Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori (21269 Views)

I’m Ready To Testify Against Ibori Over $15m Bribe - Former EFCC Boss, Ribadu / UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori / Nigeria To Receive Another $750m (n150 bn) From Abacha’s Loot; N2bn From Ibori’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Marlboro1: 4:04am On Dec 07, 2015
A former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, at the weekend said about $60billion looted funds left Africa yearly.

He said ex-Delta State Governor James Ibori attempted to bribe him with $15million in two big bags, but he resisted.

Ribadu said the bribe was, however, deposited in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to serve as evidence against him.

The ex-EFCC boss, who spoke at the TEDx Talk in Berlin, Germany, said although “anti-corruption war is the most dangerous work, this is one war worth fighting.”

In the video clip, released on You Tube by Ribadu Media Office and transcribed by our correspondent, Ribadu said: “Do you know that every year, $60billion leaves Africa illegally? This figure is from the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).

“Billions are going out of Africa every year. I’m a Nigerian and I am from this paradoxical continent where today our most notorious export in Africa is stolen money.”

He explained how he resisted the $15million bribe from Ibori.

Ribadu said: “Ibori approached me with $15million to stop his investigation. I called my people because the money was in big bags, which two people could not carry and we deposited it in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) as evidence against him.

“I arrested Ibori and prosecuted him. Since his friend was in power, they removed me, sent me to a school as a student where I was once a teacher.

“They made attempts on my life, but they did not know I was using a bullet-proof Honda car. As God would have it, ex-President Umaru Yar’Adua died. Ibori escaped to Dubai from where he was taken to the United Kingdom for trial. He is serving a jail term in the UK.”

On the trial and conviction of ex-Inspector-General of Police Tafa Balogun, the former EFCC chairman said the case was a by-product of the investigation of Emmanuel Nwude, who duped a Brazilian bank of $254m.

He said: “The case of Nwude made us to be more determined. In the course of his case, I stumbled on an account belonging to my boss, Tafa Balogun. I arrested him, he was tried and convicted, and I recovered enough from him.

“We also investigated and tried about 49 chief executives of banks. Fighting corruption is a war and if you are in a war, you must go for the big targets.”

On the $184m Halliburton scandal, Ribadu said: “A gang of foreigners stole from Nigeria” from a $6 billion natural gas contract won by a consortium of four international companies.

He said the investigation was almost running into a brick wall, but he was persistent.

Ribadu added: “I first got hint of the case in France. I returned home and tried to investigate the case, but it was very difficult or probably impossible because the companies were not there in Nigeria, they didn’t have account there, the people were not there. They had left.

“I rushed back to Paris. I was in Paris many times. I wrote a request letter, but after a year of trying to get French authorities to help us, the investigation magistrate told me that they could not get anyone to translate my letter from English to French. I knew it was a hopeless case.”

He said after failing to get France, Italy and Japan to help, he opted to go to the United States, although Dick Cheney, the then US vice president, was on the board of Halliburton.

“The Department of Justice in the United States took up the case. They investigated and prosecuted the case. They placed a fine of over $1.5billion on the company, the biggest in the world for corporate corruption.”

Ribadu said some of the cases, which the EFCC under his watch referred to US Department of Justice, including those of Siemens and Julius Berger, the US made over $3billion in fines.

He added: “But the sad aspect is this, in my own country, where the criminal activity took place, not a person was made to face justice, especially after I was asked to leave my position. Sadly, Nigeria did not make a dollar out of it.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/ribadu-opens-up-on-60b-looted-funds-15m-bribe-from-ibori/

17 Likes

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by MKO4ever(m): 4:11am On Dec 07, 2015
It seems the only thing people talk about at TEDx is corruption, because I remember when Sanusi was invited, his speech was on a similar topic

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by enigstil(m): 4:12am On Dec 07, 2015
Honestly I want to believe that till this present administration will end we will keep on hearing things like this with nothing concrete done to this crooks. Everytime you will hear so so amount collected from this and that, at the end of the day no records or how the money has been spent. I don't see anything changing any time soon. There are a lot of power brokers in this country. May God help us out of this mess we gotten our ourselves.

