Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) (7900 Views)

Nigerian Man Tried To Scam On Twitter With A Fake Female Profile, But Got Caught / Kenyan Policeman Batters Girlfriend, Posts Her Nude Photos On Social Media / Couple Drugged, Raped Friend’s Wife, Share On Social Media Over N1.2m Debt (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Nobody: 3:39pm On Dec 03, 2015
I was busy chatting with my friend on Blackberry messenger when i received a request from an unknown person. He introduced himself as James Kingston from Edinburgh, Scotland. He continued by inquiring about my job and city i reside in. He then went further by asking if i could come on webcam so he could see who he was chatting with. I then declined telling him i use a blackberry device. Her further inquired on why i don't have any Apple device considering how common it has become these days. I replied with a negative while wondering why he was so desperate to see me.

This was when he dropped the bomb. He said he would buy me an apple device which he would send to me. This caught me by surprise as i never imagined someone somewhere in the world who doesn't even know you would do such a thing. Later that evening, he sent pictures of the Apple devices he purportedly bought for me.

I was so amazed and surprised at the same time. A part of me was happy about the prospects of being a proud owner of an iPhone 6 and a MacBook Pro. I imagined on how much fun blogging on an Apple laptop would be. I even thought to myself the Lind Ikeji doesn't even use an Apple laptop yet see how much she's accomplished with her blog. I thought on how much fun mobile blogging would be.
CDQ and WizKids track 'No wo e soke was on replay' . I practically danced all night .

Meanwhile he had asked for my Name and address as that would be needed for him to ship my gift. So i gave him my post office box address. He also asked for my city and phone number. I was cautious, I knew the probability of it being a scam was high. It just sounded too good to be true, being a thorough bred Lasgidi boy myself, gimmicks and scams like this are not new to me. I knew it was only a matter of time before the whole thing would unfold. I even knew where they were driving at. I knew at some point they would request for money for either customs or shipping.

Then the next day came. My new friend James Kingston was supposed to ship his gift to me in Nigeria. i patiently waited until evening when he would drop a BBM message. Later that night, his message came through, he said he was not able to ship the Package. he promised he would do it without fail the next day.

It now became glaring to me that it was a scam. So i just played along to see the outcome. The next day, true to his word, he said he had sent the package he also sent this document as proof. He has shipped it through British Airways cargo service and i would receive the package in the next 6 to 8 hours.

Then he sent the shipping document.
It was now very obvious it was a scam. but i decided to play along to get the scammers details and expose him so unsuspecting victims wont fall for this cheap scam.
i then called the customer service number +2349054612746. and he forwarded his bank details so i can make payments to cover shipping services from Abuja to my address in Lagos.

It wasn't long after i was fully convinced that he was a scam that a neighbor called me on the phone to find out on what address he would send to someone abroad who wanted to send him a 'package'. It was then obvious to me he was about to fall prey for the same scam. In his own case, it was a woman. i told him he should just chill till we see so i can get full details on the person who was about to send him a 'package'.

Only God know how many people would have fallen for this cheap scam so i thought i should share so other people can be careful about a stranger who wants to send them gifts.

Kindly share this story for others to learn from this crazy experience.

http://gidilink..com.ng/2015/12/beware-of-this-new-scam-on-social.html

Below are pictures of the items and the purported shipping documents.

1 Share

Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by prestige2013: 3:50pm On Dec 03, 2015
Scammers everywhere,
Political Thieves everywhere,

Scamming is not a crime,
Stealing is not corruption.

Where are we heading to in this Nation??
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 03, 2015
Odikwa very serious . Lalasticlala
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by izsmike: 4:24pm On Dec 03, 2015
Wat kinda long scam is this... Ayam not reading jor
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 03, 2015
izsmike:
Wat kinda long scam is this... Ayam not reading jor
I'm sure you can't even read to save your life. Smh!
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 03, 2015
End time scammers. cry
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by tennyson10: 6:52am On Dec 04, 2015
Op,I partially fell for this scam. I was told to pay #7500 for delivery to lagos which I did. Later yesterday I was told to pay a sum of #24500 for local delivery charges. I went to the bank to pay .I was on the queue when a thought came to search google with the keywords "scam british airline cargo" and I was directed to nairaland nd that's how I was saved. The scam was really cheap but greed covered my eyes,nairalanders beware!
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by shaiba(f): 7:10am On Dec 04, 2015
U can smell a lie and scam a mile away cheesy

Just met some one on BB and bang!! wants to buy apple phones and such and ship them to me in Nigeria cheesy

Quietly take a filled out a teller of the account they sent u (don't pay any money) and send a snap shot ask him to refund your money.
So u r even. He sent snap shot of phone and u send snap shot of money, shekina cheesy

On a serious note we have to be careful especially this season.
Be wise cool

1 Like

Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Ayt27(m): 8:14am On Dec 04, 2015
If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 04, 2015
tennyson10:
Op,I partially fell for this scam. I was told to pay #7500 for delivery to lagos which I did. Later yesterday I was told to pay a sum of #24500 for local delivery charges. I went to the bank to pay .I was on the queue when a thought came to search google with the keywords "scam british airline cargo" and I was directed to nairaland nd that's how I was saved. The scam was really cheap but greed covered my eyes,nairalanders beware!
Wow!
I know there are lots of people out there who have or about to fall for this scam yet the supermods chose to turn a blind eye on this.
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by tennyson10: 9:54am On Dec 04, 2015
brandnew3:

Wow!
I know there are lots of people out there who have or about to fall for this scam yet the supermods chose to turn a blind eye on this.
. This is the thread I was directed to yesterday https://www.nairaland.com/2431460/beware-guy-scam. CC lalasticala ,seun
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 04, 2015
tennyson10:
. This is the thread I was directed to yesterday https://www.nairaland.com/2431460/beware-guy-scam. CC lalasticala ,seun
Apparently, it's been going on for a long time and it seems several scammers use it on unsuspecting victims.

Hmmm!
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by Ayo081(m): 10:53am On Dec 04, 2015
tennyson10:
c as dem gba my friend embarassed

1 Like

Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by NnaNna4(m): 11:01pm On Dec 04, 2015
Front page
Re: Beware Of This New Scam On Social Media. (my Experience) by uchh(m): 7:03am On Apr 05, 2020
One also try to scam me recently. They use dating apps to catch easy prey. Here are his account number details and phone number used

British Airways World Cargo Service, your Parcel have arrive here in Nigeria.contact our customer help line for more information. 09041163597

British Airways dispatch manager
3126370077 Abegbe Sylvester First Bank

Pls everyone be careful and report to efcc accordingly.

(1) (Reply)

A Pregnant Woman Caught In A Hotel By Her Husband / Muslim Shouts "Inshallah" As He Rapes Student Then Asks Her If She Enjoyed It / A Girl Was Raped In My Neighbourhood Overnight. (photo updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.