Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,850 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know (53118 Views)

Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander / 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by carinmom(f): 4:59pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
[size=20]2.[/size]The sun rotates

No No not like an average planet out there, but yes the Sun rotates too..

The sun is a ball of Gas and so is not expected to rotate like most planets that are most times solid.

It rotates at different intervals on distinct latitudinal lines across it... Faster on the equator and slower at the poles..

Scientists erroneously used to believe that the sun was stationary, we were taught this in secondary school. But guess what, Allah SWT stated this in the Quran 1400 yrs ago the sun was never stationary cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 14, 2016
adonbilivit
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:03pm On Feb 14, 2016
carinmom:

Scientists erroneously used to believe that the sun was stationary, we were taught this in secondary school. But guess what, Allah SWT stated this in the Quran 1400 yrs ago the sun was never stationary cool
What you were taught in the secondary school was exactly what is in your curriculum and not what is up to date with scientific findings and please don't bring religious brouhaha into this... You can take that to the Religion section

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by kilisi(m): 5:03pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
Am also waiting for an explanation
I guess he's talking about the level of organisation found in the universe even down to subatomic levels
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by carinmom(f): 5:05pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
What you were taught in the secondary school was exactly what is in your curriculum and not what is up to date with scientific findings and please don't bring religious brouhaha into this... You can take that to the Religion section
Are you pained

2 Likes

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by taurus25(m): 5:05pm On Feb 14, 2016
great664:
Which instrument was used to measure them, mostly the Canis or UY Skuti to determine their size and how many miles they are far from earth?

This are just fables, tales by moonlight just to continue thier ideology that God doesn't exist.

Why is that all Astrology/Astronomy practice atheism?

These are what they use to continue holding them in bondage, was on the edge of. Believing them but thank God for his intervention

please can you kindly swerve out of this topic if you have nothing meaningful to contribute.

thanks in advance, good job johnydon22 , knowlege is compulsory!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:07pm On Feb 14, 2016
kilisi:

I guess he's talking about the level of organisation found in the universe even down to subatomic levels
Am not sure because in the Subatomic levels Quantum behaviours are still so spooky to us that it contradicts almost all the natural laws observable in this macro level
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:08pm On Feb 14, 2016
carinmom:

Are you pained
No madam don't just want to deal with religious mumbo jumbo in the science section so as not to derail the thread...
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by carinmom(f): 5:11pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
No madam don't just want to deal with religious mumbo jumbo in the science section so as not to derail the thread...
Okay, i have interest in this thread because I'm a geographer cool kudos.

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by kilisi(m): 5:12pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
Am not sure because in the Subatomic levels Quantum behaviours are still so spooky to us that it contradicts almost all the natural laws observable in this macro level
oh well I'll leave it there. It appears I'm outdated when it comes to quantum physics. I'm an agric graduate though. Thanks for the info. I'll do further research.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Gluthatione: 5:14pm On Feb 14, 2016
Front page at last since Dec because this is not in romance section or Tonto dick story our mod sha oga ooo

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:15pm On Feb 14, 2016
kilisi:

oh well I'll leave it there. It appears I'm outdated when it comes to quantum physics. I'm an agric graduate though. Thanks for the info. I'll do further research.
Thank you bro... I hope you hit us with threads on Agricultural science, i will be really glad to read them boss
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by 9jatatafo(m): 5:15pm On Feb 14, 2016
Science class oya let's go to the lab for experiment
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:16pm On Feb 14, 2016
carinmom:
Okay, i have interest in this thread because I'm a geographer cool kudos.
Geo was one of my best in sec school
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by impossible27(m): 5:22pm On Feb 14, 2016
@op when are we going to have our next solar attack Jst curious so dat i can pray 4 the world.......
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:25pm On Feb 14, 2016
impossible27:
@op when are we going to have our next solar attack Jst curious so dat i can pray 4 the world.......
The sun is constantly spewing dangerous radiations and solar winds but do not worry, Just like every other planet with molten core they all possess a magnetic field that shields them from solar winds and extreme radiation... So don't worry about that you are ok
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by hadura29(m): 5:32pm On Feb 14, 2016
Feraz:
I talk am. . . cheesy

Thanks. . .

