Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,983 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria (16482 Views)

Why Is Unemployment Getting Worse In Nigeria / Why Entrepreneurship Is Not The Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria / How Bad Is It, Going To An Interview With Native Wear? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 23, 2021
pegix:

Check out this video on Youtube on some creatively simple mobile photography ideals that will help you take better photos with your phone. �
Link Below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtowE33VJw
DROP A COMMENT
SUBSCRIBE
_The above won't cause anything_

thanks in advance.

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 23, 2021
Check out this video on Youtube on some creatively simple mobile photography ideals that will help you take better photos with your phone. �

Link Below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtowE33VJw

DROP A COMMENT
SUBSCRIBE

_The above won't cause anything_

thanks in advance.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by mfm04622: 6:04pm On Aug 23, 2021
kudinkarfe:

Economic policies of this FG are not working. there is high inflation rate, mass retrenchment of workers by companies, high cost of living and high unemployment rate. If the fg has a good economy policies things would have change for good. FG need to stop increasing fuel price, electricity tariff, and many taxes imposed on small scale business owners. FG need to work on the security of the country as no foreign investor will invest in a country with high level of insecurity. FG should stop attacking social media like Twitter because it create employment for literate youth. I can go on and on.
1. Inflation: Nigeria has a history of high inflation. High inflation did not start with this govt. As long as we import dependent country, with attendant demand for more foreign currency than available, we will always have high inflation.
Solution: Govt is already encouraging local production using various supports. So what else do you want govt to do to bring down inflation?

2. Increase in fuel price: The fuel subsidy has not been removed, so you can't claim it contributed to high unemployment.
Fuel subsidy is being penny wise and pound foolish! Why should we use all our income in subsidizing consumption instead of investment. Imagine using all the money used on fuel subsidy on infrastructure? The most painful part is we are subsidizing consumption of fuel in the whole of West Africa! Not just our country.
Yes, if fuel subsidy is removed, it will lead to higher inflation in the short while, if the savings is well invested, Nigeria will be better for it. Same issue with subsidy on electricity. I have not seen a serious country that subsidize electricity! Even Saudi Arabia has removed subsidy on electricity. No solution will be provided for this as this is not yet a problem.

3. Taxes on small scale business: Wow!!! FG has given small scale business with turnover of less than 20M tax holiday! That is any business with turnover of less than 20M In a year is not expected to pay Company Income tax! So what exactly are you complaining about? If there are still taxes, they are leveled by States and LGs. Go and meet them to stop such charges.
In addition, how can you expect govt to invest in infrastructure if taxes are not collected? Nigeria has the lowest tax to GDP ratio in the whole world! In the whole world. So Nigerians both as individuals and as companies need to pay more taxes.
So this is not a problem, so no solution will be provided.

4. Security: Govt is working on security! We can see equipment bought and we can see BH surrendering. Bandits are being pacified too. The security is still bad, but govt is working on it. BH is not active all over the country. Bandits too are not active all over the country. Serious investors know no investment opportunity is risk free.
Solution: Govt need to do more. The level of insecurities is still unacceptable even though we know govt is trying.

Twitter ban in Nigeria: which one do you think is more important. Security or employement? What Twitter did in Nigeria can not be accepted in any country in the world. None!!!
In fact, I fully support FG's stance on Twitter. Since the ban, I have stopped using Twitter. How can any govt allow any foreign company to interfere in the internal affairs of the country? Even in the US, people are convicted and sent to prison for working with foreign interest without registering with govt as a foreign agent. Many Trump people were affected. Before Twitter, there have been other means of connecting with your market. Facebook is still there, Instagram is still there. What is special with Twitter?

So what govt policy is contributing to unemployment?

