Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,090 members, 7,835,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic (2814 Views)

Ademola Adeleke: Top Three Dance Performances Of The Senator-Elect / Meet The Senator Who Signed Andrew Yakubu's Bail (photo) / Did You See The Mistake On The Ministerial List Sent To The Senator Saraki? (Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Mztarstrechy(m): 7:38am On Dec 03, 2015
Meet Bala Ibn Na’Allah, a multi-term Senator representing Kebbi state. He doesn’t appear to be a fan of the freedom of expression Nigerians currently enjoy online.

A bill which he sponsored yesterday passed into second reading at the Senate. The bill is seeking two years imprisonment with an option of N2 million fine for any Nigerian who posts “abusive statements” on the social media. According to the bill; any person who through text messages, tweets, WhatsApp or any of the social media posts any abusive statement knowing same to be false with intent to set the public against any person and/or group of persons, an institution or Government or such other bodies established by law shall be guilty of an offence and upon conviction shall be liable to an imprisonment for two years or a fine of N2 million or both such fine and imprisonment.‎

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 03, 2015
We support this bill. Thank you sir for this bill. SAHARA reporters take note.
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by igraman(m): 7:47am On Dec 03, 2015
I concur with the bill. it will bring sanity and reliability to the social media.
but the jail and bail terms are too gargantuan.
Two months jail and N100 000 is okay.

1 Like

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by KINGTELLER: 7:50am On Dec 03, 2015
The two posters above me should keep quiet. After the present government use the same media to tarnish and topple the previous government, they now want to dump the same tool that aided their campaign.....lobbishh

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 03, 2015
After using the freedom of information bill against the clueless one, now you turn around to oppose it
Don't worry election is coming, you won't be able to use lies again

10 Likes

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by delishpot: 7:56am On Dec 03, 2015
They want to make sure their nyanshes are well hidden. They are smart guys.
Now they can commit crimes and walk about freely cos their victims will not be able to squel on them without evidence.
Much like sharia law of produce 4 withnesses for your rape acusation or forever remain silent.

On the other hand, I believe the bloggers or rumour carriers should be made to publicly appologize and pay a fine if the rumours carried are proven without doubt to be false.

1 Like

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by mazzi: 7:56am On Dec 03, 2015
I don't know whether to support or to kick against it. In fact am kicking against it because APC used this style of media against uncle jona now they are afraid of their shadow

5 Likes

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 03, 2015
This bill can't succed
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by realborn(m): 8:07am On Dec 03, 2015
My opinion:

I do not support the entirety of the Bill.

I support control of frivolous petitions to the Senate and Security Agencies with no basis other than to destroy and demean the victims.

I disagree with the attempt to control social media commentaries. It is an attempt to mute the less influential online commentators who are by far doing a better job to check the excesses of government and unscrupulous individuals. Yes, there will be those who may abuse the medium, however, the existing laws on libel should subsist.

2 Likes

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Bugatie(m): 8:15am On Dec 03, 2015
Please someone should let me know when this bill is passed, 2 years no be here.

But we need bill to curb executive and legislative corruption more

1 Like

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by lordsharks(m): 8:17am On Dec 03, 2015
Not cool
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by obinnashady(m): 8:18am On Dec 03, 2015
So we don't have freedom of speech in this country again abi?
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by hammariise(m): 8:40am On Dec 03, 2015
See his dressing pls and he's still receiving wardrobe allowance.

End time senator

1 Like

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Favolly(f): 8:42am On Dec 03, 2015
Lol! Welcome to the madhouse!!

They had better start building more prisons cos the ones available will not be enough. Plus, I’m not willing to share a bed /space with murderers and thieves. My stay in the prison has to be dignified (as someone who just yabbed a govt in power)
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by DaBullIT(m): 9:06am On Dec 03, 2015
Freedom of speech is free

Freedom after speech, blog or posts may not be free grin
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by teeboila(m): 10:11am On Dec 03, 2015
What's rubbish when we're suppose to be moving for bills that protects whistle blowers we are here passing a satanic bill that limit the usefulness of freedom of information act.