7 Likes

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by WILL888(m): 4:19am On Dec 07, 2015
This continent is doomed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Ahmed0336(m): 4:19am On Dec 07, 2015
End time continent undecided
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Demmocrats(m): 4:19am On Dec 07, 2015
shocked
He said ex-Delta State Governor James Ibori attempted to bribe him with $15million in two big bags, but he resisted.

So please explain to us how you got the money you used for campaigning during election.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by blazetitov: 4:21am On Dec 07, 2015
To some people James Ibori is still their hero. Wait and see the grand reception they will give him in delta once he is out of prison

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by kidgod: 4:27am On Dec 07, 2015
Observing
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Extom(m): 4:52am On Dec 07, 2015
*abruptly removes glasses, whilst jumping out of the reclining chair, and shaking the dailies to make sure what he was reading was correct* He rejected 15 million dollars?? shocked shocked shocked
I always knew Nuhu was the main man. cool

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Anijay1212(m): 5:10am On Dec 07, 2015
This is one of the reason Africa will always play second fiddle "abi nah last fiddle sef" to the rest of the world.
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by hammariise(m): 5:31am On Dec 07, 2015
End time stealing
End time corruption
End time looters
End time Africans

But,,,,,,,,,,,
Since PMB brings Magu
Magu will dealt with them
And everything will be alright for Nigeria.
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by shepherd77: 5:33am On Dec 07, 2015
hammariise:
End time stealing
End time corruption
End time looters
End time Africans
But,,,,,,,,,,,
Since PMB brings Magu
Magu will dealt with them
And everything will be alright for Nigeria.

That name Magu is to be feared.he'll make criminals squeal if in doubt ask Dasuki.

Anyway if anyone is interested in Dragnet, SHL, Workforce test questions & Answers, Check this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/2685888/myjob-mobile-app-android

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Meriekriss: 5:35am On Dec 07, 2015
These billions of pounds these ppl kip mentioning dey give me serious heart attack eh...

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by trapQ: 5:38am On Dec 07, 2015
Hundreds of thousands of people die yearly from corruption and looting of public funds. I sincerely wish death on every looter.

4 Likes

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by hammariise(m): 5:39am On Dec 07, 2015
; D
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by hammariise(m): 5:40am On Dec 07, 2015
grin grin
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 07, 2015
Ribadu abeg pack well, you want make obasanjo and Atiku go jail??
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Chubhie: 7:22am On Dec 07, 2015
If Bubu is truly set to fight corruption, shouldn't Ribadu be made the EFCC chairman and given presidential licence to do a through job? Save perhaps Bubu places personal interests above national interests.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Gbengais(m): 7:22am On Dec 07, 2015
enigstil:
Honestly I want to believe that till this present administration will end we will keep on hearing things like this with nothing concrete done to this crooks. Everytime you will hear so so amount collected from this and that, at the end of the day no records or how the money has been spent. I don't see anything changing any time soon. There are a lot of power brokers in this country. May God help us out of this mess we gotten our ourselves.

If the foundation be weak, the buider buildeth in vain. I hope your brain can comprehend this.
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by tunex23: 7:24am On Dec 07, 2015
Stealing is not corruption undecided by Otuoke Goat

15 Likes

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by looseweight: 9:54am On Dec 07, 2015
Lemme read first
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by emmaliveth10(m): 9:55am On Dec 07, 2015

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Daslim180(m): 9:55am On Dec 07, 2015
Corruption sha
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by HungerBAD: 9:55am On Dec 07, 2015
Ribadu?

This is one man, that lost the opportunity to be relevant in Nigeria, because he chose to dine with thieves (PDP)

He has nothing to tell me.

11 Likes

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by Berrylite: 9:55am On Dec 07, 2015
Okkk
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by gokay11(m): 9:56am On Dec 07, 2015
Thieves everywhere Ribadu inclusive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by kennyman2000(m): 9:56am On Dec 07, 2015
Hmmmmm.... Era of revelations.
Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by SylarsMcQuins: 9:56am On Dec 07, 2015
Abegi pack well

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori by bluaero(m): 9:58am On Dec 07, 2015
Corruption has eaten deep into the system. Sadly, to completely kill corruption, you make end up killing the entire system.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Story, By Justice Dimgba - The Impunity Of The DSS / Ignore Ekpa’s Sit-At-Home Order, IPOB Tells Igbo In Lagos / Update On The Ongoing Construction Of Oshodi Transport Interchange - Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.