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Ngasky(m): 7:22pm On Aug 23, 2021
Limassol:
i pressume you belong to the fortunate few, probably that could explain why you downplayed the severity of unemployment bedeviling Nigerians. According to NBC,the unemployment rate currently stands at 33.3%, the second highest in the world, i belive,however,that is a conservative estimate as the accurate rate could be far higher. That said, you my friend is out of touch of reality.
According to NBC 33.3% thats equivalent to atleast 70 million Nigerians are unemployed.
Ask yourself those unemployed are they eating sand? Or how did they get food to eat? If they didnt eat how come they are still surviving?
By that assessment if we share equally it means 2 million people per state. I challenge you to bring a single picture of 10 really hungry people in your locality.
As far as one can eat and have energy that person is not unemployed. Whoever is an artisan, farmer, trader did not qualify as unemployed.
What we have is under employment and high ambition by the job seekers. under employment in the sense that the pay is too small compared with same qualifications. and high ambition especially by the graduates. every graduate is expecting hundreds of thousands per month plus 4 beadroom flat + 5 million naira car + driver and retinue of househelps. that is realistically impossible.
Let me tell you one secret. if you want to be rich go into Agriculture. either crops or husbandry thats where the real money is. but unfortunately our youths only want white collar jobs.
Let me give you example. Muslims use to go for hajj as one of the pillars of religion. did you know that every single person that go to hajj for just 30 days or less must have paid at least 1.5 million naira? From Nigeria only more than 60 thousand people use to go every single year apart from those going for lesser hajj if not for this pandemic. Out of this number 90% are from villages only 10% are from the towns and cities. out of these 10% only about 4% are civil servants. it is very difficult for a civil servant to save and go for hajj as every month the salary will be almost 99% spent so no savings.
Those 90% from villages are farmers. they will toil the land or raise their livestock and get their millions one time.
Now the funny part is did you know by NBC standard all those villagers are unemployed? You will also see a begger on the street and give him 10 naira. unknown to you that begger is richer than you. he owns fleet of trailers or herds of cattle somewhere in his village. and you will be pitying the stupid man begging. i have no sympathy for beggers. they are not poor just that they consider begging as a source of livelyhood

3 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Gfskw: 7:44pm On Aug 23, 2021
Really bad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by meedoLock(m): 8:09pm On Aug 23, 2021
Most reason why I would not let my child imitate the same process of education acquisition as my lots has been doing..

The lack of basic technical schools in our states contribute immensely to the lack of innovations year in and out hence, unemployment. And government and our educational parastatals don't want to see this as a case.

My child wil ofcourse acquire education but basic, goes to technical school where he/she can be independent post-training and from there, the circle will continue. I think that's how u run a society to be potent.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by gabrielagber(m): 8:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
Before bandit will come to an end in Nigeria,the govt will create job for the youth.Nigeria welcome bandit by depriving them job of oportunities.Mr president look into this matter of job creation,this 8year tenure there is no employment which is unfair

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by akingbatope: 9:51pm On Aug 23, 2021
Racoon:
Just ask Lai Mohammed if truly the dressing of masquerades have provided the 3M jobs he once lied about.
too bad
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Nickymichy(m): 10:04pm On Aug 23, 2021
To solve unemployment problem in Nigeria we need to revamp our educational sector.. that's the first thing to do...not really creating employment by government
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by yemi1504: 10:15pm On Aug 23, 2021
Lamanii22:
Wow! A post from 2009.... Nigeria was even good then now it's totally worse

Those were PDP days remembered with nostalgia, yes they stole money but jobs were reasonably available especially in outposts like Ibadan (not only jobs available, food and transport was cheap too and most of the country was relatively safe), this can be confirmed by looking at the job threads especially in 2014, that was a great year for employment in Ibadan (ShopRite, Foodco hiring then). Now, to see jobs in Ibadan outside of Teaching or sales girl/boy is like finding a needle in a haystack! Well-done to APC! The demonic party steals money and chases the few jobs available out through its anti-business and anti-people policies! SMH. It is for this assertion I made that I have promised even if PDP continues to present goats as its presidential candidates, I will continue to vote for them! They can steal as blindly as they can, it is none of my business as long as the citizens continue to make a living and the cost of living is cheap which PDP understands unlike that demonic party called All Progressive Criminals - APC!

2 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by yemi1504: 10:26pm On Aug 23, 2021
effort1:

Buhari claimed to create 3 million jobs per year.

Where are the jobs?

