Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm (634 Views)

SHOCKER!!! South Eastern States Support Nigeria? / South Eastern States And Their Natural Resources. / This Is How The Republic Of The South South States Should Look Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm by Ikengawo: 4:26pm On Nov 30, 2015
As the idea of competing kindreds have accelerated Igboland beyond black Africa, so too should the idea of competing states.
I don't buy into the idea of Onitsha being a 'trading city' while Owerri is a 'tourist city'. Owerri should be build bigger and better markets than what is in Onitsha and Onitsha bigger and better hotels than what is in Owerri. I'm pan-igbo in my thinking but part of that comes with an understanding of the value of diverse competing parties for the sake of progress. In Onitsha sees that Asaba or Enugu is building an international market that's better than there the pressure to improve their own will skyrocket. Even now, Aba has a monopoly on business from PH and Akwa Ibom as most of those states and cities residents get their supplies and shopping needs from Aba. So both Aba and Osha can exist as trading and industry cities without competing with each other. But if Umuahia becomes more industrial, Aba will have to step up, and if Asaba becomes more industrial, Osha will have to step up. So I don't believe we should encouage any 'one stop shop' economies in the east. Each kindred, or city, should look at their respective areas are a sovereign entity and not think about their citizens going elsewhere for employment. In doing this they will make sure to have every possible economic sector represented in a competitive way in their zone.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Re: Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm by tpiadotcom: 4:28pm On Nov 30, 2015
competition, if done the right way, boosts up the free market.

when done the wrong way, turns into a bunch of meaningless jargon and merry go rounds while going nowhere.
Re: Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm by basilo101: 7:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
Healthy competition brings out the best
Re: Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm by Afam4eva(m): 4:32pm On Dec 06, 2015
I don't buy into the competition like you highlighted. I don't see why Owerri should build a market just to compete with Onitsha when they should use their uniqueneas to their advantage. That's not to say Owerri cannot have a market but not necessarily in the scale of Onitsha. We should learn to support ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm by chimerase2: 5:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
I dnt fink owerri has what it takes to compete with onitsha, meanwhile am from owerri
Re: Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm by Afam4eva(m): 5:10pm On Dec 06, 2015
chimerase2:
I dnt fink owerri has what it takes to compete with onitsha, meanwhile am from owerri
Owerri has the trappings of being the Las Vegas of the east. They should develop based on that uniqueness.
Re: Competition Between Eastern States Should Always Be The Norm by Herald47: 5:50pm On Dec 06, 2015
Owerri should continue with her tourism and hospitality industry,onitsha should continue with her commercial activities,nnewi and aba should continue with her industrial nature.
It's makes no sense for asaba and owerri to wake up one morning and decides to compete with onitsha in commercial,it is achievable but it will take them so many years to catch up with onitsha.

(1) (Reply)

Queen Elizabeth To Attend Coronation Of Ooni Of Ife / Pro-faleke Protesters Lay Siege To INEC Office / Ex President GoodLuck Jonathan Gave Dokpesi N2.1b Contract – Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.