. Also some people feel better about themselves when they put other people down. While such people are not worth it, sometimes it's worth putting them down too. The most insultive people I have come across have nothing going for them and would want you to join in their frustration. It usually hurts such people more as they know you have placed them where they personally know they belong. You know you have done a good job when you see their continuous display of bitterness.

Sometimes I ignore because I don't have the time and energy to engage. It does take time and energy to engage someone. Online expecially, you type, wait for a reply, then reply again and wait for a reply. Imagine you just wanted to comment and disappear maybe because you are on break at work or a meeting, then someone quotes you and starts chatting nonsense, it would be you wasting your time and risking you job if you leave everything you are supposed to do to come and engage that person.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
This post just reminded me that I was insulted over the weekend for wanting to leave the table after lunch for some other activity..
It pained me but I think her chi was alive that day..
Cos I just said "I am angry but can I still leave please"
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by HaneefahRN(f): 1:33pm On Nov 30, 2015
cococandy:

Lolz. U got me laughing.
Personally, I don't insult back. But the way I wld reply the person wld be worse than a direct insult. The person wld feel stupid or even more annoyed becos he or she wldn't even be able to pick out any insult in my utterances.
Talk abt polite insults, more painful than direct ones I tell u.
But if I knw or noticed the person is always like a rabid dog, I ignore.

1 Like

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Kimoni: 4:21pm On Nov 30, 2015
Mindfulness:
If anyone needs to say anything negative about me, I shake it off. It is none of my business and it doesn't change the fact that I love myself.

Never let anyone's hatred contaminate you. Let it be their own poison, don't feed from it, ignore it.

Way to go!

1 Like

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by teemystic(f): 2:02pm On Dec 01, 2015
cococandy:

Lol! It's always better to consider if the person is worth your reply and what they are aiming at or want. If you must reply

1 Like

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Elegantdiva: 3:25pm On Dec 01, 2015
Very funny! I simply laugh it out.
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Baddo101(m): 5:11pm On Dec 01, 2015
The best way to react to insult is to keep silent. Dats my weakness though but im improving on it God help me.
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 01, 2015
babygirlfl:
I used to be someone that would ignore insults. I still do a lot of the time. However, sometimes you can't help it because you are human. When someone charges at you like an animal, you just have to treat them like an animal that they are. Also some people feel better about themselves when they put other people down. While such people are not worth it, sometimes it's worth putting them down too. The most insultive people I have come across have nothing going for them and would want you to join in their frustration. It usually hurts such people more as they know you have placed them where they personally know they belong. You know you have done a good job when you see their continuous display of bitterness.

Sometimes I ignore because I don't have the time and energy to engage. It does take time and energy to engage someone. Online expecially, you type, wait for a reply, then reply again and wait for a reply. Imagine you just wanted to comment and disappear maybe because you are on break at work or a meeting, then someone quotes you and starts chatting nonsense, it would be you wasting your time and risking you job if you leave everything you are supposed to do to come and engage that person.
No one else could have said it better especially the second emboldened. smiley

3 Likes

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by nasha1(f): 10:12pm On Dec 01, 2015
narailanders the land of dreamers grin grin grin,the internet has given many people validation they wouldnt dream about.
when everyone logout,they know their places no need 2 prove anything.the truth is right there offline. cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 01, 2015
babygirlfl:
You know you have done a good job when you see their continuous display of bitterness.

8 Likes

Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by SAMBARRY: 11:08pm On Dec 01, 2015
I won't even let the matter get cold before I drop it like Its hot.

The nl lunatics know better now wink cool
Re: See The Best Ways To React To An Insult by nasha1(f): 1:14am On Dec 02, 2015
you know they are bitter when they continuously comeback with the pretence of not being bitter. grin grin
this game is so sweet,so easy 2 read through them.they just cant help it. wink waiting for more display of real bitterness.oh the irony.
i know i am doing a great job when they keep coming back and pretending. tongue

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

My Girl Friend Is Being Sexually Harassed By Her Aunt's Husband / I Need Help Before Making A Mistake To Buy This Pot / under what circumstances can you kill your spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.