You were one of those praising him.

Are you praising him for being a failure?

Do you think you deserve a blessing or curse from your children if they realise you defend someone bent on ruining their destinies even before they are born?

You can be sure, he won't answer that! Unrepentant z0mbies who sold their s0uls for a piece of bread, awon agb3y1ngbeboje!

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 10:27pm On Aug 23, 2021
Ngasky:
Actually it is not as bad as perceived. I believe underemployed should be the real challenge.
As far as you are ready to work without any big ambitious position. One can get a job within 2 weeks or less. Especially if you are dedicated

Private security job is always available. grin grin
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 10:29pm On Aug 23, 2021
JavaScript90:
What is unemployment? I believe people just can't bring down themselves to do certain jobs due to their ego or certificate. I remember 2011 when I finished waec I had to start offloading plantain to make ends meet though my colleagues opted to do sales girl /boy and other minor jobs until person enter university. Now we dib graduate my colleagues who didn't find white collar jobs are either sowing,buying/selling, into crypto or other stuffs. Honestly I don't know any that is not 'working'. The problem is that everyone wants high paying government/private jobs which everyone can't get. I honestly believe that what we actually have in the country is under-employment not unemployment

Unemplotment rate is 33%. The problem is real

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by yemi1504: 10:29pm On Aug 23, 2021
micflo28:
Some youths are just plain stupid. It’s better you gather that 20k for some years and venture into farming before considering marriage. People think having children is better than having investment, when you spend your years having and taking care of children, you will be left with nothing to leave for them and they continue in that cycle.

Farming that Buhari's br0thers and k1nsmen can lay to waste in one night? At least, that is even good! What if such person is kidnapped by bandits on the way to his or her farm, that one na double wahala o!
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by yemi1504: 10:30pm On Aug 23, 2021
Omohena:
Nigeria job is whom u know oo

And also where you come from too o!
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2021
Bigfish121:
Govt alone can not solve the problem of unemployment.

It is government duty to provide the right environment for business to thrive so they can create jobs. That's the truth.

It is the quality of government policies and the depth of their implementation or non-implrmentation that differentiates winners from losers.

Many of Buhari's policies are horrid. The worst policy are his forex policies which screams economic illiteracy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by yemi1504: 10:53pm On Aug 23, 2021
Princeps:

Understand the product/services you are selling
Understand your target customers and their issues
Analyze your competition.
Create your value proposition unique to each customer
Engage your customer for feedback.
Modify your proposition if necessary
Close the deal.
Good relationship with customer decision makers and influencers goes a long way in helping to close deals.

You also forgot you have to be like them too! My mishaps in sales (I worked as a Credit Officer marketing group loans basically) here showed me Nigerians are way more particular with the person and personality than the message unlike in saner climes! I was a salesman abroad and loved it! The whites don't care if they hate you, once there is something in it for them and you are very honest (honesty is not too sure here for example), they will patronize you! We can even see the effect of that marketing with most voters in the last election between Buhari and Atiku, one was billed an incorruptible man despite seeming security challenges then (you remember the Benue massacre of 100+ people? I did then, that was why I supported Atiku, my fear was that it was going to be nationwide and that is exactly what happened! Unfortunately, Nigerians don't learn SMH) and the other a thief. Nigerians didn't care about what messages they gave and who had better ideas and we are suffering for that shallow thinking currently. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by zebnatural: 11:36pm On Aug 23, 2021
Every multinational in Nigeria subjects all there employees to pure slavery , from maritime / communication / aviation / Technology and every other sectors including companies own by our government.

2 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by nextstep(m): 12:17am On Aug 24, 2021
dblock:
Like if you go to University studying any course in Nigeria and you get an achievement between Average and Excellent. How likely are you to get a decent job in the job market.
If unemployment is so bad, why do people bother going to university?
To linger around until something comes up?
What is the unbiased, impersonal truth to unemployment in the entire country.

To be honest, good grades do not count for anything in this country anymore... only long leg. Most people are better of using that time and money to start a business, ideally manufacturing. We don't make enough, and we have too many people trading (mostly selling things made abroad, which drives their economic growth).