Think this senators are after their own purse and selfish personal gain or what do they gain if no one can question their frivolous activities on the social media.
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by deanoffaculty: 11:21am On Dec 03, 2015
Rubbish!!! How many politicians,even the 'confused' senators that we have presently can raise up his/her hand that he/she did not make use of social media influence to win election? Another means of burying the evil deeds of politicians and corrupt leaders. if you are doing well,why scared of social media power? Instead of them to pass bills that will better the well-being of masses, they are passing nonsense bill amidst so many problems that this country is facing.
This is democracy and not military regime.
Freedom of speech for all is what we want!
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 03, 2015
igraman:
I concur with the bill. it will bring sanity and reliability to the social media.
but the jail and bail terms are too gargantuan.
Two months jail and N100 000 is okay.

I agree with you.

And when this is being implemented. They should come and start with us on nairaland cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by suredata247: 12:04pm On Dec 03, 2015
ok
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by drmikeadams(m): 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2015
hammariise:

End time senator
?..omo dis guy na charley.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Ademolaononuga: 12:41pm On Dec 03, 2015
Whatever happened to the FOI Act? This people sha!
Check out my signature jor
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by garyaustin(m): 1:44pm On Dec 03, 2015
We already have sections 373 to 381 of the criminal code of Nigeria covering every aspect of Libel and Slander. Is there really any need for the duplication?
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by omolami: 2:07pm On Dec 03, 2015
The bill should be killed as it will contradict freedom of speech law. The senator is a dunce
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by omolami: 2:07pm On Dec 03, 2015
The bill should be killed as it will contradict freedom of speech law. The senator is a dunce suggestion plse
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by ken13: 2:22pm On Dec 03, 2015
APC would likely end up badly. It's obvious they ain't ready to tackle the main issues facing us as a nation. God have mercy on us!
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by cjrane: 2:25pm On Dec 03, 2015
Mztarstrechy:

Meet Bala Ibn Na’Allah, a multi-term Senator representing Kebbi state. He doesn’t appear to be a fan of the freedom of expression Nigerians currently enjoy online.

A bill which he sponsored yesterday passed into second reading at the Senate. The bill is seeking two years imprisonment with an option of N2 million fine for any Nigerian who posts “abusive statements” on the social media. According to the bill; any person who through text messages, tweets, WhatsApp or any of the social media posts any abusive statement knowing same to be false with intent to set the public against any person and/or group of persons, an institution or Government or such other bodies established by law shall be guilty of an offence and upon conviction shall be liable to an imprisonment for two years or a fine of N2 million or both such fine and imprisonment.‎

I support him 100%.

Nigerians now use social media to spread false rumours and hatred.
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by baby124: 2:40pm On Dec 03, 2015
Hahhaa e pain am say we yab him village head master dressing. Bitter ibn
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by Okanokan(m): 3:03pm On Dec 03, 2015
What is abusive statement? Yu dey craze, rubbish, slowpoke, fool, ediot, egg-head etc etc are all abusive words, if the senate have nothing good to do they should suspend plenary and go home.
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by presido1: 3:18pm On Dec 03, 2015
hammariise:

End time senator
The dressing is not my problem but how dirty he looks. What happened to his wardrobe allowance? Abi them no follow give am?

1 Like

Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by ojsmscom(m): 4:05pm On Dec 03, 2015
The only tool used by the poor to fight corruption is about being Invaded.... We no go gree. When next you people want to deliberate on that bill, una go jump fence again
Re: See The Senator Who's Pushing 4 A 2yr Jail Sentence 4 Social Media Offenders(pic by jpphilips(m): 11:53pm On Dec 03, 2015
what happened to libel as enshrined in the Constitution?

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Already Moving Economy Beyond Oil, See Projection. / Niger Delta Avengers Threaten To Shock The World. / Pregnant Cow Undergoes Sucessful Operation By "Local Doctors". See What They Did

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.