My brain may have to be opened up to 50 - 60% to feel the rotation of the earth and that of the sun (Lucy things). . . wink

Ahn ahn... You too like film jor.. Me just need 30% pere....
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by DEIFIED(m): 5:34pm On Feb 14, 2016
Nice, informative.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 14, 2016
@Johnydon22,

Now you state the sun is also rotating along with the Spiral arms of the Galaxy. My question is : Is there a year of the sun's revolution Just curious oh,
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by MrOlai: 5:36pm On Feb 14, 2016
Kudos! Well done! @ OP
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by impossible27(m): 5:37pm On Feb 14, 2016
Waw. Very intresting trend
johnydon22:

The sun is constantly spewing dangerous radiations and solar winds but do not worry, Just like every other planet with molten core they all possess a magnetic field that shields them from solar winds and extreme radiation... So don't worry about that you are ok
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:37pm On Feb 14, 2016
SirWere:
@Johnydon22,

Now you state the sun is also rotating along with the Spiral arms of the Galaxy. My question is : Is there a year of the sun's revolution Just curious oh,
Hahahahaha you can say that.. it take ±250million of our own years for the sun to complete one revolution around the galaxy..

So you can put it like 1sun year = ±250million earth years grin
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:

Hahahahaha you can say that.. it take ±250million of our own years for the sun to complete one revolution around the galaxy..
Next question, Is there a measure for a day grin?
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by kevoh(m): 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
I doubt if humanity will survive to that period but i think there will still be some life forms in the planet by then and when it happens every life form on this planet will be fried by the extreme heat from the over-sized red giant.. Just imagine earth being exactly like Mercury
Humans are intelligent species! wink 5 billion years is more than enough time for humans to have discovered a habitable planet or create various technologies to force a particular planet to be habitable for them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:40pm On Feb 14, 2016
SirWere:
Next question, Is there a measure for a day grin?
No undecided Its a glowing ball of hot burning gas for Christ sake!!!angrygrin
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by impossible27(m): 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2016
Dat means d sun most have a very big orbit bigger than the earth which rounds it
johnydon22:

So you can put it like 1sun year = ±250million earth years grin
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:44pm On Feb 14, 2016
kevoh:

Humans are intelligent species! wink 5 billion years is more than enough time for humans to have discovered a habitable planet or create various technologies to force a particular planet to be habitable for them.
Yeah my fingers are crossed on that..

We can start from Mars.. Melting Mars core with gain mars a magnetic field to protect it's naked barren world from solar winds and then minimize it's atmospheric loss.

then mars can be restored gradually
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
No undecided Its a glowing ball of hot burning gas for Christ sake!!!angrygrin

With the removal of hot and burning, the same could be said for Jupiter and other Gas Giants.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:46pm On Feb 14, 2016
impossible27:
Dat means d sun most have a very big orbit bigger than the earth which rounds it
The sun orbits the milky way galactic center and the milky way is 100,000light years in diameter (9trillion × 100,000) and the sun is 27,000 light years from the galactic center so it takes a whole lot of time to orbit such distance.. we are all orbiting the galactic center with the sun
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Zico0(m): 5:46pm On Feb 14, 2016
All these things are hard to understand o. ☆Happy☆ ♡Valentine's♡ ☆Day☆
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 5:47pm On Feb 14, 2016
SirWere:

With the removal of hot and burning, the same could be said for Jupiter and other Gas Giants.
You said it .. "Hot and Burning" remember "Nuclear fusion at the core"
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by kevoh(m): 5:52pm On Feb 14, 2016
johnydon22:
Yeah my fingers are crossed on that..

We can start from Mars.. Melting Mars core with gain mass a magnetic field to protect it's naked barren world from solar winds and then minimize it's atmospheric loss.

then mass can be restored gradually

That's a step! Terraforming is the way.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Civet Killed In Ogun Bush In Osere Matogun / Extreme Weather Conditions: 19 Coldest And Hottest Inhabited Places On Earth. / Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.