Trouble is any type of manufacturing is risky and takes a lot of time to become established and profitable, given the climate, but I would like to suggest our youths go into things like food packaging, dress making, shoemaking, farming. Yes, I know that farming has become quite dangerous under PMB, but for instance, Gov. Okowa in Delta is actively training and empowering youths in various agricultural and livestock endeavors.

One example of what can be done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hoQxJJly4
start around 8:11
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by BBBricks: 4:43am On Aug 24, 2021
i dont blame guys who go no more to school

because school is just a waste of time

63334 is just a waste of time

the sixteen years if you use am hustle, if na house, car, or wife you for don get tey tey

na hand work dey reign now

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Princeps: 9:05am On Aug 24, 2021
yemi1504:

You also forgot you have to be like them too! My mishaps in sales (I worked as a Credit Officer marketing group loans basically) here showed me Nigerians are way more particular with the person and personality than the message unlike in saner climes! I was a salesman abroad and loved it! The whites don't care if they hate you, once there is something in it for them and you are very honest (honesty is not too sure here for example), they will patronize you! We can even see the effect of that marketing with most voters in the last election between Buhari and Atiku, one was billed an incorruptible man despite seeming security challenges then (you remember the Benue massacre of 100+ people? I did then, that was why I supported Atiku, my fear was that it was going to be nationwide and that is exactly what happened! Unfortunately, Nigerians don't learn SMH) and the other a thief. Nigerians didn't care about what messages they gave and who had better ideas and we are suffering for that shallow thinking currently. I rest my case.
I agree with you, in most cases there needs to be a rapport between salesperson and customer for business to be possible. Also, a lot of customer procurement decisions in Nigeria is driven by budget rather than by long-term value.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 24, 2021
Its really bad, imagine a graduate paid 15k salary, it is well sha
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by RodgersAkpafu: 11:12am On Aug 24, 2021
dblock:
Like if you go to University studying any course in Nigeria and you get an achievement between Average and Excellent. How likely are you to get a decent job in the job market.

If unemployment is so bad, why do people bother going to university?

To linger around until something comes up?

What is the unbiased, impersonal truth to unemployment in the entire country.
Its wild in 2021
Think of how it will be in 2029
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by RodgersAkpafu: 11:13am On Aug 24, 2021
xyz123456:
2009 thread now on FP in 2021. Unemployment for 2009 na child's play. Only God knows what will happen in 2030.
Anyway get scholarship to become a frontend developer, Backend Developer, Data Scienitst etc at https://ustacky.com/quiz
Exactly what I said
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by yemi1504: 12:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
Princeps:
I agree with you, in most cases there needs to be a rapport between salesperson and customer for business to be possible. Also, a lot of customer procurement decisions in Nigeria is driven by budget rather than by long-term value.

Exactly, just wanted to clear the air on that! So you see some of us will not be able to be entrepreneurs due to the low sales skills we have.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by CsRockefeller(m): 2:59am On Aug 25, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Are you more than 30 years

I'm 28. Why do you ask?
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Gisthaphy(f): 9:56pm On Aug 26, 2021
JavaScript90:
What is unemployment? I believe people just can't bring down themselves to do certain jobs due to their ego or certificate. I remember 2011 when I finished waec I had to start offloading plantain to make ends meet though my colleagues opted to do sales girl /boy and other minor jobs until person enter university. Now we dib graduate my colleagues who didn't find white collar jobs are either sowing,buying/selling, into crypto or other stuffs. Honestly I don't know any that is not 'working'. The problem is that everyone wants high paying government/private jobs which everyone can't get. I honestly believe that what we actually have in the country is under-employment not unemployment

Are you still in the plantain business?
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 5:14am On Aug 27, 2021
Gisthaphy:

Are you still in the plantain business?

Lol. No. I stop as ssin as I gained admission into the university. I have graduated and I am now into web development

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Achievers University, Owo Academic Job Recruitment (30 Positions) / Jumia Summer Internship Programme 2016 / 10 Common Sense Interview Tips Too Many People Flub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.